[ Sign In | Register ]

This show from Sept 8, 1979 was posted back in August. Don't know if folks have seen it:

Not Bon's best night as he introduces Problem Child before they do Sin City, he almost bumps into Angus and falls down during Bad Boy Boogie. And Angus needs help from the roadies and Bon to get back on stage at one point. Ah, life on the road. Still, a Bon show I've never seen is always a rare treat for any fan here. Especially, for me, hearing Bon do my favorite AC/DC song: Shot Down in Flames.
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Oct 24th 2019

Thanx!
    As always, great to hear and see Bon :)
    • AC/DC rock music: RC/KC
    • Oct 24th 2019

What does Bon shout at 17.28 during Rocker?

“Shake A Leg!”
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Oct 24th 2019

Posted By: RC/KCWhat does Bon shout at 17.28 during Rocker?

“Shake A Leg!”

Certainly sounds like it.
    Another hint that he wrote the lyrics for the BiB album.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Elvir79
    • Oct 25th 2019 edited

Posted By: MeanstreakAnother hint that he wrote the lyrics for the BiB album.

Here in Sin City he said "...all night long" about 1:56

He's got an "All... night... long" in Dirty Eyes.

I've always believed they used some of Bon's lyrics for Back in Black and I've never seen it as a bad thing.
    I’d bet that Bon said the words “Landslide”, “Danger”, and the phrases “If You Dare” and “Nick of Time” at least once in his life. You know what that means... ;)
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinI’d bet that Bon said the words “Landslide”, “Danger”, and the phrases “If You Dare” and “Nick of Time” at least once in his life. You know what that means... ;)

He sure did. And you know damn well he was the one cutting cakes with his knife. ;)

“Shake A Leg!”

It was at this moment Jessie Fink began writing his 3rd book.

"Bon wrote it allllllll!!!"
    Posted By: nitroangus23

“Shake A Leg!”

I think while the book is a bit pretentious he got some good points here and there. I always thought the BIB album lyrics were a team work including some ideas written down from Bon, Young/Young inputs and Brian's ideas. C'mon, they didn't have enough time to write lyrics like that and they sound completely different from everything they did afterwards. Also, that story about Bon's family getting royalties for the album seemed to have some sources apparently. They probably credited Brian as the sole songwriter cause it would have looked bad to have a new singer who couldn't write his own lyrics, and probably it was some sort of royalty check for becoming part of AC/DC.
    Posted By: Venom InjectorAlso, that story about Bon's family getting royalties for the album seemed to have some sources apparently.

Can you show us these sources? This has been discussed here before, this "royalties" story gets thrown around but nobody has come up with something that actually proves it.
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Oct 26th 2019

Someone get the Ouija board out....
    Ask for proof of the royalties on BIB to the Scott family on the “Bon Scott Forum” group on FB and see how that goes.
    Posted By: flattusmaximusAsk for proof of the royalties on BIB to the Scott family on the “Bon Scott Forum” group on FB and see how that goes.
    "Ah, shit, I must have left it in my other pants"
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Oct 27th 2019

It always amazes me how the often cited argument for the conspiracy theory surrounding the lyrics for the Back In Black album is how quickly the album was made. Well, look how quickly the early albums were put together, in rapid succession, with the band relentlessly gigging, with up to 3 shows per day. Does that mean that Dave Evans must have written them? Of course not!
    It’s well documented that Bon would be in the kitchen at Alberts, knocking up lyrics while the band were recording the music and whilst he kept a notebook with ideas, I don’t believe for one minute that Bon had pages of lyrics ready to be set to music.
    If Bon could write lyrics on the hoof then why couldn’t Brian? He wrote a song one evening with Tony Joe White and the lyrics were pure genius. I’m not saying that he didn’t have support when writing the lyrics for the Back In Black album but I do think it’s a tad insulting to suggest that Brian wasn’t capable of writing them.
    Brian wrote a song with Tony Joe White??
    • Oct 27th 2019 edited

Posted By: MeanstreakBrian wrote a song with Tony Joe White??

