[ Sign In | Register ]

My personal least favorite of the bunch. Not necessarily the “most uninspired”, but the result is the weakest record they ever put out.

Yes? No?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Nov 3rd 2019 edited

Too much negativity on this forum recently. Let's celebrate the band instead.

---

Thunderstruck is one of their finest tunes.

•  
    • Nov 3rd 2019

The title track is nasty!

•  
    • Nov 3rd 2019 edited

Moneytalks is a huge commercial success that a lot of people love! Still played regularly on the radio.

•  
    • Nov 3rd 2019

More love for The Razors Edge!

•  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Nov 3rd 2019

TRE is awesome. Carlos said so.
    I’m all for celebrating the good stuff, but talking about the controversial stuff is equally entertaining.

I still thoroughly enjoy the record - TS of course is a triumphant ass kicker, FYG is a fun belter, Moneytalks is a great song, SOL has some classic Y/Y guitar work, and a few other tracks have some good ideas, but it’s one I listen to very rarely tbh. Certainly glad it boosted their popularity, though, and from what I’ve seen/heard of the tour, it kicked some absolutely gargantuan ass.
    The first 7 tracks are all legit (I personally really dislike Moneytalks, but the normies really like it). And though the album's sound has a tiresome quality to it, at least it's loud.

The main weak point is (outside of the first two tracks) the lyrics. I usually don't care about them, but since Brian is mixed front and center, I can't help but listen to them.

The other big weak point is a nearly complete lack of groove. The only song I can settle in to is Mistress For Christmas.

BTW:

Razors edge is weak? Bro you’re weak
    • AC/DC rock music: Treeman
    • Nov 3rd 2019

Totally disagree - I’d rather listen to it than half the catalog. It’s not better then HV or DD, but to be honest I listen to the complete album more than those two, and it’s the third best BJ album after BIB and FTATR. It has a punch that was missing from the three albums before it, and BJ hasn’t sounded as powerful since. He may sound cleaner on BI and ROB, but not as strong. It’s one of my favorites, 80s gloss and all. At least seven strong tracks.
    I will continue to be open about TRE being my least favorite, and I retract nothing I've said, but, just to curb any bad vibes or preconceptions that I'm pointlessly shitting on the record and/or completely dislike it, I'm changing the thread title.
    It’s a stronger album than Dirty Deeds and BI imo. I would probably put TRE third or fourth away from the bottom.
    Posted By: TreemanTotally disagree - I’d rather listen to it than half the catalog. It’s not better then HV or DD, but to be honest I listen to the complete album more than those two, and it’s the third best BJ album after BIB and FTATR. It has a punch that was missing from the three albums before it, and BJ hasn’t sounded as powerful since. He may sound cleaner on BI and ROB, but not as strong. It’s one of my favorites, 80s gloss and all. At least seven strong tracks.
    I love that Brian's up front, especially on tracks like FYG. "She got eyes of blue, body too, and legs that'll break your NEEEEEERVVVEEEES" - absolutely killer. I like that the guitars are punchy, but they are incredibly light throughout most of the record. Funnily enough, this record has a louder than usual bass sound, but even with that the whole thing sounds lacking in bottom end. That gives it a weird vibe.

The songwriting is what matters, though, and is why I put it last. About half is pretty amazing, while the other half is questionable. MFC and IYD are my two absolute least favorite ACDC songs, GAGRTBL is pretty boring and lacking in feeling (though a good solo), AYR kinda annoys me, and GYBTB and the title track are just decent.

TS, FYG, MT, and SOL are killer, though, and LMI and RYHO are pretty damn good, too. This is their most inconsistent record in that regard.
    I'm always amazed how excellent albums are slagged off on here. The only song I could call bad is Got Ya By the Balls. And even still, I can dig it when I'm in the right mood.

"Got your shorts, got your curlies - GOT YA!"

TS: A classic

FYG: Probably the last true high energy rocker they ever did. Those stabbing riffs trading off between the Youngs are so cool (and difficult to play!). And Brian absolutely rules on this. Best of all, the lyrics aren't even that stupid, they fit great. And I love the back and forth between Brian and the boys in the prechorus: "(fire!) when she's goin' down"
    And of course... "YEAAAAAAHHHHH, YOU WANT SOME FUUUNNNN?"

