To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

•  
      AC/DC rock music: AccusedNut
    • Jul 15th 2011 edited

I posted this one over here because we got off topic on the New Book thread. Anyway here's my post about the song from earlier, with the thing from wikipedia:

editquote

according to wikipedia (which of course means this info is not set in stone):

AC/DC version

I'm a Rebel was recorded, but never released, by the popular Australian hard rock band AC/DC. They had recording sessions outside Albert Productions without George Young and Harry Vanda. Bon Scott was very drunk when the song was recorded.[2] Nevertheless, Accept guitarist Wolf Hoffmann claimed in an interview that this recording was "way better" than Accept's result.[3]

The recording remains in Albert Productions' vaults. Accept's version is reported to be similar to the AC/DC version.

[edit] Personnel
    Bon Scott - lead vocals, drums
    Angus Young - lead guitar
    Malcolm Young - rhythm guitar
    Alex Young - bass

------------------------------------
    I didn't know Bon drummed on it. Anyone else know of the accuracy of that statement?
    Wondering if the Accept tried to get AC/DC's arrangement down, like nitro said, according to the Accept guitarist.
    I also wonder, if we will ever hear this song. It would be nice.
    Not totally out of the question,he was a drummer.(and supposedly a good one)

Never heard he did them for this song,but like I said,it's possible.
    Yes I knew he was a drummer in the Spektors as well as singer/drummer in the Valentines, lol.
    I don't recall that being in any book or any fact about the song "I'm a Rebel" but its possible he did I believe.
    I'm wondering if the arrangement sounds just the same between the Accept/AC/DC versions, as far as the guitars, like you mentioned, nitro.
    I really wish that the No Nonsense site was still up because I remember reading that article about that track on there and I printed off a number of articles and interviews from that site and kept them but I didn't keep that one!! I think it's possible that Bon drummed on it though and I remember reading it was recorded in Europe but I thought it was done in Germany..?
    Maybe the No Nonsense book will contain the article youre thinking about, MYR.
    Hopefully! That was a really good site though it had articles written by fans that met the band way back in the mid '70's, interviews with former members like Niel Smith, Colin Burgess, and Mark Evans. Countless interviews with the band which many of them I haven't seen again. It just sucks that all the really good sites are pretty much gone.
    Damn I wish I knew about that site before it closed :(
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DC/79
    • Jul 15th 2011

That it was written by Alex Young....no doubt. That Accept recorded it....no doubt. That DC recorded it.....never proved. I think it's possible they jammed it with Alex playing bass and the session was taped, but as to a bona fide recording it's very difficult to believe such a thing exists.
    I think maybe this was a song the label wanted written, AC/DC jammed on it, wrote it, and then the label decided it was better for another band. I doubt there is a album quality recording of it, but this is just my take on it.
    Posted By: crispyvenomI think maybe this was a song the label wanted written, AC/DC jammed on it, wrote it, and then the label decided it was better for another band. I doubt there is a album quality recording of it, but this is just my take on it.

Could be. But quite a few have claimed they have heard AC/DC's version, and this one guy reckons he owns it. So I guess we'll never know until either:
    -It's leaked
    -Its finally officially released
    Posted By: AccusedNut

That will never, ever happen.
    Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: AccusedNut

That will never, ever happen.

probably true.
    It'll be on the next album.
    Posted By: crispyvenomIt'll be on the next album.

Oh yeah, it'll be on Fucking Sound, as the B-side to "Get it While it's Hot"
    Ha!

Never happen seems the way to go :)
    Posted By: nitroangus23Ha!

Never happen seems the way to go :)

Now now nitro, think positive! Happy thoughts!
    • AC/DC rock music: mkberg
    • Feb 25th 2014 edited

Said by: Wolf HoffmanAha. He (Alex) got involved with Accept through the producer. Everybody after the first record said we have to have a radio hit. 'Guys you need a radio hit and we have just the song for you. Why don't you try this here?' Actually, I wish I still had that. That would be a rarity these days. They brought in a tape with Bon Scott singing I'm A Rebel!

Too bad he lost it. It would have been like if Jesus showed up at St. Peter's Basilica if we one day could hear it.
    • AC/DC rock music: Raff
    • Feb 25th 2014

Studio Maschen in Hamburg (that's where the song was recorded) still has a copy of the recording in it's vaults. A few lucky guys were able to listen to it once a few years ago. Unfortunatelly Alberts and AC/DC are not interested in a release of the song.
    • AC/DC rock music: mkberg
    • Feb 25th 2014

Posted By: RaffA few lucky guys were able to listen to it once a few years ago.

Do you know who theese lucky guys was? Was is like a special invitation, drawing lots-ish, etc.?

Is there any more information about that event?
    • AC/DC rock music: Raff
    • Feb 26th 2014

Posted By: mkberg
    Posted By: RaffA few lucky guys were able to listen to it once a few years ago.

Do you know who theese lucky guys was? Was is like a special invitation, drawing lots-ish, etc.?

Is there any more information about that event?

If I remember correctly it was in 2001when AC/DC played in Hamburg, the Studio invited some guys to listen to the song. Think it was some guys from newspapers maily, no fans.
    I have now heard it!
    Posted By: powersurgeI have now heard it!

WHERE?! :):):):)

Sorry; the excitement is too much to contain

Details?

Details?

Details?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: benji
    • Apr 23rd 2014 edited

Details?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: gunforhire
    • Apr 23rd 2014 edited

According to Coco Bloco over at acdcbootlegs, on *either 25th May or 13th June 2010* on the BI tour when Accept were supporting them, there was a secret backstage listening of the AC/DC version with both bands present. He said he got this info from Peter Baltes (Accept's bassist) when Peter talked about it on the Accept fan forum.

