[ Sign In | Register ]

That You Shook Me version is the perfect example of how important mixing, editing and general production is. Had this one be released in 1980 I doubt the song would be the classic and well known song it is today.
    Damn, video is down. I am really curious about this mix.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 25th 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotDamn, video is down. I am really curious about this mix.
    Video on the previous page is still up.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Sep 25th 2019

Posted By: BallToucherThat You Shook Me version is the perfect example of how important mixing, editing and general production is. Had this one be released in 1980 I doubt the song would be the classic and well known song it is today.

An interesting point, BIB's greatness might not have been the same with a lesser production, but it would still have been a classic as long as the production wasn't too bad? I was thinking this recently about Scorpions, their Love At First Sting album has a slightly odd sound, it's not bad, but it's some way off Mutt Lange quality. But it was good enough to make that album a bit of a classic, and it's remained so.

Had BIB had BIYV's production...that would be a different question, maybe?!
    Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotDamn, video is down. I am really curious about this mix.
    Video on the previous page is still up.

Not for me. "Blocked in your country"
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • Oct 1st 2019

Posted By: BallToucherThat You Shook Me version is the perfect example of how important mixing, editing and general production is. Had this one be released in 1980 I doubt the song would be the classic and well known song it is today.

I doubt it would have ever been released this way, even on WMW; you can hear that the production changes, no doubt to match the video in the movie.

The backing vocals are interesting, though. King obviously had access to the original multitracks, as reverb gets added to certain elements, but not others. It wouldn't surprise me if the backing vocals in the movie mix are on the master multitracks as separate takes that were used to comp together the final background vocal track; when doing the final mix, they simply didn't pull up the fader on the parts they didn't want to use. Another subtle use of this is after Brian sings the first "You Shook Me All Night Long" after the solo; if you listen closely to the movie mix, there's a low "yeah" he sings that they didn't use on the BIB mix.

Whomever was mixing the audio for the movie probably just left Brian's vocal up instead of pulling out that part, and they used the background vocal mix that didn't make the album.
    Just my 2 cents. Interesting stuff though, and as you say, that classic album could have sounded quite a bit different had a few people simply decided to mix it a little differently.
    • AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Oct 2nd 2019

The version used to be out there long ago on Napster and such being passed off as a "studio rehearsal" or something. Of course it's not.
    Are there any mirrors that are available in the US?