To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

I'm looking to get some more books on the band - I've only read one book on them and I want to change that.

The one I've read is Maximum Rock n Roll. I also have Why AC/DC Matters and Brian's autobiography, but I haven't read those yet.

I want to buy a few at once, so fire away...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Dec 9th 2014 edited

Just kidding. Haven't read any book on AC/DC. Their music seems more important and still more interesting than their story.
    True, but I've pretty much ruined all the music by now... ;-)
    Mark Evans book trumps them all because he was there - it's first hand and you're in the eye of the storm - i literally read it one breathless sitting. So many great moments - their arrival in London, playing the pub circuit and various run-ins with the punk crowd ruling the roost at that time...great portraits of the Youngs & Bon...and the scene where Evans is sacked and its aftermath is pretty devastating. Clinton Walker's book on Bon Scott is really interesting, too - his thesis (if you buy into it) is there was a whole side to Bon's musical tastes that didn't find an outlet in AC/DC (he loved the Pretenders, Joan Armatrading etc) he was still very much more the Fraternity hippie than his denim-clad rocker image implied - not that that was false but it was far from all of him. Michael Browning's book is OK,...he comes over as likeable enough if a little naive - you can't help but feel for him when he gets fired right before they properly crack America... and the Jesse Fink book is just weird - he focused on specific songs (all from the 75-80 period) and sitches a semi narrative around them. Ultimately it's neither fish nor fowl - he's not a good enough writer to pull off what Greil Marcus did for Van Morrison's Astral Weeks or Revolution In The Head did for the Beatles... it just reads like an extended fan letter and then just gets into a mind-numbing amount of detail about who exactly was responsible for getting Lange on board in 79....
    Thanks guys - I've ordered the Mark Evans, Clinton Walker, Mick Wall, and Michael Browning books.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Dec 9th 2014

Yes, I liked the Mark Evans book too . It's the best one I've read. The other books I've read seem to cover the exact same things with several unfounded quotes from people who met the band back in the day .

Cheers
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Dec 9th 2014 edited

Posted By: Alex LebanonClinton Walker's book on Bon Scott is really interesting, too - his thesis (if you buy into it) is there was a whole side to Bon's musical tastes that didn't find an outlet in AC/DC (he loved the Pretenders, Joan Armatrading etc) he was still very much more the Fraternity hippie than his denim-clad rocker image implied - not that that was false but it was far from all of him.

Bon was complicated. He seemed to have a sort of hippie-dippie romantic side to him but could, on the other hand, throw down if needed. I think Ozzy Osbourne described Bon as the best street fighter he'd ever seen. As far as expression of musical taste goes, that's true of most any band. It's very rare band members only like the kind of music they play.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Starsky
    • Mar 1st 2019

I saw Mick Wall's 'Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be' on sale at a nearby supermarket and now decided to pick up one or two AC/DC books.

What do you folks think now, what are the most read-worthy ones? Is that Mick Wall book any good?
    If you want more inside knowledge of Bon Scott, you can’t go past -

My Bon Scott by Irene Thornton
    Live wire Bon Scott - Mary renshaw, John d’arcy, gabby d’arcy

Great reads
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Mar 1st 2019

For me Maximum RNR is by far the best.
    Posted By: RoccoFor me Maximum RNR is by far the best.

I'm fond of that book too - I must have read it 4-5 times - but it's 100 % uncritical of the band or their music and I think that does make it quite limited at the end of the day. It's sort of like a massive Wiki post.
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: RoccoFor me Maximum RNR is by far the best.

I'm fond of that book too - I must have read it 4-5 times - but it's 100 uncritical of the band or their music and I think that does make it quite limited at the end of the day. It's sort of like a massive Wiki post.

For facts and occasional anecdotes on the band, especially the early years, Maximum R&R is unbeatable. Wiki post observation is spot on. Not the best written book. Runs out of steam in the Brian years. But otherwise the closest thing to the bible on the band.

