To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Oct 4th 2014 edited

First off thank you to Tony for being a true fan and helping another fan out with his ticket.

I'll skip all of the bits and pieces and cut to the real business of the day. A new AC/DC song and a new AC/DC video.

The first listen to Rock Or Bust was via a PA in a big hall. Not perfect listening conditions but it was enough to get some immediate impressions. The opening sounded rough and raw and reminded me instantly of a FOTW sound in terms of guitar tone. Brian's vocals are as high as hell, the man is fucking wailing, with a trademark "Are you ready?" Prior to the verse beginning. The chorus came across as a big gang vocal style and was repeated three times. Two solos from Ang but very hard to say anything about them on one listen.

About 30 minutes after this first playback we were ushered into the studio. The set consisted of a small circular stage with five banked rows of terraced standing all around the stage. At last count the 12 members of this site present were spread around the set. On the top ring were two bars as part of the set. The stage was no more than five metres in diameter and the front row of fans were no more than one metre from the stage. The edge of the stage was ringed with small lights, think of the TTWIWRnR video. Lots of strong lighting above the stage and five major cameras plus still photographers.

After a few minutes of stage setting and technical facing the boys made their entrance. Angus in a green velvet suit with a brown cap, Brian looking supremely fit and happy, Cliff looking like he hadn't aged a day. Stevie stood in on the left hand side, and Bob Richards was sat where The Rudd should be. It had been explained earlier in the day that Phil had had to drop out due to a family emergency, no further information was given other than Brian restating this in a little speech to the assembled fans. Brian mentioned Mal and his illness and that Mal had wanted the band to continue, Brian welcomed Stevie into the band and described him as a member of the band. This was a clear difference from when Brian introduced Bob Richards on drums. Both received a rousing reception.

The first run playback through the main PA on the set was much clearer. There is a real roar, a real edge to the opening riff. The tone was heavier than anything on Black Ice. BO'B seems to have toughened up the sound. A great fat drum sound brings some enormous bounce to the track and Cliff's bass is really pumping through the verse, I mean really pumping. The lyrics were displayed on two screens behind us so that Brian didn't miss any, by his own confession, it also meant that I could get a good look at them. The first thing to say is that they make perfect coherent sense and it will be possible to sing along without risking a drop in IQ. The song is about 'being in a guitar band ...playing across the land ... Keeping you up all night...turning the amps up high'. It's about rock and rocking. Obviously. The chorus is fucking massive and everything I want in a fucking rock and roll song.

In rock we trust
    It's Rock or Bust
    In rock we trust
    It's Rock or Bust
    In rock we trust
    It's Ro-ock or bust
    In rock and roll we trust
    It's Rock or Bust!

Brian is wailing his arse off in this song, high as hell and genuinely pushing himself. He sounds amazing. Really. Big gang vocals to back him up in the chorus. Stevie was also belting out the chorus. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus and Ang's first solo. Very hard to pick anything out, certainly it is a proper solo not just a few notes strung together, certainly seems to take you right up into the third chorus. Following which Ang breaks out another solo to close the song.

Within two run through every fan in the place had the chorus down and you could see the delight on the boys faces, Brian was cooking with it all and clearly having a ball. He and Angus seemed really close throughout the shoot and it was Brian who was with Stevie making sure he was good. Brian and Ang sloped off for a fag after the second playback. At this point I managed speak to Brian very briefly and meet Stevie and shake his hand and welcome him back into the band,he said a very sincere thank you. Stevie rocked his fucking arse off on stage, the man is going to be great.

Two more play backs with the whole band before a final playback without Brian and Mal and we were basically done. Slightly uncomfortably for me at the end David Mallet's right hand man Ian got the crowd to chant for Malcolm.

Angus seemed a little subdued during the shoot but thanked the fans at the end. He looked well but I have to say I really felt for him up there 'on his own', I hope that everyone can help share the load.

Final thoughts on the video. It is going to look great. Every fan on the set will be in video.

