To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Posted By: DC/79A Gretsch Firebird isn't too heavy, they had chambered bodies and that's why Mal had the feedback problems in the 70's because his guitar would ring forever, hence the socks!
    If you want heavy, check out Les Paul Customs. I have 2, a 1974 Black Beauty and a 1976 in a dark red wine colour. The 74 is dead on 11 lbs and the 76 is 11.2 lbs. Both play and sound amazing, but 90 mins onstage is a pull on the shoulder!

Think that's heavy? My Gretsch is 12 pounds on the dot, and feels like it weighs more!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DC/79
    • Jan 10th 2015

12 lbs for a guitar is huge....what model is it?
    Posted By: SpellboundI've seen Jets from 67 with the early 60s layout (vertical instead of horizontal switch layout on the upper horn) come installed with Supertrons. Then again... It could be another modded Jet.

There's such a huge variety in models and parts with Gretsches, I find it thoroughly confusing.

Is a Jet Firebird 12 pounds? o_0
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Jan 10th 2015 edited

Posted By: OneTimeLover
    Posted By: SpellboundI've seen Jets from 67 with the early 60s layout (vertical instead of horizontal switch layout on the upper horn) come installed with Supertrons. Then again... It could be another modded Jet.

There's such a huge variety in models and parts with Gretsches, I find it thoroughly confusing.

Is a Jet Firebird 12 pounds? o_0

It's easier when you break it down into chunks. The chunks being 50s and early 60s, then Baldwin era, then after Gretsch started up business again is pre-fender era, and now Fender era. Jets like Mal has (where the switches are going up the horn) are Pre-Baldwin. Horizontal switches (i.e. like the current black Duo Jet with the Bigsby) is Baldwin era. Although there are some Baldwin Jets with vertical switches and Supertrons. Just depends on the serial/model.

Also no lol. A jet would weigh maybe 8 and half pounds at a maximum. They're hollow body guitars. Can't imagine them weighing more than 7.5/8.

Posted By: DC/7912 lbs for a guitar is huge....what model is it?

Gretsch Committee. Clear plexiglass guard instead of black, but I removed it because the clears ones look and make the guitar sound like garbage. Pickups have a little bar underneath them to mount them with standard HB rings (albeit ones from TV Jones emulating the Gretsch bezel look).

•  
    • Jan 10th 2015

That's a stock photo....show us your guitar?
    Just using it as a model reference. :-)

I'll snap a picture and post it later
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: ndaoud360
    • Jan 11th 2015 edited

Posted By: gunforhireDayum! What year/model is that? It looks just like one of the the AY signature models (only without the lightning bolt inlays and bell-shaped tuners)

It's a 2012 model Gibson SG standard limited aged cherry which I don't believe they make anymore. I modified it with a Pearly Gates bridge, witch hat knobs, cream switch tip/plate, and put Schaller tuners on it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: gunforhire
    • Jan 12th 2015 edited

Which strap locks do you use? I lost one of my Dunlop straplocks (not the screw-on ones; they're the twist/push over type) and was wondering if the Fender ones are any better (they look like the washers on Grolsch bottles and come with two pairs for £3.40: http://www.amazon.co... )

I got the Dunlop ones in about 2010 and they've updated them slightly since then; are the newer ones any better? http://www.amazon.co...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Jan 12th 2015

I use the plastic Dunlop twist and push ones
    Posted By: gunforhirethey look like the washers on Grolsch bottles

Speaking of which, those rubber rings on Grolsch bottles are extremely useful. I use them to keep my guitar strap from sliding off the pin. I put the strap on first, then place the rubber ring over it, stays in place perfectly under the edge of the pin. I can do what I want with my guitar, it works great. I used to have my strap slide off all the time.
    •  
    • Jan 12th 2015

strap on?
    I use Schallers
    Posted By: OneTimeLover
    Posted By: gunforhirethey look like the washers on Grolsch bottles

Speaking of which, those rubber rings on Grolsch bottles are extremely useful. I use them to keep my guitar strap from sliding off the pin. I put the strap on first, then place the rubber ring over it, stays in place perfectly under the edge of the pin. I can do what I want with my guitar, it works great. I used to have my strap slide off all the time.

I've heard of people buying packets of Grolsch washers just to use at strap locks :) The Fenders look similar to them; should I go for those?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Jan 15th 2015 edited

I'd like to recommend something to y'all guitar people here. I think this could be extremely usefull to some of you. Sound quality isn't the best, it's old, from VHS, but someone took the liberty to give the production a thought, the result of which being a very audible and transparent lead guitar in addition to the guy's articulation. You can pick up a lot. Just listen how he goes through a jam with only the five pentatonic notes and then in the next part only adds the blue note before advancing to the next scale and how he combines them. Very insighful and clear to comprehend. And I think you'll actually get closer to AC/DC through this type of stuff than through AC/DC and Angus himself. The Blues. It's the foundation. You need to learn the blues, there's no escaping this. Start from the blues. Well, enough talk, here it is:

•  
    • Jan 15th 2015 edited

and this is very usefull too, it's about how to setup your guitar, you'll be able to do it yourself after this, if don't know how already.
    I recommend you also check out his other videos, he's a really smart guy.

