To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: Gilly
    • Jul 25th 2015

Nice, I just ordered the Heritage Cherry for about £600 which is an unbelievable steal. I prefer the Aged cherry but couldn't ignore that price.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Backfire
    • Jul 26th 2015

Got a Les Paul copy and a Korean Epiphone 'Custom Shop' SG with a Vibrola tailpiece. Also installed Gibson Classic 57's, new pots, wiring and a new nut. Great guitar, now I'm saving up for a Malcolm Young Signature Gretsch.
    Posted By: BackfireGot a Les Paul copy and a Korean Epiphone 'Custom Shop' SG with a Vibrola tailpiece. Also installed Gibson Classic 57's, new pots, wiring and a new nut. Great guitar, now I'm saving up for a Malcolm Young Signature Gretsch.

Good luck! I hear they're quite rare!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Jul 27th 2015 edited

Posted By: FilterGrit
    Posted By: BackfireGot a Les Paul copy and a Korean Epiphone 'Custom Shop' SG with a Vibrola tailpiece. Also installed Gibson Classic 57's, new pots, wiring and a new nut. Great guitar, now I'm saving up for a Malcolm Young Signature Gretsch.

Good luck! I hear they're quite rare!

It's stupid how uncommon they are. They were in production for well over 10 years, and now you only seen them around the bay a couple times a month.

Good luck though, Backfire. I heard they're really killer!
    Which model would you go for Backfire? I or II? I rather like the single pickup variant myself \m/
    •  
    • Jul 27th 2015

Yeah, they are stupidly uncommon, and when they do come up for sale, people ask too much for them. I did have the chance to play one and it felt great, better than any Electromatic or in fact, any Gibson I've played.

I do like the 2 pickup version myself. There was recently one for sale but the seller's price was too high, it did sell recently though. I've seen a single pickup go for £800. They are more common so I'll have to go for one of those. I plan to install a Burns Tailpiece and a pickguard between the pickup and the neck so it is styled after Mal's Jet at around 1977.

Like this picture, except with the plain top:

•  
    • Jul 27th 2015 edited

Gretsch's electromatic Jets are 100% certified shit guitars.

I would never buy a MYII because they didn't bother to get any of the knobs/switches in the right place besides the master volume, they used a bridge model that Mal only had for 2 years, and that they didn't have a switch near the volume/tone controls. What's the point in releasing a signature model when it isn't even era correct, let alone any similar to the artist's actual guitar? The single pickup one seems to be a better option - better price too.

Also, like this?

Something to keep in mind - Mal was using one of those Harmonica bridges mounted on the wood base at the time before he switched to the Leo Quan.
    •  
    • Jul 27th 2015

Yeah, that's the one. If I like the guitar how it is, I might just install a bishops helmet and leave it. The only reason I considered a MYII was because of taking the neck pickup out but I don't like where the switches are.

Really like the double-cut Penguins aswell.
    Posted By: BackfireYeah, that's the one. If I like the guitar how it is, I might just install a bishops helmet and leave it. The only reason I considered a MYII was because of taking the neck pickup out but I don't like where the switches are.

Really like the double-cut Penguins aswell.

Didn't mean to give you the OCD... :)

The Double Cut Penguins are cool as fuck. Wish Burns would work with Gretsch again... Love how the originals look.
    •  
    • Jul 27th 2015

Have you played a MY Gretsch Spellbound? The one I played was great, even if it did need a setup.

The Falcons are great too. The Red Falcon with a Cadillac Tailpiece is a beast.
    Only Jets I've ever been able to get my hands on were the Electromatics. Hated them. I do want to pick up a few, Chet Atkins Round Up, the blue Sparkle jet, and a couple Double Cutaway ones. Closest thing to them that I played is a Super Axe from the 70s - neat little (not really, the body is rediculously large) guitar.

