[ Sign In | Register ]

• AC/DC rock music: goosecat
    • Mar 18th 2016 edited

I'm new around here so first of all G'day.

I've always had this question regarding ACDC running around in my mind that I've never really had answered and no journalists seem to have asked.

What's with all the weird orchestral type background music being played throughout the Highway To Hell album.
    For example the start of side two begins with that ghostly sounding operatic male voice effectively going OOOOO-OOOO before breaking into the song and it carries through the song if you listen carefully. There's stuff going on all through the album and it never seems to have been discussed anywhere that I can find.

Was it a gimmick to garner interest and start gossip? What was the thinking behind it? How was it done? Would the album have succeed just as well without it? The music is strong enough on it's own! Everyone goes on about possible "Backward Masking" but no one discusses the actual obvious stuff. Why is that?
    Anyone have an opinion?

Cheers,
    G
    Dude.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Mar 19th 2016 edited

I have a similar question with the BUYV album. On there you hear some annoying, sméagol like sound throughout all off the songs. Anybody?
    Can you hook me up with your acid dealer? :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Mar 19th 2016

You want to stay away from that fucking acid my friend :)
    • Mar 19th 2016

OK so some of the responses have me wondering. I have never listened to another persons "Highway To Hell" cassette tape.
    I'm not some tripped out dude. My tape has all sorts of loud orchestral type music, wailing voices and other sounds all over it.
    When I have played it to others they all think it must be on all cassette tapes as a gimmick. We just don't hear these versions on radio.
    So genuinely can someone please tell me? Is it the same on their Highway To Hell cassette (it would have to be a cassette) or is something going on?
    I have tried to find another original Highway to Hell tape to compare but haven't been able to (they are becoming rare).
    None of my mates or relatives have one.
    It's a genuine inquiry.
    Thx
    G
    Posted By: goosecatOK so some of the responses have me wondering. I have never listened to another persons "Highway To Hell" cassette tape.
    I'm not some tripped out dude. My tape has all sorts of loud orchestral type music, wailing voices and other sounds all over it.
    When I have played it to others they all think it must be on all cassette tapes as a gimmick. We just don't hear these versions on radio.
    So genuinely can someone please tell me? Is it the same on their Highway To Hell cassette (it would have to be a cassette) or is something going on?
    I have tried to find another original Highway to Hell tape to compare but haven't been able to (they are becoming rare).
    None of my mates or relatives have one.
    It's a genuine inquiry.
    Thx
    G

I am wondering if you have a "double image" on your cassette tape. Maybe you have two separate recordings on your tape?
    • AC/DC rock music: Strat54
    • Mar 19th 2016

I bought a cassette once which I thought was one artist only to find it was completely different. And it was store bought, nothing about it was or looked suss. Not surprised you found something weird on yours. Rest assured it is the cassette, no other version of the album has orchestral music running behind Highway to Hell
    • Mar 20th 2016 edited

Thanks for the replies.
    You couldn't write this stuff and I know it all sounds ridiculous but it's true. I found another "Highway To Hell" cassette tape advertised on Ebay here in Australia.
    Supposedly in very good condition. This question has bugged me since my teens. I have had this cassette with all the weirdness described above since I was about 13. I don't recall where it came from as I don't recall buying it and to be honest I only ever played it to myself. The kids at my school weren't into ACDC at 13 and I wasn't sure what I really thought of it at that stage. All these years I had been too scared to ask anyone if something was weird about my cassette tape for fear of being ridiculed. So I decide literally just a couple of days ago to buy this second original ACDC Highway To Hell cassette tape off Ebay, to finally confirm whether or not I had something special (or weird depending on your definition).
    Both are Australian productions TC-APLP-046 on the tapes. I put the recently acquired tape in the player and guess what? The bloody thing wont play, silence. Then I hear it, the start of Highway to Hell slowed down to like near stop speed. It sounds like a slowed down record and all weird and yes "devilish", as anyone would know happens to music when slowed down this much, then it stops. The player attempts to change tape direction with no joy and then ejects the tape. I turn it over for the same result before finally it wont play at all, ejects the tape and an error appears on my cassette player saying SYS. It's some kind of system error fault. I reset the player and keep trying but now it wont play at all, I think the thing must be damaged inside.
    I'm giving all this detail so people realise I couldn't possibly be making this stuff up. I write to the seller on Ebay saying he's sold me a dud and I'm gonna give him a negative rating and complain to Ebay and I get no response. So now I have two Australian ACDC Highway To Hell cassette tapes. One that wont play at all and one I've had since the 80s full of weird orchestral and wailing sounds all over it. If I was a believer in these things I'd say the world is determined for me never to find out what's actually going on with this cassette tape.
    Assuming it is some kind of double image. Who would go to that extent? Who had the facilities required to even do it back then other than real studios? The questions just keep rolling on from there. How many were done? etc, etc.
    I don't want it to get all weird but I think I may have something that was planted a long time ago and meant to have come out a long time ago. For whatever reason it's coming out now. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do with it.
    G
    No, I think we could sum this up as being a a dud as well. Case closed.
    • Mar 20th 2016

Posted By: flattusmaximusNo, I think we could sum this up as being a a dud as well. Case closed.

