[ Sign In | Register ]

I got mine fixed :) I suppose that you are one of a very few who did not.
    Well, my unit actually did have to go in for repair. It arrived with a broken pot, and no one locally wanted to mess with it, so I sent it back to Franz for a new one.

Of course, I made it completely clear I didn't want the resistor thing fixed! Wanted to keep it completely as is. :) I imagine there's no more than 10-15 units with the error in tact since there was quite a few out of the original 25 who opted to have it tended to.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Aug 4th 2015 edited

This is my current object for strumming (rhythm guitar track on below tune - recorded before I threw some thicker strings on her; now she's a Real Guitar!):

•  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Aug 4th 2015

the TSR still sucks, btw.
    Good ol' Marcinha... :D

Nothing wrong about your opinion. "Some like it hot and some like it not so hot."
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Aug 4th 2015

Posted By: marcinhathe TSR still sucks, btw.

LOL, luckily you found an idiot who bought it off you. ;-)
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2015

cheers guys ;)
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2015

Posted By: RoccoLOL, luckily you found an idiot who bought it off you. ;-)

look at bright side, you've joined the little army of other... eehm... ... ;p
    • Aug 4th 2015

Posted By: marcinha
    Posted By: RoccoLOL, luckily you found an idiot who bought it off you. ;-)

look at bright side, you've joined the little army of other... eehm... ... ;p

You left a hole that someone had to fill. ;-)
    •  
    • Aug 4th 2015

words of a wiseman :)
    • Aug 4th 2015

Posted By: marcinhawords of a wiseman :)

What else can a man do than fill some holes ;-)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: MalGal
    • Aug 4th 2015

Must be that residue from the Blue moon last month.
    • AC/DC rock music: Gilly
    • Aug 6th 2015

Just picked up my new SG, made a quick video of some riffs. Guitar still needs a setup as action is too low and buzzing but the pickups sound great. Playing is unrehearsed and rusty, I might make a few more polished videos in the future:

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Backfire
    • Aug 19th 2015

There's a 1990 Gretsch 6121 Roundup for sale and it's a good price. Apparently, it has TV Jones upgrades and looks to be in good condition. Will I get close to Mals tone with this guitar? Anyone had any experience with a Gretsch Roundup?
    Can't say I have i'm afraid but you could get in the ballpark with almost any gretsch bearing Filters! :)

I was thinking the other day about my guitar and the fact it has a zero fret, does anybody else have experience with how a zero fret can improve the tone of a guitar? Especially for the Mal stuff, certainly gives the open strings a bit more balls!
    •  
    • Aug 19th 2015

Decided not to go for it in the end. Going to wait for a MY Signature or a Double Cut Jet to come up for sale.
    Best to buy what you really want, you'll end up getting it anyway! :)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Aug 20th 2015 edited

Malcolm used a roundup, if that answers your question.

•  
    • Sep 9th 2015

I'm still looking for a Gretsch Malcolm Young Signature or a replica of Mals Jet. Anyone have one they want to sell?
    Spelbound, what do you think about this? :D

"The SoloDallas signature amplifier is the byproduct of tireless research into four variations of the JTM50. This model consists of a transitional circuit from JTM45 to JTM50 (which does not include the GZ34 rectifier found in later JTM50 variants), custom transformers, hand wired components including NOS Mustard capacitors, and EL34 tubes.
    Currently only two remaining with a special launch price of 2900 USD.
    Order now at sd@solodallas.com"
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Johnnysg
    • Oct 3rd 2015

Seen that this morning, cant wait to hear some demos!!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Oct 4th 2015

Seems like a bit of a money making scheme to me if I'm honest. I used to quite like going on solodallas' website and checking out his guitar covers in the past, but some of the comments that he's made on his videos when he replies to criticism and certain things in video interviews have kind of made me go off him. Maybe it's just me I don't know. His products tend to appeal to quite a particular market as well, and the price tags of these things sometimes are laughable to me. I guess he has to recoup the money he's spent in developing his products, but come on, 2900 dollars?

I hope if the guy sees this he doesn't take offence, he's obviously a great guitarist and puts a lot of time and effort into his work.
    @benji:

We had a similar discussion with Spellbound about it on the previous page.