I did play a Falcon though - the new center block ones. Absolute fucking treat to play and I about threw myself off a building because of not having the cash to buy it then and there.
    •  
    • Jul 27th 2015

I've played a couple of Electromatic Jets. Always though they were over rated, the Korean Center block Jet I played was awful but some people love them. May as well save up for a Japanese Gretsch.

Haven't played many Gretsch guitars but did manage to play a Sparkle Jet - fantastic guitar. Would really like to play a double cut Penguin. The Terada factory in Japan do a great job and certainly have better quality control than Gibson.
    •  
    • Jul 27th 2015 edited

Posted By: BackfireI've played a couple of Electromatic Jets. Always though they were over rated, the Korean Center block Jet I played was awful but some people love them. May as well save up for a Japanese Gretsch.

Haven't played many Gretsch guitars but did manage to play a Sparkle Jet - fantastic guitar. Would really like to play a double cut Penguin. The Terada factory in Japan do a great job and certainly have better quality control than Gibson.

Yeah, I hear you. I had a G5122 that I didn't like at all - harsh metallic twinge, shit pickups, neck was way too chunky... But nothing that makes you think "they actually sent this out of the factory?". Sold it for the Committee I bought maybe a month or two later. The Japanese Gretsches do seem universally great, and if the Falcon I played was any indicator, I can see quite a few of them being in my collection in the near future. Funny you mention them having better QC than Gibson, because depending on who you ask, they'd tell you that the Terada folks have better QC than Gretsch did in the 60s and 70s!
    I've owned one Electromatic Jet which i've been using in my band until I recently got my custom guitar! Shits all over it needless to say. I just find the stock blacktop filtertrons to sound a bit 'hairy' and I struggle to get the definition out of them.

In case anybody is interested:

http://linesguitars....

That's my new baby! It's not styled after any guitar in particular though..... *cough*
    •  
    • Jul 28th 2015

Would love to compare a 60s Gretsch and a modern day one to see if there are any differences in quality.

Nice guitar FilterGrit! If you don't mind me asking, was it expensive?
    A 60's Gretsch will always sound better to us as we are used to hearing one on the AC/DC records! ;)

It was fairly expensive :) But I'd imagine you'd pay the same for a Mal sig nowadays. May be worth looking into sir, as you can really shape the guitar as you please. I've never played a guitar better than this thing! :) I'm sure you'd have a man local to yourself! My guitar is not a direct copy of a Mal sig but it''s influenced by one. I wanted more a of a les paul junior vibe anyway :)
    •  
    • Jul 28th 2015

I've just sent him an email asking him for a quote. I would want a dead-on replica of Mals Jet so it could be quite expensive. If it's more than a Mal Sig I'll get the Gretsch.
    Mr. Lines? I dunno if he'd do a total copy but I can certainly vouch for his work! :D

Good luck mate!
    •  
    • Jul 29th 2015 edited

Anyone know the value of a MY Jet?
    I guess now it's hard to say. Have you seen any on ebay recently? :) Only one I can find is £900. I guess the thing about a custom is it could be slightly more expensive but you could get all of the details right that they got wrong on the sig :)
    •  
    • Jul 29th 2015 edited

Posted By: BackfireAnyone know the value of a MY Jet?

Single pickup would be anywhere from $800 (very very low end) to maybe $1100? MYII would probably be from $1300-$2100 if I had to guess. A red MYII is currently on ebay, and a single pickup version recently sold for $999.
    Posted By: FilterGritI guess now it's hard to say. Have you seen any on ebay recently? :) Only one I can find is £900. I guess the thing about a custom is it could be slightly more expensive but you could get all of the details right that they got wrong on the sig :)

You know, Jaydee did make some customs for Mal, but he lost the patterns for the guitar... Maybe send a Jet over to him in the future and try and see what he can do? Much more expensive option though.
    Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: FilterGritI guess now it's hard to say. Have you seen any on ebay recently? :) Only one I can find is £900. I guess the thing about a custom is it could be slightly more expensive but you could get all of the details right that they got wrong on the sig :)

You know, Jaydee did make some customs for Mal, but he lost the patterns for the guitar... Maybe send a Jet over to him in the future and try and see what he can do? Much more expensive option though.

