[ Sign In | Register ]

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jul 19th 2018 edited

So I clicked the Kiss Guy thread, expecting to see Foo Fighters hate, and well, yeah. Not as much as I thought, but it was there.

I know they're a polarizing band on this forum, and I personally have a really hard time understanding why. The term "dad rock" gets thrown around, or that Dave is a bland songwriter, and I truly struggle to comprehend, given AC/DC is also the band that wrote Love Hungry Man (not hating, but dad rock city).

I've seen them multiple times live, and they are right up there for the best shows I've ever attended. The rhythm section is insanely tight, they have one of the best drummers in the world, they're led by one of the greatest showmen to ever step on stage (who's written some of the greatest riffs and choruses in modern rock). They are super awesome with their fans, constantly working and playing, and mix up their sets a decent bit. Some of the more recent stuff I haven't loved (I actually quite disliked Concrete & Gold), but I consider Wasting Light to be one of the greatest hard rock records ever written (right up there with most AC/DC stuff).

On top of this, Grohl's appreciation for rock history is incredibly admirable, and the day he decided he wanted to be a musician was the day he saw LTBR in theaters. Obviously, everyone's more than entitled to their own taste in band, but I'm just having a hard time understanding the hate.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jul 19th 2018 edited

Funny Jon, I almost posted something myself on that thread, but then figured I'd be talking to a wall. Good points you made. If you're like me, and don't like pompous rock stars, then Grohl deserves your attention.

I've got Foo Fighters tickets for September. Excited to go. I don't like all of their songs (hell, I don't like all of AC/DC's either), but I recognize a good band when I see one.

Wasting Light is phenomenal.

We've had this Foo Fighters conversation before though. Gshootin was solidly against them. The old crank.
    •  
    • Jul 19th 2018

If you wanna see some real RTFO, get yourself the Foo Fighters live at Wembley video.
    Wasting Light got me into them with your very own thread and review on this very site actually and while I do like that record and think this band is good.

I have not liked any of their albums after it, totally not my thing as much as I tried. I do think Dave is a cool dude,just not a band I can listen to everything from and enjoy.

Some of the earlier tracks are also good,but I struggle to find whole records that capture me.
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: nitroangus23Wasting Light got me into them with your very own thread and review on this very site actually and while I do like that record and think this band is good.

I have not liked any of their albums after it, totally not my thing as much as I tried. I do think Dave is a cool dude,just not a band I can listen to everything from and enjoy.

Some of the earlier tracks are also good,but I struggle to find whole records that capture me.

You gotta see them live. They are right at the top. I agree C&G is not good. Sonic Highways is okay.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jul 20th 2018

I think it is just a lack of love rather actual hate.I have never heard a really bad song by them but neither have I heard that many really good songs. Ones that I could love. I have owned a few albums but they have never got repeated plays which I think must be down the music not connecting with me.

Love Dave mind.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Jul 20th 2018 edited

Because it's "rock music" for people that actually don't like rock music.
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Jul 20th 2018

No hate, just really booring music.
    But I like Dave, he's got a warm and strong rock'n'roll heart.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Jul 20th 2018 edited

No hate, most people just don´t care about their music.

I once in a while open a thread with Alice Cooper news and they barely get any attention. Most people here don´t really care about him, tough luck!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: BallToucherNo hate, most people just don´t care about their music.

I once in a while open a thread with Alice Cooper news and they barely get any attention. Most people here don´t really care about him, tough luck!

Love Alice, especially the early stuff. One of the main men that got me over to the dark side!
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: azel
    Posted By: BallToucherNo hate, most people just don´t care about their music.

Love Alice, especially the early stuff. One of the main men that got me over to the dark side!
    I love all the eras even the weird 80's one ( Dada, special forces etc)
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Jul 20th 2018

I like a lot of the FF stuff on record. I just think Mr Grohl is a bit too shouty screamy when he sings live .
    Posted By: azelLove Alice, especially the early stuff. One of the main men that got me over to the dark side!

