To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

• AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Jan 4th 2019

I just bought this...

[Link to eBay item]

no idea as to whether I overpaid as impossible to price similar transactions, but LTBR was my very first ACDC album that I bought (on holiday in Spain as a kid) and its one I regularly listen to 35 years + later. So I am very happy to now own this tiny piece of RNR history :)
    There are several copies of the USA “presswell” Test press of LTBR it comes up for sale every now and then

I’ve got a copy already.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Jan 4th 2019

Posted By: nimetaI just bought this...

[Link to eBay item]

no idea as to whether I overpaid as impossible to price similar transactions, but LTBR was my very first ACDC album that I bought (on holiday in Spain as a kid) and its one I regularly listen to 35 years + later. So I am very happy to now own this tiny piece of RNR history :)
    Nice purchase :)

[Link to eBay item]

Yes that's a really nice pick up, well done mate.
    • Jan 14th 2019

Just picked up IALWTTT NZ 7" on Discogs :)
    •  
    • Jan 14th 2019

Niiiiice :) Great pick up!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Jan 14th 2019

just bought this sucka
    https://www.discogs....

and this
    https://www.discogs....

need some more bootlegs
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Jan 14th 2019

[Link to eBay item]

Seems like a fair price to me. I sold mine for $317, but it didn't have a cue sheet, and was in a newer cardboard sleeve.
    •  
    • Jan 14th 2019

Geez Louise, this is either delusions of grandeur or someone waiting for the biggest sucker around. I guess I should expect stuff like this on eBay.

[Link to eBay item]
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Jan 14th 2019

Posted By: InfernoGeez Louise, this is either delusions of grandeur or someone waiting for the biggest sucker around. I guess I should expect stuff like this on eBay.

[Link to eBay item]

That's shocking. I reckon that the compilation album with the Dave Evans version of Can I Sit Next To You Girl is more scarce than this.

Check out this abomination...

[Link to eBay item]

I hope to God nobody buys this.
    •  
    • Jan 14th 2019 edited

Posted By: GoulashCheck out this abomination...

[Link to eBay item]

I hope to God nobody buys this.
    I wish more artists would participate in programs that take down forgeries.

I’ve seen a handful of big AC/DC fans (the faces you see on Facebook all the time, I’ve met some of them too - nice people) proudly showing off a ‘signed’ item in their collection. I haven’t the heart to tell them that their prized possession is a forgery. If they were to ever ask, I’d give them the shitty news but I can’t bring myself to volunteer the information.

I won’t, however, hold back on calling out thieving pricks within the AC/DC fan community who knowingly seek to rip off other fans.
    •  
    • Jan 14th 2019 edited

If You Want Blood Splatter now $2,000 US:
    [Link to eBay item]

Going $2500?
    [Link to eBay item]
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Jan 14th 2019

I remember once seeing a signed copy of FTAR with all band members, including Bon!!!
    • Jan 17th 2019

I bid on this but didn't win it. Wasn't sure how to value it, but I think the winning price looks OK to me...

[Link to eBay item]

Its hard to know on these misprints, cos each one is unique in itself, but there are many different misprints of many different versions. But I love powerage so would have liked to own this (the auction ended in the middle of the night my time and I wasn't going to set my alarm for this)
    •  
    • Jan 17th 2019

That's a really interesting misprint - never seen one like it before. Now officially worth £86.00.
    Misprints on labels never sell for much it seems.

Misprints on sleeves can sell for big money though.
    • Jan 18th 2019

I had a mooch through some of my stuff today and found some lovely stuff that I'd completely forgotten that I had. I really need to do a database
    •  
    • Jan 18th 2019 edited

Posted By: GoulashI had a mooch through some of my stuff today and found some lovely stuff that I'd completely forgotten that I had. I really need to do a database

Here's a simplified template if you want to download it. I liked to make the catalog number a hyperlink to Discogs. Format (CD, LP etc) tabs are along the bottom.

https://drive.google...
    • Jan 19th 2019

Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: GoulashI had a mooch through some of my stuff today and found some lovely stuff that I'd completely forgotten that I had. I really need to do a database

Here's a simplified template if you want to download it. I liked to make the catalog number a hyperlink to Discogs. Format (CD, LP etc) tabs are along the bottom.

https://drive.google...

Thanks so much for that. Now I've got no excuse
    Just got my copy of the white Mexico For Those About To Rock.....
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and just starting out on my AC/DC collecting adventure. I've got a few bits and pieces but would really like to add a rare item to my collection to give me the motivation to keep going.

Any suggestions from the hard core collectors here on a great piece to start with? And any tips or pitfalls to avoid?

Is this a decent price for this record? [Link to eBay item]
    • AC/DC rock music: Dono
    • 6 days ago

Posted By: DCcollectaHello everyone, I'm new to the forum and just starting out on my AC/DC collecting adventure. I've got a few bits and pieces but would really like to add a rare item to my collection to give me the motivation to keep going.