I'm familiar with the Jaydee Jets, they look really good in the photos. I wonder how he 'lost' the patterns, that's something i've not heard much about! :) You don't think Gretsch paid him off do you?
    •  
    • Jul 29th 2015 edited

I asked John myself when inquiring about prices - threw in the possibility about having Mal's Jets remade, and he said he lost'em over the years. No one even knew Mal had guitars made for him until a couple years ago, so he probably lost them due to never using them again.

I doubt it - Gretsch was about to go out of business when they were made, assuming they weren't already out of business by then. Plus, if Gibson hasn't stopped him yet (then again, they have him to thank for their AY signature models), no way Gretsch would.
    Posted By: SpellboundI asked John myself when inquiring about prices - threw in the possibility about having Mal's Jets remade, and he said he lost'em over the years. No one even knew Mal had guitars made for him until a couple years ago, so he probably lost them due to never using them again.

Nice. Good to know. I thought that price of MY Jet replica by JayDee would be in the same ballpark as his Angus SG model. I suppose you haven't got any rough estimate of a price from him, because of that?
    •  
    • Jul 29th 2015 edited

Depends on which model - the original one with the V headstock and 2 pickups would probably be about the same price as one of the SG models (probably cheaper than his Angus standard [not the Donington], due to no paint etc.), but the single pickup versions I can't imagine being more than 2 grand.

Those are my estimates though - didn't ask for his. I never brought forward the idea of sending him a regular Jet and seeing if he can make me a replica MY from that either. I was considering seeing if he could put me in contact with the guy who currently own's Mal's first Jet, to see if he'd be up for an offer to send it back to John for DNA sampling - not gonna do that any time soon though.
    Bummer that he lost those patterns. I can imagine the he would be able to sell a few of 'em these days. Not that he is short on orders, when one has to wait for a guitar almost 1,5 year...
    Posted By: currentpeakBummer that he lost those patterns. I can imagine the he would be able to sell a few of 'em these days. Not that he is short on orders, when one has to wait for a guitar almost 1,5 year...

Supposedly the wait times should be drastically decreasing eventually. Now would be a good time to place an order if that's true.... Wish I had the funds to do so. :(
    Also, I think that you can have one made by Gretsch Custom Shop directly. I have seen a photo from their shop, where there was standing an exact copy of Mal's Beast in a guitar rack. I suppose the price would be very similar.
    Makes sense when you think that nobody knew about Angus' guitars until recently either! Just out of interest did you ever go for anything from Jaydee?
    Posted By: currentpeakAlso, I think that you can have one made by Gretsch Custom Shop directly. I have seen a photo from their shop, where there was standing an exact copy of Mal's Beast in a guitar rack. I suppose the price would be very similar.

I saw the premier guitar video in the Grestch custom shop, somewhere in that video is a split second image of a replica Mal jet there!
    Posted By: FilterGrit
    Posted By: currentpeakAlso, I think that you can have one made by Gretsch Custom Shop directly. I have seen a photo from their shop, where there was standing an exact copy of Mal's Beast in a guitar rack. I suppose the price would be very similar.

I saw the premier guitar video in the Grestch custom shop, somewhere in that video is a split second image of a replica Mal jet there!

That can be it!

Posted By: FilterGritMakes sense when you think that nobody knew about Angus' guitars until recently either! Just out of interest did you ever go for anything from Jaydee?

If by recently you mean since SoloDallas has put up his website a few years ago, then I agree. Some very good stuff and knowledge sprang from that community. As far as I am concerned.
    Posted By: currentpeakBummer that he lost those patterns. I can imagine the he would be able to sell a few of 'em these days. Not that he is short on orders, when one has to wait for a guitar almost 1,5 year...

Supposedly the wait times should be drastically decreasing eventually. Now would be a good time to place an order if that's true.... Wish I had the funds to do so. :(

Oh yeah, the funds. Eternal problem of the working class people. Tell me about it...

