[ Sign In | Register ]

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: edu
    • Dec 17th 2015

POWERAGE

Production: Harry Vanda & George Young

Contributing musicians: Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Bon Scott, Cliff Williams, Phil Rudd

Label: ATCO

Release Date:

May 5, 1978

Tracklist (Aus/US and all CD):

1 Rock And Roll Damnation
    2 Down Payment Blues
    3 Gimme A Bullet
    4 Riff Raff
    5 Sin City
    6 What's Next To The Moon
    7 Gone Shootin
    8 Up To My Neck In You
    9 Kicked In The Teeth

Tracklist (EU, diferent mix):

1 Rock And Roll Damnation
    2 Down Payment Blues
    3 Gimme A Bullet
    4 Riff Raff
    5 Sin City
    6 What's Next To The Moon
    7 Gone Shootin
    8 Up To My Neck In You
    9 Cold Hearted Man
    10 Kicked In The Teeth

What are your thoughts on this album?
    Powerage

One

Wicked

Electric

Raw

Asskicking

Gutsy

Event

In other words...the best album they ever created.
    • AC/DC rock music: FC
    • Dec 17th 2015

Whatchu talkin bout Willis? Either they changed the EU tracklisting for a third time or you got it wrong.

It used to be

(added later - Damnation - edited)
    Gimme A Bullet
    Down Payment Blues
    Gone Shootin
    Riff Raff
    Sin City
    Up To My Neck In You
    What's Next To The Moon
    Cold Hearted Man
    Kicked In The Teeth

The first AC/DC album I've heard, and not the one I have more copies of cos of edits and mixes - I worn out two records and a CD of it. The name of the album says it all. Can't talk objectively about the album you heard at least three times the amount you heard the others. Mal and Keith Richards say this is their fave album from AC/DC. Mine too.
    I have an original german copy with 10 tracks. So he isnt wrong but at the same time the og UK was 9 tracks without rnrd and had cold hearted man.
    What? No Canadian cassette track listing? Sin City was the 1st song on my copy.
    • AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Dec 17th 2015

I can never decide ....
    Is it their signature album for .... vocals? Riffs? Lyrics? Solos ? Production? Guitar Tone?
    The answer may be all of the above.
    Posted By: Mike206I can never decide ....
    Is it their signature album for .... vocals? Riffs? Lyrics? Solos ? Production? Guitar Tone?

Definitely lyrics imo. Not vocals. Any of the Mutt Lange produced albums are superior for vocals.
    • AC/DC rock music: FC
    • Dec 17th 2015

Well this the German i have.

I remember, that was a time when i used to crash 3 needles a month, true. I had a DUAL record player that time. my first amp, a peavy 30W and a SG Rebuild by ARIA i think. Playing all songs from start to beginning and reverse. 15 times a day. copied all solos and started to play riffraff out of my window open teenie room vol 8 of 10 with full of DC Posters and cutted Album Covers. After that, I got my first Angus suit.
    •  
    • Dec 17th 2015

My godness..... I will include EVERY SINGLE TRACKLIST if you really want me to, but later. I just put the ones I consider seen more often.
    Super album. Definitely put them on the map. The foundation for the success that they have had.
    Posted By: eduMy godness..... I will include EVERY SINGLE TRACKLIST if you really want me to, but later. I just put the ones I consider seen more often.

Haha I was just kidding mate.
    The band at their absolute peak.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Stiff
    • Dec 17th 2015

everything. but especially lyrics.. and the overall flow of the album.
    a bit hard to say about guitar tone though.
    • AC/DC rock music: Meltdown
    • Dec 17th 2015

Their definitive album for me, it's what they were trying to do since the beginning. Mutt Lange did a great job on HTH and BIB, but I feel that PA has more of the true AC/DC sound: raw and electrifying, not polished.
    •  
    • Dec 17th 2015

Posted By: mutt_langes_perm

Definitely lyrics imo. Not vocals. Any of the Mutt Lange produced albums are superior for vocals.

I think that Bon vocally was much better on all albums than on HTH with Mutt..
    • AC/DC rock music: Meltdown
    • Dec 17th 2015

Well, Bon vocals aren't powerful like on HTH, but he did great. GAB, GS, UTMNIY, he really improved that songs with his voice. And the lyrics are my favorites also.
    Posted By: Stiff

Really? I find Bon's best vocals were definitely on the Mutt produced HTH. I guess I'm just more of a fan of the hard rock style vocals than the talking type vocals found on earlier albums.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Dec 17th 2015 edited

Remember hearing this for the first time in the record store back in '86 or so. I immediately fell in love with RnR Damnation. Still in love with it. On the gallop of Riff Raff my face was glowing from excitement. It's got a little warmer tone than LTBR and especailly Malcolm sounds fuller. Drumsound is topnotch. Bon has his best lyrical effort. Very good consistent album; 9/10
    Never really liked Sin City though (Live it's much better)
    •  
    • Dec 17th 2015

Really? I find Bon's best vocals were definitely on the Mutt produced HTH. I guess I'm just more of a fan of the hard rock style vocals than the talking type vocals found on earlier albums.

