To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Mar 14th 2011

One of the superior tracks on BI for me. I get a little whiff of the FOTS album from this track, probably due to it being the only real track that has Beano letting rip. Even some of the lyrics are interesting. I remember reading that this was going to be the album opener until RnRT was written/bumped up. One of the songs I would definitely have liked to have heard on the tour.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Pod
    • Mar 14th 2011

My critique of this when I did a small review of the album ages ago was

"SOF solid bluesy number. Love the bassline. Why AG live and not this?"

Not much has changed. Listened to the album the other day and this was still one of the stand out tracks on there for me.

"Look at the skyyyyyyyyyyyy"
    •  
    • Mar 14th 2011

Posted By: Pod
    "Look at the skyyyyyyyyyyyy"

One of the peak moments of the record
    Boring as all hell.

It sounds a lot like Go Zone, only worse and slower.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: mike11930
    • Mar 14th 2011

Posted By: JemOne of the superior tracks on BI for me.

Really like this one.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Webby
    • Mar 14th 2011

I like the tune, 2nd best after RNRT like Pod says Look at the sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Definitly in Black Ice Top 5.

Black Ice Top 5 (in album order) -Rock N Roll Train, Skies On Fire, Anything Goes, Wheels, Money Made

It is, like Anything Goes, something "different". When you hear that bass line you'd figure the guitar would be doing something similar, but not, the guitar are just 2 chords with small variations, just excellent- Brian is awesome here, his screams sound top notch in this one.. I love it.
    Not a bad song.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Mar 14th 2011

Simple song, nothing too fancy. Great vocal performance, love the drum intro.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Webby
    • Mar 14th 2011

Talking about the drum intro, and being a bit geeky here, but the snare is a wee bit tighter than the rest of the album....
    Posted By: BallToucher

This. Still like it though.
    Posted By: WebbyLook at the sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Brian's shining moments on this record.
    Brian sounds good, but thats about it. not a bad song, but not the best on the album. I did like it when I first heard it a lot though.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Mar 14th 2011

When I first played it I thought the drums sounded very drum machine. I like the song though

cheers
    •  
    • Mar 14th 2011

Posted By: Webby, but the snare is a wee bit tighter than the rest of the album....

seems almost so.
    Posted By: savsavWhen I first played it I thought the drums sounded very drum machine. I like the song though

cheers

Phil IS a drum machine ;)
    •  
    • Mar 14th 2011

The Rudd is a machine.
    Philliam Rudd is a robot.
    Posted By: crispyvenomPhilliam

haha

This song actually shows why I don't really like the sound of the Drum production on Black Ice.Just sounds too....(modern?) can't think of a term.

Don't get me wrong Phil played really great,just think he sounded better on Ballbreaker and other albums.
    •  
    • Mar 14th 2011

FOTS.
    •  
    • Mar 14th 2011

Posted By: JemFOTS.

His best drumming album, followed probably by Ballbreaker.
    Posted By: nitroangus23
    Posted By: crispyvenomPhilliam

haha

This song actually shows why I don't really like the sound of the Drum production on Black Ice.Just sounds too....(modern?) can't think of a term.

Don't get me wrong Phil played really great,just think he sounded better on Ballbreaker and other albums.

Yeah, definitly. I didn't like the drum sound either, but I can't believe anybody likes this song like I do. I think it's "bloody brilliant" like a UK guy would say ^^
    Phil's best sound for me is tie between For Those About To Rock (he sounds fucking fantastic) or Ballbreaker.

(He sounded great on all the Bon albums as well)
    Posted By: nitroangus23Phil's best sound for me is tie between For Those About To Rock (he sounds fucking fantastic) or Ballbreaker.

(He sounded great on all the Bon albums as well)

Back in Black and Flick Of The Switch sound great too!
    Back In Black is good, Flick Is alright, but it's lacking something,

Not much of a fan of it's Drum sound.
    •  
    • Mar 14th 2011

Sounds like bricks falling down stairs.
    Posted By: nitroangus23Back In Black is good, Flick Is alright, but it's lacking something,

Not much of a fan of it's Drum sound.

Its lacking high end/high mids and cymbal volume.
    Bingo^^^
    Posted By: nitroangus23Bingo^^^

You know I saw something another band did (not sure which one) but they released a deluxe box set which included a cd-rom that you put into your computer and it had a .zip file with all of the seperate tracks like vocals, drums, bass , etc. so you could remix however you wanted. Man, I wish AC/DC would do that with Flick, Fly, and Video.
    Posted By: crispyvenom

You know I saw something another band did (not sure which one) but they released a deluxe box set which included a cd-rom that you put into your computer and it had a .zip file with all of the seperate tracks like vocals, drums, bass , etc. so you could remix however you wanted. Man, I wish AC/DC would do that with Flick, Fly, and Video.

Oh my god that would be sick!
    Posted By: El3ment380
    Posted By: crispyvenom

Oh my god that would be sick!

