To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • May 10th 2019

I had a Rock n Roll Dream that I was to be sent to my Rock n Roll Damnation by being run over by a Rock n Roll Train.
    Agree with Balltoucher awful song SKIP
    Rock N Roll Train should have been called Runaway Train.

If not, they should have changed the lyrics, and have Brian rerecord his parts during the chorus. Pure laziness.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: BrianyI had a Rock n Roll Dream that I was to be sent to my Rock n Roll Damnation by being run over by a Rock n Roll Train.

Up to my neck on the railroad track:)
    • AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • May 10th 2019

My top 5 on BI:
    1.Money made
    2.Rnr train
    3.Skies on fire
    4. War machine
    5. Stormy may day

Big jack, Rnr dream also pretty good. Sometimes play the whole album. Great for being so late in their career. Production a bit too polished though.
    If Skies On Fire is a Top 5 track. That doesn't say much for the rest of the album. SOF makes Breaking The Rules sound like Riff Raff.
    •  
    • May 10th 2019

^mutt_langes_perm just doesn't have any mercy XD

What would you pick instead of SOF?
    Posted By: DrBelford^mutt_langes_perm just doesn't have any mercy XD

What would you pick instead of SOF?

For my money, the best tracks on Black Ice are:

Rock N Roll Train
    War Marchine
    Money Made
    Spoilin' For A Fight
    Stormy May Day

(I also have soft spot for Black Ice, too bad it doesn't have a proper big chorus).
    This before Skies on Fire or Wheels any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

•  
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permRock N Roll Train should have been called Runaway Train.

If not, they should have changed the lyrics, and have Brian rerecord his parts during the chorus. Pure laziness.

Supposedly, the label told the band that they couldn't use Runaway Train as a title, owing to Soul Asylum already having a song by that title. What I want to know is whether there's any copyright on song titles. I'm aware of copyright on lyrics and signature melodies, but not song titles. Like, AC/DC and Thin Lizzy each have a song called Jailbreak, but I'm not aware of there ever being a problem with this.
    •  
    • May 10th 2019

Interesting. I'd pick any of these over Spoilin':

RNR Dream
    She likes RockNRoll
    Big Jack
    SmashNGrab
    and yes: Skies on Fire XD
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • May 10th 2019

SHITE.
    •  
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permRock N Roll Train should have been called Runaway Train.

Yeah..eh..no. They shouldn't change lyrics simply because of a pre-existing record title. The creativity of lyrics should not depend on such legal nonsense.
    My five best of BI (no particular order):
    Money Made
    RNRT
    Black Ice
    Smash And Grab
    SLRNR
    Posted By: Briany
    Supposedly, the label told the band that they couldn't use Runaway Train as a title, owing to Soul Asylum already having a song by that title. What I want to know is whether there's any copyright on song titles. I'm aware of copyright on lyrics and signature melodies, but not song titles. Like, AC/DC and Thin Lizzy each have a song called Jailbreak, but I'm not aware of there ever being a problem with this.

Doubt it. KISS has a song called War Machine. GNR have a song called Anything Goes. Fuck, Miley Cyrus has a song called Fly On The Wall. I'm sure there's tons more. I guess they just thought Rock N Roll Train sounded better as a title, for marketing reasons or whatever.
    •  
    • May 10th 2019 edited

Posted By: matirockerI guess they just thought Rock N Roll Train sounded better as a title, for marketing reasons or whatever.

Yes, and they were right about this. I guess it would have been confusing to have the album title be RNRT but a track on it called "Runaway train". Also, if the SoulAsylum Album would not have been a success back in the day, I'm pretty sure they would have kept the first version that Angus had in mind.
    Of course you can call that "marketing". Having a catchy title (that isn't already used) is simply good marketing.

Still confuses me that the actual title is "Black Ice"...not RNRT..damnXD
    I've always liked Skies on Fire.

BI best:
    Train, SoF, Big Jack, War Machine, Spoiling, Money Made

BI worst:
    Anything, She likes RnR, Rocking all the way

Everything else is somewhere in the middle.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • May 10th 2019

I like Skies On Fire, I'm surprised it gets a panning really.

Find it hard to pick a top 5 as I find about 7 or 8 of BI really good. Then a couple which are OK and then just another 3 or so I'd skip.
    "I know you and, you know me,
    Tell me what it is you want it to be
    What you want to be,
    What you need in me,
    Hey hey hey"

Goodness gracious. Seriously, WTF is going on with these lyrics?
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permSeriously, WTF is going on with these lyrics?

Rather less than one might imagine, I think?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: edu
    • May 10th 2019

This thread made me go listen to the whole album again. I still enjoy every single track after almost 11 years.
    I’m jumping in real late, but I just want to state how proud I feel seeing Carlos describe a song I constantly riff on, that’s on an album he always sticks up for when we talk about it, with one of my staple insults.

