[ Sign In | Register ]

• AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Jul 23rd 2018

I like Metallica's output up to and including Load. Each album has its own flavour. Rides my favourite. Justice my least (although I still really like it).
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jul 23rd 2018

I struggled with Load when it came out. I didn't even buy it. King Nothing was the only track that came across. More recently I went back and listened and it was a better record than I gave it credit for.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jul 23rd 2018

The songs on Justice are good. The production though is atrocious. If it had the production of TBA it would be killer.
    Justice is Metallica's BUYV.
    • Jul 23rd 2018

At least you can hear the bass on BUYV. Justice may as well have been recorded by the White Stripes.
    • Jul 23rd 2018

Load is a good hard rock record. Not a great one but definitely a good one in my book.
    Yes, Justice has some great moments. Took me a bit to get used to it.

My biggest gripe is the length of songs on that album and even the last one (which has quality music).

I can't get into most 7-9 minute songs these days. Back in the early 80s there would be one or two 7-minutes songs on a metal album and now they're the norm.

Perhaps too much AC/DC has trained me to want the song over and done in 4 minutes.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Jul 23rd 2018

Posted By: JemI struggled with Load when it came out. I didn't even buy it. King Nothing was the only track that came across. More recently I went back and listened and it was a better record than I gave it credit for.
    I had the same feeling at the time, now I love the album, it's not metal but it's a damn fine hard rock record. I even like the ReLoad...there I said it...
    Load is actually a very good record as long as it's not compared to past glories. Some really great lyrics and riffs on it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jul 23rd 2018

Posted By: ThankassThe songs on Justice are good. The production though is atrocious. If it had the production of TBA it would be killer.

????

Really? I think the production suits the songs. Sounds fantastic to me.
    Mind you, production has never stood in the way of enjoyment. I still think FOTW is a beaut!

AJFA my favourite Metal Alex album by miles.
    •  
    • Jul 23rd 2018

Posted By: azel
    Posted By: ThankassThe songs on Justice are good. The production though is atrocious. If it had the production of TBA it would be killer.

????

Mind you, production has never stood in the way of enjoyment. I still think FOTW is a beaut!

I kinda like the production on AJFA but it really pisses me off that you can't hear any bass at all, that's a bloody shame.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jul 23rd 2018

Posted By: Rikha

????

I kinda like the production on AJFA but it really pisses me off that you can't hear any bass at all, that's a bloody shame.

Really?
    I think the whole album has a Sabbath sound, which is perfect for that band at that time.

I do admit, I’m not your typical ‘tallica fan though, and not keen on their thrashier sound, so what do I know ;)
    •  
    • Jul 23rd 2018 edited

Posted By: Rikha

????

Really?
    I think the whole album has a Sabbath sound, which is perfect for that band at that time.

I do admit, I’m not your typical ‘tallica fan though, and not keen on their thrashier sound, so what do I know ;)
    It's an amazing album guitar and drums wise but they totally and intentionally cut off Jason from the mix.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jul 23rd 2018

The drums, and especially the bassdrum, are also weak and thin. Bassdrum is clicking like hell. If you compare that to the drums on TBA it's a night and day difference.
    Have always been into the Melvins, which was the band Kurt roaded for and had a genuine influence on his direction/sound. King Buzzo has a few thoughts on Dave. 5 drummers Nirvana went through before Buzz suggested Dave with Dale Crover from the Melvins playing on Bleach. Some might see it as jealousy but you be the judge.

Posted By: shakystuffHave always been into the Melvins, which was the band Kurt roaded for and had a genuine influence on his direction/sound. King Buzzo has a few thoughts on Dave. 5 drummers Nirvana went through before Buzz suggested Dave with Dale Crover from the Melvins playing on Bleach. Some might see it as jealousy but you be the judge.

What a prick
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jul 24th 2018

King Buzzo is totally right about arenas, but what do you do when a lot of people want to come and see you? Play 5 nights in a 3000 seater instead? That's exhausting, especially for older bands.