•  
    • Jan 15th 2015

the guitar headstocks video is brilliant too.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jan 15th 2015

Thanks! Looks like some good info. I'm gonna bookmark these.

Shoddy phone picture but here you go DC
    •  
    • Jan 15th 2015

Noice Filtertrons :D
    Thanks. :)

By the way - if anyone tells you that modern Filtertrons aren't as good as vintage ones, respond to them with a very polite fuck off.
    •  
    • Jan 15th 2015

Will do :)
    •  
    • Jan 16th 2015 edited

Posted By: SpellboundThanks. :)

By the way - if anyone tells you that modern Filtertrons aren't as good as vintage ones, respond to them with a very polite fuck off.

there are physical and chemical processes that work through the copper wire and magnet over time diminishing somewhat the peak resonance of the pickup rendering them a bit warmer in sound which might be more appealing to some.
    I'm not saying there's no differences between the two, hell, I plan on putting vintage filters on my Committee at some point. I'm just saying modern ones are definitely good in comparison to their vintage counterparts.
    •  
    • Jan 16th 2015

I know, I know, I'm not a 'vintage is better than modern' person either.
    The whole "vintage is better" thing depends on the brand imo. Some people would swear by Fender-era Gretsches dumping on vintage ones, whereas I swear by every modern Gibson I've tried being total dogshit. Have yet to try any vintage ones besides an L6 I recently tested out, which was a pretty cool guitar. Heavier than I thought it would be.
    •  
    • Jan 16th 2015

That is a beast!
    I am a vintage lover, but yes, it does depend a lot on the brand. Also, not every vintage guitar is good. Far from it. They made "monday morning" models back in the day too.
    •  
    • Jan 16th 2015

Posted By: Spellboundevery modern Gibson I've tried being total dogshit.

SP, can list all relevent points which make a modern Gibson so bad in your opinion? I know shit about guitars and I'd like to learn what to watch out for when/if I attempt to by another guitar. Thanks.
    Here's my guitar (SG G400):
    Posted By: DC/79That is a beast!

Thanks mate! There's still a few fine tunings need to be done to make it work optimally (new nut, get rid of the fucking shit bridge for a tune-o-matic set up, and see if I can get rid of the neck pup without the PCB board in the cavity acting wonky), but it's still a pretty sweet guitar. Quite possibly the smallest neck you'll ever play in your life.

Posted By: marcinha
    Posted By: Spellboundevery modern Gibson I've tried being total dogshit.

SP, can list all relevent points which make a modern Gibson so bad in your opinion? I know shit about guitars and I'd like to learn what to watch out for when/if I attempt to by another guitar. Thanks.

- Frets being completely unleveled/installed incorrectly to the point of sticking straight out of the fretboard instead of being "set in"

This is the main issue I really have them, but it's a pretty fucking important thing to take care of. I think I had a few other things jotted down when DC/79 asked before, but I can't remember. The playability in general was not good at all.
    how do i add a picture to a post...
    Posted By: LiveWire1996how do i add a picture to a post...

Create a URL for it; upload it to something to the Internet to somewhere like TinyPic (or just put it on Facebook), right-click the image and it should have an option saying something like 'Copy image URL'. Click that, then paste it in the text box.

BTW are you still up for the guitar cover thing? I can do it this weekend if you want.
    Posted By: gunforhire
    Posted By: LiveWire1996how do i add a picture to a post...

Create a URL for it; upload it to something to the Internet to somewhere like TinyPic (or just put it on Facebook), right-click the image and it should have an option saying something like 'Copy image URL'. Click that, then paste it in the text box.

BTW are you still up for the guitar cover thing? I can do it this weekend if you want.

PM Me.

My pedal board

Just a MIM Telecaster

2013 Les Paul Traditional. Sounds great..the nut is all fucked up though and is in need of a setup

My amp is a Marshall JCM2000 TSL Half stack

Aside from loving AC/DC i play in two bands. One band with tons of originals that is like Alternative Rock/Pop like Foo Fighters/Fall Out Boy/Green Day etc and then i play in a classic rock cover band with my dad (drummer). My favorite players are Angus Young, Chris Shifflet, Don Felder, Joe Walsh, Eddie Van Halen, John Mayer, Jimmy Page, Butch Walker
    •  
    • Jan 17th 2015

Posted By: Spellbound- Frets being completely unleveled/installed incorrectly to the point of sticking straight out of the fretboard instead of being "set in"

luckily I don't get that on mine, it's fine. only the pots turn a bit funny, like Earth wobbling arround it's axis. but only a bit and I don't care anyway.
    Posted By: Spellbound- Frets being completely unleveled/installed incorrectly to the point of sticking straight out of the fretboard instead of being "set in"

luckily I don't get that on mine, it's fine. only the pots turn a bit funny, like Earth wobbling arround it's axis. but only a bit and I don't care anyway.