Any suggestions from the hard core collectors here on a great piece to start with? And any tips or pitfalls to avoid?

Is this a decent price for this record?[Link to eBay item]

Welcome!! thats a good start as you looking for vinyl, thats also my favorite and unique collectable format.
    Anyway, the let there be rock purple its a great one indeed, but condition matter, dont buy an lp just because is rare, need to be also in vg+ condition, if isnt, wait for another copy!
    • 6 days ago

this is not bad, 192883639791
    also without inserts its a classic
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DCcollecta
    • 6 days ago edited

Hi Dono, thanks for the welcome. I saw that one too [Link to eBay item] , but didn't this one come with a postcard and letter? Is it hard to find this one with both those extra parts?
    • 6 days ago edited

Posted By: DCcollectaHi Dono, thanks for the welcome. I saw that one too[Link to eBay item], but didn't this one come with a postcard and letter? Is it hard to find this one with both those extra parts?

that promo with both inserts is really hard to find. will say that only 25% have the inserts... and i think that also by release not all copies got it. but well, for 100 euro its pretty nice too without inserts, or wait a copy with inserts, thers one actually i think, on ebay, for about 400-500!?!
    •  
    • 6 days ago

Dono, looking at that Live From The Atlantic Studios Promo LP you mentioned - [Link to eBay item] - does that LP sleeve look suspicious to you?

The item appears to have a back cover 'stuck' / 'glued' on as you would expect with a legitimate copy of this, but the rest of the sleeve looks really strange to me - almost 'too new' and a white colour that I wouldn't expect to see. If you check some of the other photos, there's a fold in the sleeve above the paste-on that I would not expect to be present...

Anyone else who has this LP see what I'm referring to?
    • 6 days ago

Posted By: bonlivesDono, looking at that Live From The Atlantic Studios Promo LP you mentioned -[Link to eBay item]- does that LP sleeve look suspicious to you?

The item appears to have a back cover 'stuck' / 'glued' on as you would expect with a legitimate copy of this, but the rest of the sleeve looks really strange to me - almost 'too new' and a white colour that I wouldn't expect to see. If you check some of the other photos, there's a fold in the sleeve above the paste-on that I would not expect to be present...

you right, i dont see it at first look. look like thers a white tape on the top and down borders, maybe to fix the cover? i dont check it cause i already buy from this seller and was all right. i think can send a message and asking more info about. its probably legit, you can ask matrix too..
    •  
    • 6 days ago

Oh yes, you're right - it does appear to be white tape. I was thinking the crisp white colour was underneath the paste-on, but it's actually on top of it. Makes sense. But a poor repair job!

Speaking of repairs, I tend to leave any tears in sleeves alone and don't attempt to fix them. If I have a tear that's at risk of ripping open more, I'll cut the long corner of a cereal box and trim it to size to slip inside an LP sleeve and prevent the vinyl from poking through the rip - works well.
    My LAAS only has the letter, but I’m happy with that.
    •  
    • 5 days ago edited

Posted By: bonlivesDono, looking at that Live From The Atlantic Studios Promo LP you mentioned -[Link to eBay item]- does that LP sleeve look suspicious to you?

I always had a rule that if an eBay seller posted crappy pictures, there was probably a reason, so I stayed away. If you've got something really good, you would highlight it in order to get the most value. If you've got something bad, you'd want to hide as much as you can in order to get the most value.
    •  
    • 5 days ago

Posted By: DCcollectaHello everyone, I'm new to the forum and just starting out on my AC/DC collecting adventure. I've got a few bits and pieces but would really like to add a rare item to my collection to give me the motivation to keep going.

Is this a decent price for this record?[Link to eBay item]

That cover is pretty jacked up. The cover is what is so special about that LP, so my advice would be to look for one in better condition.
    •  
    • 5 days ago

Posted By: tomscotlandMy LAAS only has the letter, but I’m happy with that.
    Same here. I wouldn't mind a reproduction of the postcard just for (almost) completeness.

Posted By: InfernoI always had a rule that if an eBay seller posted crappy pictures, there was probably a reason, so I stayed away. If you've got something really good, you would highlight it in order to get the most value. If you've got something bad, you'd want to hide as much as you can in order to get the most value.
    Agreed. The images of the LAAS are pretty poor, but the seller *did* mention there's been a split repair. Just looked strange on the images until I figured out what was going on.

Posted By: InfernoThat cover is pretty jacked up. The cover is what is so special about that LP, so my advice would be to look for one in better condition.
    Welcome to the forum @DCcollecta. Probably worth hunting down a copy with a sleeve in better shape. Feel free to post anything you're looking at and the knowledgeable and friendly collectors here will be happy to help. Good luck with collecting... hope you're cashed up!
    I’ve an original LAAS with a reply card and letter both orig as well if anyone needs any info on them.
    Thanks for the warm welcome and advice all.

