[ Sign In | Register ]

Are we really arguing popularity as a metric for quality?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Nov 14th 2021 edited

Posted By: ToiletWallPoetAre we really arguing popularity as a metric for quality?

No. Pay attention.
    Really diggin the new Greta Van Fleet song "Built by Nations". That riff is fuckin tasty
    •  
    • Nov 14th 2021 edited

Posted By: El3ment380Really diggin the new Greta Van Fleet song "Built by Nations". That riff is fuckin tasty

I still think My Way, Soon is my favorite. Some people seem to hate it, but at least it's the least Led Zeppelinly song. Zeppelin would never have written something so happy sounding. : )

Broken Bells pretty darn good too.
    Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetAre we really arguing popularity as a metric for quality?

No. Pay attention.

LOL, can't even take ownership of your own shots, how sad. Of course, you called them "jealous" and unpopular for no reason at all, silly me!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Aidenc
    • Nov 16th 2021

People want a band that sounds like Zeppelin, and get mad when there's a band that sounds like Zeppelin. I don't understand.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Nov 16th 2021

They're a decent band. Seen them live twice and they were fucking impeccable, one of the best live bands I've ever seen. And I've seen a LOT of bands!

I'm glad I got to see them in the smaller venues while they were, well, smaller.
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoet

No. Pay attention.

LOL, can't even take ownership of your own shots, how sad. Of course, you called them "jealous" and unpopular for no reason at all, silly me!

Man, you do put the toil in Toilet, don’t you?
    Your default position is to be as rude/provocative/annoying as possible.
    Which would be fine if you could handle the reprisals… but you can’t. You say you’re being trolled/bullied, singled out etc. You single yourself out, Toilet.
    •  
    • Nov 17th 2021 edited

Man have I got some great news for Alex!

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 17th 2021

Posted By: InfernoMan have I got some great news for Alex!

Since when is their sister playing in the band?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 17th 2021 edited

Still have to check them out when they come to Holland. Last time their Amsterdam gig was sold out in minutes.
    Posted By: AidencPeople want a band that sounds like Zeppelin, and get mad when there's a band that sounds like Zeppelin. I don't understand.

Why would anyone want a band that sounds like Zeppelin when we already have Zeppelin who sound like Zeppelin?

I don’t understand either
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon

No. Pay attention.

Man, you do put the toil in Toilet, don’t you?
    Which would be fine if you could handle the reprisals… but you can’t. You say you’re being trolled/bullied, singled out etc. You single yourself out, Toilet.

Very true.
    •  
    • Nov 17th 2021

Posted By: BillyBollocks
    Posted By: AidencPeople want a band that sounds like Zeppelin, and get mad when there's a band that sounds like Zeppelin. I don't understand.

Why would anyone want a band that sounds like Zeppelin when we already have Zeppelin who sound like Zeppelin?

They're better than Zeppelin.

*RUNS FOR COVER*
    Greta are solid as a rock live, such a great show. The last album was meh for me, i felt like i was listening to the same song over and over. A shame because their first EP and Album were great. Hopefully they bounce back. Go and see them and you will get a much better appreciation for them. I saw them at the Manchester Academy so cool to see that they've been upgraded to the Apollo
    Greta are pretty derivative and are pretty lame character wise. Watch any interviews with em and you want to give them a good slap. I wouldn't turn em off if they were on, but they're a 6/10 at best.
    Posted By: SuperscallyGreta are pretty derivative and are pretty lame character wise. Watch any interviews with em and you want to give them a good slap. I wouldn't turn em off if they were on, but they're a 6/10 at best.

I've warmed to GVF but I think what you say about the lack of character/personality is fair. As with the Strokes, you've kind of heard it all before but the Strokes had an NYC swagger and arrogance all of their own and, it must be said, better songs. Not sure if the former is a problem GVF can be reasonably expected to solve, though - you either have charisma/presence or you don't.
    That hobbit woman they have singing for em is fucking weird as fuck
    •  
    • Nov 17th 2021 edited

Posted By: BillyBollocksWhy would anyone want a band that sounds like Zeppelin when we already have Zeppelin who sound like Zeppelin?

Because they are an actual band and you can see them live...?
    Posted By: BillyBollocksThat hobbit woman they have singing for em is fucking weird as fuck

What are you going to do about that?
    Posted By: Meanstreak
    Posted By: BillyBollocksThat hobbit woman they have singing for em is fucking weird as fuck

What are you going to do about that?

Keep ignoring her?
    Posted By: BillyBollocksWhy would anyone want a band that sounds like Zeppelin when we already have Zeppelin who sound like Zeppelin?

Because they are an actual band and you can see them live...?

So Zeppelin are dead as a live band so you can’t listen to them when you want to hear Zeppelin, so you have to go and see a vastly inferior, borderline tragic other band?

That’s like saying you’ll have to go and see Airborne when the boys split up
    Anyone up for the London show in June next year let me know.
    •  
    • Nov 17th 2021

I may be up for that
    Posted By: DustDevilI may be up for that

Fantastic. Now we just need to work on Billy :)

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Aidenc
    • Nov 17th 2021

Posted By: DustDevil
    Posted By: BillyBollocks

They're better than Zeppelin.

*RUNS FOR COVER*

LOL
    Posted By: Alex LebanonMan, you do put the toil in Toilet, don’t you?

Seriously? All I did was post a video of somebody else making a constructive critique with a generally positive takeaway, and added no comments of my own to the video, even. But it's not provocative to jump in and diss the band of the guy critiquing them with a popularity argument? Come on. The inability to take criticism of some members without responding with juvenile insults is astounding. I have to be a bigger star than Iommi to critique him, but now even a literal famous artist can't critique a young startup band? You can hate my opinions all you want, but 9 times out of 10, I am making carefully and exhaustively stated arguments while those responding offer little more than juvenile insults. Don't gaslight me.
    Posted By: Alex LebanonMan, you do put the toil in Toilet, don’t you?