Posted By: rideon77I love all the eras even the weird 80's one ( Dada, special forces etc)

Yea I knew you guys were cool with the Coop :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Jul 20th 2018

For me it's generic meat and potatoes rock. Too one dimensional. It doesn't grab me, either at the balls or the heart. It doesn't swing and that's important for me in Rock&Roll. Dave is a mediocre singer. It sounds a bit like he wanted his own Nirvana. A b-rate Nirvana that is.
    Give me Pearl Jam over FF any day of the week.

Dave as person though seems like a very nice bloke with his heart at the right place.
    Sorry jon for using the words dad rock. But I am a dad and I like rock. Don't get me wrong I really like them and unlike you I really like Concrete and Gold. I went to see them about 3 years ago and really enjoyed it. They are one of the few bands I would make the effort to see in a big venue. I like their songs, I like Dave Grohl. I like the guys in the band. I like the sound they make together. I like the way they interact with their audience. I like the way after breaking his leg he got back on stage as soon as he could in his stupid chair (thanks Dave for lending it to Axl...not!!!!). They appeal across the board and thats where the apathy from our more hip members probably comes from. Its nothing new, (but fucking hell, your on an AC/DC forum lauding AC/DC who don't do any of the things you slate Foo Fighters for not doing. Maybe people only have room for one meat and potatoes type band in their life and they heard AC/DC before Foo Fighters, so fuck the Foo Fighters) and it doesn't stretch you and a lot of people have never forgiven Dave Grohl for wanting to carry on being successful after Nirvana. Its almost like "how fucking dare he"? Its probably why Krist Novoselic still retains his kudos and Dave Grohl doesn't. One has been insanely successful since Nirvana and the other hasn't (to be fair I don't hes chased it). "Hasn't ruined his legacy unlike that wanker Grohl who comes out with his meat and potatoes rock and sells millions and plays stadiums across the world" (A lot of people like meat and potatoes by the way, far more than cous cous or quinoa).

So no Jon, I wasn't having a pop at the Foo Fighters, I was having a sly dig at the people who have this strange attitude towards them as if Dave Grohl is sullying the memory of Nirvana which obviously made such a deep emotional connection with their audience at that time and Dave should have just packed it in and made music for the minority and not aspired to any kind of success.

And lay off Love Hungry Man
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

"Maybe people only have room for one meat and potatoes type band in their life and they heard AC/DC before Foo Fighters, so fuck the Foo Fighters"

There is one thing AC/DC absolutely is not: meat and potatoes rock
    There is one thing FF absolutely is not: a swinging R&R band

2 bands that have a totally different approach in interplay, hitting chords and playing drums.
    I have just a musical preference.

Nirvana's legacy isn't something i care for btw: Dave can of course do whatever he wants to do ;)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: jonalba

I know they're a polarizing band on this forum, and I personally have a really hard time understanding why. The term "dad rock" gets thrown around, or that Dave is a bland songwriter, and I truly struggle to comprehend, given AC/DC is also the band that wrote Love Hungry Man (not hating, but dad rock city).

No, this is Dad Rock. Distilled to perfection.

Posted By: carlos fandangoSorry jon for using the words dad rock. But I am a dad and I like rock. Don't get me wrong I really like them and unlike you I really like Concrete and Gold. I went to see them about 3 years ago and really enjoyed it. They are one of the few bands I would make the effort to see in a big venue. I like their songs, I like Dave Grohl. I like the guys in the band. I like the sound they make together. I like the way they interact with their audience. I like the way after breaking his leg he got back on stage as soon as he could in his stupid chair (thanks Dave for lending it to Axl...not!!!!). They appeal across the board and thats where the apathy from our more hip members probably comes from. Its nothing new, (but fucking hell, your on an AC/DC forum lauding AC/DC who don't do any of the things you slate Foo Fighters for not doing. Maybe people only have room for one meat and potatoes type band in their life and they heard AC/DC before Foo Fighters, so fuck the Foo Fighters) and it doesn't stretch you and a lot of people have never forgiven Dave Grohl for wanting to carry on being successful after Nirvana. Its almost like "how fucking dare he"? Its probably why Krist Novoselic still retains his kudos and Dave Grohl doesn't. One has been insanely successful since Nirvana and the other hasn't (to be fair I don't hes chased it). "Hasn't ruined his legacy unlike that wanker Grohl who comes out with his meat and potatoes rock and sells millions and plays stadiums across the world" (A lot of people like meat and potatoes by the way, far more than cous cous or quinoa).