He did indeed. It was called “Voodoo Woman”. Tony was one of Brian’s heroes.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: flattusmaximusAsk for proof of the royalties on BIB to the Scott family on the “Bon Scott Forum” group on FB and see how that goes.
    "Ah, shit, I must have left it in my other pants"

They all share that same pair of pants I swear.

Their other argument, Brian never wrote any hits before joining ac/dc; don’t remind them that Bon wasn’t famous for any crackers (which is okay) before teaming up with the boys.
    Posted By: Goulash

I will head listening to that one.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Oct 27th 2019

Posted By: Venom Injector

“Shake A Leg!”

I think while the book is a bit pretentious he got some good points here and there. I always thought the BIB album lyrics were a team work including some ideas written down from Bon, Young/Young inputs and Brian's ideas. C'mon, they didn't have enough time to write lyrics like that and they sound completely different from everything they did afterwards. Also, that story about Bon's family getting royalties for the album seemed to have some sources apparently. They probably credited Brian as the sole songwriter cause it would have looked bad to have a new singer who couldn't write his own lyrics, and probably it was some sort of royalty check for becoming part of AC/DC.

Why wouldn't they have enough time to write the lyrics? They were on the Bahamas about 6 weeks and did about 2 weeks rehearsels in London before IIRC. You really think you need more than 8 weeks to come up with lyrics for 10 rock'n'roll songs? Have you ever written a song or a lyric? I could come up easily with lyrics to ten songs in less than 8 weeks. What else had Brian to do in that time except for singing and writing lyrics? So he had plenty of time to write.
    • Oct 27th 2019

Posted By: Meanstreak
    Posted By: Goulash

I will head listening to that one.

If only it had been released.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Elvir79
    • Oct 27th 2019

Posted By: Rocco

“Shake A Leg!”

Why wouldn't they have enough time to write the lyrics? They were on the Bahamas about 6 weeks and did about 2 weeks rehearsels in London before IIRC. You really think you need more than 8 weeks to come up with lyrics for 10 rock'n'roll songs? Have you ever written a song or a lyric? I could come up easily with lyrics to ten songs in less than 8 weeks. What else had Brian to do in that time except for singing and writing lyrics? So he had plenty of time to write.

If for GOOD 10 rock'n'roll songs it takes a little time to write and compose, why then the next albums not were at the Back in Black level. They had time to write as much as you want!
    • AC/DC rock music: RC/KC
    • Oct 27th 2019 edited

I think the main thing is that “shake a leg” is quite an unusual thing to say in that context - don’t think I’ve heard any singer say that to a crowd before. It could be a complete coincidence or it could be that the phrase was in Bon’s mind at the time. It could have been a title that the Young brothers had because they came up with a lot of the titles. I think hearing this just suggests that maybe “Shake A Leg” was floating around as a song idea/title while Bon was around - whether it came from him or the brothers. And the timing is just right - just before they made BIB.
    • Oct 27th 2019

Posted By: Elvir79

“Shake A Leg!”

If for GOOD 10 rock'n'roll songs it takes a little time to write and compose, why then the next albums not were at the Back in Black level. They had time to write as much as you want!

I was talking about lyrics, not complete songs. The lyrics on the subsequent albums (until BUYV) were by no means worse than the one's on BIB. Especially BUYV has some of Brian's best lyrics. The quality of the lyrics only faced a noticable drop in quality after the Youngs decided to write 'em all by themselves. Although the lyrics on TRE were still ok for the most part.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Oct 27th 2019