As I mentioned before, that seems to happen when businessmen realize the potential of your product and they want to join in and get their piece of the $$$ cake. They are going to milk it, because businessmen are profit driven people. They will invest and they want their share of the profit.

I think that Fil originally did not do it for the profit only. But when your business is joined by people who do care about profit and not about product itself (might as well be a new revolutionary brooms for them), it will change the whole thing. On one hand it is great that the whole portfolio of products with SoloDallas tag on them will be there (pedal & tower guitar effect, guitar amp, there are Powerage pickups, there was an Angus' Rocker SG axe - and I think there will be a new one in the future...), on the other hand not all/many will be able to purchase these products. Of course, these are not your typical mass consumer goods for average Joes. These are aimed to fill a market niche. And (hopefully) these products are designed to last, so the higher price tag should go hand in hand with higher quality (plus then again, there must be a profit for the investors too).

So there you have it. That is my point of view on the whole thing. SoloDallas.com community blasted off a monster :D
    I think Fil is the man, but his new design on the site is so damn scatter brained, I dislike it.

I miss the simplicity. I have a hard time finding what I wanna find there. Don't visit nearly as much now.I saw that in my feed and thought, "I need to go check it out and read the details on his site,it's been a while!"

Well fuck me I went and couldn't find a damn thing, don't know if it's there or not but I'd never know if it was.
    Yeah, I have the similar problem. That new design is aimed for mobile devices, but orientation is not easy. I miss the "latest posts/articles" list within one click. You have to go via menu to articles section and then on the right hand panel the small list appears. On the old page it was not ideal, but a bit better. It is more hidden now.

And I looked for it, too. It is not there yet. I think that the link will be shared on fb too.
    • AC/DC rock music: Sellen
    • Oct 4th 2015 edited

Did't find it to, and yes the solodallas site was more fun in the past

2900$ is much!!

For 2400$ i have over 3 years gotten on the uesd marked

Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue combo(1000$)
    Marshall 1987x (700$)
    Marshall jmp 2204 (700$)

As my playing currently is getting better, i love these amps more and more

But i know myself, if those Solodallas amps get's good reviews i will get a GAS
    And GAS can leads to ......

The Marshall 2245HW is about 3000$ new where i live

So with tax the solodallas will be around 900$ more than A new Marshall 2245HW

Anyway let's hope Mr Dallas give us some more AC-DC covers with the new amp
    Posted By: benjiSeems like a bit of a money making scheme to me if I'm honest. I used to quite like going on solodallas' website and checking out his guitar covers in the past, but some of the comments that he's made on his videos when he replies to criticism and certain things in video interviews have kind of made me go off him. Maybe it's just me I don't know. His products tend to appeal to quite a particular market as well, and the price tags of these things sometimes are laughable to me. I guess he has to recoup the money he's spent in developing his products, but come on, 2900 dollars?

I hope if the guy sees this he doesn't take offence, he's obviously a great guitarist and puts a lot of time and effort into his work.

What criticisms was he responding to and what did he say?

Posted By: currentpeak@benji:

We had a similar discussion with Spellbound about it on the previous page.

As I mentioned before, that seems to happen when businessmen realize the potential of your product and they want to join in and get their piece of the $$$ cake. They are going to milk it, because businessmen are profit driven people. They will invest and they want their share of the profit.

I think that Fil originally did not do it for the profit only. But when your business is joined by people who do care about profit and not about product itself (might as well be a new revolutionary brooms for them), it will change the whole thing. On one hand it is great that the whole portfolio of products with SoloDallas tag on them will be there (pedal & tower guitar effect, guitar amp, there are Powerage pickups, there was an Angus' Rocker SG axe - and I think there will be a new one in the future...), on the other hand not all/many will be able to purchase these products. Of course, these are not your typical mass consumer goods for average Joes. These are aimed to fill a market niche. And (hopefully) these products are designed to last, so the higher price tag should go hand in hand with higher quality (plus then again, there must be a profit for the investors too).

So there you have it. That is my point of view on the whole thing. SoloDallas.com community blasted off a monster :D

Fil's a smart guy. I don't think he'd let businessmen milk his fanbase all that much.

