[ Sign In | Register ]

Posted By: jonalba
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetYeah it doesn't really stand out to me the way The Sky is a Neighborhood or even Waiting on a War did. I'm surprised it doesn't seem to be about Taylor. But they were probably already working on the album when he passed.

Man, to each their own, I can't disagree anymore with this take. This sound is so much closer to the sound that made the Foos great. Very much in the vein of the rock side of In Your Honor.

And it's absolutely a tribute to Taylor. The song and the entire album is.

To be fair, I wasn't listening too closely to the lyrics. And my comments were more about the song's melodies than the tone/sound.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SnakeEye
    • Apr 21st 2023

Self titled and The Colour And The Shape are pretty sweet but it's all a bit beige and safe after that except for a few songs here and there.
    I think Wasting Light is probably the best of everything that came after the first two, although I do have a slight soft spot for One by One.

They really traded that slight punk rock kind of attitude and energy for more slick FM Radio Rock vibes.

New track had promise when it started but eventually ends up in the In Your Honor era kind of style, which doesn't do anything for personally.
    It sucked what happened to Taylor. He really seemed like a Nice and positive guy, loved one of his solo tracks; it’s not bad luck or something like that. And i have even grown to like Dave. But one thing just does not change;

This bands music is just bad in my opinion. I liked a few tracks on the debut, but then It is just too soft and some of those forced scenarios where this happens;

Dave: hey Pat, we must now do a rough rock song as Billy Bollocks and the likes of him are expecting It from us

Pat: Mmmmmmmm’k

And then comes some icky-yacky Pretender etc to force the points that they rock. But if ya gotta force your way into It, It usually aint good and at times It is criminal

They remain the Poo Biters
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jun 3rd 2023

Although I wasn't wowed by the first single, the album overall is very good. Best in a long time.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jun 4th 2023

The new album is fantastic. Extremely heartfelt and emotional.

I wish there were some heavier songs sonically, but I understand that doesn't match the motif of this one. It's a very purposeful album. Really good.
    New album was underwhelming to me. Emotional content aside, I really dislike the production. Greg Kurstin's production on the last few albums just doesn't work with the FF to me. He just takes the edge off them, doesn't make them sound like a band playing together, which is what the FF are so good at. They recently did a live thing where they introduced Freese as their drummer, and they sounded so good, and the new songs sounded awesome. Listening to them on the album is underwhelming in comparison.

Didn't feel most the songs were strong enough besides the emotional content, too. Nothing At All was just so cool on the live stream but doesn't pack the same punch on the album.
    •  
    • Jun 4th 2023

Posted By: matirockerNew album was underwhelming to me. Emotional content aside, I really dislike the production. Greg Kurstin's production on the last few albums just doesn't work with the FF to me. He just takes the edge off them, doesn't make them sound like a band playing together, which is what the FF are so good at. They recently did a live thing where they introduced Freese as their drummer, and they sounded so good, and the new songs sounded awesome. Listening to them on the album is underwhelming in comparison.

Didn't feel most the songs were strong enough besides the emotional content, too. Nothing At All was just so cool on the live stream but doesn't pack the same punch on the album.

I definitely agree on the production. It sounded, sonically, just like the last two. And it's not a sound I love.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Toast
    • Jun 5th 2023

I really dig the new album for its content - production is woeful though. Kind of sucks a lot of life out of it. Will definitely be seeing them again when they hit the UK.
    Same gripe I had with past couple albums.

Also to answer early Q - it is Grohl on all drum tracks on album release I believe
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Jun 21st 2023

"Elton John, who will be closing the Glastonbury festival, said he was preparing to bring on several guest stars during his Sunday headline set, which could be his last UK performance".

hmm, i wonder who ?
    •  
    • Jun 22nd 2023

• AC/DC rock music: GoZone
    • Jun 22nd 2023

I didn’t read the whole thread BUT I’ve never like them and have zero interest in them. How about this? Someone post 3 harder edged, ballsy songs by Foo Fighters and I will give them an honest listen and provide feedback. Can some do that for me ? Thanks.

I just feel like they are “weak” and play it so safe. They also may have the worst band name in history for a huge act. I could be wrong, so post 3 of their hardest songs for me to trial please.
    •  
    • Jun 22nd 2023

GoZone - My favourite song by them in Sunday Rain with Paul McCartney on drums.
    Not 'harder edged' though
    • Jun 22nd 2023

Another band that I don’t get is Rival Sons. They are constantly discussed by Eddie Trunk on his daily Sirius XM rock/metal show. His promoting of them worked because I added the new album to my Apple Music and gave it a shot. I was actually excited for something new in hard rock. Here’s the thing, I thought the album was god awful and deleted it immediately. It doesn’t roll or groove. Never picks up steam and kicks in. Not for me at all. I found out the opened for DC years ago. Anyone remember their set ?
    • Jun 22nd 2023

Posted By: ToastGoZone - My favourite song by them in Sunday Rain with Paul McCartney on drums.
    Not 'harder edged' though

Thanks for the tip. I’m looking for something sleazy, ballsy or some riffage. I remember some of their 90s stuff from the radio and I’d rather not listen to that again. Willing to give them a shot again though.
    •  
    • Jun 22nd 2023

Posted By: GoZoneI didn’t read the whole thread BUT I’ve never like them and have zero interest in them. How about this? Someone post 3 harder edged, ballsy songs by Foo Fighters and I will give them an honest listen and provide feedback. Can some do that for me ? Thanks.

