To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]
Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Jan 20th 2011

A Highlight of Backtracks and Iron Man 2.

"Dun Duh Dun Da"

"Dun Nuh Dun Nuh"

Should've been on the International Powerage....
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: jonalba
    • Jan 20th 2011

One of my all-time favorites. Defines what a "cool" song is lyrically.

"No one knew, where he came from."
    •  
    • Jan 20th 2011

For me this is an absolute highlight of Bon's career and a pivotal track on Powerage. I believe that Bon's solo record would have been along similar lines. Content wise.
    •  
    • Jan 20th 2011

Absolutely. And believe it or not, I think Ballbreaker-era Brian could have done a mean cover of this. We'll never know though...

But nonetheless, this is one of those definitive Bon songs. Awesome track.
    ^Im with ya Jon. Brian should do this one sometime. cool choice for IM2
    Posted By: JemFor me this is an absolute highlight of Bon's career and a pivotal track on Powerage.

I don't wanna speculate on Bon's solo record though, it just seems weird to me.
    Posted By: jonalbaAbsolutely. And believe it or not, I think Ballbreaker-era Brian could have done a mean cover of this. We'll never know though...

I could totally hear that.

His voice at that time had just enough "roughness" and power.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: matirocker
    • Jan 20th 2011 edited

INCREDIBLE SONG!!! I don't know why they released it in some Powerage versions since it was recorded in 1976, when Mark Evans was still the bass player. Great song anyway

BTW: Who gets to pick the song of the day? I'd like to do it sometime
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • Jan 20th 2011 edited

Posted By: nitroangus23
    Posted By: jonalbaAbsolutely. And believe it or not, I think Ballbreaker-era Brian could have done a mean cover of this. We'll never know though...

I could totally hear that.

His voice then his voice had just enough "roughness" and power.

I'd prefer this stay to Bon. I see him trying to have the crowd sing along to it with his hands waving around.

Posted By: matirockerINCREDIBLE SONG!!! I don't know why they released it in some Powerage versions since it was recorded in 1976, when Mark Evans was still the bass player. Great song anyway

I think only Mods can. Though if you slip word to Nitro for a suggestion, he'll probably do it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: matirocker
    • Jan 20th 2011 edited

What users are the mods? (sorry about this noobie questions)

Bonlives, and as you said it appears nitro, aswell... who else?
    Click on a user's name,it'll say Mod if they are one.

and yeah,

I'll probably do it if you ask.As long as it's not a song we've already did.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: mike11930
    • Jan 20th 2011

Posted By: nitroangus23A Highlight of Backtracks and Iron Man 2.

...also, it is perfect Bon material.
    There's no way this song was recorded two years earlier than the rest of Powerage, I don't care what it says in the liner notes of Iron Man 2. It fits in with the rest of the Powerage songs in every single way possible.
    Totally agree^^
    Posted By: matirockerINCREDIBLE SONG!!! I don't know why they released it in some Powerage versions since it was recorded in 1976, when Mark Evans was still the bass player. Great song anyway

Nitro and I usually do the Songs of the day, So just let one of us know and we;ll get it up ASAP.
    NP used to do them sometimes too... *Wipes tear from eye* ... I think I miss him already...

WRONG! He's just watching the conversation, waiting for his chance to return and steal the spotlight!
    Who's this NP,

Nacho Pie?

•  
      AC/DC rock music: mike11930
    • Jan 20th 2011

I do wonder if he actually lurks on here...
    •  
    • Jan 20th 2011

Look out for the Night Prowler, watch you tonight
    I'm the Night Prowler, when you turn out the light ...

Duh.
    He could always make a new account,and we'd never be the wiser.

(Except bonlives,he can see the IP address)
    Posted By: mike11930I do wonder if he actually lurks on here...

Posted By: jonalbaDuh.
    •  
    • Jan 21st 2011

I don't buy the 'recorded two years earlier' story. This track sounds nothing like 'Carry Me Home' which was recorded during the '76 sessions I believe.
    Yeah Cold Hearted Man has Powerage written all over it.
    word
    It also sounds nothing like Love At First Feel which was recorded during that '76 session as well.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Galvatron
    • Jan 21st 2011

Good song should have been on the international Powerage!
    Great song! Great album (European Powerage)...
    Carry Me Home sounds nothing like LAAF, but no one argues that one
    ^ LOL, are you kidding me? The guitar tone is exactly the same on those songs!
    Carry Me Home is amazing.
    Posted By: crispyvenomCarry Me Home is amazing.

