[ Sign In | Register ]

Hey everyone, frequent lurker here,

I'm giving a presentation next week about Rock 'n' Roll and what the phrase means beyond the literal definition of the genre and I'm looking for a video of Malcolm that I want to show as part of it. I have a specific video in mind. It's a clip of the band playing where Malcolm breaks a string, right before Angus starts his solo, so Mal tosses his guitar to the ground and slides it across the floor to a roadie who hands him the backup. I know I saw it on here a while ago, but I can't seem to find it again. If anyone could hook me up with a link to the video, that would be fantastic. For reference, I think they're playing Whole Lotta Rosie, and I think it's on the Ballbreaker tour, although I'm not certain, it's definitely pre-2000 Brian era though. Thanks for the help.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Nov 1st 2019

Towards the end of this video?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Nov 1st 2019

Around 20:50 mark
    Posted By: bonlives

That’s one of them. There is another vendor where Mal does this, but slides it much further. It was posted here a few years back, and I even posted a thread looking for it a while ago. Never seen it since. It was a beauty
    Colchester University Rocker. Malcolm is awesome
    Posted By: bonlives

Hah, I was there :-D
    Now, that was a fast guitar change hahah.
    Pancake, I think I may have actually been thinking of the one you mentioned, because the one Bonlives posted doesn't seem quite the same as what I remember. Either way, thank you Bonlives, this is just what I need.
    The other video was better quality as well.
    Hi folks! After reading this post, I know about one example were Mal for sure had a Gretsch-swap during "Whole lotta Rosie".
    If you check this soundclip, (sorry, have no video) you can start at about 47:35, and a few seconds later on there for SURE happens something that didn`t do Mal`s Gretsch any good.. A weird, "I don`t know if there is a word that can describe THAT sound", is clearly hearable from your left channel! Btw, this is Bon-era...

That's called "a guitar going out of tune".
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Nov 4th 2019

Donington '81, Mal actually threw his guitar onto the stage before getting a new one.
    Posted By: azelDonington '81, Mal actually threw his guitar onto the stage before getting a new one.

Is there actually video of that?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Nov 4th 2019 edited

Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: azelDonington '81, Mal actually threw his guitar onto the stage before getting a new one.

Is there actually video of that?

If there is, I've never seen it.
    Ah. I always forget about you old fuckers graced with the privilege to see the band in the glory days. Cheers :)
    • AC/DC rock music: peluso8
    • Nov 4th 2019

Was that how the white falcon got damaged?
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Nov 4th 2019

There probably exists a video of that gig. About 10 or 15 years ago I interviewed Hannes Rossacher, who along with his partner Rudi Dolezal directed many of Queen's videos in the 80s (Friends Will Be Friends for example). And we had a little off the records chat and he told me that they filmed AC/DCs gig at Donington 1981. But I can't remember if he said that they filmed the whole gig or just part of it. He told me that he approached AC/DCs record company when he heard they were preparing a DVD with unreleased stuff (which then turned out to be Plug Me In) but at that stage the whole thing was already pretty much finished and just waiting for release so they couldn't include it anymore. This clip is part of what they filmed:

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Nov 4th 2019

That's a damn cool video. (Wish the sound was better though.) Thanks for posting!