[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jul 20th 2018

Is she a Dad?
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

By the way this is a great thread. Good job Jon.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jul 20th 2018 edited

•  
    • Jul 20th 2018 edited

Jem, et al. How can you NOT LOVE THIS SONG? Call it what you like, pop rock, dad rock, butt rock, whatever, who gives a shit how it's defined. It's just a really good song.

I haven't seen any hate for Foo Fighters band on the forum. Not being into a band that much doesn't translate into hate.
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Yup. Times Like These is a good song. Bit repetitive and I can't find any meaning which means the radio doesn't get turned off but I don't play it.
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018 edited

How fucking cool is this?! I don't think anyone ever did this for Winger. Another great song!

"1000 musicians play Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters to ask Dave Grohl to come and play in Cesena, Italy. "

•  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: JemBit repetitive and I can't find any meaning which means the radio doesn't get turned off but I don't play it.

Which band are we talking about now? : )
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: MeanstreakI haven't seen any hate for Foo Fighters band on the forum. Not being into a band that much doesn't translate into hate.

There most definitely has been haha.

Posted By: InfernoJem, et al. How can you NOT LOVE THIS SONG? Call it what you like, pop rock, dad rock, butt rock, whatever, who gives a shit how it's defined. It's just a really good song.

Amen. My favorite Foos song.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: recimo
    • Jul 20th 2018

I only got into Foo Fighters 3-4 years ago, wasn't paying much attention before that. I like the band, like the music, would love to see them live if I get the chance.
    White Limo my personal favourite by Foos.

@BallToucher
    I spoke to a guy who for years as a side job organizes group bus drives to concerts in nearby countries (east europe), so he has seen a lot of gigs, hundrends I'm sure. He has seen Alice Cooper 4-5 times I think and is still his favourite gig to see, even tho that's not his favourite band. That was really interesting to me, got me a little bit into Alice :)
    Dad rock was mentioned a lot here.

Dad band episode, with the guitarist from Alice in Chains.

•  
    • Jul 20th 2018

White Limo is a JAM
    I fucks with and respect Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl is a legend. If he's cool enough for Lemmy, he's cool enough for me.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jul 21st 2018 edited

Posted By: SpellboundI fucks with and respect Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl is a legend. If he's cool enough for Lemmy, he's cool enough for me.

A good line to remember when someone talks shit about Metallica, as well, considering Lemmy was a fan.

Also, Simply Red rule because Dimebag Darrell was a bit of fan of theirs. He used to sing 'Holding Back the Years' when he did karaoke.
    Lemmy liked Skunk Anansie as well, not quite sure if I share his taste there....
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Jul 21st 2018 edited

Posted By: BrianyA good line to remember when someone talks shit about Metallica, as well, considering Lemmy was a fan.

I quite like Metallica too. I think James and Lars were absolute cunts in the past, especially towards Jason, but they seem to have come around nowadays. Kill'Em All is probably my favorite metal album of all time. Shame they lost the plot afterwards. Nothing besides maybe Justice really lived up to it. But I still enjoy their 80s albums as well as Black.

Hardwired was a fucking banger too.
    •  
    • Jul 21st 2018

Not to mention, this was classy as hell.
    •  
    • Jul 21st 2018 edited

Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: BrianyA good line to remember when someone talks shit about Metallica, as well, considering Lemmy was a fan.

I quite like Metallica too. I think James and Lars were absolute cunts in the past, especially towards Jason, but they seem to have come around nowadays. Kill'Em All is probably my favorite metal album of all time. Shame they lost the plot afterwards. Nothing besides maybe Justice really lived up to it. But I still enjoy their 80s albums as well as Black.

Hardwired was a fucking banger too.

You may have seen the Scuzz TV interview with Jason (which is FANTASTIC, btw, for anyone who hasn't). Yes, the band were dicks towards Jason, but as Jason himself puts it, he got to be in the biggest Metal band in the world. Hazing is a small price to pay. And he also said that he felt the hazing was necessary to prove that he wanted the gig. Not to mention that this was a bunch of drunk, emotionally-stunted 20 somethings who still hadn't come to terms with Cliff's passing, and grief can come out in dysfunctional ways.

A lot of people think Metallica sold out on TBA and (especially) Load. I find it highly ironic, especially when this criticism is coming from the Metal community, 'cause Metal was originally about non-conformity, and yet there they were criticising Metallica for not conforming to their rules.

I got into all their albums around the same time, but Load's the one I always come back to, funnily enough.
    • AC/DC rock music: Roym0762
    • Jul 21st 2018

cocktails,alcohpops,flavoured cider etc are alcohol for broke who don't like alcohol,Foo fighters are a rock band for people who don't like rock music.
    •  
    • Jul 21st 2018

Posted By: Roym0762cocktails,alcohpops,flavoured cider etc are alcohol for broke who don't like alcohol,Foo fighters are a rock band for people who don't like rock music.