I wish it had better quality on "Backtracks"
    •  
    • Jan 29th 2011

Really?

I always think it sounds a bit of a mess. Never listen to it.
    Posted By: JemReally?

I always think it sounds a bit of a mess. Never listen to it.

hum... that's what I meant, it should have had better quality on "Backtracks"
    I think he meant the song in general not quality mati.
    oh, sorry =P
    • AC/DC rock music: Nik
    • Feb 2nd 2011

I was so glad to see / hear this song on a CD it is an absolute unreconstructed classic. And absolutely apt for Mr Stark, How many years did we have to wait for an official release of this one.
    It was on the Euro Powerage back in '78,it wasn't released in the States Officially until 2009 on the Backtracks Boxset,then on Iron Man 2 in 2010.
    I really wonder where the story that CHM was recorded in '76 comes from? Why doesn't anyone who knows Angus personally ask him?? Neither Wall (p. 190) nor Engleheart and Durieux (p. 162) mentions it being recorded at Vineyard. Durieux however strangely enough states that it's from the Vineyard sessions on his Powerage page: http://ac-dc.net/dis... One theory is they did an early version of CHM in '76 and did it again in '78.
    To my ears CHM sounds straight out of the LTBR sessions.
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Feb 12th 2019

Carry Me Home sounds nothing like LAAF, but no one argues

Agree Carry me Home Has More fuzz on the guitars, sounds more like a LTBR out take. Wonder what else was recorded at the vine yard sessions, would love to make it an ep to put on my ipod
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Feb 12th 2019

Posted By: 71SGquote
    Carry Me Home sounds nothing like LAAF, but no one argues

Agree Carry me Home Has More fuzz on the guitars, sounds more like a LTBR out take. Wonder what else was recorded at the vine yard sessions, would love to make it an ep to put on my ipod

Carry Me Home
    Love At First Feel
    Dirty Eyes
    Cold Hearted Man (at least it's always credited to that session)
    Strange. Love At First Feel is credited as having been recorded at Vineyard on the label of the single, whereas CHM does actually state recorded at Alberts Studios.
    My ears still tell me CHM is from the LTBR sessions.
    Hilarious to see my first days on the forum above!
    • AC/DC rock music: 71SG
    • Feb 12th 2019

Cheers 7seven
    It seems impossible to find the source for the info about the songs recorded at The Vineyard sessions. So far the only song confirmed is LAFF, since it's credited on the label. It seems likely that DE and CMH were recorded at the same time - but it's not confirmed. Regarding CHM I find it quite strange that a song from that session would pop up on Powerage, but who knows?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Feb 12th 2019 edited

well they used a promo pic from 78 for the Highway cover in 79, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they held onto a song from 76 for a 78 release....
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Feb 13th 2019 edited

Posted By: soulstripper666Regarding CHM I find it quite strange that a song from that session would pop up on Powerage, but who knows?

Maybe they wanted min. 9 tracks for the Powerage release, they only had 8 at that time and so they took "CHM" from the vineyard sessions ?

"Love at first feel" was used for the int. DDDDC release (and was also released as single in january 1977 in australia)
    "Carry me home" was used as B-Side for the "Dog eat dog" single
    "Dirty eyes" was rewritten and official released as "Whole lotta rosie"

So, "Cold hearted man" was the only song which wasn't released from that session and the took it to fill the record.

Then the record company wanted a "single" and the boys recorded "Rock 'n' Roll damnation" (after the first LP releases of Powerage in the UK).On further releases they kicked "CHM" & placed RNRD on the record....

But i agree, CHM sound really like it could be from the Powerage sessions (maybe only re-recorded for PA).
    Can someone ask Mark Evans please :-) Any nephew's of him here? ;-)
    • AC/DC rock music: rnrd
    • Feb 13th 2019

CHM is one of Malcolm’s masterpiece. Incredible grove and one of the first where his Gretsch reaches his beast sound.