Posted By: RC/KCI think the main thing is that “shake a leg” is quite an unusual thing to say in that context - don’t think I’ve heard any singer say that to a crowd before. It could be a complete coincidence or it could be that the phrase was in Bon’s mind at the time. It could have been a title that the Young brothers had because they came up with a lot of the titles. I think hearing this just suggests that maybe “Shake A Leg” was floating around as a song idea/title while Bon was around - whether it came from him or the brothers. And the timing is just right - just before they made BIB.
    WDYDFMH title and a chunk of the lyrics originated from the early Powerage sessions (Source: Malcolm). Ian Jeffrey even stated that a pretty big part of the lyrics were coming from Mutt (pretty legimate if you see some choice of words). I think it was constructed from different sources (Bon, Malcolm, George, Angus, Brian, Mutt and Tony)
    Lyrics on FOTS are definitely a step behind those of BiB.
    Listen, about BIB lyrics, there are opinions, people surrounding the band talking half truths, interviews with people who might-or-not-might be credible sources, conspiracy-theories and whatever. We will never know the truth anyway, so it just goes down to personal opinions besides the offcial credits. My opinion is "I always thought the BIB album lyrics were a team work including some ideas written down from Bon, Young/Young inputs and Brian's ideas. " It's debatable as everything else that's been said since 1980. I didn't want to discredit anybody of the band here. If Brian wrote all the lyrics himself, more power to him, he certainly did enough over the years besides the BIB album for me to earn my respect anyway.
    • Oct 27th 2019

Posted By: Venom InjectorListen, about BIB lyrics, there are opinions, people surrounding the band talking half truths, interviews with people who might-or-not-might be credible sources, conspiracy-theories and whatever. We will never know the truth anyway, so it just goes down to personal opinions besides the offcial credits. My opinion is "I always thought the BIB album lyrics were a team work including some ideas written down from Bon, Young/Young inputs and Brian's ideas. " It's debatable as everything else that's been said since 1980. I didn't want to discredit anybody of the band here. If Brian wrote all the lyrics himself, more power to him, he certainly did enough over the years besides the BIB album for me to earn my respect anyway.

I pretty much have the same opinion regarding the BIB lyrics as you. I wouldn't be too surprised if there are some lines or even a few verses and titles that had been written by Bon. And Mutt probably did contribute a lot, too. We will probably never find out who did exactly write what on that album. But I just don't get the point that they had to rely on Bon's lyrics because there wasn't enough time to write the lyrics to 10 songs over a time span of almost two months. Because if you are not capable of writing 10 song lyrics in that time frame you might as well stop writing all together.
    Posted By: Venom InjectorListen, about BIB lyrics, there are opinions, people surrounding the band talking half truths, interviews with people who might-or-not-might be credible sources, conspiracy-theories and whatever. We will never know the truth anyway, so it just goes down to personal opinions besides the offcial credits. My opinion is "I always thought the BIB album lyrics were a team work including some ideas written down from Bon, Young/Young inputs and Brian's ideas. " It's debatable as everything else that's been said since 1980. I didn't want to discredit anybody of the band here. If Brian wrote all the lyrics himself, more power to him, he certainly did enough over the years besides the BIB album for me to earn my respect anyway.

I pretty much have the same opinion regarding the BIB lyrics as you. I wouldn't be too surprised if there are some lines or even a few verses and titles that had been written by Bon. And Mutt probably did contribute a lot, too. We will probably never find out who did exactly write what on that album. But I just don't get the point that they had to rely on Bon's lyrics because there wasn't enough time to write the lyrics to 10 songs over a time span of almost two months. Because if you are not capable of writing 10 song lyrics in that time frame you might as well stop writing all together.

Yeah, I get your point. At least, if it's rock 'n' roll lyrics and if literally "you have one job", meaning you're in the studio and that's all you have to do for weeks. Still, some inspiration is needed, and the Youngs were probably very busy with the guitar parts and arrangements; BIB not only has pretty good lyrics, the metrics are incredibly good (title-track or WDYDFMH are great examples), so it didn't sound like a rushed work at all. If Brian managed to do that in such a relatively short time he was definitely the man for the job, besides the quality of the lyrics. He always seemed very shy in his early AC/DC years and he never really gave any insight on the lyrics over all these years besides "Hells Bells", so I guess it all added to the general doubts. For FTATR he was a lot more talkative about lyrics in interviews already back then.
    I also think the BIB lyrics are over-stated in their quality. "Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll is just ... rock and roll." True wordsmith work right there!