Well, myself and a lot of others here happen to like both rock (incidentally, AC/DC) and the Foos coincidentally, so what now?
    •  
    • Jul 21st 2018

Cocktails are for people who don't like alcohol? I think you will will find that you are very much mistaken there my friend.

Pop round round sometime.
    As soon as someone starts saying what is and isn't rock music I tune out - I don't care for Foo Fighters but most of my mates who like rock music are into them to some degree and I have massive respect for how big they've got in an era where rock is consistently sidelined in favour of pop, rap, dance, Hungarian madrigals etc..
    I'll chime in...

I think they're as bland as oatmeal, but they're packaged like bourbon: they look all intense rock and roll and thrash around on the stage but they're essentially serving up Bryan Adams with more gain and strained vocals.

And what's up with the three guitarists? If Maiden don't need three, these guys sure don't. Does anyone think they're Second Helping-era Skynyrd for out times? No way.

But... Dave seems like a nice guy. I don't have to like the music to respect the man. And his drumming on the orange self-titled Killing Joke album is monstrous. I just don't fancy him as a singer/guitarist and songwriter.

My $.02.
    •  
    • Jul 21st 2018

Maiden has three guitarists.
    •  
    • Jul 21st 2018

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoI'll chime in...

I think they're as bland as oatmeal, but they're packaged like bourbon: they look all intense rock and roll and thrash around on the stage but they're essentially serving up Bryan Adams with more gain and strained vocals.

And what's up with the three guitarists? If Maiden don't need three, these guys sure don't. Does anyone think they're Second Helping-era Skynyrd for out times? No way.

But... Dave seems like a nice guy. I don't have to like the music to respect the man. And his drumming on the orange self-titled Killing Joke album is monstrous. I just don't fancy him as a singer/guitarist and songwriter.

My $.02.

The three guitars stand out more on the albums (Pat plays baritone), but it also allows for Dave to do more showman stuff on stage. Fair criticism generally speaking if it's not your cup of tea.

Posted By: Alex LebanonAs soon as someone starts saying what is and isn't rock music I tune out - I don't care for Foo Fighters but most of my mates who like rock music are into them to some degree and I have massive respect for how big they've got in an era where rock is consistently sidelined in favour of pop, rap, dance, Hungarian madrigals etc..

I actually think this is the most impressive thing about them. I saw them a couple of weeks ago, and kept thinking to myself, man, these guys are going to be the last MEGA rock band. That's upsetting.
    Posted By: InfernoMaiden has three guitarists.

I know. And 95% of Maiden fans feel Janice Gers is as useless as tits on a wall and even offensive with his goofy stage antics.

Very, very few bands need three guitarists. I've heard nothing from FF that screams out, now THIS is a band that needs not one, not two but THREE guitarist on stage!

To each his own. I think they're bland and about as edgy as Green Day. And before anyone tells me that they don't claim to be edgy, I've seen them categorized as alternative and Dave's neck-vein-popping screaming seems to suggest he wants to make aggressive music.

Throw out your FF and listen to this with Dave:

•  
    • Jul 22nd 2018

Posted By: Alex LebanonAs soon as someone starts saying what is and isn't rock music I tune out - I don't care for Foo Fighters but most of my mates who like rock music are into them to some degree and I have massive respect for how big they've got in an era where rock is consistently sidelined in favour of pop, rap, dance, Hungarian madrigals etc..

The Foos may be a big band, but they've never become known as the favourite band of dickheads. This is something that Nickelback and Limp Bizkit have had to deal with. If you said Limp Bizkit was your favourite band any time after 2000, you found your circle of friends rapidly diminishing (like what happened to the band's fan base).
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Jul 22nd 2018

Limp Bizkit are doing very nicely on the nostalgia circuit even if the keychains and jorts have been replaced by bald spots and mortgages.

Nickelback will never, ever be critical darlings. The eternal butt of many jokes. They will also continue to cry all the way to the bank in gold plated Rolls Royce's for many years to come.
    •  
    • Jul 22nd 2018

Yah, I don't like Nickleback or Limp Bizkit.
    Posted By: RonLimp Bizkit are doing very nicely on the nostalgia circuit even if the keychains and jorts have been replaced by bald spots and mortgages.

Nickelback will never, ever be critical darlings. The eternal butt of many jokes. They will also continue to cry all the way to the bank in gold plated Rolls Royce's for many years to come.

I guess success is relative and the grass is always greener. I remember a story about an exasperated Bono saying to Thom Yorke “why are you so fucking miserable when you’ve got it all: stadiums AND acclaim – we always get 7/10 reviews, you always get 10/10 and you STILL look like someone farted on your chips.”
    •  
    • Jul 22nd 2018

Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: RonLimp Bizkit are doing very nicely on the nostalgia circuit even if the keychains and jorts have been replaced by bald spots and mortgages.

I guess success is relative and the grass is always greener. I remember a story about an exasperated Bono saying to Thom Yorke “why are you so fucking miserable when you’ve got it all: stadiums AND acclaim – we always get 7/10 reviews, you always get 10/10 and you STILL look like someone farted on your chips.”