well, It's not that I don't like hard rock vocal styles better, which I actually do. basically like BJ's (which for me is the best), especially where goes off, but I've always felt that Bon's voice was suited (and sounded better) for more "talking type" or gentler singing. like on Problem Child.. for me it has one of his best vocal performances. especially where he sings "Im hot and when Im not Im cold as Ice" and "Make my stand, no man's land, on my own.., Man in blue, it's up to you" -amazing.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Dec 17th 2015

The greatest rock and roll record ever made.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rosie78
    • Dec 17th 2015 edited

The second best after LTBR, I'm not a big fan of the production, sounds way to unpolished, it worked wonders on LTBR, but it had a warmer
    sound than this one though. Apart from that, riffs, lyrics and songwriting are top notch. A shame it never caught on more with the public.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Dec 17th 2015

How long you got?

In one word, faultless.
    • AC/DC rock music: snake77
    • Dec 17th 2015

I used to skip this one when I was real young. When I finally got used to it became a favorite and it has been for the last 20-25 years.

Amazing album.
    •  
    • Dec 17th 2015

Posted By: snake77I used to skip this one when I was real young. When I finally got used to it became a favorite and it has been for the last 20-25 years.

Amazing album.

lel, actually when I started listening to ACDC, I had all the albums in my phone and I skipped Powerage just because the album art wasn't appealing to me.. what a mistake that was. I remember when I gave it a first listen I liked it, I listened to it more and I was like.. damn.
    Second favorite album. Bless Bon and the Youngs for this one.
    The first LP I acquired of the band. Prior to that I had listened to the Let's Get It Up/Back In Black (live) single.

It was an Italian pressing of Powerage my mum bought me while we were on vacation in Firenze, Italy. The LP doesn't have Cold Hearted Man.

I was new to the band and just 12 years old, so I didn't even know who Bon Scott was. Once I thought Bon Scott was the same guy as Brian Johnson, using different names...

One of their four best albums, together with LTBR, HTH and BIB. At the moment I rate LTBR higher than Powerage.
    Posted By: snake77I used to skip this one when I was real young. When I finally got used to it became a favorite and it has been for the last 20-25 years.

Amazing album.

lel, actually when I started listening to ACDC, I had all the albums in my phone and I skipped Powerage just because the album art wasn't appealing to me..

Haha, typically Latvian habit. Particularly inhabitants of Jurmala are known to think like that.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: MalGal
    • Dec 17th 2015

Powerage: the album, for me, is non stop rock n roll. Every song has its own groove. None of the songs are what you all call "fillers". Its all killers! It is an album you can hear again and again. Powerage showed everyone what the band can really do. Very adeptly named. My "go to" album for non believers. I changed many people's opinion about AC/DC with this. Think you know AC/DC? Well have a listen to Powerage! Gets them every Time.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocker
    • Dec 17th 2015

Do you pronounce this as " Power Idge" ???
    Or " Power Age"???

Let the transatlantic battle of pronunciation commence :)
    •  
    • Dec 17th 2015

Posted By: RockerDo you pronounce this as " Power Idge" ???
    Or " Power Age"???

In Spain it's said: "pogueraje"

I say: "pawraich"
    • AC/DC rock music: shocker
    • Dec 17th 2015

Riff Raff is IMO the best song ever. But I prefer the live version.
    Or " Power Age"???

Bon, Angus and Malcolm have confirmed that it's "Power Age". That should be all the proof anyone needs.
    •  
    • Dec 17th 2015

Posted By: Meanstreak

Amazing album.

lel, actually when I started listening to ACDC, I had all the albums in my phone and I skipped Powerage just because the album art wasn't appealing to me..

Haha, typically Latvian habit. Particularly inhabitants of Jurmala are known to think like that.

Sir Meanstreak, I need to inform you that Mr. Stiff does not reside in Jurmala, though.
    •  
    • Dec 17th 2015 edited

Or " Power Age"???

I always pronounced it -power idge, now trying to change that habit and pronounce it as "age".
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Dec 17th 2015

A great follow up to the monster that is LTBR and their 3rd best overall. More reserved than the all out assault of LTBR. I would kill to have seen Riff Raff played live at this time.
    Posted By: ShootToThrill
    Or " Power Age"???

Bon, Angus and Malcolm have confirmed that it's "Power Age". That should be all the proof anyone needs.

Bon has called it "Power-idge" at concerts - Veterans Memorial being one of them.
    Posted By: SpellboundBon has called it "Power-idge" at concerts - Veterans Memorial being one of them.

Do you mean right before Gone Shootin? He says Power Age.

Sounds like Powerige to me... As well as when he says it before Sin City here:

• AC/DC rock music: snake77
    • Dec 17th 2015

Posted By: ShootToThrillBon, Angus and Malcolm have confirmed that it's "Power Age". That should be all the proof anyone needs.

Thanks. I've only ever seen this album talked about in print either that or I can't remember how the guys pronounced while going over the albums on the AC/DC Live DVD.

From a young age I always pronounced in Power Rage due to what my mates told me. One of those things when you get taught wrong it sticks.

It wasn't until years later I was looking at the cover that Power Rage doesn't make sense. Still hard to shake though.