Yeah, little punk shows are more intimate - but that's because only 40 people bought tickets.
    Posted By: BrianyKing Buzzo is totally right about arenas, but what do you do when a lot of people want to come and see you? Play 5 nights in a 3000 seater instead? That's exhausting, especially for older bands.

Yeah, little punk shows are more intimate - but that's because only 40 people bought tickets.

I always have a little bit of sympathy with people who've been in massively influential bands that made no money and KB is one. Ramones are another, and Johnny Thunders/the Dolls, too.
    maybe 15 years ago i liked their first two or three records alot. But my personal tastes have changed and i don't even care to listen to them really ever again. I don't drink the same beer from 15 years ago either!

I feel like they are a good example of what brian used to talk about. "Rock" without the "roll". they play hard and heavy, not watered down for radio, but theres a lack of groove
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Aug 6th 2018 edited

This is not going to please the people that want Dave to stick to just the drums.

•  
    • Aug 6th 2018

How can you not like these guys at least on some level. What a fun ride they are having.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: CliffFIN
    • Aug 7th 2018

I like Dave, he has a great taste in music and he is a great singer,guitarist and drummer. Like Nirvana.

But FF is too lame, too poppy and too soft. It is American Radio Rock in my genre boxes, in the same box as Nickelback (yackyyackyackyacky). Some great songs, especially in the first few albums and Pretender is good. But too calculated and lack surprises and good enough hooks.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018

One may not like the Foo Fighters or Nickelback, but it's hard to say they're objectively shit because they've both been able to remain successful for nearly 25 years. You can see an act fluking one hit song or getting a two-year run at success and then be never heard from again, but when you have a band who can stay relevant for an extended period of time, i.e. years & years, then I believe they must have something, even if it's not my cup of tea.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018

What a reasonable and mature position to take. It’ll never catch on :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Aug 7th 2018

They try too hard, keep it simple stupid - less is more.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018

Here's what you get when you don't try too hard (video-wise, I mean. Song's great)

^it's a piss take my dude, and it worked
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Aug 7th 2018

Really like their first albums though. And Probot.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018

Posted By: Spellbound^it's a piss take my dude, and it worked

A piss take of what? It looked too clean to be a send-up of those old 60s/70s chroma-key videos that some said they were parodying, and I don't know how the random public-domain clips that were inserted into it fit that supposedly-intended look. Maybe the band weren't that bothered what the video would be, and Mallet had lost his marbles
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Aug 7th 2018 edited

It was deliberately bad for shits and giggles. They had to make a fun music video to help sell the single, Rock or Bust did the serious mime thing as good as it possibly could've. A huge band releasing the video equivalent to "DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER LAUGHTER?" - that's the joke.

It did it's job. Every single person who thought it was released like that unfinished got played, and it's still funny.

If no one was in on the joke, and they accidentally left in those green screen lines around the band members, I'll throw my vintage Marshall super bass off of the roof.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018

Posted By: SpellboundIt was deliberately bad for shits and giggles. They had to make a fun music video to help sell the single, Rock or Bust did the serious mime thing as good as it possibly could've. A huge band releasing the video equivalent to "DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER LAUGHTER?" - that's the joke.

It did it's job. Every single person who thought it was released like that unfinished got played, and it's still funny.

I hope you're right, otherwise....may god help us all..... ;)
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018

It was still shit.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018 edited

Shitty things can still be hilarious. :)

See: The Room, Birdemic, anything by Neil Breen, Troll 2, Cool Cat Saves the Kids...
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018 edited

Posted By: SpellboundIt was deliberately bad for shits and giggles. They had to make a fun music video to help sell the single, Rock or Bust did the serious mime thing as good as it possibly could've. A huge band releasing the video equivalent to "DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER LAUGHTER?" - that's the joke.

If no one was in on the joke, and they accidentally left in those green screen lines around the band members, I'll throw my vintage Marshall super bass off of the roof.