"Everybody hates me, and I'm the happiest man you'll ever meet!" - Bono
    Posted By: Briany

I've always thought it's strange that - give or take the odd year - U2 have basically been the biggest rock band on the planet since 1987 and yet I rarely meet a U2 fan in the way that, say, you meet an AC/DC fan or a Nirvana fan or a Metallica fan. Bit of a head-scratcher. The obvious answer is that their fans only quite like them and don't really talk about them but the one time I saw them live (Wembley Stadium,naturally) the crowd were well into it.
    •  
    • Jul 22nd 2018

Posted By: Briany

I've always thought it's strange that - give or take the odd year - U2 have basically been the biggest rock band on the planet since 1987 and yet I rarely meet a U2 fan in the way that, say, you meet an AC/DC fan or a Nirvana fan or a Metallica fan. Bit of a head-scratcher. The obvious answer is that their fans only quite like them and don't really talk about them but the one time I saw them live (Wembley Stadium,naturally) the crowd were well into it.

The reason why you don't meet many big U2 fans is that the home they're kept in only releases them for supervised outings to special beaches, fun centres and the occasional concert.
    I’ve always seen U2 and Metallica much the same way. Not my cup of tea but no denying their stadia-conquering success or the fact they’ve sired a couple of classic albums each – Joshua Tree & Achtung Baby and Master of Puppets & Black Album. Never felt the need to own more records by either artist but that could conceivably be my loss I guess….
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI’ve always seen U2 and Metallica much the same way. Not my cup of tea but no denying their stadia-conquering success or the fact they’ve sired a couple of classic albums each – Joshua Tree & Achtung Baby and Master of Puppets & Black Album. Never felt the need to own more records by either artist but that could conceivably be my loss I guess….

You misspelled Ride The Lighting.

The Black album is ok and had massive influence but had the edges totally sanded off. If I recall, you're a big old s school punk fan and the Black album is so corporate.

And Kill 'Em All has a wild youthful energy that is fantastic. James' vocals have a manic shriek to them on that album that is closer to punk than traditional metal. If you don't own their first two albums, you're doing yourself an injustice by thinking you've heard their best stuff.
    •  
    • Jul 22nd 2018

Stumbled back upon this. When Wasting Light came out, they had a contest where select winners would have the band show up at their garage and play a show. How sick is that?
    •  
    • Jul 22nd 2018 edited

Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI’ve always seen U2 and Metallica much the same way. Not my cup of tea but no denying their stadia-conquering success or the fact they’ve sired a couple of classic albums each – Joshua Tree & Achtung Baby and Master of Puppets & Black Album. Never felt the need to own more records by either artist but that could conceivably be my loss I guess….

The Black album is ok and had massive influence but had the edges totally sanded off. If I recall, you're a big old s school punk fan and the Black album is so corporate.

And Kill 'Em All has a wild youthful energy that is fantastic. James' vocals have a manic shriek to them on that album that is closer to punk than traditional metal. If you don't own their first two albums, you're doing yourself an injustice by thinking you've heard their best stuff.

That's pretty funny that you actually did misspell "Ride The Lightning".

p.s. I own them all, and Master of Puppets is their best stuff.
    Posted By: Inferno

Shit, I thought AC/DC fans were blockheads and I didn't have to spellcheck...

Master is the most ambitious. KEA has the best energy, perhaps, and Ride is the catchiest. To me.

I've really tried to get into the Black album, even all these years later as my tastes mellowed, as it has good parts but it just isn't truly great. And the boring parts are fucking cringe worthy.

p.s. Damn you, Inferno, for making me re-read this and finding multiple errors!
    • AC/DC rock music: acdc1988
    • Jul 23rd 2018

For me Dave Grohl always was/is something like a superfan of rock, who is playing in a famous band, using his status to meet and to play with his favourite musicians as much as he can, which is obviously something that annoys a lot of people, as he literally seems to pop up anywhere with literally any star musician you could imagine.
    For me there is basically nothing wrong with that. If i had the possibility to do things like he does, like being on stage together with the remaining members of Led Zeppelin, or befriending Lemmy (R.I.P.) or anything like that, i would do it, too. Who wouldn’t ?
    I have never been a Foo Fighters fan though. Just not my cup of tea, but i don’t hate them.
    •  
    • Jul 23rd 2018

Posted By: Inferno

Shit, I thought AC/DC fans were blockheads and I didn't have to spellcheck...

Master is the most ambitious. KEA has the best energy, perhaps, and Ride is the catchiest. To me.

I've really tried to get into the Black album, even all these years later as my tastes mellowed, as it has good parts but it just isn't truly great. And the boring parts are fucking cringe worthy.

p.s. Damn you, Inferno, for making me re-read this and finding multiple errors!

1st four are all terrific. My favourite is actually AJFA. I really felt they were continuing to develop and take their music into new and challenging areas. TBA was an enormous disappointment. A retrograde step back in terms of their music. Thematically it did not sit all that well with me.