[ Sign In | Register ]

If he supposedly recorded most of the bass parts for TNT and some for DD, played with them live more than a few times in '74 (IIRC), probably occasionally helped on the songwriting side of things in the earlier days, was such a major influence to his younger brothers in general, and handled all of the production with Harry Vanda, why did they bother to even bring Mark aboard when they had the opportunity to have a much more experienced player with them?

Was George unable to make a commitment to touring at the time? Was it something else? Am I just overlooking something?
    • AC/DC rock music: Drew1999
    • Dec 2nd 2019

Maybe because of his experience with the Easy Beats he didn't want to be in the band. Maybe he enjoyed being in the background.
    I wonder if anything's been said about it. A perfectly understandable decision, though, as maybe he just wanted to mentor his younger brothers.
    Three Young’s in one band.

Allow that idea to settle a bit.
    He had his time with the easy beats, interests changed to producing.
    It’s brought up in multiple books.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • Dec 3rd 2019

Along with Harry Vanda, I think George was more interested in the whole production and songwriting elements of the business.
    They had a great deal at Albert's and worked with a lot of Australia's finest at the time.
    I think he saw AC/DC more as a vehicle for Malcolm and Angus to steer as they say fit, he was happy to provide support and guidance when needed.
    George had his Alberts gig and partnership with Harry to look after. They had a pretty unique spot at Alberts writing songs and producing so many artists.

I'm not sure how much image had to do with it, but maybe he also wasn't the right visual fit for the band.
    It’s a good and valid question. I think he was burned by his experiences in the Easybeats, which is after all where the Young’s mistrust of critics comes from. Plus, it was his wee brothers project and he was always the sixth member anyways. George did far more for the band than most give him credit for. Arrangements etc were part of his remit.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Dec 3rd 2019 edited

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinIf he supposedly recorded most of the bass parts for TNT and some for DD, played with them live more than a few times in '74 (IIRC), probably occasionally helped on the songwriting side of things in the earlier days, was such a major influence to his younger brothers in general, and handled all of the production with Harry Vanda, why did they bother to even bring Mark aboard when they had the opportunity to have a much more experienced player with them?

Was George unable to make a commitment to touring at the time? Was it something else? Am I just overlooking something?

From what I understand George wasn't too fond of going through all the bullshit again that goes with being part of a band. He would have needed to tour with the band and AC/DC had a grueling tour schedule which would have taken him away from his family (George had a young daughter at the time). I don't think he would have been too pleased to "sleep with the singer's socks two inches from your nose" (to quote Angus). Plus it wouldn't have been financially as rewarding (atleast up until they really broke big with BIB) as being a producer und songwriter at Alberts Studios.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ron
    • Dec 3rd 2019

George had an all but free reign to produce what he wanted at Albert's. No way he'd have given all that up to play third banana in his younger brothers band.
    Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinIf he supposedly recorded most of the bass parts for TNT and some for DD, played with them live more than a few times in '74 (IIRC), probably occasionally helped on the songwriting side of things in the earlier days, was such a major influence to his younger brothers in general, and handled all of the production with Harry Vanda, why did they bother to even bring Mark aboard when they had the opportunity to have a much more experienced player with them?

From what I understand George wasn't too fond of going through all the bullshit again that goes with being part of a band. He would have needed to tour with the band and AC/DC had a grueling tour schedule which would have taken him away from his family (George had a young daughter at the time). I don't think he would have been too pleased to "sleep with the singer's socks two inches from your nose" (to quote Angus). Plus it wouldn't have been financially as rewarding (atleast up until they really broke big with BIB) as being a producer und songwriter at Alberts Studios.
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. Would have been... interesting, though, as Spellbound implied.
    Age probably has to do with it.
    George didn't join because his look didn't fit the image of the band. He looked too old.
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permGeorge didn't join because his look didn't fit the image of the band. He looked too old.

Posted By: MeanstreakAge probably has to do with it.
    Funny thing is, Bon’s older than him, unless wikipedia is wrong. Still, being Mal’s older brother by 7 years and Angus’ by 9 years probably had something to do with it
    Posted By: tomscotlandIt’s a good and valid question. I think he was burned by his experiences in the Easybeats, which is after all where the Young’s mistrust of critics comes from. Plus, it was his wee brothers project and he was always the sixth member anyways. George did far more for the band than most give him credit for. Arrangements etc were part of his remit.

^ This ^ I think that about sums it up. George Young had already had his time in the spotlight with the Easybeats and was pissed with the way a couple of things panned out. I think he saw AC/DC as a great opportunity to work with a band where he could use his experience and influence to help the band go in the right direction without being in the spotlight, and he did a great job of that as AC/DC's success is evidence of that.
    • AC/DC rock music: BrennaB
    • 1 day ago

I would think that at the time ACDC started out it would be like going backwards for George. They were just starting out, didn’t know really at that time if anything would become of ACDC, and George was already successful. I’m sure he benefited quite well from their success.
    • 1 day ago

Posted By: SpellboundThree Young’s in one band.

Haha True, but three brothers in Greta Van Fleet seems to be working well. So far anyway. Still early. ;p
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • 1 day ago

Posted By: BrennaB
    Posted By: SpellboundThree Young’s in one band.

Haha True, but three brothers in Greta Van Fleet seems to be working well. So far anyway. Still early. ;p
    The Ramones had four! :)
    • 1 day ago

Posted By: ThankassThe Ramones had four! :)

Oh yeah, that’s right'