To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

Wanted to set this up as there are a lot of guitarists on here but not really a place for us to chat about guitars.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: acadacauk
    • Nov 14th 2014

got a gretsch white falcon g6136ds, a fender squire which i removed the crappy pickups and put in a set of lace pickups. (red at the bridge, gold in the middle and blue at the neck.) next year im gonna get a gretsch electromatic double cutaway in firebird red. https://www.absolute...
    Posted By: acadacaukgot a gretsch white falcon g6136ds, a fender squire which i removed the crappy pickups and put in a set of lace pickups. (red at the bridge, gold in the middle and blue at the neck.) next year im gonna get a gretsch electromatic double cutaway in firebird red.https://www.absolute...

Didn't know that Gretsch guitars were that cheap (I know that £400 isn't pocket change, but compared to the prices of Gibson and such it's a good deal)
    I got a Gretsch Committee. Ripped out the shit pick ups and put in some modern Filtertrons. All I want to do now is get rid of the god awful through-body bridge and put on a Schaller wraparound if possible.

Gretsch's lower end guitars aren't worth the price imo. Playability isn't great - necks are way too thick. The higher end models are definitely the way to go.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DC/79
    • Nov 14th 2014 edited

I took a couple of photos of my guitars last week. You can click around and see a lot of them individually, including my latest, a 1976 Gibson LP Custom in a very deep wine red colour!

http://s42.photobuck...

http://s42.photobuck...
    i got a Gretsch Malcolm Young signature, Gibson SG standard, Fender Strat and a martin acoustic.
    Black and White Michael Schenker Dean v, Standard white Dean v, Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet + Various Les Paul, Paul Reed Smith and Strat replicas.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: matirocker
    • Nov 15th 2014 edited

this is me and my Gibson Sg

I have a 2012 sg std in ebony and and a vox vt60 amp,the amp is not the greatest but neither am I.....
    • AC/DC rock music: Richraff
    • Nov 17th 2014

Got various Strats and acoustics, but here's my DC gear:

And my No1 guitar - 61' issue from around 1987, refinished in black.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: CliffFIN
    • Nov 17th 2014

I would like to have two guitars above all: Gretsch Mal signature and a Mosrite Johnny Ramone signature. Bubbling under is a Les Paul Ace Frehley signature. They would not really have to be signatures, those guitars would rock.

I have one acoustic (some never heard brand: Samick) and then I have an Ibanez Roadstar RG (the very same kind of model that Marty McFly used in Back to the future 1 hahaha) and Washburn PS10.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Nov 17th 2014

who wants a signature guitar? wannabies! be your own man instead and just get a good guitar!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: CliffFIN
    • Nov 17th 2014 edited

Well sure, I get your point. But there is the thing that if you like a certain sound - why not cheat a bit at get all the stuff correct to achieve it. And I for one would like to own Mals sig edition - looks cool too.

I ain't afraid to admit it. I ain't about to burst out and create a new sound/scene/genre, I just enjoy playing and do it to relax really.

But sure you can buy a Silvertone Crap-o-caster and build it to your liking and take on the world, but I'll pass. For now.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: satansole
    • Nov 17th 2014

Awesome mate!

Posted By: RichraffGot various Strats and acoustics, but here's my DC gear:

And my No1 guitar - 61' issue from around 1987, refinished in black.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: satansole
    • Nov 17th 2014

I have a 2011 Les Paul Goldtop, thats me In the pic

•  
      AC/DC rock music: jubaluba
    • Nov 17th 2014 edited

I have a wannabe guitar.
    This is the first time anyone outside the closest family have seen it. I've never taken it out of the house.
    Ever since the first time I saw Angus with an SG with lightning inlays I wanted to own one myself.
    10 years later, and many late nights working the graveyard shift at the local supermarket i finally got one.
    It is my favourite guitar. It have the slimmest neck I've ever tried. Fits my short, whimpy fingers perfectly.
    I certainly dont need it, and it does not make me a better player. But it is a lot of fun.
    The amplifier is something my dad built in the early 90's. It is modelled after an old Marshall JCM800.
    My old Squier snuck in the background.

• AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Nov 17th 2014

Some nice guitars there! I'm Godin exclusive. I have 2 LGXT's and a 5th avenue.

Cheers
    •  
    • Nov 17th 2014 edited

I understand, but these wannabie guitars often cost as much as a good guitar anyway.
    I just got a stock SG Standard to cover my wannabie needs :)
    Posted By: marcinhaI understand, but these wannabie guitars often cost as much as a good guitar anyway.
    I just got a stock SG Standard to cover my wannabie needs :)

There is nothing wrong with having your idols guitars down to the T. Especially if you have a collection of guitars you rock on your own.
    Les Paul Standard Model: Cherry Sunburst (1977).
    Kramer Pacer: Black (1990s I believe).
    Fender strat in sunburst and gretsch electromatic.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: gunforhire
    • Nov 17th 2014 edited

This is the only electric guitar I have at the moment. It's an Ibanez GAX30. I got it off of my brother for £50 inc. gigbag and strap which is pretty generous. I'm not old enough to get a job like you guys so I can't go around buying a load of guitars yet.

I really want to save up for and buy an Epiphone G400 in Worn Brown (about £230).

I also have a Tanglewood TW28 CLN which I got from a pawn store for £40 in mint condition.
    And, I have an handmade acoustic that I bought in the streets of Hanoi, Vietnam, for about 15 US dollar, cutaway model, without any truss rod.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Nov 17th 2014

@gunforhire

You should save up and get a full fat Gibson SG instead :)
    Posted By: benji@gunforhire

You should save up and get a full fat Gibson SG instead :)

They're £1000 though! I'll get one when I'm older with a bit more moolah
    I did find a nice one for £600 though (called a Gibson SG 60's Tribute) : http://tinyurl.com/o...
    •  
    • Nov 17th 2014 edited

I have a G400. Bought it when i was 14 with money I earned from movin the lawn, shovelling snow, painting the house... These guitars were much more expensive than they are now back then (at least where I live). Played it everyday until I turned 21. The frets have deep grooves in them but she still plays quite well. At that price, they are very good guitars.

If you want a cheap Gibson, these are (in my opinion) pretty good and reasonably cheap:
    http://www2.gibson.c...

My first Gibson was one of these, in worn cherry. I still have it and love it.
    Full of scratches and dents. And the paint has completely worn off on the backside of the neck and the edges of the body.
    The worn finish comes off pretty easy. And the wood mine is made of is very soft, so it dents very easily. But that doesn't matter to me, as I like weathered guitars.
    It is also very light.

One of my local shops also had one of these recently. It was only slightly more expensive than an Epiphone.
    http://www2.gibson.c...
    Thanks for the info jubaluba :) I think I'll save up for the G400 then because I've heard great things about it (my guitar teacher has one). I've had the Ibanez for 3 years and it's still going strong (neck pickup is dead but I hardly ever use it - I'll see what I can do to fix it) so it's not urgent at the moment.
    How much was the G400 for you and what finish was yours in? I think that the Worn Brown finish looks beautiful
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Nov 17th 2014 edited

Word among different guitar forums are that Epiphones are much better quality than Gibson nowadays. Doesn't surprise me as I've played about 7 or 8 different modern Gibson SGs and they all played like dogshit.

Speaking of SGs, I played a 64 SG bass, the ones where the pickup is next to the neck. Best bass I've ever played and I'm beyond disappointed I couldn't have bought it then and there.
    •  
    • Nov 17th 2014 edited

It is called "G400 deluxe flame top".
    Looks exactly like this (with a few dents and scratches).

I dont remember how much i paid for it, but remember that we got a discount since my dad knew the owner of the shop. It was in the spring of 2002. The sun was shining and I played thunderstruck loud, sloppy and out of tune when I tested it in the store. It was the most expensive G400 model and the only one I could find.
    From then on, where ever I went, the SG followed. It's first gig was when I cut the legs of my prom suit at the christmas prom in 10th grade.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: gunforhire
    • Jan 10th 2015 edited

The wiring in my Ibanez is playing up so I've decided to go for a G-400 as a replacement (I'm still trying to fix the Ibanez so I could use it as a backup). What would you guys recommend; the standard or the Pro version?