Link to the discussion on acdcbootlegs where I found this potentially juicy nugget of info from:
    http://acdc-bootlegs...

*= Info I found myself

Now we need to find the forum thread where Peter told him this, but that'll take a while seeing as the forum has no search bar

[IGNORE THIS POST; MORE ACCURATE INFO FURTHER ON IN THREAD]
    Yep - I saw that exact post that's being talked about. Saw it a couple months ago when I made my thread about it.
    http://accept1.probo...

It did not happen during the BI tour.
    •  
    • Apr 23rd 2014 edited

Posted By: Spellboundhttp://accept1.probo...

It did not happen during the BI tour.

Thanks for the info Spellbound. It cleared stuff up a lot.
    It turns out it was on a 2011 Accept tour and 'DC weren't there at all
    From what I can find on the Accept website's tour history it was this show:
    February 8, 2011 HAMBURG (GER), Gro├če Freiheit
    Here's my question - someone in that link you posted said AC/DC didn't perform it, Accept did with Bon (and George?) singing, is that actually true?

I'm assuming the location in Hamburg was the studio he met Alex in, considering he was living in Germany at the time.
    •  
    • Apr 23rd 2014 edited

Posted By: SpellboundHere's my question - someone in that link you posted said AC/DC didn't perform it, Accept did with Bon (and George?) singing, is that actually true?

I'm assuming the location in Hamburg was the studio he met Alex in, considering he was living in Germany at the time.

Here is Peter's post:
    Hey Guys,
    It was in fact George Alexander at the Studio and not Malcom. The recording actually does exist.
    I had a chance to listen to it last year when we played our show in Hamburg.....Secret location....

When he mentioned Hamburg he was talking about where he listened to it at the show backstage in 2011 (even though AC/DC's version WAS recorded in Hamburg too).
    It was recorded at Studio Maschen (Studio Meshes in German) in Jesteburg, Hamburg, Germany.

Full contact details for the studio are here: http://www.studio-ma...
    Website says AC/DC is a client. I wonder if he remembers them recording the song.
    •  
    • Apr 23rd 2014 edited

I presume that it was AC/DC themselves who recorded the AC/DC version
    Why would they call it the 'AC/DC version' if only 1 member (Bon) had sung on it?
    Posted By: SpellboundWebsite says AC/DC is a client. I wonder if he remembers them recording the song.

Thanks Spellbound. Didn't notice that
    Posted By: DCforlifeI presume that it was AC/DC themselves who recorded the AC/DC version
    Why would they call it the 'AC/DC version' if only 1 member (Bon) had sung on it?

That depends on who "they" is. :) Maybe Accept were pretty wasted too. A member in that thread has the recording and said that the band didn't perform it, just a very drunk Bon.
    Posted By: DCforlifeI presume that it was AC/DC themselves who recorded the AC/DC version

That depends on who "they" is. :) Maybe Accept were pretty wasted too. A member in that thread has the recording and said that the band didn't perform it, just a very drunk Bon.

'They' was meant to be to be the guy on the forum that you mentioned. Should have said '(s)he' to make it clearer

I guess that a guy who's heard it is a lot more credible that two more guys trying to track it down [or as I call 'it': the Holy Grail of AC/DC. It is to AC/DC recordings what the NWC Competition Gold Cart is to NES collectors, but at least that's been released at all :) ].
    •  
    • Apr 23rd 2014 edited

I wonder how much you'd have to pay to get hold of a copy
    (and how painful it would be to promise not to share it) :)

For real?
    •  
    • Apr 23rd 2014 edited

Posted By: SabbathFuckingSucks

For real?

This site here could help you to track it down (it's the contact details on the official site of the studio where the song was recorded)
    http://www.studio-ma...
    Posted By: DCforlife

'They' was meant to be to be the guy on the forum that you mentioned. Should have said '(s)he' to make it clearer

I guess that a guy who's heard it is a lot more credible that two more guys trying to track it down [or as I call 'it': the Holy Grail of AC/DC. It is to AC/DC recordings what the NWC Competition Gold Cart is to NES collectors, but at least that's been released at all :) ].

There's 26 of those cartridges, yet only 3 or 4 of the recordings!
    •  
    • Apr 23rd 2014 edited

You're a Nintento/video game fan if I recall from an earlier post where you mentioned that SMB3 was one of you all-time favourite games. Do you play video games much these days?
    Let's start a fucking video game thread!

You're a Nintento/video game fan if I recall from an earlier post where you mentioned that SMB3 was one of you all-time favourite games. Do you play video games much these days?

Yep. Recently built a PC for gaming. I've been playing South Park: Stick of Truth, and honestly after that shitfest of a game they made for the N64 I'm really surprised by how good it is. Funny as hell too - best episode in the past few years.
    Dont know when this was taken but i think this is Alex on the right with the band - found it on the Grapefruit Myspace page

https://myspace.com/...
    Journalist I think. Doesn't look like Alex to me.
    Posted By: SpellboundJournalist I think. Doesn't look like Alex to me.

Maybe - but why would it be on the Grapefruit myspace?

Also have a look at this video - Alex has a beard and playing guitar

https://myspace.com/...
    Maybe it is him. Really hard to tell from the side. Isn't there a video of where that picture is from? They run into a pub or something?

On another note, holy shit all of those Park Marshall amps, I never knew they made 8x10 Park cabs
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DC/79
    • Apr 23rd 2014

That's from the Countdown Covent Garden interview in England in summer 76. I'm fairly sure it's Alex, watch the black n white video. Same guy I'd say!

He's talking to Mal mostly since Ang and Bon were occupied. You guys are probably right.