I just feel like they are “weak” and play it so safe. They also may have the worst band name in history for a huge act. I could be wrong, so post 3 of their hardest songs for me to trial please.

•  
    • Jun 23rd 2023 edited

Posted By: GoZoneHow about this? Someone post 3 harder edged, ballsy songs by Foo Fighters and I will give them an honest listen and provide feedback. Can some do that for me ? Thanks.

I like Jon's list. Great songs. But what is wrong with something "softer"? Why does it have to be "ballsy" to be good?

Here's not only one of the best Foo Fighters songs, but one of the best rock songs, period. (And that's a pretty ballsy ending!)

Why would anyone have a problem with Foo Fighters as a name? Shit, Metallica is contrived as hell.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Jun 23rd 2023

Posted By: GoZoneSomeone post 3 harder edged, ballsy songs by Foo Fighters and I will give them an honest listen and provide feedback. Can some do that for me ? Thanks.

I just feel like they are “weak” and play it so safe. They also may have the worst band name in history for a huge act.

1. Wind up
    2. Enough space
    3. Low
    + Weenie beenie

Nothing wrong with their name, it’s a cool popculture reference.
    •  
    • Jun 23rd 2023 edited

heres how popular the FOOEYS are on here...they played Glasto hours ago and no one is even arsed to talk about it....wether it be good or bad...(but bad obviously)..
    •  
    • Jun 23rd 2023

I thought it was the best live set I have seen them do in a long time. It was great
    I watched it - i wasn't massively impressed and i do quite like them - Dave over trying, dragging out the songs and changing arrangements. Pat Smear playing the guitar like he's jerking off too.

Josh Freese on drums was awesome though.
    I’m sure he’s a great guy but the singer bloke just puts me off the band completely. Seems like every musician that passes he has to give the eulogy. The music itself is lacking in anything really, just very bland dad rock with no soul.

Other than that, they’re great!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Nov 29th 2023

Just home from the Foo Fighters gig here in Perth, Australia. Great night.

I’m not a super fan so don’t know if this is something they’ve done previously, but they brought the drum tech (!) out to sing Big Balls.

I loved it, but embarrassed (though not surprised) that it fell flat. No one, except my crew, knew the song or words. I think they were expecting it to go down a treat.
    •  
    • Nov 29th 2023

Posted By: bonlivesJust home from the Foo Fighters gig here in Perth, Australia. Great night.

I’m not a super fan so don’t know if this is something they’ve done previously, but they brought the drum tech (!) out to sing Big Balls.

I loved it, but embarrassed (though not surprised) that it fell flat. No one, except my crew, knew the song or words. I think they were expecting it to go down a treat.

Wow, that's pretty wild they did that. They're very self-aware haha.

What did you think of the energy/performance?
    hahaha what!! I'm gonna look that up
    I don't hate 'em, just don't care much about 'em.
    •  
    • Nov 29th 2023

Posted By: bonlivesit fell flat.

Not all gambles pay off, but nice that they tried!
    You can hear some people chanting along in that video for all that's worth
    •  
    • Nov 30th 2023

Posted By: jonalbaWhat did you think of the energy/performance?
    Top notch. It’s their first stop on their Australian tour, so plenty of energy put into the performance.
    •  
    • Nov 30th 2023

Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: bonlivesit fell flat.

Not all gambles pay off, but nice that they tried!
    Yep, I think they thought it’d get a better reception being in Bon’s backyard. It’s Big Balls of course, so not exactly something to rock out to - but plenty of people looking around going - uh, I thought he said they’re going to play an AC/DC song?

Casuals, casuals everywhere.
    •  
    • Nov 30th 2023

By “casuals”, he means people who have actual lives.
    • AC/DC rock music: AcesHigh78
    • Nov 30th 2023 edited

I like Dave a lot. He's always a great interview and is funny as hell. Who cares if he's overexposed? He's one of the few guys in a rock band that gets any mainstream publicity these days.

As far as the Foos, they have a lot of great songs, but over the last ten years or so, the music has gotten a little too safe. I guess "dad rock" is as good a term as any...their recent music is fine but a bit bland and often unmemorable.

They did a fake metal album for their horror-comedy movie Studio 666, and it was actually really well done. It had the lo-fi production of a European demo cassette from 1984 that was being passed around for copying by high school metalheads in Long Beach.
    Beige shit.
    •  
    • Dec 1st 2023

Hot damn bonlives, you guys got Stacked Actors?! Deep cut that fucks.

•  
    • Dec 1st 2023

Indeed - though I’m not a superfan, I recognised that as a track rarely played these days.
    •  
    • Jan 21st 2024

Well okay, this might actually be a good reason to hate the Foo Fighters. : )

She should have just let Jack sing the whole thing.
    Wasting light was pretty good allright.