I'd say if anything, Mutt helped the most because FTATR had very similar lyric quality and style. Although I disagree that FOTS was a significant drop off or even change in style beyond it being a different album with different subject matter. Is anyone going to seriously claim Nervous Shakedown is worse than Givin The Dog lyrically?
    Given the gog a bone sure has better lyrics for the purpose of hard and sleazy rock n' roll than Nervous shakedown.
    For what its worth i reckon the lyrics to back in black was a group project and there were probably the odd word from most band members threw in there. But theres no doubting in my opinion some of Bon Scotts ideas were used and various lyrics from him. Brian was capable of writing most of the lyrics no doubt. To me even if the full truth came out it wouldnt change the album. Theres people who add the odd line to lyrics and are never given the credits. It happens.

I agree with this 100%! ^^^ I think one would have to be naive to think that the lyrics on the Back in Black album did not at the very least include ideas (or lyrics) that were from Bon, Young & Young. Considering Angus and Malcolm have mentioned in interviews that before his death Bon was already writing lyrics and forming ideas for lyrics for their next album. Therefore it makes perfect sense that Bon, Young and Young would have at the very least contributed lyrical ideas together with Brian for the new album, being Back in Black. I believe it was a team effort that included input in some way from Bon's lyrical ideas.
    Of course that's just my personal opinion.
    Highway To Hell was written by Bon/Malcom/Angus/Mutt.

Why people think that same combination of people (swapping Bon for Brian) would not create like minded ideas is a bit beyond me.

The songs came along quick and stayed true to the band's style and sound because it still had plenty of the main writers involved!

I love Bon like anyone else does, but I would not for a second doubt that Angus and Malcolm and Mutt (and George before him)didn't help with the words here and there, song titles ect. It was a collective effort.

Same can be said for Brian,whilst it was fast, there is no reason to think it's impossible for him and the others to write songs that are in a similar fashion when you consider he had the same people around him as Bon did.

They all wanted to make another AC/DC album,and it's clear Brian was surrounded by people who also genuinely wanted them to succeed,who knew he had big shoes to fill.Between the Young's and the crew,he had a lot of things in place to help guide him along,support ect.They dug deep and put forth all their efforts to do so, hell it's even been mentioned Tony Platt suggested a line here and there lyrically. By all accounts it sounds as though Brian wrote the majority of the songs and they all helped collectively hone and shape them into the AC/DC mold with their various suggestions and ideas.

Even if a song title had been repurposed or a phrase from Bon's era, lest we forget Bon wrote WITH Angus,Mal,and George. I can't imagine they'd toss aside an idea of it were good.
    • Oct 28th 2019

Posted By: nitroangus23Highway To Hell was written by Bon/Malcom/Angus/Mutt.

Why people think that same combination of people (swapping Bon for Brian) would not create like minded ideas is a bit beyond me.

The songs came along quick and stayed true to the band's style and sound because it still had plenty of the main writers involved!

I love Bon like anyone else does, but I would not for a second doubt that Angus and Malcolm and Mutt (and George before him)didn't help with the words here and there, song titles ect. It was a collective effort.

Same can be said for Brian,whilst it was fast, there is no reason to think it's impossible for him and the others to write songs that are in a similar fashion when you consider he had the same people around him as Bon did.

They all wanted to make another AC/DC album,and it's clear Brian was surrounded by people who also genuinely wanted them to succeed,who knew he had big shoes to fill.Between the Young's and the crew,he had a lot of things in place to help guide him along,support ect.They dug deep and put forth all their efforts to do so, hell it's even been mentioned Tony Platt suggested a line here and there lyrically. By all accounts it sounds as though Brian wrote the majority of the songs and they all helped collectively hone and shape them into the AC/DC mold with their various suggestions and ideas.

Even if a song title had been repurposed or a phrase from Bon's era, lest we forget Bon wrote WITH Angus,Mal,and George. I can't imagine they'd toss aside an idea of it were good.