I knew you’d come along. ;)
    Posted By: RoccoRockin All The Way is one of the biggest turds they ever put on record and Spoilin' puts me to sleep. This means your top 5 is basically worthless even though your other choices are surprisingly good.

Okay, turn in your fan card. Rockin All the Way has a classic Mal shuffle riff. Just effortlessly cool and low key. And Spoilin is the only song with any fire in it, what a weird thing to say. I wasn't crazy about it when it came out, but it grew on me. The closest they'll ever come again to a Fire Your Guns type song. There's a reason the WWE was using it as an intro...

Posted By: matirockerIt's almost as if... wait... could it be?... people have different tastes? Other people can like stuff you don't? I don't believe it! Who knew?!

Also, you are replying to an 8 year old comment. Rocking All The Way is one of the worst songs AC/DC ever made in my opinion.

I can't make a Top 5 now, because I feel like there's only 3 songs that rise above the rest:

Rock N Roll Train
    Wheels
    Money Made

In the second tier I would place

Skies On Fire
    Anything Goes
    Spoiling For A Fight
    Stormy May Day
    Rock N Roll Dream

I've also come around quite a bit with ''Smash N Grab'' , I saw it as pure filler early on, but these days I really enjoy it.

You should tell that to everyone who piled on me for saying LTBR has shit production.

I refer to the above for Rockin All The Way. Give it another listen, I know it can seem like filler at first blush, I thought so too, but the riff is classic Malcolm.

You know, I can even wrap my hear around Wheels, but fucking RNR Train is like Fly on The Wall but written by a 10 year old. It's just the most uninspired collection of A D and G chords thrown together randomly like somebody would come up with to mock AC/DC.

Smash N Grab has cool verses. I always tend toward the forgotten tracks anyway. A lot of BI had some neat moments but the writing seemed largely unfinished, and the production just made me hate the album in general. Still, there are a few songs that feel complete, like Money Made.
    •  
    • May 16th 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    Posted By: RoccoRockin All The Way is one of the biggest turds they ever put on record and Spoilin' puts me to sleep. This means your top 5 is basically worthless even though your other choices are surprisingly good.

Okay, turn in your fan card. Rockin All the Way has a classic Mal shuffle riff. Just effortlessly cool and low key. And Spoilin is the only song with any fire in it, what a weird thing to say. I wasn't crazy about it when it came out, but it grew on me. The closest they'll ever come again to a Fire Your Guns type song. There's a reason the WWE was using it as an intro...

Posted By: matirockerIt's almost as if... wait... could it be?... people have different tastes? Other people can like stuff you don't? I don't believe it! Who knew?!

Also, you are replying to an 8 year old comment. Rocking All The Way is one of the worst songs AC/DC ever made in my opinion.

I can't make a Top 5 now, because I feel like there's only 3 songs that rise above the rest:

Rock N Roll Train
    Wheels
    Money Made

In the second tier I would place

Skies On Fire
    Anything Goes
    Spoiling For A Fight
    Stormy May Day
    Rock N Roll Dream

I've also come around quite a bit with ''Smash N Grab'' , I saw it as pure filler early on, but these days I really enjoy it.

You should tell that to everyone who piled on me for saying LTBR has shit production.

I refer to the above for Rockin All The Way. Give it another listen, I know it can seem like filler at first blush, I thought so too, but the riff is classic Malcolm.

You know, I can even wrap my hear around Wheels, but fucking RNR Train is like Fly on The Wall but written by a 10 year old. It's just the most uninspired collection of A D and G chords thrown together randomly like somebody would come up with to mock AC/DC.

Smash N Grab has cool verses. I always tend toward the forgotten tracks anyway. A lot of BI had some neat moments but the writing seemed largely unfinished, and the production just made me hate the album in general. Still, there are a few songs that feel complete, like Money Made.

Hm. Don't agree about RnR Train at all. I wouldn't say it's the best thing the band has ever done, but it is not just a jumble of A, D & G chords thrown together. It's quite a melodically-strong chord progression, in fact.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • May 16th 2019

The verse chords of RnR Train rock just as hard as on HTH. And the way Mal's and Angus' parts are tangled in on the pre chorus is magical.

Well no, because first, I don't have to, second, I agree with them, and third, it's different to say ''I don't like LTBR production'' than ''LTBR has shit production''. I still don't get why you called my 8 year old opinion basic, lousy and absurd, you could have just disagreed or ignore it and post your top 5 without referencing mine. That type of attitude won't work for you here. Cheers.
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotI refer to the above for Rockin All The Way. Give it another listen, I know it can seem like filler at first blush,

and second, and third and fourth ad infinitum. Its grade A auto pilot shit

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotYou know, I can even wrap my hear around Wheels, but fucking RNR Train is like Fly on The Wall but written by a 10 year old. It's just the most uninspired collection of A D and G chords thrown together randomly like somebody would come up with to mock AC/DC.

what an absurd thing to say about their strongest track for almost 30 years. Rock n Roll Train is to Black Ice what Thunderstruck was to The Razors Edge. It was almost single handedly responsible for lifting AC/DC from arena and occasional stadium level to multi leg Stadium tours
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • May 17th 2019

Skies on Fire might just be the most boring thing Phil Rudd has ever recorded.
    • May 17th 2019

I don't get the dislike for Skies...

