To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

•  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Feb 16th 2015

Posted By: FilterGritI suggest we change subject :P Otherwise this could get crazy xD What's your rig alongside the SG like marcinha? And do you have a band? :)

I'll get back to you on this later, though there's not too much going on in this department ;)
    So, I'm thinking about getting a Schaffer Replica. Would this be a good thread to ask for opinions, or should I make a new thread?

I play with natural tube gain pretty much cranked up to the max, and I use no effects whatsoever, so I plug straight into my amp. I do use the Marshall footswitch for the gain channel, but I'm not crazy about the sound it gives me. So I'm looking for something that gives me a nice gain boost and more feedback control (I love feedbacking).

Would a Schaffer Replica be good for that? I've been reading a bit on it, but have to admit I don't exactly know how it works.

Assuming I'll go with the pedal, how does it work? Does it work like a footswitch of sorts? If so, does it work on any amp that has a footswitch option? Or does it work like an effect pedal where you plug into the pedal and then plug the pedal into the amp input?

Any informative links are also welcome.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Feb 16th 2015 edited

GET IT.

It's a pedal, but I can't remember if it comes with a footswitch like the Gold Tag or if it has one already installed. Either way. Turn it on, dial it in, and rock the fuck out. Couldn't endorse it enough.
    I thought the pedal was a standalone unit (like a distortion pedal size roughly)? Like the GT but condensed into a smaller package, from what i've heard they do great things, just takes the amp to the next level without getting all fuzzy.
    Okay, but do I need to plug into the pedal, or do I only connect the pedal to the Footswitch In?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: recimo
    • Feb 16th 2015 edited

Anyone have this guitar?
    http://www.schecterg...

http://img.audiofanz...

It's Schecter PT. PT stands for Pete Townshend. I watched some youtube videos about that guitar and I really like it. Especially that tele inspired shape. Anyone has it or had some experience playing it? What are your thoughts about it?
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2015 edited

you might want to check Dunlop EP101 Echoplex Preamp, it's 3x cheaper and Jimmi Page used the original unit this one is based on.

here are 68 other booster pedals
    http://proguitarshop...
    Posted By: OneTimeLoverOkay, but do I need to plug into the pedal, or do I only connect the pedal to the Footswitch In?

I'd just connect the pedal into the front end of your amp? Plug into the pedal and then the 'Out' cable into the amplifier?
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2015 edited

Posted By: FilterGritI suggest we change subject :P Otherwise this could get crazy xD What's your rig alongside the SG like marcinha? And do you have a band? :)

Orange Dual Terror and the Orange PPC112 cabinet (some people say the stock speaker is really shit, I don't mind it) + The Schaffer Replica pedal. A Fender MIJ 95 Telecaster, a Fender MIJ 95 Flame Top Jazz Bass and a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Stratocaster. I need a reverb pedal. And I'm thinking of getting an Epiphone ES-339 PRO.

I wouldn't call it a band, but we have a place with drums and amps and we meet up once a week to play jam anything out.
    Posted By: FilterGrit
    Posted By: OneTimeLoverOkay, but do I need to plug into the pedal, or do I only connect the pedal to the Footswitch In?

I'd just connect the pedal into the front end of your amp? Plug into the pedal and then the 'Out' cable into the amplifier?

Finally found a picture that seems to feature a line in and a line out, so I'm guessing it works like a regular distortion pedal then.

Posted By: marcinha

Orange Dual Terror and the Orange PPC112 cabinet + The Schaffer Replica pedal. A Fender MIJ 95 Telecaster, a Fender MIJ 95 Flame Top Jazz Bass and a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Stratocaster. I need a reverb pedal. And I'm thinking of getting an Epiphone ES-339 PRO.

I wouldn't call it a band, but we have a place with drums and amps and we meet up once a week to play jam anything out.

Very Nice! I like the sound of the ES-339 PRO. Those guitars look the business. I really need to get another semi-hollow, the feedback has always been a pain before though :P That sounds cool though! Everyone loves a jam :) I've just joined a band, I'm trying to sneak some ACDC in there! :P I've never used any reverb strangely enough! I did get a miniature tuning pedal the other day though, fits in with my Matrix VB800 that's for sure!
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2015

I've seen only very good ES-339 PRO reviews, apart from the ones from the Gibson owners (they need to justify their 5k 335's ;)

The Schaffer Replica works best on my friends original 70's Vox AC30. He wen't like 'what the fuck is this thing?'