MT: Super catchy, such a brilliant verse riff, how can you dislike this song? Apparently you have to be an edgelord who uses terms like "normie"...

TRE: Fucking love this song. That beat is so precise it always reminds me of the marching beat of some dictator's army. Slade plays that beat like somebody whose life depends on it being 100% perfect. And obviously the song itself is dark and foreboding as hell, Angus' main lick is fucking genius, and his solo is pushing the boundaries of his capabilities, which is so cool. The bridge riff... Mal has never sounded so heavy. And finally, at the end where Brian screams "got a razor's edge" totally unaccompanied (especially in the live performance posted above)... fucking chills.

MFC: I love the sleazy vibe to this track. Took me time to really "get" it but I'm glad I do now. And Angus' little licks thrown in the verses are sleek as hell. Brian is the star here, vocals are just dripping with character. Probably the closest he got to a Night Prowler vibe IMO.

RYHO: Terribly underrated. Cliff shines for once! The way the guitars intermingle is so cool. And Brian's vocals in the verses are soulful as hell. And those weird, spacey pre-choruses are just another example of their diversity that gets overlooked. Plus, it has one of my favorite Brian-isms ... "CHA-GOTTA! Put your foot down..."

AYR: Total anthem. Love the Two's Up esque intro, really adds an epic vibe. A return of chaingang backing vocals missing since FOTW. And a tasty ass solo.

GYBTB: See above

SOL: Gets a lot of love around here, so I dont need to say

LMI: Brian's delivery of the verses, Angus' solo and the backing "na-na-na"s are what make an otherwise average track worth listening to IMO

G&GRTBL: Another underrated one. The verses are so fucking dirty and sleazy! Just the way Brian sings them... "back outta jail, and chasin some flooze". And the soulful way he sings the chorus right before the solo... fucking incredible. It always bears pointing out. Starts at 1:45

IYD: Possibly their most underrated song ever, seeing the bashing it takes around here. Those jazzy chords it opens up with and some kind of laugh(?) before Brian comes in with that bluesy "honey, do you love me?". And then the main riff, oh that main riff... it's so sinister, just the way it marches toward you like a stalker in a dark alleyway... And then we have Brian belting out high notes in the chorus (If you DAAAAAAARE). And finally, that complex backward riff that ends the solo section... just brilliant.

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinI love that Brian's up front, especially on tracks like FYG. "She got eyes of blue, body too, and legs that'll break your NEEEEEERVVVEEEES" - absolutely killer.

That's "body curves", not "body too".
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Nov 4th 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotI'm always amazed how excellent albums are slagged off on here. The only song I could call bad is Got Ya By the Balls. And even still, I can dig it when I'm in the right mood.....

I'm totally with you! I love TRE.
    My first Ac/Dc album in 1990, the rest is history hahaha...
    For me, TRE is particularly interesting. It has some of the band's finest tunes, and also, one of the band's weakest ones... MFC, i mean, what is that? It has awesome moments though. In general, i like it a lot.
    The drums sound cold/robotic,and the production is a bit hollow and sterile.

That being said,I love the album actually. I think Slade would have went over way better had his kit been produced like it was in Big Gun,and I wish the record was bit more "thick" sound wise.

The lyrics are the best Young/Young have done imo. and even though stuff like Mistress For Christmas, Let's Make It,and If You Dare get tons of shit, I can't help but love'em.

Every song is enjoyable, some less than others, and it's not BIB or anything in the 6 pack,but it's a good record.

5 killer tracks

Thunderstruck
    Moneytalks
    Are You Ready
    Shot Of Love
    Fire Your Guns

Mistress For Christmas is awesome...the guitars are ripping and Brian's delivery makes it.

