To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jan 9th 2013

Shredding is unmusical. If you can't move me or make me move you have missed the point. At his best Angus does both.
    I wouldn't really lump EVH with the usual bedroom shredder or actually pretty much any other shredder

EVH is one of the most tasteful rock guitar 'shredders' ever, hands down. He's a basically a fast and flashy Eric Clapton

when I listen to his solos, I never think like "wow this is some wanky sh*t" or "yawn" like I usually do with shred solos. he pretty much broke the fucking ground when he came on the scene, tapping, whammy, harmonics, scales, all that flashy shit, he somehow nails it without ever sounding wanky. you know it's eddie when you hear him and you know it's not eddie when you hear BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZWANKWANKWANKBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz...
    angus used to say eddie was sounding like he was doing exercises...he sounded kinda jealous there but I dunno

now of course angus speaks very highly of him...probably because eddie did the same of ac/dc, waaay back

hmmmm

---------------------------------------------------------
    AC/DC played on a bill with Van Halen back in 1978 or 1979 for a Bill Graham Day on the Green show. I didn’t know much about Van Halen then except that I remember seeing film clips of them, especially the one of Eddie playing the solo piece, “Eruption,” and I was very impressed. I didn’t meet Eddie until years later when there was a Monsters of Rock open-air festival in England. I was shocked to hear he liked my playing, because I’ve never rated myself as a guitarist.

Eddie is an innovator. When I grew up we had a lot of guys from England who were great players, like Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck. And then, of course, when Jimi Hendrix came along, he changed the game. I’d put Eddie in that category of being an innovator like Hendrix. He changed the game for his style of playing. When Eddie came along he spawned so many imitators. Like Hendrix, suddenly you started to see people wanting to buy the same guitars he played and also play his licks. He turned the rule book upside down in terms of his approach. There was a lot of experimentation to his playing. Eddie also crosses into that avant-garde thing, which puts him in the same category as Hendrix.

“Eruption” is a favorite track. He’s got everything characteristic of his playing in that song–there’s a bit of everything.

When Jimi Hendrix came along it was like, “Where did this guy come from?” and I think that was the same feeling with Eddie. When Eddie appeared on the scene, every guitarist I ran into said, “You’ve gotta hear this guy!”

—Angus Young

oh angus, first the whole itunes thing and now this
    Posted By: JemShredding is unmusical.

What's your opinion of Ang's solos live from about '76 to some of '78?

Shredding is awesome when it's tasteful.
    angus even took cues from eddie sometimes

a la cathedral lol
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rocker
    • Jan 9th 2013

"Shredders" are for getting rid of junk mail, or credit card bills, or a slang term for Shredded Wheat.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jan 9th 2013

Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: JemShredding is unmusical.

What's your opinion of Ang's solos live from about '76 to some of '78?

Shredding is awesome when it's tasteful.

Shredding for me is the extremely fast playing of loads of notes that is not melodic and does not progress the song and plays no part in the story of the song. Ang for me is absolutely one of the best at playing the right note at the right time. Even when the notes come flying at you that section remains very much part of the song.
    shreddies=slightly soiled underpants
    I hadn't heard that one before, Carlos.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Jan 9th 2013

That's a good one, Pod; Yeah, I know those Shreddies.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Jan 10th 2013

Posted By: NickGrouwenangus used to say eddie was sounding like he was doing exercises...he sounded kinda jealous there but I dunno

now of course angus speaks very highly of him...probably because eddie did the same of ac/dc, waaay back

hmmmm

AC/DC played on a bill with Van Halen back in 1978 or 1979 for a Bill Graham Day on the Green show. I didn’t know much about Van Halen then except that I remember seeing film clips of them, especially the one of Eddie playing the solo piece, “Eruption,” and I was very impressed. I didn’t meet Eddie until years later when there was a Monsters of Rock open-air festival in England. I was shocked to hear he liked my playing, because I’ve never rated myself as a guitarist.

Eddie is an innovator. When I grew up we had a lot of guys from England who were great players, like Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Jeff Beck. And then, of course, when Jimi Hendrix came along, he changed the game. I’d put Eddie in that category of being an innovator like Hendrix. He changed the game for his style of playing. When Eddie came along he spawned so many imitators. Like Hendrix, suddenly you started to see people wanting to buy the same guitars he played and also play his licks. He turned the rule book upside down in terms of his approach. There was a lot of experimentation to his playing. Eddie also crosses into that avant-garde thing, which puts him in the same category as Hendrix.

“Eruption” is a favorite track. He’s got everything characteristic of his playing in that song–there’s a bit of everything.

When Jimi Hendrix came along it was like, “Where did this guy come from?” and I think that was the same feeling with Eddie. When Eddie appeared on the scene, every guitarist I ran into said, “You’ve gotta hear this guy!”

—Angus Young

oh angus, first the whole itunes thing and now this

I've never seen that interview. And to be honest, that don't sound like Angus at all! Not just in what he says about Eddie and other players, but also what he says in general, and how he says it!!
    Not here now?
    Posted By: NickOfTimeNot here now?

Fuking YouTube blocked it in most countries I'm afraid.
    Yeah, that quote doesn't sound like Angus at all.

But what is this "Big Horn" demo being spoken of on the previous page? Good quality unreleased tracks from 1989 by the sound of it? Please tell me I can find this somewhere!
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotYeah, that quote doesn't sound like Angus at all.

But what is this "Big Horn" demo being spoken of on the previous page? Good quality unreleased tracks from 1989 by the sound of it? Please tell me I can find this somewhere!

Not AC/DC demos, Stevie was in a band called Little Bighorn and recorded a demo tape in '89.

Nothing ever came of it outside of the tape as far as I know, but along with the Johnson City '88 bootleg I was given great copies of the demos from a friend of Stevie's.

Songs are pretty good actually and quality is great, despite not being intended for release.

Have them uploaded somewhere if you really are interested in them.
    Posted By: nitroangus23
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotYeah, that quote doesn't sound like Angus at all.

Not AC/DC demos, Stevie was in a band called Little Bighorn and recorded a demo tape in '89.

Nothing ever came of it outside of the tape as far as I know, but along with the Johnson City '88 bootleg I was given great copies of the demos from a friend of Stevie's.

Songs are pretty good actually and quality is great, despite not being intended for release.

Have them uploaded somewhere if you really are interested in them.

Oh, I see.

I mean, if they're really "better than anything after Flick", I am curious...
    Production wise, they sound pretty good, song writing wise wouldn't go that far though. Production is better than Fly and Video,but then again not exactly a hard milestone to surpass now is it?

I'll dig up a link for you shortly.
    The singer very much reminds me of the singer from The Black Crowes,which were a pretty good band back in the late 80's early 90's.
    Posted By: nitroangus23The singer very much reminds me of the singer from The Black Crowes,which were a pretty good band back in the late 80's early 90's.

Didn't they do that song Remedy? That was a good one.