[ Sign In | Register ]

• AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Nov 12th 2019

On February 13, 1980 (but there has been discussions if the recording session took place already a month prior) French band Trust recorded a version of AC/DCs Ride On on which Trust-singer Bernie Bonvoisin shared vocals with Bon. Has the complete version of it ever surfaced because up until now I only ever heard the one where part of the song has been cropped?

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Nov 12th 2019 edited

I'm pretty sure I've read from one of the Trust guys that what's been released is all that was recorded unfortunately.
    Bon was reportedly pretty drunk on these sessions. Still a bittersweet testament, being the last song he sang on in a studio as well as one of his best lyrics, and sadly prophetic.
    •  
    • Nov 12th 2019

Posted By: Venom InjectorBon was reportedly pretty drunk on these sessions.

According to who?
    Posted By: Venom InjectorBon was reportedly pretty drunk on these sessions. Still a bittersweet testament, being the last song he sang on in a studio as well as one of his best lyrics, and sadly prophetic.
    One of these days...
    Posted By: Grim177

According to who?

I think Trust, if I'm remembering well. He certainly sounds kinda fucking around anyway.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Nov 12th 2019

Posted By: Grim177

According to who?

I remember reading it too somewhere. I think Bernie also mentioned that Mick Cocks was with him.
    He sounds half tanked to be honest
    •  
    • Nov 13th 2019

The only place I've read that was Mick Walls book and that was evidently based on a assumption on his part as he didn't have any quotes or interviews with anybody who could of corroborated it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 13th 2019 edited

Pictures

TBH considering it was in that phase of his Life, I'd have been more surprised if he'd been sober during the session. Strange that not more was recorded though.
    •  
    • Nov 13th 2019

Posted By: soulstripper666TBH considering it was in that phase of his Life, I'd have been more surprised if he'd been sober during the session. Strange that not more was recorded though.
    presumably they also did Johnny Be Good. But that was never 'released'. Maybe they didn't record it.
    •  
    • Nov 13th 2019

Posted By: soulstripper666TBH considering it was in that phase of his Life, I'd have been more surprised if he'd been sober during the session. Strange that not more was recorded though

Not an unreasonable assumption but still an assumption none the less. Also with an experienced drinker like Bon, up to a certain point I doubt many who actually knew him could tell if he was drunk or not half the time. So personally I wouldn't claim to be able to tell one way or another.

I imagine it was completely impromptu. The fact that the engineer evidently didn't even start the tape rolling until the second verse shows how unplanned and off the cuff it was.

Posted By: Thankasspresumably they also did Johnny Be Good. But that was never 'released'. Maybe they didn't record it.

I thought they just played that the one time with Cheap Trick?
    You can tell by listening when Bon is drinking. His singing is slurred and rougher. And he’s drunk here, no doubt about it.
    •  
    • Nov 14th 2019

Posted By: Grim177I thought they just played that the one time with Cheap Trick?
    Yeah that's the known version, but it was mentioned on this site in the past: http://www.acdcfans....
    •  
    • Nov 14th 2019 edited

Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: Grim177I thought they just played that the one time with Cheap Trick?
    Yeah that's the known version, but it was mentioned on this site in the past:http://www.acdcfans....

That was a long time ago and with all due respect to Nitroangus23, I suspect he may of got his wires crossed. If they played something else, I've never seen it cited. Happy to be proved wrong of course.
    I believe my wires were crossed.

I think you all are correct,I was thinking of the Johnny Be Good played with Cheap Trick and mistakenly lumping it in with that version of Ride On with Trust.

I have had several versions of those in bootleg form and they're often paired together,I must have assumed they were the same gig.

Sorry folks :)
    Posted By: tomscotlandYou can tell by listening when Bon is drinking. His singing is slurred and rougher. And he’s drunk here, no doubt about it.

Absolutely!
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Nov 15th 2019

Posted By: nitroangus23I believe my wires were crossed.

I think you all are correct,I was thinking of the Johnny Be Good played with Cheap Trick and mistakenly lumping it in with that version of Ride On with Trust.

I have had several versions of those in bootleg form and they're often paired together,I must have assumed they were the same gig.

Sorry folks :)

The Cheap Trick jam was officially released on a fan club CD called Bunny’s Basement Bootlegs and Trust issued a promo CD with the Bon jam of Ride On on it.
    I have never had them on those releases, although I have become quite a fan of Cheap Trick over the last few years, have always wanted to track down those Bunn's Basement bootlegs just haven't bothered too yet. Good to know!

Cheers.