Goodbye and Good Riddance is underrated also.... Rock Your Heart Out has that goofy ass chorus but it rocks too.
    Thunderstruck is an undoubted classic. I have to give that track full respect, after all it rescued the band and instead of heading into theatres they went into arenas and stadiums...all off the back of one song. AC/DC picked up a shitload of new fans and that can't be a bad thing can it?

But, but but....what followed after TS was mainly dross of the highest order especially side 2.

Fire Your Guns - decent uptempo number but nobody is crying for this to be played live anymore are there?
    Moneytalks - fuckin' ell. Just terrible, no balls, no soul no nothing. Latter day nursery rhyme.
    The Razors Edge - one of those ominous doomy things that AC/DC seem to try quite often, sometimes they work (Hells Bells, Night Prowler) sometimes they don't (Breaking the Rules, Dogs of Plod) and sometimes they sit in between the two. This is where TRE finds it niche. Its ok, not bad but its not great is it?
    Mistress For Christmas - Total novelty song. Shoulda been a b-side. How its ended up on the album is one of life's mysteries
    Rock Your (little) Hear Out - it coulda been a contender, but then they ruin it with that chorus - Roooock, rock your little heaaaaart out - I can still hear it in my nightmares. Who thought that chorusy bit was a good idea??? Same genius that included MFC on the album, that who pprobably.
    Are You Ready - no, fuck off. But during the World Cup last year when it was being used to promote Coca Cola I kinda softened on it a bit. Don't tell anyone.
    Shot of Love - I love this one. A rare Oasis in a sea of shit
    AYR, GYBTB, LMI, GBAGRTBL - total shit. I'm sorry if anyone is offended but these 4 offenders are probably the worst things AC/DC have ever put out with Brian. Dull, ploddy, uninspired, lifeless - fucking hate them. Where's the groove? Is that a drum machine?

It could have been so much more as an album but once Thunderstruck was in the can I feel that little or scant attention was paid to the rest of the album.
    Breaking the Rules is ominous and doomy? What song are you listening to??

It feels more like an attempt at Brian being nostalgic than “ominous”.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Nov 4th 2019

I have always loved this album. It gave the boost the band was looking for to start a new decade with the right foot.

I have no problem at all with any song off the album and yes Chris is no Phil Rudd but he did a great job on the tour.

Thunderstruck is THE supreme rock track ever.
    • AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Nov 4th 2019 edited

Posted By: Pedro HodeckerFor me, TRE is particularly interesting. It has some of the band's finest tunes, and also, one of the band's weakest ones... MFC, i mean, what is that? It has awesome moments though. In general, i like it a lot.

Exactly. Of course we can skip over what we dislike, but if you see an album as a body of work, leaving off some filler and releasing this as a 10 track album would have made it much stronger overall imho.

Many don't like the radio friendliness, but TS and MT being played so much made me aware of the band. I was only 13. TRE was the "gateway AC/DC" for me.

Yeah funny I guess, but I discovered the magical Bon era, monstrous BiB, etc, via TRE. Lol

I don't listen to it much now. But it is a unique album, and just through it giving us TS alone, makes it special. AYR gets some hate around here but it's my fav from the album. Buddy of mine early 90s had a personalized license plate on his truck he liked it so much - "RUREADY". He kept it for years.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Nov 4th 2019

I really like most of the songs on it. But I have two issues with it: It's production aged terribly and the drumming lacks in terms of groove for the most part.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 4th 2019

The sound of it resembles the album cover.
    Shiny but metallic and robotic. Overall sound is thin and cold. Brian's vocals are often covered in echo.

But the catchy tracks brought them back into the light in the US. And that was important. A bit like HTH was in '79.

TRE with a SUL kinda cover would have another psychological effect imo.
    I'm not quite as strongly opinionated as Carlos, but we're at least in the same boat/cruise ship.

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotThat's "body curves", not "body too".
    My mistake ;)

As for IYD - I quite like the first 20 seconds (aside from the weird... laughing? in the background), but the rest of the song is just bad. The whole "come outside" bit sounds like a 5 year old threatening his neighbor - "oh, yeah? Why don't you come outside!" or something like that. Even a pretty damn tasty solo can't save it, but it does make me come to this conclusion - I can find SOMETHING to enjoy about even the worst ACDC songs.