I also have the original Korg MS-20 - does that count? :)
    And I've recently sold my Rhodes Seventy Three and Roland Jupiter 6.
    Can we do an acoustic guitar showcase on this thread?
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2015

Why not. Shoot.

I have a Fender CD-60CE Black. Cheap, good. I had a £1200 acoustic for a few weeks, didn't like it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Feb 16th 2015

Posted By: gunforhireCan we do an acoustic guitar showcase on this thread?

Sounds good, I'll snap a photo of mine later.
    •  
    • Feb 16th 2015

Here's mine.

Ibanez AEG8E-BK
    Great sound. It has thinner body than classis shape acoustic guitars. Really nice guitar for about 220 euros.
    Mine's a Tanglewood TW28 CLN. I'll snap a picture once my pickguard arrives in the mail.
    So, does anyone have a Schaffer Replica and an opinion on it?
    Posted By: OneTimeLoverSo, does anyone have a Schaffer Replica and an opinion on it?

Yes.

Opinion: It's awesome.
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015 edited

Posted By: OneTimeLoverSo, does anyone have a Schaffer Replica and an opinion on it?

It's good, very good. But check out other boosters, you might like them also, they cost 1/3rd or 1/2 the price of the TSR.
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: recimoHere's mine.

what's that one on the left? looks like an SG, but weird knob and switch placement.
    Posted By: Spellbound

Yes.

•  
    • Feb 17th 2015 edited

Yeah, it's awsome or whatever, but check out the zillion other boosters, just in case you might like one of them better, and save dough for something more useful. Or perhaps change your amp to one with gain that you like. I havn't had the need to apply it to my Orrange full tube amp. When I want extra meat, I just crank it up a bit. Keeps things simple.

edit: the TSR costs as much as half of a new Dual Terror, you can get a used one for not much more than a TSR. think about it. the DT is a mighty good amplifier, you won't ever want to sell it.
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: recimoHere's mine.

what's that one on the left? looks like an SG, but weird knob and switch placement.

Epiphone SG :)
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

ah, ok, Epi SG Special, completely forgot about Epis
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015 edited

Posted By: marcinhaah, ok, Epi SG Special, completely forgot about Epis

Yep. Bridge pickup is great considering quality of guitar but neck pickup is shit. Action is very very high. I adjusted trust rod, nut slots and bridge but it's still very high. I'm used to it, but when someone else picks up the guitar they have trouble playing it :D
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

heard these Epi SG's are not too good
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: marcinhaheard these Epi SG's are not too good

Ofcourse, but for that price they are ok.
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

It's a pitty, because Epi is capable of manufacturing very good guitars at really good prices, the ES-339 is a good example. The problem with these SG's is that they are attracting people with higher quality demands, hence the dissapointment. They should just put up a line of better SG's (like they have for the LP's) like Squier has with the Strats and Teles - the real cheap shitty Bullits and the cheap and increasingly great Classic Vibe/Vintage Modified series.
    Posted By: marcinhaIt's a pitty, because Epi is capable of manufacturing very good guitars at really good prices, the ES-339 is a good example. The problem with these SG's is that they are attracting people with higher quality demands, hence the dissapointment. They should just put up a line of better SG's (like they have for the LP's) like Squier has with the Strats and Teles - the real cheap shitty Bullits and the cheap and increasingly great Classic Vibe/Vintage Modified series.

Squiers are ridiculously good for the price
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Feb 17th 2015 edited

Posted By: marcinhaIt's a pitty, because Epi is capable of manufacturing very good guitars at really good prices, the ES-339 is a good example. The problem with these SG's is that they are attracting people with higher quality demands, hence the dissapointment. They should just put up a line of better SG's (like they have for the LP's) like Squier has with the Strats and Teles - the real cheap shitty Bullits and the cheap and increasingly great Classic Vibe/Vintage Modified series.

I have two Epiphone SG Customs, the one with 3 pickups, and I couldn't say a bad word about them. They are more expensive than the normal Epi SG's but I both got 'em second hand. One for 200 bucks and one for 250. I love them and they do everything I want them to do. I gig with 'em regularly and record with 'em. After gigs people often are surprised to find out that I actually played an Epi on stage, since they thought it was a Gibson. So they can't sound too bad.
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

Well, if you say so, but there's that one, where are others? Choice is very small and lacks a line of good Standard SG's.
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: SpellboundSquiers are ridiculously good for the price

absolutely
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Johnnysg
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: AngusRudd1019
    Posted By: Spellbound

Yes.

I third this!!
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: marcinhaWell, if you say so, but there's that one, where are others? Choice is very small and lacks a line of good Standard SG's.