Spot on!
    Posted By: nitroangus23They all wanted to make another AC/DC album,and it's clear Brian was surrounded by people who also genuinely wanted them to succeed,who knew he had big shoes to fill.Between the Young's and the crew,he had a lot of things in place to help guide him along,support ect.They dug deep and put forth all their efforts to do so, hell it's even been mentioned Tony Platt suggested a line here and there lyrically. By all accounts it sounds as though Brian wrote the majority of the songs and they all helped collectively hone and shape them into the AC/DC mold with their various suggestions and ideas.

Fair enough, looks like a realistic scenario.
    Posted By: MeanstreakGiven the gog a bone sure has better lyrics for the purpose of hard and sleazy rock n' roll than Nervous shakedown.

Uhh okay, AC/DC aren't JUST sleazy though. Bon was at his best when he had a story to tell and so is Brian. You're just adding a random qualifier to move the goalposts and discredit NS. That's like saying Caught w/ Your Pants Down has better lyrics for sleazy rock than Back in Black. That's not what the other song is about. Guess what, dogs don't make great cats either. We're just talking about which lyrics are better for the purpose they serve.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Meanstreak
    • Oct 29th 2019 edited

Stop playing silly political games with me dude. It's fucking boring. Who said that AC/DC just are sleazy? I am not discrediting anything but in your own mind. If you can't take another point of view properly and think there is only one perspective to everything and that perspective is your own one, get out of here. Given The Dog A Bone has some nasty lyrics and that's what makes them kind of funny. The lyrics come from the Bon tradition, but are more direct and maybe not as clever. But they at least provoke a listener and there is an amount of of sense of humor there. It's also like dirty lyrics from old blues songs, but more explicit. Nobody will have a few beers and laugh at the lyrics to Nervous Shakedown. To me, Caught With Your Pants Down are not funny lyrics in that sense.
    Posted By: MeanstreakStop playing silly political games with me dude. It's fucking boring. Who said that AC/DC just are sleazy? I am not discrediting anything but in your own mind. If you can't take another point of view properly and think there is only one perspective to everything and that perspective is your own one, get out of here.

... LOL what? "Political games"?

You implied they are just sleazy by introducing this random qualifier to move the goalposts.

That you would throw a tantrum accusing me of intolerance because I calmly tore apart your logic is pretty sad.

Posted By: MeanstreakGiven The Dog A Bone has some nasty lyrics and that's what makes them kind of funny. The lyrics come from the Bon tradition, but are more direct and maybe not as clever. But they at least provoke a listener and there is an amount of of sense of humor there. It's also like dirty lyrics from old blues songs, but more explicit. Nobody will have a few beers and laugh at the lyrics to Nervous Shakedown. To me, Caught With Your Pants Down are not funny lyrics in that sense.

And this proves you didn't read a word I wrote. Talk about not being able to take another perspective and thinking yours is everything...

You're completely missing the point for the second time in a row now. The fact that nobody is having a laugh at NS was my entire freaking point. Why don't you go actually read my previous comment because I'm not going to repeat myself for you like a babysitter.
    Your using of words such as random qualifier in order to discredit a perfectly valid argument is exactly what proves my point, that you just resort to silly political games and fail to acknowledge other perspectives than your own ones.

I am throwing a tantrum? You tore apart my logic? Etc... Judging by your totally flawed judgements and observations my guess is that life cannot be that easy for you.

When the true thread of a discussion is lost you get back on track by looking at how it started. This discussion was initiated by your claim that Nervous Shakedown indisputably has better lyrics than Given The Dog A Bone and that no one can seriously think anything else. That is to me a one dimensional view. To me Dog has way more functional lyrics for an AC/DC song and good lyrical elements in the style of Bon are also there, although in a different derivative form.

Note that I wrote.. to me.. If you would understand nuances in arguments you would also quickly come to the conclusion that this entails that I also respect the other point of view.