Hmm. I do know a little about music believe it or not. I'm pretty DAW proficient but don't really understand how the double image could occur on a cassettes magnetic tape back in the day. I'd love for you to tell me how regular it occurs. I can't seem to find much on the net. What are the chances do you think of a Highway to Hell tape being layered with weird orchestral music all through it in the background, from production? Pretty slim I'd say, ever heard of another case?
    • AC/DC rock music: Bushido
    • Mar 20th 2016

Cassette is wound too tight, or it has not been played in a looong time and the tape is sticking together... rewind the tape completely a few times, that will straighten out your problems with it. Have a little bit of experience with these some where in the past ;)
    I don't need to know how it occurred. I'm just stating that your orchestra stuff wasn't intentionally put there by anyone. Your tapes are just effed.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Mar 20th 2016

trololol.
    • AC/DC rock music: GShootin
    • Mar 20th 2016

Posted By: goosecatI'm new around here so first of all G'day.

I've always had this question regarding ACDC running around in my mind that I've never really had answered and no journalists seem to have asked.

What's with all the weird orchestral type background music being played throughout the Highway To Hell album.
    For example the start of side two begins with that ghostly sounding operatic male voice effectively going OOOOO-OOOO before breaking into the song and it carries through the song if you listen carefully. There's stuff going on all through the album and it never seems to have been discussed anywhere that I can find.

Was it a gimmick to garner interest and start gossip? What was the thinking behind it? How was it done? Would the album have succeed just as well without it? The music is strong enough on it's own! Everyone goes on about possible "Backward Masking" but no one discusses the actual obvious stuff. Why is that?
    Anyone have an opinion?

Cheers,
    G

This is the most bizarre post i've ever seen on here! and i've read all of JBN's

Are you seriously saying that since 1979 you've never heard the bloody album on another format and just concluded you just have a bad copy ???

Mental
    There was an Alberts HTH Promo vinyl sold recently on Discogs that the seller said "Had weird talking and sound effects on it". I wanted it, for curiosity but it had sold by the time I got my shit together. I messaged him afterwards but he was vague on details.

Just to add a bit of mystery to the debate.
    • Mar 20th 2016 edited

Regarding the comments of not putting it together before. I have always suspected I had something special (or weird depending on your thought process).In my defence I have played it to others and no one else has been able to come up with an explanation either, so I'm not alone. It's only come up now because of all the dramas surrounding ACDC at the moment which made me revisit it. It has been locked away and unplayed for more than a decade or so (sacrilege I know, but I do have later ACDC CDs on rotation) . I write music and I'm pretty good with Cubase so although I'm no expert I can say that what is on this tape does not appear to be accidental. There are volume changes to the background stuff and apparent production efforts people who make music would understand. It would appear to have been put there by someone, the questions are who, where, and why?
    I'm not some drug crazed dude.
    I think what I need to do is get some other people to hear it besides friends and family. I'll look into converting it to MP3 to make it more available, though I suspect the background stuff will become less audible during digitisation.
    G
    • Mar 20th 2016 edited

Posted By: tomscotlandThere was an Alberts HTH Promo vinyl sold recently on Discogs that the seller said "Had weird talking and sound effects on it". I wanted it, for curiosity but it had sold by the time I got my shit together. I messaged him afterwards but he was vague on details.

I would love to find out who brought that and where it is now.
    I'm not a real believer in the whole "devil" thing but I have never mentioned it to the missus all these years till yesterday, she was brought up in a very religious family and doesn't like the music anyway. Now having heard it she thinks I should get rid of it, it sounds too demonic for her liking. It's not just music, there are voices and wailing sounds etc.
    I used to keep this stuff to myself cause it all sounds so implausible but I now find myself wanting to investigate it properly.
    I'd say I'm more comfortable with it sitting in Angus and Malcolm's promotional ideas of the whole band image and hell theme etc. A Young family promotional idea of a few copies to grow the whispers and aura around the bands music. They certainly went the whole hog regarding growing that theme. I'm guessing there might be a few "special" copies around that people are hanging onto for their own reasons.
    Posted By: goosecat
    Posted By: tomscotlandThere was an Alberts HTH Promo vinyl sold recently on Discogs that the seller said "Had weird talking and sound effects on it". I wanted it, for curiosity but it had sold by the time I got my shit together. I messaged him afterwards but he was vague on details.

I'm not a real believer in the whole "devil" thing but I have never mentioned it to the missus all these years till yesterday, she was brought up in a very religious family and doesn't like the music anyway. Now having heard it she thinks I should get rid of it, it sounds too demonic for her liking. It's not just music, there are voices and wailing sounds etc.
    I used to keep this stuff to myself cause it all sounds so implausible but I now find myself wanting to investigate it properly.
    I'd say I'm more comfortable with it sitting in Angus and Malcolm's promotional ideas of the whole band image and hell theme etc. A Young family promotional idea of a few copies to grow the whispers and aura around the bands music. They certainly went the whole hog regarding growing that theme. I'm guessing there might be a few "special" copies around that people are hanging onto for their own reasons.