I've got a Epi G-400 in worn brown, too, which plays wonderful. But I also had the same model in ebony and it was shit. I also had another Epi Custom SG which had a few deadspots on the fret. But that could have come from the Bigsby it had. I haven't tried any Squieres yet since I'm not too much of a Fender guy. But I think about getting a Tele sooner or later and I will defenitely try the Squieres out. I have to say that I'm not too much of gear head and my ears are sure not as good as to detect every nuance of an amp or a pickup or whatever. That means I also don't care too much about certain things and leave those to others. For me a guitar is a tool and that's the way I use it. But I know what I like and I also admit that the look of a guitar does have a certain importance to me. To me you just can't go onstage and play some vintage R'n'R and use a neon green Jackson from the 80ties for example. And I'm certainly more comfortable playing an instrument that also looks right. It's a bit the same with women: It's not only about looks, but in the end you can't have a relation ship with a girl that you can't look at. ;-)
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

Yeah, I have the same kind of affection for gear - since I could get all I have cheap, I went for it. I need it to sound good. If it does, then supposedly "better" appears just different to me. Perhaps that's why I'm not tremendously mad about the TSR like some are. And I totally agree that a guitar is gotta look good, you need to like it's looks. And I hate the look of a 3 pickup SG, or a white one :)

Should you look at a Squier, check their Classic Vibe Telecaster Custom 3TS, it's fabulous.

Posted By: RoccoTo me you just can't go onstage and play some vintage R'n'R and use a neon green Jackson from the 80ties for example

Nope, you can't. And I think music associated with green Jackson's from the 80's should NOT be played at all under any circumstances ;)

You can play with a neon green 80s Jackson. Just rip out the shit electronics and put in a good Filtertron or T-Top. :)
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: SpellboundYou can play with a neon green 80s Jackson. Just rip out the shit electronics and put in a good Filtertron or T-Top. :)

Well, I wasn't talking about the sound. Actually I have no clue about the sound of Jacksons. Never played one and never will probably. I was talking about the looks. And you can put in any pu you want but it still will won't look right. ;-)
    Posted By: SpellboundYou can play with a neon green 80s Jackson. Just rip out the shit electronics and put in a good Filtertron or T-Top. :)

I had a mad moment once and saw a spalted maple B.C.Rich that I really wanted to put a Filtertron in xD
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Feb 17th 2015

My Crafter TC-035/N that I bought about a year ago. I hardly ever play it, but when I do, it plays really well.

photo 10833535-A07D-4AB1-9740-947C093B23D3_zpsc5buhp1k.jpg

photo B445BA02-D83F-4318-9779-7E9452516DED_zpsjy94occl.jpg

photo 2EF33C57-1D37-47E6-9A0F-E773E36CC617_zpsh7w2rowh.jpg

photo 24F43339-B074-415C-976D-7500748BBCF4_zps88sumcii.jpg
    Thanks for the Schaffer Replica feedback, guys.

Yeah, I should really upgrade my amp too. I have a Marshall JTM30, full valve, and it sounds great, but it's a combo. The natural gain on the clean channel is great, but the gain channel doesn't sound too great in my opinion, and it's way too soft. I need to crank the master volume almost all the way up (which is ridiculously loud, especially at home) in order to get it to sound as loud as the clean channel. It's awkward.
    Posted By: OneTimeLoverThanks for the Schaffer Replica feedback, guys.

Yeah, I should really upgrade my amp too. I have a Marshall JTM30, full valve, and it sounds great, but it's a combo. The natural gain on the clean channel is great, but the gain channel doesn't sound too great in my opinion, and it's way too soft. I need to crank the master volume almost all the way up (which is ridiculously loud, especially at home) in order to get it to sound as loud as the clean channel. It's awkward.

If you get an old Vega Dynex III wireless or a Sennheiser you can get gain similar to what an amp would produce rather than what Angus got.
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: marcinhaYeah, I have the same kind of affection for gear - since I could get all I have cheap, I went for it. I need it to sound good. If it does, then supposedly "better" appears just different to me. Perhaps that's why I'm not tremendously mad about the TSR like some are. And I totally agree that a guitar is gotta look good, you need to like it's looks. And I hate the look of a 3 pickup SG, or a white one :)

I was lucky enough to get a TSR prototype to record our album. I like it. But I'm with you, it's not something that would the history of Rock'n'Roll or improve your ability to play or be creative. But it's a nice gadget to bring you there where you wanna go soundwise. Well, for I can't think of much that is more beautyful than a white 3 pickup SG with the big scratchplate and a sideways Vibrola. ;-)

Should you look at a Squier, check their Classic Vibe Telecaster Custom 3TS, it's fabulous.