Generally speaking, how prolific is counterfeiting in the world of AC/DC collecting? And by counterfeiting, I mean deliberate attempts to pass something off that is fake as being the real thing, not bootlegs.
    This Canadian Powerage red vinyl looks nice.

$58 seems on the cheap side too? [Link to eBay item]
    Posted By: DCcollectaThanks for the warm welcome and advice all.

Generally speaking, how prolific is counterfeiting in the world of AC/DC collecting? And by counterfeiting, I mean deliberate attempts to pass something off that is fake as being the real thing, not bootlegs.

Fraudulent items are everywhere but that's just my opinion. I almost got done over once but that was my fault for being silly and not doing my due diligence plus I was fairly new to the collecting scene at the time, luckily for me I eventually got all of my money refunded but it was a stressful process.
    Since then I've made sure that I do my due diligence in checking an items authenticity as much as I possibly can and I have purchased quite a few things since without any issues.
    My advice is to do what your doing now and ask plenty of questions and get plenty of opinions from experienced collectors and educate yourself as best you can about the item(s) you wish to purchase. There are some very knowledgable, helpful and friendly people on this forum that will be more than happy to help you.
    • 4 days ago

Posted By: DCcollectaThis Canadian Powerage red vinyl looks nice.

$58 seems on the cheap side too?[Link to eBay item]

This is not bad indeed, fair price too. Actually this record come originally with an hype sticker on the shrink, thats what make the difference on the price.
    •  
    • 3 days ago edited

Posted By: DCcollectaGenerally speaking, how prolific is counterfeiting in the world of AC/DC collecting?

TL;DR - Yes, it’s a problem but not huge. Understand different terms for fakes. Follow some tips at end of post. Use this site and fellow collectors to help you.

————
    It’s certainly a problem but not as huge a problem as it could potentially be. It gets a bit blurry between what is "counterfeit" and what is "bootleg", so it’s worthwhile taking the time to make sure you’re on the same page as other collectors.

In my view, "bootleg" is an unofficial recording of a live performance/broadcast, typically dating from a time when fans would buy, trade and share physical recordings (not digital files). Usually vinyl and cassettes.

Occasionally I’ll use "bootleg" to describe a reproduction of an official release, but only when it’s broadly accepted as such in the collecting community. The Live From The Atlantic Studios (LFTAS or LAAS) release being an example - the original promo LP being an official release, and a couple of reproductions being "bootlegs" as opposed to "counterfeits".

"Counterfeit" is the term I give to anything that obviously tries to replicate an official release with packaging, labeling etc manufactured to match the official look/feel. Examples would be the reproductions of Australian Alberts LPs on black vinyl with red labels and reproductions of the Australian single Can I Sit Next To You, Girl (CISNTYG). Often these are sold as "reissues" or "repressings" - they’re no such thing.

"Total fucking shit" is a step up (or down) from counterfeit, and is how I describe anything that replicates an official release, or a recognised bootleg, but doesn’t attempt to match it or pass off as an original. It also describes anything created that is clearly just total fucking shit to a reasonable person, like me. Examples include the Dog Eat Dog (DED) Australian single on green vinyl, Australian LPs on coloured vinyl and radio broadcasts on vinyl with sleeves featuring cartoon devils. I know this will offend some here who have purchased these... err, items :)

With all that said, "counterfeiting" is widespread enough to catch out folks who aren’t familiar with the telltale signs, and depending on what you’re collecting, can be an expensive mistake. Pick up a fake CISNTYG single or Australian Alberts LP, and it will cost you hundreds (thousands if you’re stung by the very occasional attempt to pass off a fake monster rarity).

Collecting "bootlegs" can be a hobby itself, with the rare/collectible ones deservedly commanding high prices. Counterfeit bootlegs are uncommon in my experience - maybe someone here who collects bootlegs can confirm/correct me?

"Total fucking shit" is everywhere and thankfully easy to spot and typically not expensive. Occasionally something extra shitty will be put up for sale and achieve a stupid sale price.

My tips for new collectors:

* familiarise yourself with original releases and recognised bootlegs - ask here, check discogs, ask here again
    * start collecting with a narrow focus eg singles, LPs, CDs and perhaps even narrower by country - you quickly become an expert in your area of focus; it means you don’t end up with a collection of all sorts of stuff; can allow you keep a relative lid on cost by avoiding collecting all sorts of stuff; and allows you to chase a prize collectible in your focus area
    * prepare yourself for some dud purchases - you will almost certainly come across some bad sellers who rip you off; you will not receive some items in the mail (or they’ll arrive smashed); and you might do some dough if you’re not clever in how you purchase. I’d like to think we’re all a bunch of honest people on here and there have been some big collections bought/sold through the site that have been great exchanges for buyer/seller. But always exercise caution, ask questions, speak to sellers and if something is off, walk away
    * always post a link here and folks will be happy to take a look and alert to fakes