What good is a joke if 90% if the audience doesn't get it?

edit: I'm changing that to 99%. I just watched the video again and still don't get it. There does not seem to be any joke in there at all. It looks like a normal video done on the quick.
    What's good is liking a band for it's tongue in cheek nature and then being willfully oblivious to their tongues almost poking a hole in their said cheek?

Who's really at fault here - the comic for making a joke no one got? Or the crowd of people refusing to believe it was actually joke for almost 4 years straight despite being told what the joke was?

It was as clear in 2014 as it is now. I really don't understand how people could've seen it as anything serious.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018

Posted By: SpellboundWhat's good is liking a band for it's tongue in cheek nature and then being willfully oblivious to their tongues almost poking a hole in their said cheek?

Who's really at fault here - the comic for making a joke no one got? Or the crowd of people refusing to believe it was actually joke for almost 4 years straight despite being told what the joke was?

It was as clear in 2014 as it is now. I really don't understand how people could've seen it as anything serious.

When and where were we told what the joke was? And no, I don't think it was taken seriously. AC/DC vids are all stupid. What was the joke in the Who Made Who video?
    I'm going to go ahead and break this video down in the most concise way I possibly can to explain how this video went out of its way to be intentionally terrible for comedy's sake. I thought it was hilarious, but I happen to love those sorts of things.

0:02 - awful fire effects on the TV.

0:03 - through the whole video, those god awful, stock green screen imaging pulled from the demo package of adobe aftereffects.

0:04 - no attempt to clean up the edges around band members to make the green screen blending neater looking. I forgot what this actually called - i think it's keying? Haven't worked with video editing since high school.

0:12 - stage fans being included in the shot.

0:16 - stevie's guitar not even remotely set up.

0:17 - Stevie miming along to the song despite the fact that he isn't even on yet.

0:35 - that hilariously awful triple image of Ang + bad scene transition

0:36 - yet another Stage fan and even a camera caught in the shot!

0:39 - Bob and Angus being used as background footage for a split second under stevie's guitar befor eswitching to stock footage

1:07 - yet again, god awful scene transition effects

1:12 - yet another conscious effort to get camera crew gear into the shot

1:20 - that ridiculous screen grain next to ang's head

1:42 the green screen footage not aligning correctly with the shot

2:41 - The last hit on the drums blatantly being off time with the song.

And last but not least, those ridiculously tacky stock footage films.

You don't have to like the joke - that's 100% fair and I can't knock that. But you can't blame the video for not getting it when it literally shows you in under 3 minutes. ROB and RTBA were great videos done clearly by someone who knew what they were doing, as was Play Ball.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Aug 7th 2018 edited

Play Ball video is LEGENDARY.

Even though I died a little inside the first time I watched it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Aug 7th 2018

Play Ball video is obviously a joke. Probably not their best one but that doesn't change the fact that they did the video on purpose the way they did it.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018 edited

All good points above, and likely you are right, but I still don't see how 99% of the population is going to catch it or care. They'll just think it's a bad video.

Was this being produced for an Adobe corporate party or something? : )
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2018 edited

Posted By: Infernobut I still don't see how 99% of the population is going to catch it or care. They'll just think it's a bad video.

I know the general population is stupid, but on the same token, I would think a lot of people would come to the idea of "wow, a band like them released a video like that? That's ridiculous lmao" or something to that effect.

Then again I have been a bit more optimistic lately. :)

EDIT: It has been brought to my attention that this was a backhanded comment towards you. I did not mean it like that.

Posted By: InfernoWas this being produced for an Adobe corporate party or something? : )

No, but that reminds me of a video Matt Stone & Trey Parker made for Universal Studios executives back in the 90s when Seagrams acquired them. One of the funniest things I have ever seen in my life. It was shown at an executive meeting and they were so pissed off they wouldn't let them keep a copy of the film.

https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=IN7CZZryUNU for anyone curious (remove the space - didnt want to add anything extra to the sites load)