Seriously? All I did was post a video of somebody else making a constructive critique with a generally positive takeaway, and added no comments of my own to the video, even. But it's not provocative to jump in and diss the band of the guy critiquing them with a popularity argument? Come on. The inability to take criticism of some members without responding with juvenile insults is astounding. I have to be a bigger star than Iommi to critique him, but now even a literal famous artist can't critique a young startup band? You can hate my opinions all you want, but 9 times out of 10, I am making carefully and exhaustively stated arguments while those responding offer little more than juvenile insults. Don't gaslight me.

I have no idea what you’re on about when you say I’m gaslighting you. My point is really very simple: it’s the jeering, sarcastic, needlessly confrontational and – to use your word - juvenile tone of posts like this that puts people’s backs up:

"LOL, can't even take ownership of your own shots, how sad. Of course, you called them "jealous" and unpopular for no reason at all, silly me!"

As I’ve said before, your posts about songwriting and song structure are interesting and insightful - if you dialled down the passive-aggressive attitude you’d have a much easier ride on here. That’s my two cents, take it or leave it.
    •  
    • Nov 18th 2021 edited

Posted By: ToiletWallPoetSeriously? All I did was post a video of somebody else making a constructive critique with a generally positive takeaway, and added no comments of my own to the video, even. But it's not provocative to jump in and diss the band of the guy critiquing them with a popularity argument? Come on. The inability to take criticism of some members without responding with juvenile insults is astounding. I have to be a bigger star than Iommi to critique him, but now even a literal famous artist can't critique a young startup band? You can hate my opinions all you want, but 9 times out of 10, I am making carefully and exhaustively stated arguments while those responding offer little more than juvenile insults. Don't gaslight me.

I'm the one who made the comment that "other bands are jealous". And they certainly are. I never said anything about artistic integrity or using artistic quality as a metric. YOU brought that into the conversation.

I've seen numerous bands dis Greta Van Fleet. It's purely from a popularity and monetary standpoint. Perfect example is Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree). A guy who I have huge respect for musically. He raked them over the coals and it was all from a place of jealousy. He couldn't fathom why he and his band weren't bigger and making more money. Same with that Justin guy in the video. He faults GVF for ripping off one band, but fully admits, and thinks it's okay, if you rip off two bands at the same time. It's ludicrous.

I don't give a shit if someone likes GVF or not. I understand the criticism. But these other bands going after them are coming from a place of pure jealousy. That's a fact.

Does anyone know of any bands that are bigger and more popular than GVF going after them? That would be interesting. That might have some merit.
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI have no idea what you’re on about when you say I’m gaslighting you. My point is really very simple: it’s the jeering, sarcastic, needlessly confrontational and – to use your word - juvenile tone of posts like this that puts people’s backs up:

"LOL, can't even take ownership of your own shots, how sad. Of course, you called them "jealous" and unpopular for no reason at all, silly me!"

As I’ve said before, your posts about songwriting and song structure are interesting and insightful - if you dialled down the passive-aggressive attitude you’d have a much easier ride on here. That’s my two cents, take it or leave it.

You can't take comments out of context of the discussion. You're skipping the provocation and treating the reaction as provocation. As I said, I did nothing but post a video as food for thought. It was Inferno who responded by accusing Hawkins of "jealousy". Ignoring that as provocation just seems like selective blindness.

That said, I take your point. It can become a cycle where it's hard to break out of the tit-for-tat. I really don't try to keep tabs of who I've disagreed with or argued with in order to keep up grudges or anything like that.
    Posted By: InfernoI'm the one who made the comment that "other bands are jealous". And they certainly are. I never said anything about artistic integrity or using artistic quality as a metric. YOU brought that into the conversation.

You were responding to a video critiquing their artistic quality...

Posted By: InfernoI've seen numerous bands dis Greta Van Fleet. It's purely from a popularity and monetary standpoint. Perfect example is Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree). A guy who I have huge respect for musically. He raked them over the coals and it was all from a place of jealousy. He couldn't fathom why he and his band weren't bigger and making more money. Same with that Justin guy in the video. He faults GVF for ripping off one band, but fully admits, and thinks it's okay, if you rip off two bands at the same time. It's ludicrous.

I don't know Steven Wilson, so I can't speak to his personal internal motivations for what he says. I don't think you can either. It's just armchair psychoanalyzing, which is almost never done in good faith. That's why dismissing criticism as "jealousy" is provocative, to say the least.

Justin also never accused them of "ripping off" LZ. Let's be clear about that. I actually call people out all the time for abusing the phrase "ripoff" because influence is not plagiarism. Say what you will about GVF, they are not plagiarists. They write their own songs. You can't plagiarize a style. His criticism is largely the same as mine; all I care about is the songwriting, and I haven't found anything compelling so far. I could care less if they sound exactly like LZ.

What he does say is that creativity is about fusing influences. That's how things move forward. The Darkness have more influences than just DC and Queen. And he credits GVF for expanding their influence on the 2nd album.

Posted By: InfernoBut these other bands going after them are coming from a place of pure jealousy. That's a fact.

Does anyone know of any bands that are bigger and more popular than GVF going after them? That would be interesting. That might have some merit.

No, that's definitely an opinion. You can be less popular than another artist and criticize them without being jealous.

Robert Plant criticized them. Is that good enough? The idea that the merit of your criticism hinges on your relative popularity is just silly. Come on, there are tons of amazing artists who never got their due and tons of talentless hacks who sell out stadiums.