Mark Evans' book is right up there. Found Irene Thornton's book on Bon quite good (not all AC/DC, but you really get the feeling from it that AC/DC was a godsend for Bon since he was pretty much out of chances by then - It's a Long Way). Read Walker's book about 25 years ago so I can't remember much of it.
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Mar 2nd 2019

I've got 31 books so far but the first decent one I read was Mark Putterford's Shock To The System
    Maximum Rock M Roll is well worth getting
    Mark Evans' book is a must
    The 2 French books... Tours De France are great but written in French
    The 3 Robert Ellis books are a superb photographic history of 1979 to 1982
    Posted By: GoulashI've got 31 books so far but the first decent one I read was Mark Putterford's Shock To The System
    Maximum Rock M Roll is well worth getting
    Mark Evans' book is a must
    The 2 French books... Tours De France are great but written in French
    The 3 Robert Ellis books are a superb photographic history of 1979 to 1982

Isn't the French book the only one where band members were interviewed for a book?
    Maximum Rock n Roll is the go-to book for me. Marks book was brilliant, as are Mary Renshaws and Irene’s. Special mention to Clinton Walkers effort, too.
    I like the books 'Maximum Rock n Roll' by Murray Engleheart and 'Highway to Hell: The Life & Times of AC/DC Legend Bon Scott' by Clinton Walker. I thought Clinton Walker did a really good job.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Mar 3rd 2019

Maximum R&R has the broadest scope with relatively the best information.

Also enjoyed Hell Ain't No Bad Place To Be by Mick Wall. Great inside view from Ian Jeffery.

The other HAABPTB from Richard Bunton was my first book and i read it in one afternoon. Pretty nice but also some very odd wrong photos and mistitled songs.

Liked Jesse Finks book on Bon because it gave some extea unknown info about Bon in the late seventies.

Some other books (Kerrang files) that are mainly based on the common history facts.
    I have read:

The AC/DC Story
    by Paul Ezra

Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be
    by Richard Bunton

Shock To The System
    by Mark Putterford

Highway To Hell
    by Clinton Walker

Maximum Rock & Roll
    by Murray Engleheart with Arnaud Durieux

Hell Ain’t A Bad Place To Be
    by Mick Wall

The Youngs: The Brothers Who Built AC/DC
    by Jesse Fink

Love At First Feel
    by Anders Hedman and Mats Larsson

All were good in their own way.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Mar 3rd 2019 edited

Always found this one fascinating

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Mar 3rd 2019

Clinton Walker's was the first AC/DC book I read and has remained my "favourite".
    • AC/DC rock music: Limaguitar
    • Mar 4th 2019 edited

Has any book been updated fully up to the Axl or Bust tour?
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Mar 4th 2019

Mark Evans for sure.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Mar 4th 2019

the list of bootleg albums in the Richard Bunton book was my starting point for being an obsessive fan!
    • AC/DC rock music: MGP
    • Mar 4th 2019

Actually, Jesse Finks 2 books on ACDC are must reads. Warts and all. Do not leave them out.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: FreoBoy
    • Mar 4th 2019

Shock to the system , By Mark Putterford is one that i really enjoyed. Along with Maximum Rock n Roll.
    If you're a calendar picker Jeff Apter's new book about the Bon years is great, even though it contains some errors as they all do. Mick Wall's book is very underrated. It's much better than Fink's works if you want to know more about what went on behind the scenes. Fink's book about Bon is however worth a mention, if you really want to read page after page with recalls about all the drugs Bon took, and speculations about his death. Lots of new info though, but Fink's "the band stole Bon's lyrics and used them for BiB" conspiracy theories are plain stupid and annoying.
    Posted By: MGPActually, Jesse Finks 2 books on ACDC are must reads. Warts and all. Do not leave them out.

I liked the first one a great deal.
    I was excited to read the second one but it was an endless screed of largely unsubstantiated garbage that should never have been published.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Mar 5th 2019

yeah god bless mark gable, but if I wanted to know anything about the choirboys, I'd ask him, but as for his "insider" knowledge about AC/DC it would be tenuous as best
    The Last Highway doesn't make sense. Fink just makes a bunch of unsupported claims and proceeds to find "evidence" that either has nothing to do with what he's trying to say or actually goes against his argument. And he believes everything Silver said just because she seemed nice to him. Even when everyone else he interviewed said the opposite. Then towards the end he keeps pushing his theory that Bon died of a heroin overdose, which is, for one, disrespectful to Bon's memory, and two, false. Also, he really seems to have it out for the Youngs. And I remember him trying to say that Angus cheated on his wife in the 70's, but I thought he didn't meet her until '79 and they weren't married until '80.
    There are some interesting interviews, but Fink's commentary is just so obnoxious. But I think you get my point.
    • AC/DC rock music: MGP
    • Mar 12th 2019

I wish you blokes would give Jesse Finks work more credance. He turned up a lot of stuff we did not know.
    I avoid anything written by Jesse Fink
    Posted By: MGPI wish you blokes would give Jesse Finks work more credance. He turned up a lot of stuff we did not know.

I would give him more creedance if he wasn’t such a miserable shit starting prick.