Final thoughts on the song. I can see this being the set opener. I can see Ang walking on and letting that riff out. It has a great big singalong life affirming, rock affirming chorus. At exactly 3 minutes long it is short and punchy, and the chorus melody gets into your head. It's a good song. It maybe be even better than that.

The greatest rock and roll band are back and they sound and look ready to go. Not only that but they may well have a cracking album under their arms.
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2014

The previous day the boys filmed a green screen video for Play Ball.

If anyone has any questions on the day just post them below.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Johnnysg
    • Oct 4th 2014

How did they enter? They walk down the stairs in the pic? Did you get anything signed? Anyone say anything about a release date for the vid? Thanks for the review :)
    • AC/DC rock music: JC/DC
    • Oct 4th 2014

Great review there Jem.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Oct 4th 2014

Nice one, Jem! I can totally vouch for all that. Glad my impression of the vocals matches your recollection. I mean, if someone said, 'what album did the vocals most sound like?' - you'd probably say Back In Black! OK so at normal volume perhaps more likely just a continuation of the great vocals on BI (but maybe even better) - but fucking hell Brian sounds intense on this song..
    Silly, but what did they give you to eat?
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2014

They just walked down the red stairs to left on the pic that has been released. Right beside Rocker and me. Very natural and right in amongst the fans.
    • Oct 4th 2014

Posted By: ruffstuff88Silly, but what did they give you to eat?

ha ha ha - not sure if it's my late night bottle of Cotes du Rhone whilst catching Match Of The Day, but that's brilliant! (mind you I do write a food blog).

Paper bags containing:

Sandwich (focaccia style bread): ham & mustard, cheese & pickle, or tuna mayo

Kit Kat

Apple or banana

Water

Crisps (various flavours)

Me being a fucking greedy bastard I ate mine then grabbed another one to take home..
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2014

Posted By: ruffstuff88Silly, but what did they give you to eat?

Well I got cheese and pickle, cheese and onion crisps, kit kat, Apple and a bottle of water. Very nice :)
    In your opinion which is the better track play ball or rock or bust?
    Kit Kat? Gutted!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: recimo
    • Oct 4th 2014 edited

@Jem
    What about rumors that tour starts in march? Did you hear anything?
    DId they say when will video be out?
    • AC/DC rock music: shocker
    • Oct 4th 2014

Posted By: rockerollerIn your opinion which is the better track play ball or rock or bust?

This was a interesting question.
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2014

I think it would be unfair to make that call having heard only 1 min of Play Ball. They are also very different songs. If you like the more harder heavier AC/DC then RoB my be to your taste, if you tend to like more of a groove then PB may swing it.

For me both songs have put a massive smile on my face. Too early to say.
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2014

Posted By: recimo@Jem
    What about rumors that tour starts in march? Did you hear anything?
    DId they say when will video be out?

No one said anything about the tour or the release date of the video. I didn't think to ask!
    Thank you for that Jem, that was awesome.

I just saw LIVE AT RIVER PLATE blu ray complete after a while. I'm so ready for this. Bring it on.

AC/DC THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD, WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT, KEEPIN' IT REAL SINCE DAY 1 , 41 YEARS AGO.

Fuckin hell, this is so exciting.
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2014

Cheers. Hoping to share the good times around.
    So far the news reported re: the music, sounds great. My fingers are getting sore from keeping them crossed that they'll be delivering one hell of a record. BUYV is the last album by them that I personally enjoyed almost every song. I feel like a frickin kid waiting for Christmas right now dammit.
    At least we know what everyone had in their sandwiches.
    Cheers Jem
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Johnnysg
    • Oct 4th 2014

Also jem did brian actually say "are you ready" as the opening line or were just referencing that track?
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2014

Brian says, well belts out would be more accurate, two phrases before the verse starts. The first one was impossible for me to work out. The second is definitely "Are you ready?".
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Foeller
    • Oct 4th 2014

Thanks, Jem and 900! The feedback is incredibly awesome!