With this said, the new amp seems cool. No different than any other boutique amp - Metro amps run for about the same price, as does Wizards. Would I buy it? Maybe. Not anytime soon if I plan on Europe next year but who knows. The only problem I have ever had with Fil is lying about a couple things with TSR. Besides that, I'd love to see what other gear he ends up putting out. The guy sure as shit deserves it after all these years, right?

Anyways - I really want to hear some demos with this. Fil's a stickler for tone, so I think this will be a really good product.
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2015

I honestly can't remember, Spellbound. I think it was possibly on one of his YouTube videos where he was being interviewed about a new product, and someone had criticised him in some way, and he got all defensive and borderline abusive.
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2015

This was in the YouTube comments by the way, not in the actual video itself.
    Posted By: benjiI honestly can't remember, Spellbound. I think it was possibly on one of his YouTube videos where he was being interviewed about a new product, and someone had criticised him in some way, and he got all defensive and borderline abusive.

Kinda surprised, kind of not at the same time.

Either way, I stand by Fil making products, but I'd probably just buy them second hand instead of directly from him.
    @Spellbound:

I didn't say that Fil is milking the community. By milking I was implying that if there is any chance to expand the portfolio of SoloDallas products, investors will jump at it. And SoloDallas name outgrew that community :)

So it is great that there seems to be a whole lot of new stuff, but of course there is a price to pay.

P.S. I would not be surprised, if that amp was a joint venture with Metropoulos (or even Wizard) Amplification.

P.P.S. If that amp had a TSR as a part of a circuit, that price would be a terrific one.
    Absolutely.

You ever see that guy who put one of the original Gold Tags in the back of a YJM head? Pretty crazy shit.
    You know, it does make me wonder if he worked with Metro to put these out, or even Aracom (doubt Rick would be able to help since he's been working with AC/DC for the past year).
    Posted By: SellenDid't find it to, and yes the solodallas site was more fun in the past

2900$ is much!!

For 2400$ i have over 3 years gotten on the uesd marked

Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue combo(1000$)
    Marshall 1987x (700$)
    Marshall jmp 2204 (700$)

As my playing currently is getting better, i love these amps more and more

But i know myself, if those Solodallas amps get's good reviews i will get a GAS
    And GAS can leads to ......

The Marshall 2245HW is about 3000$ new where i live

So with tax the solodallas will be around 900$ more than A new Marshall 2245HW

Anyway let's hope Mr Dallas give us some more AC-DC covers with the new amp

To be fair, a lot of new Marshalls are supposedly junk bar the artists heads (1992LEM, Slash's amp, YJM). The Astoria amps seem to sound really nice, even though the price is fucking bonkers.
    Posted By: SpellboundAbsolutely.

You ever see that guy who put one of the original Gold Tags in the back of a YJM head? Pretty crazy shit.

Yeah, I think I saw the post.

Posted By: SpellboundYou know, it does make me wonder if he worked with Metro to put these out, or even Aracom (doubt Rick would be able to help since he's been working with AC/DC for the past year).

True, but not totally impossible. It might even be Friedman Amplification as they reside in CA. We shall see.
    Posted By: nitroangus23I think Fil is the man, but his new design on the site is so damn scatter brained, I dislike it.

I miss the simplicity. I have a hard time finding what I wanna find there. Don't visit nearly as much now.I saw that in my feed and thought, "I need to go check it out and read the details on his site,it's been a while!"

Well fuck me I went and couldn't find a damn thing, don't know if it's there or not but I'd never know if it was.

