[ Sign In | Register ]

As much as I dislike TRE, Are You Ready and Money Talks are ok, I can almost hear how much better they’d sound with Phil and a good producer.
    Both albums had their lead off tracks to thank for the album's success. That and the world was ready for AC/DC at that precise moment in time in 1990 and 2008. BI whils thaving more filler definitely has the better songs overall
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Apr 12th 2022 edited

Posted By: carlos fandango
    Both albums had their lead off tracks to thank for the album's success. That and the world was ready for AC/DC at that precise moment in time in 1990 and 2008.

Spot on.

Also, there are even more interesting parallels: Starting with a completely new producer, after doing an album with George, that might not have performed commercially as expected.

A pattern that kept repeating ever since Powerage.

And weirdly enough, it happened to work every time: HTH, TRE, BI
    Posted By: DrBelfordAnd weirdly enough, it happened to work every time: HTH, TRE, BI

They should try it again in 2022.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Toast
    • Apr 25th 2022

I don’t actually listen to tracks from either on any sort of regular basis. So I don’t think either are that great - if I had to choose one for the most impact on career it would be Black Ice. It fully sealed AC/DCs commercial return.
    The real question should be: "Why does the average music fan think TRE to be superior to FTATR?"
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Moh
    • Apr 26th 2022

Posted By: mutt_langes_permThe real question should be: "Why does the average music fan think TRE to be superior to FTATR?"

Probably because of Thundertalks and Moneystruck. FTATR is criminally underrated.
    Posted By: Moh
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permThe real question should be: "Why does the average music fan think TRE to be superior to FTATR?"

Probably because of Thundertalks and Moneystruck. FTATR is criminally underrated.

Because of those hits but it depends on who you’re asking and how old they are.
    FTATR will forever be unfairly slagged off as the not as good follow up to BIB, so that’s that. TRE was kind of like a second BIB in that it put them on top of the world again and exposed them to millions of barely pubescent metal heads who probably didn’t know a damn thing about their history. TRE had zero to prove to these kids other than that AC/DC are awesome. FTATR had the impossible to prove to everyone.
    •  
    • Apr 26th 2022

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPost
    Posted By: Moh

FTATR will forever be unfairly slagged off as the not as good follow up to BIB, so that’s that. FTATR had the impossible to prove to everyone.

Sad but true. I do see the importance of TRE and I appreciate it's success but I would take FTATR over it any day.
    FTATR is criminally underrated.

Completely agree.
    Posted By: Angus12345

Completely agree.

It’s also the band’s fault for not playing any songs from it live. Aside from the title track which has eventually come to serve as the “let’s head to the parking lot before everyone else” moment.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Apr 26th 2022

TRE was an important album, if not so much for the album itself as to fill the time gap between the hideous album before and BB. It was a good effort to make us forget BUYV. Didn’t quite succéed but over all not that bad. Not better than FTATR but maybe (?) more well known in general among non hard core fans.
    •  
    • Apr 26th 2022

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPost
    Posted By: Angus12345

Completely agree.

It’s also the band’s fault for not playing any songs from it live. Aside from the title track which has eventually come to serve as the “let’s head to the parking lot before everyone else” moment.

That's true!
    • AC/DC rock music: TylerB
    • Apr 27th 2022

These two albums are in the middle for me. I have great memories with both. And both have solid tracks, okay tracks and tracks that aren't so hot. Razors Edge was the very first album I purchased and I was able to see the band live during the Black Ice tour. Everyone's opinions on albums changes over the years and mine is no exception. On a YouTube video I did I put Black Ice ahead of Razor's Edge but I'm not sure if I agree with that anymore. To me the solid stuff from RE is Thunderstruck, Razors Edge, Fire Your Guns, Moneytalks and Are You Ready. and from BI Rock 'n' Roll Train, War Machine, Big Jack, Stormy May Day and Money Made.. some may disagree with that but those are my favorites and the one's I feel are solid. But looking and comparing the two I have to say The Razors Edge songs are superior. So yeah Razors Edge might be better...
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostIt’s also the band’s fault for not playing any songs from it live. Aside from the title track which has eventually come to serve as the “let’s head to the parking lot before everyone else” moment.

