[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Feb 16th 2010

it might you know...

Thunderstruck, Fire Your Guns, Moneytalks, The Razors Edge, Are You Ready, Got You By The Balls, Shot Of Love and Goodbye And Good Riddance To Bad Luck are all good or better songs. Some are absolute crackers. Lyrically superior to BI, in that there is some sense in the lyrics. All the songs are finished.

And most importantly of all I don't get the feeling that it is constructed.

Over to you Carlos :)
    it definitely is, no doubt about it. Seriously, I don't understand how anyone could disagree, but I know they will.....
    your taking the piss now. its a good job I'm at work or my reply would be much longer and would put this ridiculous arrgument to bed once and for all. Later on tonight I will give my answer the attention it deserves
    Carlos - please don't phone me with an outspoken track-by-track critique of TRE....because you've already done that once before! If you want, I'll let you have Jem's number and you can phone him.......
    I was pissed wasn't I? Jem is on a wind up isn't he?
    you definitely were pissed - and it was an hilarious phone call as I recall

I think Jem is dead serious.....
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Feb 16th 2010 edited

I like EDGE better because it sounds "edgier" to me, I´ve always prefered AC/DC´s harder stuff, to be honest. Apart from that, the album sounds like good old AC/DC with a modern approach, like AC/DC for a new decade. It was a natural progression, imo. Later albums have that forced "back to basics" approach that is not working for me as it probably should.

All and all, I liked the direction AC/DC was heading to in the early 90s, Chris Slade gave them a kick in the ass and Big Gun is probably the last really ballsy AC/DC song.

Here´s a little something I wrote when I was stupid enough to care about having a blog: http://balltoucher.b...
    http://balltoucher.b...

That said, WHEEEEEEEEEEEELS is and always be a masterpiece.
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

Seriously Carlos....in terms of overall song quality I think TRE might be better than BI...

Agree with Slade's input...did add some leather. Although Skies On Fire has balls....
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BFET
    • Feb 16th 2010

BI wins. People would fuckin love this album sooo much more if we didnt have this setlist problem... TRE does kick ass tho. Slade is EPIC!
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

I'm not so sure. How many inspired tracks are there on BI...?

A handful maybe..?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SGDevil
    • Feb 16th 2010

I also prefer TRE.
    Black ice is a great album, with a lot of unfulfilled potential. Some songs could have been longer and structurally richer, a fast tempo song is sorely missing. However what annoys me the most is the lack of better and longer solos from Angus. Money made doesn't even have a solo.
    It seems that musically speaking they're taking a direction where "less" means always "better", and I just don't feel that way.
    Black Ice had the potential to be better than TRE but as it is, it's not.
    Not having a solo on Stormy May Day it´s criminal.

I´d like to make clear I like Black Ice a lot, tho. I appretiate the effort made to include some *variety*, and most of the songs sound "alive" if that makes any sense, unlike Stiff Upper Sleep which just sounds dead and boring to me. And Brian sounds great, you gotta give him that.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Feb 16th 2010

"The Razor's Edge might be better than BI..."

It might indeed.......................then again it might bloody well not be!!!!!!!!!

*draws deep breath and considers expanding arguement against statement, shakes head and mumbles "Leave it. They're not worth it". Slopes off for another pancake*
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

Hey!!! EVERYBODY!!!! Look up a few posts!!! SOMEBODY ELSE LOVES WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEELS!!!! I'm not alone! I'm not alone! Thank God Almighty!!!
    Wheels is great! One of the better songs on Black Ice.

Could have used a better beginning though.....
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

I love that little riff that opens it up...it's like starting down the slip road before you hit the motorway...........

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels
    I think Wheels might have the best chorus on BI..... trying to think of a better one.....
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

Holy Shit...it's a Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels love-in!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!!
    War Machine has the best chorus on BI.
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

I can only only assume you are jesting Crispy one :)
    nope, its the truth.

Mal and Cliff never sounded better...very simalar to Squealer.
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

Money Made is the best chorus on BI...

Pod- Whats with people? I like TRE as much as the next guy, but wheres all this praise for the lesser albums coming from all the sudden? First SUL, then FOTW, now TRE?

Defend TRE if you will because I'm on your side. I love the album! But cmon guys... better than BI its not.
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

Seriously BT...I think it might be...
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

Jem...

•  
    • Feb 16th 2010 edited

edit for next post...
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

While I appreciate the logical simplicity of your point of view I do feel that your engagement with this discourse is rather too limited to establish a winning argument...
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010 edited

•  
    • Feb 16th 2010

The choice is clear Black Ice all the way!
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

Ah....of course. It has all become clear :)
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2010

bFEt-High fuckin five mate. Those are quality. As for "whats with people?" This pic of one of them checking out the latest tour t-shirts, may help us to understand.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: BoogieMan
    • Feb 16th 2010

Jem's right. I'm just worried it took this long to figure out :P
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 56Century
    • Feb 16th 2010 edited

Black Ice is better purely because it features Phil
    Tre Razors Edge is about as edgy as a beach ball
    i think my way of thinking is now being accepted as the truth.
    BI=Dogs bollocks
    TRE= just bollocks
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2010

There's no way BI sounds more like AC/DC than TRE.
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2010

Carlos. Whoa up there big fella. BI tops TRE for me, but the mutts nuts? Its decent, overlong by 4/5 tracks, but decent none-the-less. Hardly deserving of the testicle inference though.

BoogieMan-when did AC/DC last really sound like AC/DC though? 20 years ago?
    ok in comparison to TRE then BI is the db's
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2010

AC/DC have always sounded like AC/DC. Different wrappers on the same sweetie.
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2010

BoogieMan-when did AC/DC last really sound like AC/DC though? 20 years ago?

Nah, just 10. :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Feb 17th 2010

Here's two sides to this:

1. The Razor's Edge is a spectacular album in terms of making you just want to get up and want to get laid and kick some ass. Slade is probably the most talented musician the band ever had, and I honestly feel he was under-used. Sure he's not Rudd, but it's still a killer album.

2. HOWEVER, I absolutely love Black Ice. Honestly, it's my favorite album since FOTW. It shows so much versatility from them, much more so than the past few albums. I give the edge (not the Razor's) to Black Ice, but that does not defeat The Razor's Edge as an enjoyable album to just jam out too.
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2010

I would like to point out (for the sake of antagonising some people, obviously) that there are 2 sides to a shoe also.

1) The shiney side you polish, that looks good and creates a good impression

2) The side that steps in all the shit!

;-)