I was deciding whether to get a custom-made amp or guitar first and came to a conclusion, that there are lots of luthiers out there and custom shops and lots of guitar models from back in the day is still in production, so the knowledge is still there. But when it comes to the amps, I think there are much less knowledgeable people who know what they are doing (after all, luthier gotta know his craft and the woods, there gotta be some tech stuff regarding the electronics, but making an amp is whole another level of electronics knowledge). And there are lots of amps which are no longer available nowadays, so the knowledge is in the hands of a very few who have repaired amps for the decades. And those are not going to live forever, neither it is like they all are in a situation that they can pass their knowledge to somebody who will continue running the business. Of course, I am talking about the golden era of late 60's through 70's to 80's (golden for me, anyway).

Gretsch Custom Shop is VERY expensive. Expect to pay $5000+ for a custom Jet.

Posted By: FilterGritMakes sense when you think that nobody knew about Angus' guitars until recently either! Just out of interest did you ever go for anything from Jaydee?

Well, many folks did know about Jaydee, but not to the extent that people know with Gibson/Gretsch. :) Malcolm's Gretsches - literally none of us knew he made any for Mal until someone stumbled on a picture that was on MalYoungRock's photobucket with two of the Jaydee's backstage, and a few months later, John made a page about it!

Posted By: currentpeak

Oh yeah, the funds. Eternal problem of the working class people. Tell me about it...

I was deciding whether to get a custom-made amp or guitar first and came to a conclusion, that there are lots of luthiers out there and custom shops and lots of guitar models from back in the day is still in production, so the knowledge is still there. But when it comes to the amps, I think there are much less knowledgeable people who know what they are doing (after all, luthier gotta know his craft and the woods, there gotta be some tech stuff regarding the electronics, but making an amp is whole another level of electronics knowledge). And there are lots of amps which are no longer available nowadays, so the knowledge is in the hands of a very few who have repaired amps for the decades. And those are not going to live forever, neither it is like they all are in a situation that they can pass their knowledge to somebody who will continue running the business. Of course, I am talking about the golden era of late 60's through 70's to 80's (golden for me, anyway).

I've got all day to tell you. :)

I agree completely. With that said, the only custom made amps I'd go for are Metros and Wizards. The only amp tech I'd go to is one about 2 hours north of me, and that's only because George M himself directed me his way due to having way too much on his plate... And I'm still feeling uncomfortable with it!

On the other hand, when it comes to guys like John D at Jaydee - they're not gonna be around forever. I aim to get both AY SGs, a few MY replicas, and John's custom SG with the cool humbuckers and V headstock before the company is no more.
    •  
    • Jul 29th 2015

Hopefully I'll be able to get my Gretsch MY for around £800. On the subject of amps, what does everyone use? I use a Hughes and Kettner Attax 100 combo. It's a hybrid amp and sounds great but a bit dark. Hopefully the Gretsch will brighten the tone.
    I use a Matrix VB800. It may look like a lunchbox but I swear at volume you may as well have a JCM 800 behind you.

http://www.andertons...

Give it a 4X12 and it's very easy to keep up with any amp in a live situation. It's good for the back as well! :)

I've played a lot of H&K stuff and never found one that really got me. They seem to be great amps for the higher gain stuff though :)
    Posted By: SpellboundI've got all day to tell you. :)

I agree completely. With that said, the only custom made amps I'd go for are Metros and Wizards. The only amp tech I'd go to is one about 2 hours north of me, and that's only because George M himself directed me his way due to having way too much on his plate... And I'm still feeling uncomfortable with it!

On the other hand, when it comes to guys like John D at Jaydee - they're not gonna be around forever. I aim to get both AY SGs, a few MY replicas, and John's custom SG with the cool humbuckers and V headstock before the company is no more.

I can certainly see where are you coming from with those amp brands :D 2 hrs north and you are bitchin'? Be glad it is such close to you and within the country you live in. What about other continent and threat of paying VAT and import duties (without merit)? Sounds better now, right?

