[ Sign In | Register ]

Posted By: benjiThe fact that hardcore AC/DC fans, who admire the intricacies and craftsmanship of Malcolm and Angus' songs, can sit there and completely disrespect and depreciate The Beatles is completely beyond me. I won't waste my time typing out my full thoughts on the subject, as it is simply not worth wasting my time and effort doing so, only to have someone like GShootin make some snide remark in response. All I will say is that I am 23 years old, so clearly you didn't "have to be there to understand it". Oh yeah, and one more thing, I appreciate The Beatles these days much much more than I do AC/DC.

Posted By: SpellboundNot a patch on what came after them.

Seriously mate, think before you type.

What's the point in bitching about getting snide remarks when your initial post is just as snide as anything that would be posted in response?

This whole "you have to be there to understand" thing is bullshit. Part of the reason Back in Black is so beloved is because it's a timeless album. The broad majority of the band's catalog is timeless. If you need context like that to enjoy a band, they have no reason to be called "the best band ever" in my firm opinion.

I'll give more detailed responses from various posts when I have a chance to hop on my computer.
    The context is not to enjoy the band, it is to understand its importance.
    But again, importance =/= quality. I understand and respect the Beatle's influence on music. But importance is not enough to say the music is good.

AC/DC are one of the most important bands in hard rock, but I couldn't give less of a fuck about that. I listen to them because the music is awesome on its own without context.
    You're not getting it! The Beatles have amazing music. I'm not that much of a fan, but denying it is fooling yourself. But ASIDE from that, the importance that their music had, changed the (music) world forever! Thats why they are considered one of the best acts of all time. Not only they created great music, but they influenced pretty much everyone that came later with it.
    Posted By: beanofire

Yup, that's it. And can anyone paraphrase Jack's post for me?

Mati sort of summed it up best. In this rare instance, he and I agree on the Beatles.

Posted By: matirockerYou're not getting it! The Beatles have amazing music. I'm not that much of a fan, but denying it is fooling yourself. But ASIDE from that, the importance that their music had, changed the (music) world forever! Thats why they are considered one of the best acts of all time. Not only they created great music, but they influenced pretty much everyone that came later with it.
    • AC/DC rock music: shocker
    • Apr 20th 2017

If we were living and listening to music in the sixties we would probably liked The Beatles more.
    But I would not been a fan. There were also other and IMO better bands back then.
    And to me The Beatles was more a pop band than a rock band.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Apr 20th 2017

I'd choose to listen to the Stones all day long over any Beatles album but that in no way diminishes my respect for what The Beatles did. Arguably the most important band of all time but when it comes to my personal musical preferences, they aren't really a contender. Add to that all my favourite songs by McCartney, Lennon and Harrison were post Beatles. (Live and Let Die, How Do You Sleep, Wah Wah)
    • AC/DC rock music: GShootin
    • Apr 20th 2017

Posted By: benji
    Posted By: GShootin
    Posted By: benjiAll I will say is that I am 23 years old, so clearly you didn't "have to be there to understand it". Oh yeah, and one more thing, I appreciate The Beatles these days much much more than I do AC/DC

You'll grow out of it.

Maybe, but the sad thing is that you won't.

Ha! i like it.

I consider myself very fortunate that i've always (bar a brief phase in my mid teens where i dabbled in hair metal) to have always known what i like. I've never felt the need to follow trends or just accept bands as being 'great' because i was told so by critics or peers

The Beatles, like Queen were just two of the bands i heard at a very early age and knew were shit. And nothing over the next 30 odd years has made me reassess that opinion

Always trust your own ears
    • Apr 20th 2017

I may not have been born with a foot-long dong but thank fuck I didn't get GShootin's ears. Thinking Queen are shit, I ask you..
    • Apr 20th 2017

Posted By: RonI may not have been born with a foot-long dong but thank fuck I didn't get GShootin's ears. Thinking Queen are shit, I ask you..

I don't think they're shit. I know they're shit. HUGE difference. Respect
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Apr 20th 2017

All ears are equal, but some ears are more equal than others. And GShootin's ears are the equalst ;)
    • Apr 20th 2017

LOL, I remember when I was a kid and we had to sing The Beatles songs in the school.

We all live in a yellow submarine
    yellow submarine, yellow submarine
    • Apr 20th 2017

We had to do When I'm 64 in primary school. Fuck I hated that song. For every Come Together, there's one of those whimsical pieces of Paul shit knocking about the place.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Apr 20th 2017

Anyone can write off a band or artist. It's easy.