If only the whole record were as tasty (that just seems to be a good word to use here) as SOL - the way the guitars are placed in the beat, and the chords, themselves, are fantastic, and the little interjections Angus does in the verses (along with the solo) are absolutely wonderful. I'd love to hear what Rudd could have done with the track. Same with RYHO, though the chorus could be better.
    •  
    • Nov 4th 2019

Posted By: ThankassThe sound of it resembles the album cover.
    Shiny but metallic and robotic. Overall sound is thin and cold. Brian's vocals are often covered in echo.

But the catchy tracks brought them back into the light in the US. And that was important. A bit like HTH was in '79.

TRE with a SUL kinda cover would have another psychological effect imo.
    Very well said. An album cover can give a record some sort of mood before you even hear what it sounds like, and while the production is of course what matters and what is truly the deciding factor, the cover must be chosen carefully. You can look at the DD international album cover and just know that the record is gonna be the musical embodiment of whatever filth can be found in a cheap motel.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Nov 4th 2019

It was / is a controversial one. When it came out, after the weirdness of BUYV, which seemed to lose the big gang chorus songs they’d had with Brian previously, I was pretty disappointed on first listen. Only about half the album seemed to have that style to it, and even then, it almost felt like a different band to even 5-7 years previous. Then you take the shrill, metallic sound, Angus not having his classic tones, the lack of groove in the drums, the use of effects (though paradoxically they helped to make Thunderstruck the track it was)….

However, I grew to like it a lot, and in the last few years I’ve found I prefer it to Ballbreaker or SUL because there’s only one song I’d skip (Rock Your Heart Out – which is overworked, flogging a dead horse, and just awful). Also Brian still had a lot of power, and that carried the songs along nicely. The album’s no classic, but it’s enjoyable.

I’m not mad about the title track, it’s good, just too metal-sounding, but somehow I can listen to Mistress For Christmas which I fucked HATED initially!

Perhaps it’s no wonder I like the album given I enjoy side B, and am fond of Let’s Make It and If You Dare, which seem generally not popular! A song like Got You By The Balls is a bit stodgy, but it’s still good, it’s a proper song, I’d rather that than Come And Get It or Damned which both have good / bad chorus compared to verse (i.e., or vice-versa).

Angus was still soloing in his old way, Mal had a great sound, the production is nice and uncluttered once you get used to it. The banal lyrics (in some cases, not all) were better than what was to come, even if I was initially a bit “WTF?” by such basic, dumb-sounding titles like Are You Ready – the difference from previous was very clear.

All in all, it represented where they were at the time. A strange choice of drummer, a need for commercial rejuvenation, a lead vocalist with a different voice, a bunch of songs but way off their best years. But even so, still a good album, with some great moments.
    •  
    • Nov 4th 2019

The season is upon us!

• Nov 4th 2019

Thing is, one has to accept that rarely does a band stay at its peak for long... I'm just listening to Flick Of The Switch while I finish work...just 7 years previous to TRE. And fucking hell, what an album it is. Just one cork-popper after another from start to finish.