Rockin' All The Way though....it's certainly not bad, and it kind of should work, and somewhat does, but somehow just doesn't take-off.
    • AC/DC rock music: rideon77
    • May 17th 2019

I totally dislike the drums on SOF. Sorry Phil
    Did God have a lot of Valium before recording that beat?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • May 17th 2019 edited

Find me at least 3 movies since BI came out that had Train used in the trailer, or even the movie. Alternatively, tell me how often Train can be heard at sporting events.

If you can’t manage the above, it is because Train has absolutely fuck all to do with the mainstream lime light since the DOBI tour ended. It was marketed to hell and back since it’s the first actual piece of material the band put out in almost 10 years. The song itself wasn’t what sold the band - it was the hype. It isn’t the strongest song in the last 30 year and it wasn’t even the strongest song on the album.

The only redeemable part about Train is the pre chorus. The song is as by the books as you can get.
    Posted By: matirocker

Well no, because first, I don't have to, second, I agree with them, and third, it's different to say ''I don't like LTBR production'' than ''LTBR has shit production''. I still don't get why you called my 8 year old opinion basic, lousy and absurd, you could have just disagreed or ignore it and post your top 5 without referencing mine. That type of attitude won't work for you here. Cheers.

Funny, because I saw that attitude toward BUYV, being called "shit", and once again everyone piled on me for defending the album. Seems like the supposed standards you claim this forum holds don't actually exist, and are just used selectively to target opinions outside the in-group... Cheers.

Posted By: carlos fandango
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotI refer to the above for Rockin All The Way. Give it another listen, I know it can seem like filler at first blush,

and second, and third and fourth ad infinitum. Its grade A auto pilot shit

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotYou know, I can even wrap my hear around Wheels, but fucking RNR Train is like Fly on The Wall but written by a 10 year old. It's just the most uninspired collection of A D and G chords thrown together randomly like somebody would come up with to mock AC/DC.

what an absurd thing to say about their strongest track for almost 30 years. Rock n Roll Train is to Black Ice what Thunderstruck was to The Razors Edge. It was almost single handedly responsible for lifting AC/DC from arena and occasional stadium level to multi leg Stadium tours

Now that gave me a genuine chest laugh. Comparing the track that would be dismissed as an amateur fake job if leaked early, to Thunderstruck. XD

"Strongest track in 30 years"? Better than Money Made? Better than SUL, Satellite Blues, Hold Me Back or Meltdown? Better than Burnin Alive, The Furor, Boogie Man or Caught w/ Your Pants Down? For the love of God, man...

Posted By: SpellboundFind me at least 3 movies since BI came out that had Train used in the trailer, or even the movie. Alternatively, tell me how often Train can be heard at sporting events.

If you can’t manage the above, it is because Train has absolutely fuck all to do with the mainstream lime light since the DOBI tour ended. It was marketed to hell and back since it’s the first actual piece of material the band put out in almost 10 years. The song itself wasn’t what sold the band - it was the hype. It isn’t the strongest song in the last 30 year and it wasn’t even the strongest song on the album.

The only redeemable part about Train is the pre chorus. The song is as by the books as you can get.

Finally, some sanity. That song was pimped to death and then the corpse was trotted around on tour for two years before being immediately forgotten.

I don't even remember the pre-chorus because I was so ashamed of that song's mere existence that I avoided it at all costs.
    •  
    • May 22nd 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotFunny, because I saw that attitude toward BUYV, being called "shit", and once again everyone piled on me for defending the album
    I think there is a pretty big consensus around this place that the production of BUYV is shit. Mostly because of the total mix of weak guitar sound, thin drumsound and ugly vocal reverb. People defend that album (including myself) for its songwriting arrangements and its variety. The mix on LTBR in my ears is much better and not shit. But if you don't like overdriven guitar tones it won't work of course.
    • May 22nd 2019

Posted By: ThankassI think there is a pretty big consensus around this place that the production of BUYV is shit. Mostly because of the total mix of weak guitar sound, thin drumsound and ugly vocal reverb. People defend that album (including myself) for its songwriting arrangements and its variety. The mix on LTBR in my ears is much better and not shit. But if you don't like overdriven guitar tones it won't work of course.