I thought that JayDee is not a one man operation? Not these days? So there would be a chance that he can pass on the knowledge and business can continue running? Anyway, I see that you suffer from a serious G.A.S. condition :D

I don't need exact 100% replicas of certain axes or amps, rather something more versatile that gets me into the desired ballpark of sounds. And after all, eventually every guitar player tries to find his own sound, right?
    It's not the distance - it's the fact that I'm not too comfortable with guys I don't know having a go with my amp - even if someone as reputable as George says they're good at what they do. I was more than willing to send my amp across the country just to have it worked on, price be damned!

Jaydee isn't a one man operation, but it sure doesn't seem like many people work there. There's a collection of photos by a guy who works(worked?) with them, and it seems like a pretty small shop, plus a couple of photos of John himself. But yeah, the GAS in incredible over here. ;(

I like exact replicas because I'd want to use those if I'm playing someone else's music... Plus they look cool as shit! My personal guitars (i.e. ones I would go stage with [as if that would ever happen]) would mostly consist of Gretsches from the Baldwin era, granted some modded in the same vein as Malcolm's guitars.
    I understand, but if he says the guy knows his stuff, then he must be good.

I've seen some of those. Hopefully they will be in the business for a long time.

Yeah, I get you. But that is a pain of a situation because it implies G.A.S. = replicas of amps, axes & gear for every music you want to cover :D Either find a job with a good pay or hit the jackpot :D
    Posted By: currentpeakI understand, but if he says the guy knows his stuff, then he must be good.

I've seen some of those. Hopefully they will be in the business for a long time.

Yeah, I get you. But that is a pain of a situation because it implies G.A.S. = replicas of amps, axes & gear for every music you want to cover :D Either find a job with a good pay or hit the jackpot :D

Here's hoping that's true.

Nah, not every music I want to cover - just replica's of Mal's Jets, and Ang's Donington SG. Besides that, I want to mostly hunt down a bunch of old Gretsch stuff. TK-300s, Super Chets (have I mentioned how much I love Baldwin era Gretsches? lol), some Gibsons and a Rickenbacker. Amps I'm not too worried about having built similar to how an artist had them - I just want them to sound how they're supposed to be when stock. Not too big on mods for amps.
    I can for sure relate to love of Gretsches. I quite like G6120DC Chet Atkins Double Cutaway Hollow Body that Stevie plays on one old photo from the studio.
    What about Gibson Byrdland (the one Ted Nugent plays)?

Well that is it, but it is quite pricey to have one plexi, one metalface and one 2203/JCM800 (more or less the same amps), right?
    •  
    • Jul 30th 2015 edited

I played a '64 6120DC some time last year, though the one I played had a Melitia bridge on it for some reason. Not that it was bad thing cause it was a killer guitar.

Byrdland's are cool, not sure I'd want to buy one though. Now, an ES-335 on the other hand... :)

The only JCM800 amp I'd want is the 2000/2001 series amps that the band used in the mid 80s. Regarding your question though - to be fair, every single amp was different in their own way, even if they were stock, no? :) My Super bass will just be even more different since some other guy is working on it (to undo whatever the fuck the previous owner had done to it).

When it comes to gear, I'm not all that concerned about price. Shit, TSR that I bought was a nearly $800 pedal, it's just the remaining space around the house that's my main worry!
    Yeah, it has the Rocking Bar bridge as standard I think.

Certainly the one from early 80's (enhanced 2203 essentially) and not later models. Crunch, not metal gain shit.

Haha, but that TSR was a good buy I would say. Look at its price now (okay, maybe nicer packaging and minimal hiss, but essentially the same sound). And I quite like to think that the original 100 pcs have "that furnace going" as Malcolm used to call that hiss when you don't play it.
    I dunno. I haven't thought much into what amps I'd buy. I have a huge urge to just go full out collector and get the 70s and early 80s amps, but I'd have to wait a couple years before I make that kind of commitment - I can't even commit to a woman, let alone my GAS!

