[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • May 18th 2009 edited

I've haven't had time to do this myself, but has anyone analysed AC/DC's setlist over the years?

Basically I'm trying to suss out whether our disappointment over the setlist (and the lack of variety and change between indoor and outdoor gigs) is justified, or whether this is what they've always done.

I'd be quite happy to drop the whole setlist argument and get back to just looking forward to seeing them live, but I need some concrete evidence that we're being unreasonable before I can do that!

What I have been thinking lately is that they have 5 songs from the promoting album in the set. From what I can recall they did not play many songs from SUL on that tour and there was some disappointment over that. I think it is good that they play the new songs in the set list, but they could vary the new songs.
    •  
    • May 18th 2009

I totally agree. If they play 5, fine, but mix them up a bit.

From my own experience, they played around with the setlist on the Ballbreaker tour - Who Made Who and Down Payment Blues were played once each, I believe. Cover You In Oil was played in the States but didn't make it to any of the Europe shows (?). At the Ballbreaker show I was at in Dublin, Hail Caesar, Hard As A Rock, Ballbreaker, and Boogie Man were played, but I don't know if CYIO was played in the US instead of one of those or in addition. So really, there is some precedent for 5 tracks from the new album being played. I posted on another thread about the SUL tour - at the European shows it was SUL, SINYC or maybe Meltdown. Satellite Blues was played in some US shows. They have never been the type of band who mixes it up - ever. That is a fact. But my point isn't that I expect them to open with Guns For Hire or Playing With Girls. I just expect that when they play a city a mere 2 months after they were last there, they should do more than just add Dog Eat Dog. All they've got to do is drop 2 from Black Ice and play a couple of classics. Who wouldn't be happy with that? Surely no one would rather hear BI than IYWB? Maybe I'm wrong...

The point is this is nothing new - the band have never mixed it up. But that doesn't mean we can't have a whinge about it. They set the standard on the SUL tour - the setlist changed between the inddoor and outdoor shows. I posted it elsewhere, but basically Problem Child, UTMNIY and WDYDFMH were drafted in. That's not an amazing change, but it would please most people and be just different enough from the last show they saw in their city to keep everyone excited...

Adding DED is not a setlist change in my opinion. Adding a song is great, but id rather see some of the existing songs dropped for some lesser known songs. They can keep 5 BI tracks, I can live with that.

This might help with your research:-

http://www.setlist.f...

I agree about that a little bit more variation would be a good thing. I'd like to know why they aren't changing things, even a little bit on a night by night basis. Thats the real question..."why not?"
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: ulstersaint
    • May 18th 2009 edited

You've hit the nail on the head - why not? Who would it hurt? After all, casual fans are probably as unfamiliar with the song Black Ice as they are with What's Next To The Moon. Surely the band get bored? Basically, there can be no reason why they can't change it about very slightly each night. I went to 6 shows so far on this tour and even one song changed per night would've made ALL the difference. Imagine if they had just changed round one song each night - we'd be on this very forum celebrating the fact that we saw IYWB in Munich, Girls Got Rhythm in Paris, RnR Damnation in Manchester, Moneytalks in Birmingham, Gone Shootin' the first night in London, and Let's Get It Up the second. And that's just changing one fuckin' song...

WHY NOT?????????????????????
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonscott
    • May 18th 2009

One word: teleprompter.
    They can change that easily. No excuse really.
    •  
    • May 19th 2009

Bonscott might have a point. Brian doesn't stray too far from the teleprompter these days, so if he can't remember words to songs that he sings every night can we really expect him to know the words to songs he might have sung a handful of times over his entire career?
    Conversely, if he's not straying too far from the teleprompter these days, surely they could play whatever they want?
    •  
    • May 20th 2009

Fair point. I guess the shows can't get any more robotic than they are now.
    • AC/DC rock music: GoZone
    • May 20th 2009

I personally have problems with the current setlist as many of you know. I think it can be a slap in the face to hard core fans, to tell the truth.
    • May 20th 2009

is Schoo23L on here? He got mad a me for talking about this issue and I cannot see why? As a die hard fan, I would like to see them change some things and get out of auto pilot mode.
    •  
    • May 20th 2009

Most of us here feel were entitled to express annoyance at the setlist, but we wont slam those who think otherwise.
    • May 20th 2009

I was not slammin him, he is actually a cool guy, he has inside info from friends about the setlist.
    •  
    • May 20th 2009

Get him on here! We're desperate to know what the story is.
    •  
    • May 20th 2009

I like the setlist, but just want some variety and songs for us long timers
    • May 20th 2009

^I will ask him, he actually heard the album before anyone else, well, I think half of it but still pretty cool

hey, who owns this site? bonlives?
    •  
    • May 20th 2009

Yeah I read elsewhere that he heard the album early. Some of us here were at the RNRT train video shoot so got a good taste of what was to come.

Hope I don't sound like a wanker (or worse a politician) by saying this but no one owns this site - its the fans that own it.

I started it out of sheer desperation for a forum with people who actually love the band... now it belongs to anyone who cares to post.

And fair play to you for doing so - it's a great forum and it's great to see so many familiar names on here (GoZone, Ian etc). Well done for starting it mate, it's great to have a fuckin decent forum to visit....