So no Jon, I wasn't having a pop at the Foo Fighters, I was having a sly dig at the people who have this strange attitude towards them as if Dave Grohl is sullying the memory of Nirvana which obviously made such a deep emotional connection with their audience at that time and Dave should have just packed it in and made music for the minority and not aspired to any kind of success.

I see Dave's success as a rare example of karma in the real world. He was in the eye of a messy and finally tragic storm in Nirvana - he was never going to be as close to KC as Chris because there wasn't the history and the shared, sarky banter. But he kept his head down, weathered all kinds of shit from Courtney and other people in the toxic, paranoid, smack-addled circus of the In Utero tour and somehow kept his dignity and sanity intact. FF was his reward.
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: carlos fandangoSorry jon for using the words dad rock. But I am a dad and I like rock. Don't get me wrong I really like them and unlike you I really like Concrete and Gold. I went to see them about 3 years ago and really enjoyed it. They are one of the few bands I would make the effort to see in a big venue. I like their songs, I like Dave Grohl. I like the guys in the band. I like the sound they make together. I like the way they interact with their audience. I like the way after breaking his leg he got back on stage as soon as he could in his stupid chair (thanks Dave for lending it to Axl...not!!!!). They appeal across the board and thats where the apathy from our more hip members probably comes from. Its nothing new, (but fucking hell, your on an AC/DC forum lauding AC/DC who don't do any of the things you slate Foo Fighters for not doing. Maybe people only have room for one meat and potatoes type band in their life and they heard AC/DC before Foo Fighters, so fuck the Foo Fighters) and it doesn't stretch you and a lot of people have never forgiven Dave Grohl for wanting to carry on being successful after Nirvana. Its almost like "how fucking dare he"? Its probably why Krist Novoselic still retains his kudos and Dave Grohl doesn't. One has been insanely successful since Nirvana and the other hasn't (to be fair I don't hes chased it). "Hasn't ruined his legacy unlike that wanker Grohl who comes out with his meat and potatoes rock and sells millions and plays stadiums across the world" (A lot of people like meat and potatoes by the way, far more than cous cous or quinoa).

I see Dave's success as a rare example of karma in the real world. He was in the eye of a messy and finally tragic storm in Nirvana - he was never going to be as close to KC as Chris because there wasn't the history and the shared, sarky banter. But he kept his head down, weathered all kinds of shit from Courtney and other people in the toxic, paranoid, smack-addled circus of the In Utero tour and somehow kept his dignity and sanity intact. FF was his reward.

I think Jon is trying to make the point (and if I'm wrong you'll have to set me right here Jon) is "why is it specifically that the Foo Fighters get so much shit from t people on here when the very same people promote or plug bands that don't seem to be that great either?"
    I love Alice Cooper as well @ BT.

Also,have been wanting to buy a few more FF records and dig a little but has been on my list of bands to check out further for some time just haven't had the motivation too lately.

Wouldn't mind seeing them live one day.
    Posted By: ThankassFor me it's generic meat and potatoes rock. Too one dimensional. It doesn't grab me, either at the balls or the heart. It doesn't swing and that's important for me in Rock&Roll. Dave is a mediocre singer. It sounds a bit like he wanted his own Nirvana. A b-rate Nirvana that is.

Dave as person though seems like a very nice bloke with his heart at the right place.