I too have been a vocal and Critical of the solodallas website for well over a year now.I even sent an open letter to Fil on the SD website asking what was happening but never got a response.Things went really quiet not long after he did the story of meeting Angus in Vancouver.He relocated to California from Italy, then absolutely nothing, not even on FB or Twitter.He relaunched the SD website earlier this year, I wrote saying welcome Back Fil,which I feel now has been and is a total disappointment, all bells and no whistles.No input from Fil only a small welcome back letter,literally only publicity for the TSR from various magazine articles.I agree, the new look site is waay user UNfriendly,no new vids from Fil at all.
    If I didn't see the pics for these amps I for one would not have known about them.Why the hell he has chosen to do yet another a copy of a JTM45 in an already crowded marketplace, and not(if you are going to put out your own amp with the AC/DC crunch ) a version of the 77/78 JMP 2203 is beyond me.He also stated at some point he was going to put out his own attenuator,I guess based on the Aracom's,we shall see( I think I will stick with the Aracom's thanks all the same ).
    So Fil,
    If you happen to be reading this, please get back to doing the exciting things that got you a huge fan base in the 1st place. Stop dropping stupid hints and riddles about "secret things''that never materialize,for Eg, remember you said you were going to do a pay by the month subscription for SD members,with new 2 camera instructional vids etc.(never happened.) Be a hell of a lot more pro active in your own website, do some new vids that let people know you really are still around, otherwise people(fan base) will keep losing interest faster than they are now.I know a lot of SD members and this forum members(That I have spoken to privately) feel the same way.It would be a total shame if everything you have done and have achieved goes to nothing, because of your perceived lack of input and indifference to your own website since March 2014.I get it you are busy,but so is everyone else.
    Moving your whole family to other continent is one thing. Being busy with the business another.

In Fil's defence I must say, that there was a lot of job that had to be done on the website, because the old one was hacked at one point. So I was told.

Of course, I also would like him to be active on the website again. Hopefully he will come back to it in the near future (with the "new" effect and amp in tow).
    I miss the covers, love hearing him play.His tutorial videos ruled as well, but there hasn't been one in years.

I realize he's very busy,and he has to make money, I just wish he was more active i.e. posting more content.His write ups/ quest for tone adventures, as silly as some see it, were very informative and entertaining.

Hope he returns to that soon. I have almost stopped checking for new content lol.Been following the dude since his original youtube channel.

Glad he did not go the paid account thing though, better as is (besides the cluttered website.)
    • AC/DC rock music: GShootin
    • Oct 5th 2015

I'll NEVER understand how someone that has obvious talent like this bloke Fil just wants to waste it playing other peoples music and copying their sound instead of making his own. Just makes no sense to me at all

Ditto tribute bands. Lazy fuckers
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2015

Posted By: GShootinI'll NEVER understand how someone that has obvious talent like this bloke Fil just wants to waste it playing other peoples music and copying their sound instead of making his own. Just makes no sense to me at all

Why don't you just let people do what they enjoy doing eh?
    • AC/DC rock music: GShootin
    • Oct 5th 2015

Posted By: benji
    Posted By: GShootinI'll NEVER understand how someone that has obvious talent like this bloke Fil just wants to waste it playing other peoples music and copying their sound instead of making his own. Just makes no sense to me at all

Why don't you just let people do what they enjoy doing eh?

How am i stopping him ???

It's just that lazy people with no ideas of their own are making money off the back of other peoples talent makes me sad

No different to bootleggers making money out of the band is it
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2015 edited

Posted By: currentpeakIn Fil's defence I must say, that there was a lot of job that had to be done on the website, because the old one was hacked at one point. So I was told.

Are you serious? Did Fil tell you this?
    Posted By: SpellboundAre you serious? Did Fil tell you this?

Let's say I have it on good authority.
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2015 edited

Posted By: currentpeak
    Posted By: SpellboundAre you serious? Did Fil tell you this?

Let's say I have it on good authority.

Could you also say passwords were at risk? I remember Google freaking the fuck out over a malicious warning some time ago with the site.
    Dunno anything more than what I wrote. But I suppose that most password databases are hashed and pretty secure by default nowadays.

If he lacks the creative bug then he is effed in his own rite.
    • Oct 5th 2015

The captain at Marshall Hq testing the new astoria amps
    Man, those Astoria's look and sound killer... But it seems like a vintage Marshall is the way to go in terms of pricing.
    • Oct 6th 2015

Posted By: SpellboundMan, those Astoria's look and sound killer... But it seems like a vintage Marshall is the way to go in terms of pricing.

yea they sound and look good, but for now it's just to much $
    Re: SoloDallas amp - I have just read yesterday, that only limited number of those is being made and they are almost sold out.