I like the sound of LTBR, though I understand some people don't like that fizzy sound Angus has. I also think BUYV might have just captured a bit of that sound, had all the reverbs not been piled on like Britney Spears doing her make-up in a club restroom while high on coke.

I thought the guitars on BUYV had a nice, natural edge, and there are plenty of moments where the 'life' of those guitars is captured... the ringing / feedback at end of That's The Way, for example. The sound of Angus' hybrid picking in that pre-solo bit on Go Zone...
    •  
    • May 22nd 2019

Posted By: 900
    Posted By: ThankassI think there is a pretty big consensus around this place that the production of BUYV is shit. Mostly because of the total mix of weak guitar sound, thin drumsound and ugly vocal reverb. People defend that album (including myself) for its songwriting arrangements and its variety. The mix on LTBR in my ears is much better and not shit. But if you don't like overdriven guitar tones it won't work of course.

I like the sound of LTBR, though I understand some people don't like that fizzy sound Angus has. I also think BUYV might have just captured a bit of that sound, had all the reverbs not been piled on like Britney Spears doing her make-up in a club restroom while high on coke.

I thought the guitars on BUYV had a nice, natural edge, and there are plenty of moments where the 'life' of those guitars is captured... the ringing / feedback at end of That's The Way, for example. The sound of Angus' hybrid picking in that pre-solo bit on Go Zone...
    Indeed, the guitars had some moments here and there but overall they lacked bite in the total mix imo. Too sterile sounding. No real distinct difference in guitar tones from Malcolm and Angus. There isn't one song where they totally blow me away.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 22nd 2019

Funny, because I saw that attitude toward BUYV, being called "shit", and once again everyone piled on me for defending the album. Seems like the supposed standards you claim this forum holds don't actually exist, and are just used selectively to target opinions outside the in-group... Cheers.

That's because BUYVs production is actually shit. Unlike LTBR which is only "shit" in your distored little parallel universe.
    Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotFunny, because I saw that attitude toward BUYV, being called "shit", and once again everyone piled on me for defending the album
    I think there is a pretty big consensus around this place that the production of BUYV is shit. Mostly because of the total mix of weak guitar sound, thin drumsound and ugly vocal reverb. People defend that album (including myself) for its songwriting arrangements and its variety. The mix on LTBR in my ears is much better and not shit. But if you don't like overdriven guitar tones it won't work of course.

Sure, and that's fine, but people were saying it was shit. Again, my point is that there seems to be a huge double standard for opinions outside the "consensus". Shitting on something the group dislikes is a-okay but something they do like gets you attacked. All I said was the guitars don't sound so bad if you crank it.

Posted By: Rocco

That's because BUYVs production is actually shit. Unlike LTBR which is only "shit" in your distored little parallel universe.

... see what I mean? Nobody castigating Rocco and telling him he's unwelcome with this attitude.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 26th 2019

Sure, and that's fine, but people were saying it was shit. Again, my point is that there seems to be a huge double standard for opinions outside the "consensus". Shitting on something the group dislikes is a-okay but something they do like gets you attacked. All I said was the guitars don't sound so bad if you crank it.

... see what I mean? Nobody castigating Rocco and telling him he's unwelcome with this attitude.

•  
    • May 26th 2019 edited

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotSure, and that's fine, but people were saying it was shit. Again, my point is that there seems to be a huge double standard for opinions outside the "consensus". Shitting on something the group dislikes is a-okay but something they do like gets you attacked. All I said was the guitars don't sound so bad if you crank it.
    I don't think there is a 97% consensus group on here. Apart from that there is a consensus about the bands work between 77 en 83; being it their opus magnum. People have all kinds of different tastes on here and are not holding back of telling that. It's more the WAY people say it that gets things spiralled out of control than WHAT they say. If it is said in a pedantic or a, like the mods would say, 'passive agressive' way, things are easily getting fired up. Especially when there is no form of irony or self-mockery. And as much as you blame people for doing that, you are as much to blame yourself. Examples are on previous and current page.

Thanks for proving my point yet again?

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotSure, and that's fine, but people were saying it was shit. Again, my point is that there seems to be a huge double standard for opinions outside the "consensus". Shitting on something the group dislikes is a-okay but something they do like gets you attacked. All I said was the guitars don't sound so bad if you crank it.
    I don't think there is a 97% consensus group on here. Apart from that there is a consensus about the bands work between 77 en 83; being it their opus magnum. People have all kinds of different tastes on here and are not holding back of telling that. It's more the WAY people say it that gets things spiralled out of control than WHAT they say. If it is said in a pedantic or a, like the mods would say, 'passive agressive' way, things are easily getting fired up. Especially when there is no form of irony or self-mockery. And as much as you blame people for doing that, you are as much to blame yourself. Examples are on previous and current page.

Again, I never said I am innocent, just that nobody else seems to be held to the same standard. Rocco continues mocking me without a word said to him...