I'm thinking the standard because of the Powerage-era brown finish which looks sweet...

but the Pro version has coil splitting (able to use 1/2 of the humbucker as a single-coil which gives you a lot more options tone-wise)

I can get either for around £230. If the Pro version was available in Worn Brown then my mind would be made up already.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: ndaoud360
    • Jan 10th 2015 edited

My guitar:
    Posted By: ndaoud360My guitar:

Dayum! What year/model is that? It looks just like one of the the AY signature models (only without the lightning bolt inlays and bell-shaped tuners)
    Damn, lots of awesome SGs, makes me feel like an amateur with my SG standard.

I've been wanting to obtain some vintage guitars for ages. My wishlist is quite extensive.

I'm just lucky to own one real SG, really. Used to be my dad's. He just gave it to me one day, best gift I ever got.

Next up is upgrading my amp. I'm using this Marshall JCM30, it's a great little tube combo with a great tone, but I really need a bigger beast.

I also have a 90s Fender Jaguar re-issue, built in Japan. It's absolute shit, and can't even stand in the shadow of a vintage Jaguar. The bridge is worn, the frets are crap, I've had the tremolo system fixed several times, but it keeps crapping out on me. I can't decide whether to upgrade it or to just let it rot. I still regret the amount of money I blew on it. The mistakes of youth...
    •  
    • Jan 10th 2015 edited

Posted By: gunforhireI did find a nice one for £600 though (called a Gibson SG 60's Tribute)

perhaps you can try to look for a better deal? I bought a Standard 2012, new in a store for the equivalent of £635.

like this one:

they don't make them anymore and they're hard to find, at least here in Poland, but the 61 Reissue is still available, for £650, here:
    http://www.rnr.pl/p1...
    •  
    • Jan 10th 2015

Posted By: OneTimeLoverI also have a 90s Fender Jaguar re-issue, built in Japan. It's absolute shit

That's odd, I've only heard praise over MIJ 90's Fenders. I have a 94-95 Telecaster Std, it's brilliant.
    •  
    • Jan 10th 2015

sorry for the O/T in he already O but cool T here, but I was wondering if any of you bought any of the truefire.com courses ?

I just bought 50 Bass Grooves You Must Know and 50 R&B Grooves You Must Know. Worth every single cent. They're brilliant.
    Posted By: marcinha
    Posted By: gunforhireI did find a nice one for £600 though (called a Gibson SG 60's Tribute)

perhaps you can try to look for a better deal? I bought a Standard 2012, new in a store for the equivalent of £635.
    they don't make them anymore and they're hard to find, at least here in Poland, but the 61 Reissue is still available, for £650, here:
    http://www.rnr.pl/p1...

I'm going for an Epi G-400 Pro 1966
    •  
    • Jan 10th 2015

Posted By: ndaoud360My guitar:

Looks almost brand new....very nice indeed!

here's my favourite SG. She's a 1971 Standard, with all original parts, including T-Tops. It's the exact same guitar as the Angus original including the green 'snot' tuners that were originally on his. it's no wonder a titch like Angus loved this guitar, the neck is ridiculously fast & thin. It seems odd at 1st because your hand feels way too big, it really is that small!

• AC/DC rock music: BASSment
    • Jan 10th 2015

I used to have a black Gibson SG Special from 1993, with an ebony fretboard. I bought it second hand, and the previous owner had replaced the bridge pickup with something better, but I could never figure out what it really was. Sold it way back (in 2003 I think) because I didn't use it much...maybe I shouldn't have.

My main instruments now are a an early '90s five string Stingray bass, and a 2011 Fender Precision. I also have a sixties Gretsch Duo Jet, a double cutaway, and an Epiphone Les Paul, but it usually takes only 15 minutes for me to find the guitar boring and I switch to bass instead.