The band by the time of TRE was just a different thing by then (and of course, that includes no Rudd). Nothing to be ashamed of, still good, just not at that level anymore.
    I’ll put it ahead of almost every record that followed it, they have some really strong tracks in TS, AYR and MT. Lyrics are daft, but the music is great, none of the following records have such a trifecta of memorable singles.
    Mike Fraser said that Black Ice had similarities with TRE and he has a point. Both albums are more polished than say BB or SUL. Other than that, both BI and TRE were huge commercial successes. Production is kind of sterile, but clean and clear. TRE has more pop hooks than BI. Both Fairbairn and O'Brien put a stronger emphasis on the vocals.
    Posted By: MeanstreakMike Fraser said that Black Ice had similarities with TRE and he has a point. Both albums are more polished than say BB or SUL. Other than that, both BI and TRE were huge commercial successes. Production is kind of sterile, but clean and clear. TRE has more pop hooks than BI. Both Fairbairn and O'Brien put a stronger emphasis on the vocals.
    Eh, I understand the whole polish aspect of that, but the way in which TRE and BI are polished sound completely different. BI sounds VERY well rounded, yet the whole record can feel like it has too much sound at times, if that makes any sense. There's plenty of high end and low end, but there's just too much all together sometimes. TRE never feels like too much sound, but the whole thing lacks in bottom end.
    More good quality songs than Rock or Bust...and Ballbreaker...and Stiff Upper Lip...and Blow up your Video...and Fly on the Wall...and Black Ice...
    Good album but honestly my least favorite. Like most people already said the production hasn’t aged well. I can’t listen to the studio version of Moneytalks anymore the live version on Live is so much better. I’ve grown to like pretty much every song. Regarding If You Dare, the solo makes the song worth existing to me
    I do agree with those finding the album's production pretty cold and metallic, with robotic-sounding drums. Powerful enough, especially compared with the sterile BUYV production, but too much arena-sounding and akin to Metal for a band like AC/DC. I often feel like it was the equivalent of Metallica's "Black Album" for AC/DC, heavier and big sounding but also kinda monolithic, filled with arena-pleasing singles and slightly commercial. It's easy to see why the US audience loved it. It's probably pretty much what they were aiming for with BUYV but couldn't manage to achieve. I think its commercial appeal, singles, videos and the whole promotion around it (including the tour and "Live" album) made it really big and a lot of younger people came to knew the band with that album back then, so it remained a lot of people's favourite, still far from their best efforts. It feels a bit like the casual AC/DC's listener album to go, especially because of TS (it became one of those songs that I can barely tolerate anymore after hearing it everywhere for the past 29 years, a bit like Metallica's "Enter Sandman" or Pantera's "Walk", if you know what I mean).

This said, it had some good songs; TS is a classic, FYG one of the best modern-era AC/DC's "fast" songs, MT a melodious but tolerable radio-single. The title-track is a ominous, Metal-sounding, doomier track which feels very unusual for the band but had its charm; AYR is a radio-friendly track but it's very solid and the pre-chorus + chorus definitely work great; GYBTB is a typical second-rate, late-AC/DC track but it's kinda tough-sounding and probably would have felt better on some other album with a different production. Everything else for me is mostly fillers in between "meh" and plain bad, with some occasional interesting ideas/riffs (IYD at least was quite original). I think RYHO is one of the worst songs they ever wrote. Angus' solos and general guitar work on the album are excellent. The Brian Johnson's change of voice is here complete but he still sounds better than on BUYV.

In my personal Brian Johnson-era chart I'd rate it my second least favourite after BUYV, or at least on par with BI in terms of albums where I like just half of the songs and never really listen to very often.
    The best thing about TRE is that the subsequent tours and "Live" album rocked and the best songs from the album turned out excellent in those recordings, better than on TRE itself.
    I was relieved though when Phil Rudd came back and the band did BB, which is among my favourites of the Brian's era and totally took me by surprise back then. It's mindblowing to think how the band sounded different after just 5 years.
    • Nov 4th 2019

I agree with the comparison with BI's production, but also that the latter was more over-produced, more going on, more fucking about generally. Both have a sound that's good, but somehow a little cold and unnatural. I'm being harsh here, I mean BI is a good-sounding record as is TRE, but for sure neither have that classic feel in the overall sound of the thing.

I think Brian's manic vocals elevated certain songs; there are several that just wouldn't have had the same punch only five years later with Ballbreaker.

It's odd that this was way back in 1990, and yet that was the last studio album with Angus soloing in that style, with those fast, fluid runs. I'd never have predicted that.
    I'd take Good Bye and Good Riddance over anything on Ballboring, Black Wallmart and Rock or Where's my Drummer anytime.

There.

Oh, edit, Slade's snare on this one is pretty good. Yes yes yes no Rudd JFC, but still pretty cool, listen to it:

•  
    • Nov 5th 2019 edited

Posted By: BallToucherI'd take Good Bye and Good Riddance over anything on Ballboring, Black Wallmart and Rock or Where's my Drummer anytime.