I don't hate FF - I find them a little on the bland side - but I don't think they sound like "Dave wanted his own Nirvana" musically or in any other way. In fact I bet his experience in Nirvana taught him a lot about how he DIDN'T want FF to operate.
    Posted By: Briany

there is a band that went from out and out brilliance - Caroline, Down Down, Paper Plane, Mystery Song to the dictionary definition of dad rock - Marguerita Time anyone?
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Haha. For the record, your comment was not the only one that's called them dad rock here. I've seen that thrown around. I think your assessment is fair. And those are are referring to the lack of enthusiasm towards them rather than hate, I suggest going back and reading some past threads haha.Like I said, to each their own for sure on what you like and dislike, but it feels like a lot of feelings towards them here come off as misguided.
    The first time I heard the word Dadrock was to describe Noel Gallagher's 60's/traditional influence on mid-90s songwriters (Reef, Ocean Colour Scene, Kula Shaker a revived Paul Weller etc) with its harking back to the past. As I recall it wasn't a compliment. But at the time it seemed like the real sin Gallagher/Oasis had committed was becoming too big - when you start selling out multiple nights at Knebworth there's an instant assumption with music snob types that you must've lost it because why do all these millions of people like it? Foo Fighters are as big as Oasis were back in the day - maybe they're also a victim of their own success.
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: carlos fandango

there is a band that went from out and out brilliance - Caroline, Down Down, Paper Plane, Mystery Song to the dictionary definition of dad rock - Marguerita Time anyone?

No, Caroline and Down Down are Dad Rock (I love 'em, but still). Marguerita Time is from a subgenre called Cheese Rock.
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: ThankassFor me it's generic meat and potatoes rock. Too one dimensional. It doesn't grab me, either at the balls or the heart. It doesn't swing and that's important for me in Rock&Roll. Dave is a mediocre singer. It sounds a bit like he wanted his own Nirvana. A b-rate Nirvana that is.

I don't hate FF - I find them a little on the bland side - but I don't think they sound like "Dave wanted his own Nirvana" musically or in any other way. In fact I bet his experience in Nirvana taught him a lot about how he DIDN'T want FF to operate.
    I can agree on your last statement. But on a musical level they didn't exactly went into Carpenters territory (who are very good by the way). Mayby not that he wanted to sound like Nirvane but he didn't drift away that much.
    It's just a kind of modern rock (that evolved after Nu metal) that i personally don't have an affection for.
    "It's just a kind of modern rock (that evolved after Nu metal) that i personally don't have an affection for."

I agree with that description of FF but Nirvana came from a whole other place and for me they could not be further apart.

No, Caroline and Down Down are Dad Rock (I love 'em, but still). Marguerita Time is from a subgenre called Cheese Rock.

12 Gold Bars was my favourite Quo record as a kid. It retails for 8.99 on iTunes. Accept No Substitute the Greatest Hits contains all the songs on 12 Gold Bars and about 872 more. So I bought that and made a 12 Gold Bars playlist sequenced exactly like the record. But it ate away at me - somehow it wasn’t the same as owning the actual artefact so I went ahead and bought 12 Gold Bars anyway even though I own every song on it. Middle-age, eh?
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: Alex Lebanon"It's just a kind of modern rock (that evolved after Nu metal) that i personally don't have an affection for."

I agree with that description of FF but Nirvana came from a whole other place and for me they could not be further apart.

Of course that was aimed at FF ;)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: carlos fandango

I think you mean Nan rock after their hay day!
    Great at their best though.

•  
    • Jul 20th 2018 edited

Posted By: RoccoBecause it's "rock music" for people that actually don't like rock music.

You're saying this on forum where people LOVE AC/DC. Nonsensical. Pointless post. Seems meant just to take a swing at people for no good reason.

Posted By: nitroangus23Wasting Light got me into them with your very own thread and review on this very site actually and while I do like that record and think this band is good.

You feel exactly as I do, but maybe we have come to different conclusions. I like a lot of Foo Fighters songs, but aside from Wasting Light, there is no one album that I really want to listen to all the way through. Many of the songs do nothing for me. I also don't care for Sonic Highways, and Concrete and Gold is only mildly better.

However, with a plethora of really fun songs, and having seen their concert vidoes, and respecting Dave Grohl for the way he handles himself, I am totally stoked for seeing them in concert, and I give a lotta of props to the band, even if they aren't my favorite. As Jem might say, just RTFO!
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: RoccoBecause it's "rock music" for people that actually don't like rock music.