Thanks. Will defenitely check it out.

Nope, you can't. And I think music associated with green Jackson's from the 80's should NOT be played at all under any circumstances ;)

LOL. Nice pic.
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015 edited

so you're playing a gig in Berlin on Thursday?

what's that black Black Gretsch look-a-like in the Wet Nightmare video??
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

some proper unpretentious rock n roll there on your part with a proper does of AC/DC influence and nonchalant punk!
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: marcinhaso you're playing a gig in Berlin on Thursday?

what's that black Black Gretsch look-a-like in the Wet Nightmare video??

LOL, you sneaky little stalker ;)
    It's actually a Gretsch Syncromatic. I think it was built in the 90ties. Unfortunately it's pretty fucked up right now. The bridge pu doesn't work properly, the strap buttons are ripped out and the nick would need a proper adjustment. It's a pretty heavy fucker so I never used it much live, since I prefer lighter weight of the SG.
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: marcinhasome proper unpretentious rock n roll there on your part with a proper does of AC/DC influence and nonchalant punk!

Thanks! My only ever goal was to write and play music I would buy and listen myself and that's what we do. If anybody else likes it even better and if it leads to play some gigs. And it actually works :D
    •  
    • Feb 17th 2015

Posted By: RoccoLOL, you sneaky little stalker ;)

yeah, well, by putting up your real name and announcing that you've put out a record puts you in a position of a skimpy dressed red lipsticked shameless lolita complaining she was done over ;)

Posted By: RoccoIt's actually a Gretsch Syncromatic. I think it was built in the 90ties. Unfortunately it's pretty fucked up right now. The bridge pu doesn't work properly, the strap buttons are ripped out and the nick would need a proper adjustment.

ah, that's too bad. when I google 'Gretsch Synchromatic' I get everything and it's grandmother but nothing in the shape of your thing. some more details, pls?

Posted By: RoccoThanks! My only ever goal was to write and play music I would buy and listen myself and that's what we do. If anybody else likes it even better and if it leads to play some gigs. And it actually works :D

that's the exact approach I engage with my music, only I got it too complex (not overcomplicated) and got stuck (synths, samplers, grooveboxes etc). So I resorted to the guitar, hope to pull my shit together someday, with the zillion ideas I've layed down over the years.
    • Feb 18th 2015

yeah, well, by putting up your real name and announcing that you've put out a record puts you in a position of a skimpy dressed red lipsticked shameless lolita complaining she was done over ;)

LOL, I actually just don't wanna come across like someone who's just here to promote his own stuff. I have no problem talking about it when getting asked but I don't think I will do "What do you think about our new song"-postings.

ah, that's too bad. when I google 'Gretsch Synchromatic' I get everything and it's grandmother but nothing in the shape of your thing. some more details, pls?

Well, I don't know much myself about it. But here's some info: https://reverb.com/i...
    Just google "Gretsch Synchromatic Duo Jet" and will find a bit of info. They also seem to have made a Malcolm Young-model.

Mine as still the original pu's which are not filtertrons but humbuckers. It also got a bolt on neck. The guitar actually sounded pretty good. I recorded the music for that Wet Nightmare video with actually. I just used the SG for the solo and some overdubs for the last chorus. I bought it for probably 100 bucks from a guy who had it hanging in his office. Thinking about it now I think I should get it back in shape.

that's the exact approach I engage with my music, only I got it too complex (not overcomplicated) and got stuck (synths, samplers, grooveboxes etc). So I resorted to the guitar, hope to pull my shit together someday, with the zillion ideas I've layed down over the years.

I was like that, too, with having umpteen ideas lying around. One day I decided to call up an old friend of mine who is a drummer and we started the band.
    •  
    • Feb 18th 2015

Posted By: RoccoLOL, I actually just don't wanna come across like someone who's just here to promote his own stuff. I have no problem talking about it when getting asked but I don't think I will do "What do you think about our new song"-postings.

well, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt your image if you let people know you are playing a gig! If you happen to play in the Gdansk area, just let me know :)
    good luck with the gig!

Posted By: RoccoI bought it for probably 100 bucks from a guy who had it hanging in his office

damn...

Posted By: RoccoI was like that, too, with having umpteen ideas lying around. One day I decided to call up an old friend of mine who is a drummer and we started the band.

I guess you where lucky to find like-minded people, and a vocalist - this is always the big trouble, you're one is handling the situation very well.