I doubt there is that much to it.
    • Mar 21st 2016 edited

Posted By: WickedWomanStealer

I'm hearing ya. I think that's why I sat on it all these years. There had to be an explanation, but as a young kid being raised in a religious family where Rock music was said to be from "The Devil", part of me (remember I was very young) entertained the idea it was meant for me in some way and so I kept it quiet (yes I'm aware of how silly that sounds). Now that I've finally thrown it out there however, I've yet to hear one. I'm open to any considered and explained ideas. All I get is the same responses from people who have heard it now. "That's weird, there must be some explanation", and then when you go through it, song by song and listen for the all the various changes and voices (some refuse to listen to it again) etc they all respond the same way. They can't explain it, all agreeing "it's freaky and weird but there must be an explanation some how". There are those that go the whole "That's not right" line, "you should get rid of it" and then I get the usual, why have you sat on this all this time? The truth is I don't really know why. It seems odd, even to me.
    Someone has put these affects on this tape, that's a fact. The questions are Who, Why and How?.
    HTH is my Favorite Bon Album.
    Posted By: ACDCLIVE11HTH is my Favorite Bon Album.

Unless it has an orchestra in the background, then not so much
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Mar 22nd 2016

Posted By: WickedWomanStealer

I'm hearing ya. I think that's why I sat on it all these years. There had to be an explanation, but as a young kid being raised in a religious family where Rock music was said to be from "The Devil", part of me (remember I was very young) entertained the idea it was meant for me in some way and so I kept it quiet (yes I'm aware of how silly that sounds). Now that I've finally thrown it out there however, I've yet to hear one. I'm open to any considered and explained ideas. All I get is the same responses from people who have heard it now. "That's weird, there must be some explanation", and then when you go through it, song by song and listen for the all the various changes and voices (some refuse to listen to it again) etc they all respond the same way. They can't explain it, all agreeing "it's freaky and weird but there must be an explanation some how". There are those that go the whole "That's not right" line, "you should get rid of it" and then I get the usual, why have you sat on this all this time? The truth is I don't really know why. It seems odd, even to me.
    Someone has put these affects on this tape, that's a fact. The questions are Who, Why and How?.

Which shows what utter bullshit religion is.
    ^Was Chris Cornell's dad at Altamount?
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm^Was Chris Cornell's dad at Altamount?

Nice catch re: the provenance of the pic. He's clearly not happy how low Bill's bass is in the mix.

Chris Cornell's dad's probably a respectable university lecturer!
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon

Nice catch re: the provenance of the pic. He's clearly not happy how low Bill's bass is in the mix.

I guess Chris Cornell's dad was a pharmacist. Wasn't sure about the year of the pic because the Hells Angels guy's hair doesn't look very late 60's, plus he's wearing an earring. Now that I think of it, he can of looks like a Stone Temple Pilots fan.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

I guess Chris Cornell's dad was a pharmacist. Wasn't sure about the year of the pic because the Hells Angels guy's hair doesn't look very late 60's, plus he's wearing an earring. Now that I think of it, he can of looks like a Stone Temple Pilots fan.

It's so perfect - in a very dark way - that Altamont occurred in the very last month of the 60s - like the cultural hangover from Hell.
    •  
    • Mar 22nd 2016

Or could it be that he didn't like Charlie Watts' hi-hat?
    Posted By: ThankassOr could it be that he didn't like Charlie Watts' hi-hat?

BA DUM tssshh
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

It's so perfect - in a very dark way - that Altamont occurred in the very last month of the 60s - like the cultural hangover from Hell.

Party's over people. Time to go home.
    •  
    • Mar 22nd 2016

This Hells Angel besides him was a nasty fucker. Looked at Jagger like he wanted to kill the fag..
    You can see how much the popularity of the bands was outstripping the live music industry/infrastructure at that point - they're playing to an audience of more than two capacity Wembley Stadium crowds from a three foot stage that the local jazz band might use at your mate's wedding.
    Posted By: ThankassOr could it be that he didn't like Charlie Watts' hi-hat?

lol
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Elvir79
    • Jan 11th 2018

I've always wondered, why Bon carries devil star on HTH cover ? I guess for fun. :)

But also, on LP cover, you can noticed a second necklace on which it can count only 13 link.

Nice coincidence! :)
    Posted By: Elvir79I've always wondered, why Bon carries devil star on HTH cover ? I guess for fun. :)

But also, on LP cover, you can noticed a second necklace on which it can count only 13 link.

Nice coincidence! :)

It would seem the devil star (pentagram) was Silver Smith's?

https://cdn2-img.pre...
    • AC/DC rock music: GShootin
    • Jan 11th 2018

This thread was gold.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Toast
    • Jan 11th 2018

Good ol' times
    • AC/DC rock music: shocker
    • Jan 12th 2018

Posted By: SpellboundCan you hook me up with your acid dealer? :)

You can experience stuff like goosecat described by taking Lucy.