You're saying this on forum where people LOVE AC/DC. Nonsensical. Pointless post. Seems meant just to take a swing at people for no good reason.

You feel exactly as I do, but maybe we have come to different conclusions. I like a lot of Foo Fighters songs, but aside from Wasting Light, there is no one album that I really want to listen to all the way through. Many of the songs do nothing for me. I also don't care for Sonic Highways, and Concrete and Gold is only mildly better.

However, with a plethora of really fun songs, and having seen their concert vidoes, and respecting Dave Grohl for the way he handles himself, I am totally stoked for seeing them in concert, and I give a lotta of props to the band, even if they aren't my favorite. As Jem might say, just RTFO!

I can respect this. Foos are one of the best live bands you'll ever see. Grohl is a true stage legend. The definition of RTFO. It's still beyond me that people don't appreciate Wasting Light in the mainstream the way I feel it should. I think it's genuinely one of the greatest rock records ever written.
    Posted By: nitroangus23I love Alice Cooper as well @ BT.

I knew you were cool, too! That's pretty much the 4 of us, lol
    I don't hate Foo Fighters, it's just not my kind of music.

I've always seen the Foo Fighters akin to the band "Winger", and Grohl much like Kip Winger.
    There's not a lot of love for Winger or for Kip. I don't mind their music, but it wasn't spectacular in any way. Same with Foo Fighters.
    Grohl is a force in music, but so was Kip Winger. Both bands and guys catch a lot of flak.

I like Alice Cooper a lot too. Kip has played with Alice.

I don't care for Nirvana at all. That probably plays into my feelings towards Grohl.
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

I think there's a bit of hate towards Grohl because it seems like over the last decade, maybe, he's been getting his face on everything with the talk shows he goes, or the side projects he does, or some big Youtube stunt he does (e.g. Dave Grohl disguises himself as old man and wows everyone in a music shop with his drumming). He's like Rock's liaison to the mainstream. Some people may feel like it's a position that's been somewhat self-appointed.

There's also the thing of just being so big that you're going to experience a backlash. Happens to every band at that level of fame. One time, a guy set up a website to express his dislike of Metallica. It was called Metallicasucks.com. Probably been similar expressions of dislike for other big bands over the years. Nowadays, it's mostly social media.
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: BrianyI think there's a bit of hate towards Grohl because it seems like over the last decade, maybe, he's been getting his face on everything with the talk shows he goes, or the side projects he does, or some big Youtube stunt he does (e.g. Dave Grohl disguises himself as old man and wows everyone in a music shop with his drumming). He's like Rock's liaison to the mainstream. Some people may feel like it's a position that's been somewhat self-appointed.

There's also the thing of just being so big that you're going to experience a backlash. Happens to every band at that level of fame. One time, a guy set up a website to express his dislike of Metallica. It was called Metallicasucks.com. Probably been similar expressions of dislike for other big bands over the years. Nowadays, it's mostly social media.

One of my favorite things about Grohl is his appreciation for rock. Sound City is an excellent documentary. He's also a HUGE AC/DC fan. Remember who was the only one (other than Sir Paul) RTFOing at the Grammys on-cam?
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Posted By: BrianyI think there's a bit of hate towards Grohl because it seems like over the last decade, maybe, he's been getting his face on everything with the talk shows he goes, or the side projects he does, or some big Youtube stunt he does (e.g. Dave Grohl disguises himself as old man and wows everyone in a music shop with his drumming). He's like Rock's liaison to the mainstream. Some people may feel like it's a position that's been somewhat self-appointed.

One of my favorite things about Grohl is his appreciation for rock. Sound City is an excellent documentary. He's also a HUGE AC/DC fan. Remember who was the only one (other than Sir Paul) RTFOing at the Grammys on-cam?

To be fair, Lady Gaga was into it as well.
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

To be fair, Lady Gaga was into it as well.

Staged shot! :)
    •  
    • Jul 20th 2018

Winger?! WTF?
    LG is a big Maiden fan - it’s perfectly possible she likes AC/DC too.