Questions:
    - How long is the solo? BI length or longer?
    - If you had to compare the track with one previous AC/DC song, which would you pick?
    - Maybe an unfair question, but if you had to pick one, what did really stand out about the song? The riff, drums, the solo etc.?
    - Is there any "plot" in the video or just rock and rolling?
    • Oct 4th 2014

Posted By: FoellerQuestions:
    - If you had to compare the track with one previous AC/DC song, which would you pick?
    - Maybe an unfair question, but if you had to pick one, what did really stand out about the song? The riff, drums, the solo etc.?

Solo is quite short but perfect for the song. Not too short, and has a lovely shift halfway through I recall.. (Jem?)

Impossible to compare with one track after only a few spins. It stomps like Back In Black though!

Also hard to name a standout element to the track, as it is so coherent. Massive guitars and drums, insane vocals!

No plot. Probably just sandwiches.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Foeller
    • Oct 4th 2014

Posted By: 900
    Posted By: FoellerQuestions:

Solo is quite short but perfect for the song. Not too short, and has a lovely shift halfway through I recall.. (Jem?)

Impossible to compare with one track after only a few spins. It stomps like Back In Black though!

Also hard to name a standout element to the track, as it is so coherent. Massive guitars and drums, insane vocals!

No plot. Probably just sandwiches.

Cheers! I really appreciate it. Now the tough question: Could you sing the song and upload it? :P
    • Oct 4th 2014

Posted By: FoellerCheers! I really appreciate it. Now the tough question: Could you sing the song and upload it? :P

I can only sing after 2 bottles of wine. I've tanned 1 but am now orf to beddingtons!

Cheers Foeller!
    Damn fine recollection Jem!

Sounds like a wonderful experience.You really have me on edge can't wait for it.

Posted By: matirockerThank you for that Jem, that was awesome.

I just saw LIVE AT RIVER PLATE blu ray complete after a while. I'm so ready for this. Bring it on.

AC/DC THE GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD, WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT, KEEPIN' IT REAL SINCE DAY 1 , 41 YEARS AGO.

Fuckin hell, this is so exciting.

I took the plunge and finally bought the CD, have to say it does slightly better my DVD rip, sounds more full.

Fucking ready to buy some new AC/DC!!!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocker
    • Oct 4th 2014

Well after a little snooze on the coach home after being awake for nearly 36 hours str8 I have come to the conclusion that all the travelling and lack of sleep was so fuckin worth it. Jem....great review no need to add anything. I got a FOTW feel about it as well. The riff is just full of crunchy goodness.
    We had laughter, we had lumps in our throats( well I did when Brian was talking about Mal) we had more laughter, we had spot the welshman, we had beers, we had serial killers, we had hugs, we had more beers, we had who the fuck are YOU, we had who the fuck invited them? We had more beer, we had the day of our lives and I wouldn't have missed it for anything. To the people of acdcfans.net I salute you and bring on the tour already. ROADTRIP ANYONE???
    • AC/DC rock music: Bob
    • Oct 4th 2014

Wish I could have been there, sounds like a dream come true!
    I got one question, what did Stevie play?
    Mals Gretch, Mal signature Gretch, or something different?
    For all the FOTW comparisons, I'm shocked the haters haven't said anything. I for one am even more excited now due to those claims. Bring it on!!!!!!
    I personally hope it doesn't sound like FOTW , if the guitar tone does fine but the rest ?
    But in all honesty I don't care what it sounds like , it will rock we will all love it and bring on the fucking world tour from the greatest band of all time for the last time !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm trying to recall what the reactions were like when RNRT was first heard. I know there's been lots of debate about dates when snippets were released but, was the fan reaction this excited?
    • AC/DC rock music: Bob
    • Oct 4th 2014

FOTW is one of my fav. Albums!
    I'm hoping it doesn't end up like BUYV!
    I'll take BUYV over the last few. Either way, a band (regardless of this caliber or not) at this stage of their game releasing a full album of fantastic music is highly unlikely. Saying that, if any band can do it, it's these guys.
    Posted By: sfadden30I personally hope it doesn't sound like FOTW , if the guitar tone does fine but the rest ?