There's also a defretted Peavey bass somewhere and I've gone through some Ibanez basses over the years etc...but yeah.
    Posted By: BASSmentI also have a sixties Gretsch Duo Jet, a double cutaway

If you're ever considering selling this in the future, let me know. :)
    •  
    • Jan 10th 2015 edited

I've got an Epiphone Les Paul 100 as you can see below:

Just today I ordered a couple of dirt cheap Artec Filtertron style humbucker sized pickups to hopefully give me a bit of a Malcolm crunch.
    @benji that's an awesome guitar! LPs are a bit too heavy for me but they certainly look and sound the business.
    Are you getting the pickups from ebay? That's the only place I've been able to find them.
    •  
    • Jan 10th 2015

Posted By: gunforhireLPs are a bit too heavy for me

yeah, I've had this one since I was about 12 years old, and boy did it feel heavy when I first started to use it! 8 years on and it still does get a bit heavy when I use it for a long period of time.

Posted By: gunforhireAre you getting the pickups from ebay? That's the only place I've been able to find them.

Indeed, these are the ones I ordered (in gold):

[Link to eBay item]
    some great guitars in this thread..

my current setup...

and me having a rock out in lounge..

I played on my dad's Les Paul for a few months, I just couldn't handle it. My back and especially my neck hurt so much. I'm kind of skinny, so I need a light guitar, like Angus does.

Is a Jet Firebird heavy? I've never even held one.
    •  
    • Jan 10th 2015

A Gretsch Firebird isn't too heavy, they had chambered bodies and that's why Mal had the feedback problems in the 70's because his guitar would ring forever, hence the socks!
    If you want heavy, check out Les Paul Customs. I have 2, a 1974 Black Beauty and a 1976 in a dark red wine colour. The 74 is dead on 11 lbs and the 76 is 11.2 lbs. Both play and sound amazing, but 90 mins onstage is a pull on the shoulder!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jan 10th 2015

I don't play very well, but I love guitars. Here's some of them:

• AC/DC rock music: BASSment
    • Jan 10th 2015

Posted By: Spellbound

If I ever do, you will be the first to know.

Don't hold your breath, though. ;) :D

When I bought it, the shop (maybe the most respected vintage guitar shop around these parts) listed it as a '69. After going through the details, it seems like a '62 with Supertrons modded in. Everything else (the serial number tag, other details) speak for the earlier date. Duo Jets came out of the factory with Supertrons installed around '69. The sound is a bit different from Filtertrons (a bit more gain and they're somewhat more trebly), but they're not bad...
    I can't handle a Les Paul for more than 10 minutes, I kid ye not. I'm also not crazy about the sound. I love how the SG sounds though, it's like the Fender among Gibsons, and I love Fenders.

On my wishlist:

Travis Bean 500 (aluminium guitar)
    Vintage 70s SG
    "Les Paul Custom" SG (three humbuckers, tremolo)
    Jet Firebird
    Fender Duosonic (the only Fender with Humbuckers AFAIK - amazing sound, my friend has one)
    Fender Telecaster
    Fender Mustang
    Vintage Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster. Might even go for a Jaguar Baritone.
    Gibson Firebird

Making that list made me feel hopeless.
    Posted By: BASSment
    Posted By: Spellbound

If I ever do, you will be the first to know.

Don't hold your breath, though. ;) :D

When I bought it, the shop (maybe the most respected vintage guitar shop around these parts) listed it as a '69. After going through the details, it seems like a '62 with Supertrons modded in. Everything else (the serial number tag, other details) speak for the earlier date. Duo Jets came out of the factory with Supertrons installed around '69. The sound is a bit different from Filtertrons (a bit more gain and they're somewhat more trebly), but they're not bad...

That just gives me time to save up the cash. ;)

Not necessarily. I've seen Jets from 67 with the early 60s layout (vertical instead of horizontal switch layout on the upper horn) come installed with Supertrons. Then again... It could be another modded Jet. The seller said it was original though.