If you want to be lectured further, please let me know. I will be at your assistance as soon as possible.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: tomscotland
    • Oct 30th 2019 edited

Bons lyrics had just the right amount of sleaze, but with an impish cheekiness that only very charismatic people can get away with, the delivery was never creepy or offensive.
    The Young’s lyrics just sound like kids writing porn. Bad porn, with lettuce in it.
    Brian’s are more bombastic. There were very few mentions of guns, shooting or bombs from Bons pen.
    Posted By: tomscotlandBons lyrics had just the right amount of sleaze, but with an impish cheekiness that only very charismatic people can get away with, the delivery was never creepy or offensive.
    The Young’s lyrics just sound like kids writing porn. Bad porn, with lettuce in it.
    Brian’s are more bombastic. There were very few mentions of guns, shooting or bombs from Bons pen.

Bon is the Rabbie Burns of RnR lyrics
    Bon is the Rabbie Burns of RnR lyrics

Both womanisers for sure but didnt realise Bon was a freemason LOL

Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim’rous beastie,
    O, what a panic’s in thy breastie!
    Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
    Wi’ bickering brattle!
    I wad be laith to rin an’ chase thee,
    Wi’ murdering pattle!
    Posted By: tomscotlandBons lyrics had just the right amount of sleaze, but with an impish cheekiness that only very charismatic people can get away with, the delivery was never creepy or offensive.

Bon also wrote the lyrics for Squealer, Night Prowler, Love At First Feel and She's Got Balls. The Jack live version has some really nasty ad lib lyrics as well, on some versions. I am not sure everything he did was reflective of that type of personal charm and impish cheekiness that you mention here.
    Posted By: MeanstreakYour using of words such as random qualifier in order to discredit a perfectly valid argument is exactly what proves my point, that you just resort to silly political games and fail to acknowledge other perspectives than your own ones.

LOL, my use of... logic to invalidate your argument bothers you? Wow, tough break bud. XD

Do you even know what a qualifier is? It seems not. Let's try again; you are introducing an arbitrary standard which did not exist in my original argument. You are moving the goalposts, in layman's terms. My comment was about lyrical quality, with no qualifications. YOU argued back by adding a new qualification of "sleaze". You were making a strawman fallacy. I don't know how I could make this any clearer for you... most high schoolers could understand this.

There is nothing "political" about this. Apparently you don't know what that word means either, because you seem to be using it in place of the word "semantic". Oy vey...

I am throwing a tantrum? You tore apart my logic? Etc... Judging by your totally flawed judgements and observations my guess is that life cannot be that easy for you.

If you want to be lectured further, please let me know. I will be at your assistance as soon as possible.

Oh look, substance free, grade-school insults. Really proving your maturity and intellect here. Not to mention making a great case for your argument, which you seem to have abandoned entirely in lieu of slinging ad hominems at me...

When the true thread of a discussion is lost you get back on track by looking at how it started. This discussion was initiated by your claim that Nervous Shakedown indisputably has better lyrics than Given The Dog A Bone and that no one can seriously think anything else. That is to me a one dimensional view. To me Dog has way more functional lyrics for an AC/DC song and good lyrical elements in the style of Bon are also there, although in a different derivative form.

Note that I wrote.. to me.. If you would understand nuances in arguments you would also quickly come to the conclusion that this entails that I also respect the other point of view.

I never said it was indisputable, in fact I quite clearly asked if anyone would dispute it. Your attempt to do so was using a strawman fallacy by introducing a random qualifier and I called it out for that bad faith tactic. Now you are throwing a tantrum because of it.

The only time you said "to me" was in reference to Caught w/ Your Pants Down. Here is you original response, verbatim: "Given the gog a bone sure has better lyrics for the purpose of hard and sleazy rock n' roll than Nervous shakedown."

You are backtracking and trying to re-engineer your argument. Just as you moved the goalposts to attempt to re-engineer MY argument. All you are doing is proving your bad faith here...
    Have you seen a doctor? I just wonder for your own best. The paranoia shining through your post is quite staggering.
    Posted By: MeanstreakHave you seen a doctor? I just wonder for your own best. The paranoia shining through your post is quite staggering.

I accept your concession.
    I am asking that question also because continuing this will not be in your best interest. You may want to consider that first.
    Posted By: MeanstreakI am asking that question also because continuing this will not be in your best interest. You may want to consider that first.

Who do you think this bluster is fooling? You got called out. Get over it.