What else would they play from it? PTFOY was a weird one live. I love LGIU but it's hard to justify in the set against bigger hits.
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoet
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostIt’s also the band’s fault for not playing any songs from it live. Aside from the title track which has eventually come to serve as the “let’s head to the parking lot before everyone else” moment.

What else would they play from it? PTFOY was a weird one live. I love LGIU but it's hard to justify in the set against bigger hits.

Anything from it. Literally anything.

The Stones have been playing both hits and keep cuts forever. It think they overestimate their audience’s giving a fuck what songs they play. Majority of the people are happy to get drunk, watch Angus go nuts and hear BIB, HTH and whatever the hell else it was they played.
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostAnything from it. Literally anything.

THIS. Well, except Breaking the Rules. But yeah, THIS!
    Posted By: ToiletWallPoetPTFOY was a weird one live.

It fucking ruled live. It was even better than the studio version. Do you know what sounded weird live? Anything Goes and Play Ball. Now those motherfuckas sounding weird live.
    It sounded good on the FTATR tour because they still were on top, performance-wise. I don't think it would have worked with Brian's changing voice and especially as Angus aged and struggled to keep up with the faster tunes live, especially finger picking.

But even in 1981, it was a pretty intricate and unusual arrangement to play live, especially as an opener. The first time I watched Landover '81, it felt weird that they opened with a song that starts with lead, drums and vocals, no rhythm. It doesn't really build the way FTATR or TS does, and it doesn't just kick in full force the way BIB does. I like the song, to be clear. It just felt weird live, to me.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Apr 29th 2022 edited

Posted By: ToiletWallPoetIt sounded good on the FTATR tour because they still were on top, performance-wise. I don't think it would have worked with Brian's changing voice and especially as Angus aged and struggled to keep up with the faster tunes live, especially finger picking.

But even in 1981, it was a pretty intricate and unusual arrangement to play live, especially as an opener. The first time I watched Landover '81, it felt weird that they opened with a song that starts with lead, drums and vocals, no rhythm. It doesn't really build the way FTATR or TS does, and it doesn't just kick in full force the way BIB does. I like the song, to be clear. It just felt weird live, to me.
    Many BIB songs weren't doing justice in later days also, and still they keep playing 5 to 6 songs of it even up to the last tour.

PTFOY wasn't an opener by the way. They always opened with Hells Bells on the Canon&Bell tour. PTFOY was song 5 in the set in Largo.
    For me it is the most enjoyable song on FTATR and that live version (especially the little sped up version) always rocked like hell.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Apr 29th 2022

It doesn't do much for me on the album, but live it certainly delivered. Or maybe it wasn't the song so much, but the band. Brian in particular.
    Posted By: JanonenIt doesn't do much for me on the album, but live it certainly delivered. Or maybe it wasn't the song so much, but the band. Brian in particular.

Can say the same for almost any song after a certain point, lol
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostCan say the same for almost any song after a certain point, lol

You can't say that for most songs on BIB. They haven't played the title track right since the early 80's.
    Posted By: ThankassMany BIB songs weren't doing justice in later days also, and still they keep playing 5 to 6 songs of it even up to the last tour.

PTFOY wasn't an opener by the way. They always opened with Hells Bells on the Canon&Bell tour. PTFOY was song 5 in the set in Largo.
    For me it is the most enjoyable song on FTATR and that live version (especially the little sped up version) always rocked like hell.

Yeah, but I think the finger picking is what would kill it. Angus struggles with FTATR nowadays and that's quite a bit slower.

You're right, it opens the Landover home video so that's why I was thinking that. Maybe I should listen to some other recordings of the 4 songs that precede it and see if I feel like it fits better then.

The outro definitely kicks ass live. Which just makes me think of how mind blowing the outro to Snowballed would be live in '81...

I do think it's a cool song but for some reason it's the one I forget the most from FTATR, except Night of the Long Knives.

Come to think of it, Evil Walks would have been a great live song. It has those big Hells Bells kind of ringing notes and a big Walk All Over You style chorus. I think my vote would be for that one.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_perm
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostCan say the same for almost any song after a certain point, lol

You can't say that for most songs on BIB. They haven't played the title track right since the early 80's.

Arguably, they've never played it right. Even on the BIB tour, Brian never tried to hit the studio notes and Angus changed the solo.