There.

How rude!

p.s. You spelled Walmart wrong. : )
    • Nov 5th 2019

Goodbye and Good Riddance is great!
    Posted By: Infernop.s. You spelled Walmart wrong. : )

Fuck my life!

Posted By: 900Goodbye and Good Riddance is great!

Killer track. And that solo? I really think the passage of time has been kind to The Razors Edge.
    Also the whole thing is full of Brianisms. Gotta love the Brianisms. It's full of them. I specially dig the AAAAW YEEEEEAH before the solo.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Nov 5th 2019

Posted By: BallToucherI really think the passage of time has been kind to The Razors Edge.

No shit ;)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Nov 5th 2019

A potentially mediocre song made great by Brian's amazing delivery.
    I think it’s well known that I’m not a fan of TRE.
    But I’ll concede this - Moneytalks, Are You already and the title track are fairly epic. The first two are poppy and chant along melodic as fuck. The third is dark enough to be interesting. Some really nice work from Angus.
    I like the album but I would take out 3 songs, I think GYBTB is too slow and drags a bit, LMI "na na na" sounds boring to me and IYD its just one of my least favorite AC/DC songs for the same "come outside" reasons xD

The rest is gold, specially Shot of Love, I always get a Bon Scott vibe when I listen to it :)
    Posted By: BallToucherI'd take Good Bye and Good Riddance over anything on Ballboring, Black Wallmart and Rock or Where's my Drummer anytime.

There.

Oh, edit, Slade's snare on this one is pretty good. Yes yes yes no Rudd JFC, but still pretty cool, listen to it:

Lmao those nicknames rival Stiff Upper Sleep!

I love Goodbye and Good Riddance also, great song.
    Posted By: nitroangus23those nicknames rival Stiff Upper Sleep!

I dunno, I overdid myself with that one :P
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Nov 6th 2019

Posted By: BallToucher
    Killer track.
    One man's killer is another man's filler. I guess.
    • Nov 6th 2019

Posted By: BallToucher

Killer track. And that solo?

It's a very cool solo, pure Angus. I wish he'd return to that fluid way of playing. And I agree about the Brianisms!

Posted By: DustDevilA potentially mediocre song made great by Brian's amazing delivery.

There is an element of that, but then there is about many post-6-pack songs if you think about it..
    Posted By: nitroangus23The drums sound cold/robotic,and the production is a bit hollow and sterile.

That being said,I love the album actually. I think Slade would have went over way better had his kit been produced like it was in Big Gun,and I wish the record was bit more "thick" sound wise.

That's funny because I think the drums in Big Gun sound like crap. Kind of amazing really, that the same producer managed to get the exquisite drum sound of Ballbreaker.

I'm also surprised how everyone is saying the production is outdated. BUYV is more typically '80s, with lots of reverb and the guitars too quiet. Especially with the buried vocals of the prior two albums, TRE was a massive breath of fresh air and still sounds great today, only really lacking the bottom end. I love the splashy sound of Slade's snare, it gives the album an unmistakably unique tone and keeps your focus on the drums when it's usually so easy to just ignore them. Yes, Slade's lack of swing holds back some songs, but it also really works on others, like the title track. However, I feel like he actually manages a bit of a groove for If You Dare.

Somebody mentioned an echo on Brian, but that never seems to bother anybody with HTH on Bon...

Posted By: BallToucherOh, edit, Slade's snare on this one is pretty good. Yes yes yes no Rudd JFC, but still pretty cool, listen to it:

Agreed, Slade's snare on the album is fucking powerful.

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    As for IYD - I quite like the first 20 seconds (aside from the weird... laughing? in the background), but the rest of the song is just bad. The whole "come outside" bit sounds like a 5 year old threatening his neighbor - "oh, yeah? Why don't you come outside!" or something like that.

Dear God, what kind of goat-voiced 5 year olds are in your neighborhood?!?!

Seriously though IDK, that just seems cynical to me. Like saying Night Prowler reminds you of a toddler because of "crawlin 'cross your floor" lol