Have you tried taking the caps/knobs off and tightening them by hand?
    Few of mine that I happen to have decent photos of.
    This is a pre lawsuit Japanese Gibson replica from the 70s. Paid £100 for it. Sounds and plays amazing.

Westfield PRS copy. Nothing special. Great clean sound on this.

Gretsch Electromatic. Lovely guitar.

Westfield LP. First guitar I ever got. Now used mainly for fancy dress as you can see. Been out in Derby, Preston, Notts and YNot Festival with that guitar on me all night. Great response from people haha

My mate Tom doing his best Angus when we were little. Same guitar I just removed the pick guard in later years.

Dean V. Pretty Much my number 1. Had it since I was 16. Slim fast neck and great tone. Schenker model I've had for just over a year and is my main spare/Drop D guitar.

Old photo of my pedal board. No longer use the talk box as it was too much of a fucking hassle.

Marshall Cab. 'Flower Power' ;)

Use a Peavey Valveking 100 head but don't have a decent photo of it. Also use my mates 6505+ and my uncles Marshall TSL 60 when needed for various stuff.
    •  
    • Jan 17th 2015

Here's one for you....who has (or has ever even played) one of these? 1981 Gibson RD Artist.

Looks a we bit strange. Guessing they were an extremely limited run sort of thing? I always liked the look of the Gibson Moderne myself but never had the chance to play one. You got one of those DC79?
    •  
    • Jan 17th 2015

No, I don't have a Moderne. The RD Artist was made 77-81, and had moog circuitry inside, hence the tap switches. it's not the best sounding Gibson by any means, but they are rare as rockinghorse shit so it's part of my pension!
    •  
    • Jan 17th 2015 edited

Here are some of my others, L-R 1971 SG Standard, 1974 Fender Telecaster modded to be exactly the same as Muddy Waters original guitar, 1965 SG Standard, 1958 Les Paul Junior. About £16k worth of guitars....and yes of course I have insurance!

•  
    • Jan 17th 2015 edited

Posted By: gunforhire

Have you tried taking the caps/knobs off and tightening them by hand?

nah, it doesn't bother me.

edit: furthermore, I took a close look at the frets on this guitar and they are absolutely perfect, each one, perfectly aligned and set. either I'm really lucky or Spellbound is really unlucky with these.
    Might be a bit of both. Hoping that if I buy a 61 LP reissue the issue won't be present.
    •  
    • Jan 17th 2015

not interested in a 70's Greco, Tokai, Edwards, Burnys and the sort?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Jan 17th 2015 edited

Maybe to hold me over before I get a real Gibson. Never played any of them, so I don't know if they're any good or not.
    Ebaying the prices... They're all almost as much as a used Gibson. I think I'd be better off just getting the real deal (and hope it isn't total trash)
    I noticed on the 65 you have removed the pick up cover on the neck DC/79, I have noticed Angus had also done this on his early guitars,can you tell me what difference this makes in sound ? Just curious .That was an informative clip on intonation marcinha ,thanks.
    •  
    • Jan 18th 2015

Posted By: Shakin a legI noticed on the 65 you have removed the pick up cover on the neck DC/79, I have noticed Angus had also done this on his early guitars,can you tell me what difference this makes in sound ? Just curious .That was an informative clip on intonation marcinha ,thanks.

None that I could ever tell. I did it purely because Angus did....this was my 1st guitar in the band DC/79....I was just trying to get as close as possible aesthetically.
    •  
    • Jan 18th 2015

Did the makeover on my guitar this afternoon. Replaced the pickups with some Artec Filtertron style ones. It sounds really great! It took me ages to solder (I'm a complete novice at it), but it works nonetheless :) I also replaced the silver tuning pegs with some black ones.

BEFORE:

photo D95C6BE8-C318-4289-BC5A-684D8EF64D91_zpss2nbzqpx.jpg

AFTER:

photo 1DAF790F-CFB7-448B-AB23-2C26DB985158_zpsot6xnblc.jpg

photo 148FEEBA-ED54-4324-922D-596978B04E78_zpsh4jfd0jg.jpg

photo 0F13D2E1-19E6-49FA-BFEF-1037F9281954_zps9mpxbhu5.jpg

I took the scratchplate off when I was changing the pickups, and decided to leave it off because I think it looks cool without :D
    •  
    • Jan 18th 2015

That red bit on one of the pickups in the close up is just a reflection btw