It would certainly give Nitro and I something to do...maybe we should write them a letter asking for the tracks, eh Nitro?
    We can try, however we may get a

"Fuck'em"

Response.

Would love for the band to just clean the albums up and adjust them where needed.
    What if they just gave the masters to Mutt??
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BFET
    • Mar 14th 2011

This is an A-Class song! Not one thing wrong with this track. Great jingling riff that just feels old school. Brian is balls out. Phil is well... Phil (nuff said). Solo struts along and gets me goin every time! What an album and what a song. SOF is all class.

9/10
    Surprisingly I tend to agree with BFET
    Iv'e been loving this song lately.

LOOK AT THE SKKYYYYYYYYY
    One of my favorites off the album.
    Posted By: matirockerDefinitly in Black Ice Top 5.

Black Ice Top 5 (in album order) -Rock N Roll Train, Skies On Fire, Anything Goes, Wheels, Money Made

It is, like Anything Goes, something "different". When you hear that bass line you'd figure the guitar would be doing something similar, but not, the guitar are just 2 chords with small variations, just excellent- Brian is awesome here, his screams sound top notch in this one.. I love it.

Amazing, you managed to pick the most basic and lousy top 5 imaginable, except Money Made. Of all the songs on BI, to put RNRT and Wheels anywhere but the bottom is absurd.

Here's a top 5 for BI: Money Made, RNR Dream, Rockin All The Way, Black Ice and Spoilin or War Machine, take your pick.
    This is why Black Ice is so divisive, everyone's top 5 or 10 is so different:

RNRT - a real return to form. Probably their best since Thunderstruck
    Spoilin - Love that riff and little lick. One of AC/DC's latter day "attitude" tracks
    SLRNR - I fucking love this song. The goat Bvs just make it
    Wheels- bit of pants on head nonsense, but fucking great
    Stormy May Day - shoulda been a contender if only they'd put a scorching solo on it but still great to hear that slide come back out
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    Posted By: matirockerDefinitly in Black Ice Top 5.

Amazing, you managed to pick the most basic and lousy top 5 imaginable, except Money Made. Of all the songs on BI, to put RNRT and Wheels anywhere but the bottom is absurd.

Here's a top 5 for BI: Money Made, RNR Dream, Rockin All The Way, Black Ice and Spoilin or War Machine, take your pick.

Rockin All The Way is one of the biggest turds they ever put on record and Spoilin' puts me to sleep. This means your top 5 is basically worthless even though your other choices are surprisingly good.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • May 10th 2019

Loved this song in the first spin.
    That one "Look At The Skyyyyyyyyyy" is cool as hell, really nice hearing Brian reaching for the notes there. Wish there were more moments in the later day albums like it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: edu
    • May 10th 2019

One of my favorites on BI, and it fits so well on second place right after RNRT
    Doesn't move me much when listening to it. On BI, I prefer Smash And Grab before this song.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • May 10th 2019

Posted By: BallToucherBoring as all hell.

The only aspect of it that sounds like Go Zone is the little off-the-beat guitar stabs, but the difference between Skies on Fire and Go Zone is the SOF verse guitar makes musical sense - it's hummable - whereas Go Zone's verse guitar - specifically the bit where Brian sings "I've got better things to do with my money" - just sounds like they're trying to be too clever with where they put their little guitar stabs, and it feels totally unsatisfying as a result.
    Love it. Love BI. In my TOP5 BI songs, behold:

1. Stormy May Day
    2. Moneymade
    3. Rock N Roll Train
    4. Skies of Fire
    5. War Machine
    ----bubbling under the Brian Jonhson lyrics song: Rock N Roll Dream - Mal asked him to blabber something on it and it aint great but pretty much the best lyrics there are on tha album -----
    Skies on Fire plods too much. It needs to be faster. Also, it wasn't God's best day when he recorded his drum track. Just dull and fake sounding.
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot

It's almost as if... wait... could it be?... people have different tastes? Other people can like stuff you don't? I don't believe it! Who knew?!

Also, you are replying to an 8 year old comment. Rocking All The Way is one of the worst songs AC/DC ever made in my opinion.

I can't make a Top 5 now, because I feel like there's only 3 songs that rise above the rest:

Rock N Roll Train
    Wheels
    Money Made

In the second tier I would place

Skies On Fire
    Anything Goes
    Spoiling For A Fight
    Stormy May Day
    Rock N Roll Dream

I've also come around quite a bit with ''Smash N Grab'' , I saw it as pure filler early on, but these days I really enjoy it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • May 10th 2019

Wheels really gets surprisingly much love around here:)

Why not Big Jack?
    Posted By: DrBelfordWheels really gets surprisingly much love around here:)

Why not Big Jack?

And what about War Machine? AC/DC won their first ever Grammy because of that song.

As for the Wheels love fest, I can appreciate it from a musical stand point, but the chorus is beyond childish.

The Whhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllsss on the bus spin 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round, 'round and 'round.