[ Sign In | Register ]

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Nov 29th 2019 edited

I've been one of many people begging Robert to release a print of my favourite picture of Angus for years. You know the one, 1979 Manchester Apollo. Don't know how long this has been for sale, but they're now available to buy.

Unfortunately this is way above my budget, so I can forget about it for now, but if you've got £1440 burning a hole in your pocket, fire away here:
    https://www.repfoto....

I'll have to stick to his excellent books for the foreseeable future!

*Edit* these are limited to 5 worldwide, numbered and signed by Robert. Which does make it a very tempting purchase...
    I have one from the Apollo and professionally framed. Stunning photo and makes me smile everything I look at it
    •  
    • Nov 29th 2019

Posted By: Pancake81I have one from the Apollo and professionally framed. Stunning photo and makes me smile everything I look at it

Nice purchase! I've always wanted this picture on my wall
    • AC/DC rock music: Pancake81
    • Nov 29th 2019 edited

You can see it in the background from this photo of my old music room

6-B1-EDE26-657-F-4042-82-A0-113-F25-F5-C058
    Also, here is another one from the same night. And I will throw in another great photo of Angus with that sexy Custom

40-CB9-C5-B-0921-4350-A739-DF115057-EFDB

C87346-BB-9-AFF-4-D49-B223-A0-FFE8-BED86-D
    •  
    • Nov 29th 2019

Ah so it's not one bought directly from Robert?
    My large framed one was a gift, unsure if it came directly from Robert or through a authorized seller. It’s top quality, not a poster print. Love that photo. The other ones I posted are just ones I have saved on my phone
    •  
    • Nov 29th 2019

Posted By: Pancake81My large framed one was a gift, unsure if it came directly from Robert or through a authorized seller. It’s top quality, not a poster print. Love that photo. The other ones I posted are just ones I have saved on my phone

It's hard to get hold of a decent print of it. I was hoping to buy the official one but my top budget was about £200. If I bought the limited print from Robert I'd be paying for a divorce too!
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Nov 30th 2019

Posted By: Pancake81Also, here is another one from the same night. And I will throw in another great photo of Angus with that sexy Custom

Is that definitely the Manchester Apollo? I know the poster is but the Apollo is my local venue and I’ve never seen a barrier like that.
    Hey Goulash. Didn’t realise that the Apollo was your local venue, I’m from over the other side of the woodhead pass so I get to the Apollo on a good few occasions too. It’s funny because every time I’m there I always think of that photo. Got it in the old box set from the early 80’s and it’s still in there, really needs to come out and be put in a frame.
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Nov 30th 2019

Posted By: WhereeezangooseHey Goulash. Didn’t realise that the Apollo was your local venue, I’m from over the other side of the woodhead pass so I get to the Apollo on a good few occasions too. It’s funny because every time I’m there I always think of that photo. Got it in the old box set from the early 80’s and it’s still in there, really needs to come out and be put in a frame.

We’re practically neighbours :-) That’s the best photo of Angus ever taken in my opinion.
    Speaking of the Manchester Apollo, it’s 39 years ago tonight that I went to my first concert there... Iron Maiden supported by Simon Wright’s old band, AIIZ - although Simon wasn’t with them at the time.
    Posted By: Goulash
    Posted By: Pancake81Also, here is another one from the same night. And I will throw in another great photo of Angus with that sexy Custom

Is that definitely the Manchester Apollo? I know the poster is but the Apollo is my local venue and I’ve never seen a barrier like that.

Perhaps not Goulash,

I always assumed as the photos were so similar and figured the boys weren’t having professional photos taken at many shows at the time. You are likely right. In any case, I would wager they were taken very close in time/gigs
    Yep I think I agree it most definitely is the quintessential Angus pic. Re the band not having pro photos taken at many gigs, as far as I was aware Mr Ellis was them at all the Uk highway gigs throughout 79 into early 80. Maybe I’m wrong though!
    I've been waiting for these prints for a few years now.Robert has teased us many times. Unfortunately way beyond my budget.
    Still have the poster :)
    Bought it secondhand back in the ninetees
    • AC/DC rock music: Raff
    • Dec 1st 2019 edited

Posted By: Goulash

Liverpool / Empire
    On the topic of Robert Ellis, is there any way I can listen to the interview that Jem did with him back in 2015? I found the old threads, but the videos don't seem to work anymore. I'd love to hear what a man that close to the band in those pivotal years has to say.

Here's the thread I'm talking about
    http://www.acdcfans....
    For $2000 Canadian dollars I would expect prints to be band signed. I know Robert is a world-class rock photographer but I'd have to be rich to justify paying that money.

Just me. If someone has the dough and is into it more power to you.

But it makes me wonder about the economics: would Robert sell at least four times the volume he sells now at a quarter of the price? Or less? Or a lot more?

I also understand that he has a "brand" to maintain and selling below a certain threshold dilutes his brand's value. But I would think $500 (Canadian) for a print from the original photographer still denotes a premium cache for that photographer.

Who knows. I'll save my $2000 for a beach and unlimited drinks when I've got the extra shekels to spare...
    •  
    • 6 days ago

@bedlam, I am really disappointed with the pricing. It excludes all but the richest of fans from buying a great print and piece of AC/DC history.

From what I recall, Robert Ellis was fed up with how many cheap copies of this image have been made and ended up on eBay etc. Although in fairness you can't seem to find this image anywhere... But that may have influenced his choice of price.

I'm tempted to message him and ask for a more affordable print to be made available, but think I might just give up. He would have sold a lot more if he'd brought the price down, but I don't think that's what he wants.