Well, obviously, from the Play Ball clips we know it sounds better than Fly production wise, (Cliff is audible,Brian is clear and loud).

I believe the comparison's are more about the vibe's and style of the riffs rather than the actual production and sound.The band aren't dumb enough to that twice I wouldn't think lol

I love the guitars on Fly, and would thrilled if the tone had that much balls again.

Time will tell.
    After looking at the pictures with everyone in their seats, I realized how tiny that place is. About how many people were there total? Seems really small, which makes it even more incredible that you guys got in.
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2014

Posted By: FoellerThanks, Jem and 900! The feedback is incredibly awesome!

Questions:

Both solos are about 30 secs ish.

For me the track has touches of FOTW and BIB in the riff. This is NOT to say it sounds like either of those two tracks but is 'heavier than anything on BI I would say.

Opening riff and Brian.
    Rocking and rolling. Not just involved :)
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2014

Posted By: BobWish I could have been there, sounds like a dream come true!
    I got one question, what did Stevie play?
    Mals Gretch, Mal signature Gretch, or something different?

The red one. Firebird?
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2014

Posted By: BarbuttisbeardI'm trying to recall what the reactions were like when RNRT was first heard. I know there's been lots of debate about dates when snippets were released but, was the fan reaction this excited?

This sounds better than RnRT to me. Much more organic. No idea about's longevity.
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2014

The FOTW reference is to the sound and type of riff only. No shitty FOTW production on this baby.
    Fantastic review both Jem and 900! Was Brian wearing a t or a shirt? It´s probably what he'll be wearing the whole tour, and I'm a sucker for this kind of useless shit.

Tight jeans or old man jeans as in Donington?
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2014

Posted By: nitroangus23
    Posted By: sfadden30I personally hope it doesn't sound like FOTW , if the guitar tone does fine but the rest ?

Well, obviously, from the Play Ball clips we know it sounds better than Fly production wise, (Cliff is audible,Brian is clear and loud).

I believe the comparison's are more about the vibe's and style of the riffs rather than the actual production and sound.The band aren't dumb enough to that twice I wouldn't think lol

I love the guitars on Fly, and would thrilled if the tone had that much balls again.

Time will tell.

The production sounds fucking immense. BI but harder edged I would say. More crunch in the riff. Even more bounce in the drums and Cliff is fucking pumping. Please bear in mind that we heard this track over a PA at pretty good volume and not through headphones but Rock or Bust sounded like I would produce the band. I can't fault it. The tone on the opening was fucking perfect.
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2014

Posted By: BallToucherFantastic review both Jem and 900! Was Brian wearing a t or a shirt? It´s probably what he'll be wearing the whole tour, and I'm a sucker for these kind of useless shit.

Tight jeans or old man jeans as in Donington?

Black tnshirts, tight black jeans, black cowboy boots. He is looking great!
    Niiiiiiiice.
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2014

Posted By: moosefball77Jem, was the opening riff an A chord like Shoot to Thrill or an E like Walk All Over You? If you saying the opening chord is like FOTW then that by far is the most gain Angus ever had in a riff. I can't imagine it being that heavy at this stage but I maybe it has the tone like Spellbound. For some reason I love that opening A chord in Spellbound. Clean but mean.

I couldn't say about the opening chord other thanks sounded heavy like the opening chord on FOTW, that kind or roar. This was over a PA so I am expecting something a little different when we get it in our hands but certainly RoB has a good heavy tone.
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2014

Posted By: BallToucherNiiiiiiiice.

Also said Hi.
    Great day and good review Jem. Not much to add to what Jem, 900 and rocker have already posted but it was another fantastic day as part of the acdc family
    •  
    • Oct 5th 2014

Come on Ulster spill the beans. We're all dying to know..kit kat or mint club?????
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BoogieMan
    • Oct 5th 2014

Wait...sleeveless shirt thingy like Black Ice, or black dress shirt like Ballbreaker? Or something in between? lol.

At least the tight back jeans from BB/SUL are back!