The TSR was definitely a great buy. The new model has rubbed me the wrong way though. I remember reading that the new ones have the internals tweaked to sound even better, and that the hiss was gone. Okay, well removing hiss is one thing... But where does the originals stand? Is it a 1:1 replica or not? How can the new ones sound better if the original Gold Tags are supposedly 1:1 replicas? Not to mention the addition of the XLR, which I directly asked Fil why he excluded from the original GT releases, he said had no difference in tone from the 1/4 output... Which is nonsense, because after comparing tone on an original 58 (did this first, which caused me to ask Fil in the first place) and a Pro 63 unit (which I just did a few nights ago, also not sure if mine is the SVDS copy or prior to it though, I'm pretty sure it's a copy though since it seems to have Dynex I on it), the XLR output was different from the 1/4, regardless of the position of the Mike/Line Switch.

It all just seems really shady on their end. Not really happy about that.
    Hmm, dunno about that XLR mate. Although I noticed that there is an XLR output on the new one.

Well, I see it this way: TSR became way too big - industry people finally (I suppose mainly because its appearance on the new AC/DC album, because one year prior to it, no one of big guitar mags even mentioned it in any article, only this year the whole hype started) came to realize its potential (=read their cut of $$$ cake). So there are a lot of "partners" now in there and they do their job - market the product. Because the original 100 pcs sold out, they needed to come up with something "new and better" so they made a new packaging that is almost identical with original SVDS and Mr Schaffer (good marketing move btw.) revised the circuit so now it should be even less hissy (I don't know if there is any upgrade sound wise other than almost no hiss as they say, but I don't think so - better is just a marketing word). So the new packaging, XLR output, less hiss = better product and higher price.

I do think that the original is 1:1 copy (at least as 1:1 as they could do at that time), I don't think that Fil would lie about it. But only they know for sure :)
    •  
    • Jul 30th 2015 edited

I can see where you're coming from regarding TSR getting so immensely popular, and I agree that they needed something new and better (hell. I remember when Fil said the curved box would never happen due to how expensive it would be), but it really makes me wonder if the original buyers got somewhat screwed. If it's a 1:1 replica of the audio circuitry, it should've included the XLR, replica and the Mike/Line switch. Even Ang seemed to use it (albeit, only during 77), not that it matters of course.

Case in point:

In the video, Fil says that the XLR is all compression, no boost. Sounds almost exactly the same as the Hippodrome gig.

You can't use TSR without applying some boost (the originals at least).
    Hard for me to say as I can only speak for myself.

I know what you mean, but probably to make the whole project realisable, they had to do some cost cutting. Omit things that are not totally essential, while keeping the sound there. I assume that if they wanted to feature everything you mentioned, the price would for sure get higher. Don't forget that originally it was self-funded by Fil. That they were able to upgrade it recently is thanks to the interest of other businessmen I would say (In America, it's all about effin' business, you know? :D).

Let me put it this way. If the project didn't get bigger than they ever imagined, they would probably be still selling the same product. And everybody would be happy :) Angus Young and people who bought out first batches of GT and pedal made it possible for others... Maybe a bit bittersweet but that is the truth. After all, we got what we paid for (and we knew about it beforehand).

P.S. Maybe you might be able to trade off for the new one and pay off?
    I'm completely fine with cost cutting, provided he was up front about it (like he was with the replica being completely rectangular in shape). The problem is that not only was he not being up front, he actually lied about it and said nothing of value would be lost with the exclusion of the XLR.

I bought the thing because I believed his claim, along with acknowledging that he had to back off on some things due to financial limits, and I wanted to support Fil as much as I could. This is leaving a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth though.

I'm gonna keep the one I have, because I really do like it (plus, mine is a recall model... more boost!). I may even buy one of the new models - I just don't think it'll be through Fil directly though. Probably gonna wait and buy one on eBay.