Jimi Hendrix? Wanky

Janis Joplin? Horrible sounding voice

J.S Bach? Too many notes and not enough tune

The Smiths? 80s foppery

AC/DC? Music for the miniscule-minded

And I'm sure there are people out there who hold these opinions steadfastly and cite their expertise as coming from the university of life, but the fact of the matter is that if you want to state it as anything beyond subjective opinion, you will eventually need to produce some empirical evidence. Not just what you and your mates say.
    • Apr 20th 2017

It depends on whether you are saying it has merit or whether you personally like it. I can appreciate a classically trained musician explaining why Mozart is a genius, but that doesn't follow with me busting a groove to Cosi Fan Tutti. If you think the Beatles are completely worthless in the historical context of music culture, you're either trolling, an idiot or you've got to put forward a coherent thesis. But not liking the music because it does nothing for you...That's fine. They don't need the money or the acclaim.
    • AC/DC rock music: beanofire
    • Apr 20th 2017 edited

And the Beatles and Zeppelin's music does nothing for me. They are all probably top musicians, but it just doesn't float my boat. Respect them for what they have achieved? Maybe. Like the music. No.
    No one said they are worthless. Reread the thread.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Apr 20th 2017 edited

A couple of kilometres down the road from me is Abbey Road Studios.. Whenever you pass it, whatever time of day or night, there are tourists there (usually young) because of The Beatles. Their mark on music is enormous.

The 50s had silly-sounding stuff which sounds naff now, whereas the Beatles came along and honed what would become classic song structures. Not saying they were first, but they had a huge influence on all that followed..

Even Hendrix loved them.

Me? Not too fussed, not my cup o'tea. Loved playing a couple of their more guitar-orientated ones live though. Back In The USSR, Day Tripper...great songs.
    But again, importance =/= quality. I understand and respect the Beatle's influence on music. But importance is not enough to say the music is good.

AC/DC are one of the most important bands in hard rock, but I couldn't give less of a fuck about that. I listen to them because the music is awesome on its own without context."nd

My 16 year old son loves the Beatles as do many of his mates - they know fuck all about the context, i'd wager, and I think the band's timelessness is one of the reasons they're still so massively popular. Lots of great Sixties bands (the Byrds, for example) DO sound of their era but the Beatles' talent, passion and musicianship transcend the 60s just as HTH doesn't sound dated but, say, Van Halen's debut does.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Apr 20th 2017

Thirty odd years ago as teenagers my sister was a massive Beatles fan, whereas I was into the Stones. She collected anything she could get her hands on, albums, singles, movies, books....
    So I have heard it all many times over. There's no denying they wrote some good songs, especially in the second half of their career.
    But I have never ever had the urge to buy any Beatles product. I've never owned a cd of theirs in my life. And I don't see it happening in the future.
    I guess their music never "spoke" to me.
    Still listening to the Stones, AC/DC, Who, Yardbirds... fuck even Led Zeppelin after 30+ years. That music means something to me.
    That said, Abbey Road is their best album and I kill Octopus's Garden at karaoke.

The Beatles are timeless, I am only 21 and I love them.

Being there means nothing.

Enough said
    Right on mati.
    • Apr 21st 2017

We all know how important George Young and Harry Vanda are in AC∕DC`s history.
    And The Easybeats was without a doubt influenced by The Beatles. Some say that The Easybeats was Australias Beatles.
    But then I almost never listen to The Easybeats either. It just doesn`t fit into my taste.
    • Apr 21st 2017

Posted By: matirocker

Enough said

Indeed. I rest my case
    •  
    • Apr 21st 2017

I couldn't resist myself, loading up the picture of GShootin again

• Apr 21st 2017

Indeed.

There's not another set of music fans out there that can't handle other folks hating a band like the Beatles lovers.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Apr 21st 2017 edited

Just for GS appreciation. Graham Bonnet covering the Beatles with Slash playing guitar. Enjoy
    Recent live version by Graham here
    A couple of other interestingly unlikely covers:

• AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Apr 21st 2017 edited

Posted By: GShootinIndeed.

There's not another set of music fans out there that can't handle other folks hating a band like the Beatles lovers.

Doesn't bother me ...
    But there's not much on offer as to why they're "bad" ? 'I hate them' isn't bringing much to the table.
    Actually, if you really want to know how to be critical of the Beatles, read some of Lennon's 70s era interviews ... he pissed all over a lot of their work, esp Paul's .... he changed his mind later on, but it's fascinating to read, and in typical John fashion a lot of his arguments are razor fucking sharp.
    •  
    • Apr 21st 2017

• AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • Apr 21st 2017

• Apr 21st 2017

Posted By: Mike206
    Actually, if you really want to know how to be critical of the Beatles, read some of Lennon's 70s era interviews ... he pissed all over a lot of their work, esp Paul's .... he changed his mind later on, but it's fascinating to read, and in typical John fashion a lot of his arguments are razor fucking sharp.

I'd rather listen to the Beatles than read/hear that arsehole talking about anything to be honest. That may be a bit harsh, i'd rather listen to the Yoko Ono Band.
    •  
    • Apr 21st 2017

If you want to talk overrated, John Lennon as a person would fall into that category. As genuine as a $6 note.
    •  
    • Apr 22nd 2017

Checkmate haha.
    • Apr 22nd 2017

Posted By: GaolbreakIf you want to talk overrated, John Lennon as a person would fall into that category. As genuine as a $6 note.

Indeed. Dreadful cunt
    • Apr 22nd 2017

Can't disagree there. Paul isn't beyond screwing people over either
    •  
    • Apr 22nd 2017

It's a miracle those 2 lasted together almost 10 years.

I liked George the most.
    George was kind enough to give away his wife to Eric Clapton as well, doesn't get more charitable than that, boys & girls!