[ Sign In | Register ]

Even if working with different producers and recording equipment over the years is certainly one of the obvious reasons, I always felt since the BB album in particular the guitar tone changed, especially Angus' one. It seems to be less distorted and brilliant, a bit more like a muddy crunch.

As far as I know they pretty much always used the same setup in regards to amps and guitars, often using some of their vintage guitars and gear used on early albums for most of the new records up to ROB, but even on SUL, which was produced by George, the guitars don't sound like on their 70s material at all. Albums such as DDDDC, LTBR and PA in particular had a metallic quality to Angus' guitar that made 'em sound extremely heavy for those times, while the more "recent" albums sounded a bit tame in comparison. The beginning chords of "Down Payment Blues" are a good example of what I'm referring to in terms of sounding heavy and "metallic". In general on those albums when the band was cooking the sound was huge, but I don't think it was necessarily a matter of having more gain on their amps; or maybe it was?

All albums between HTH and FTATR had bigger productions but the guitar sound was still heavy. FOTS was rougher but had impact. FOTW guitars sounded even heavier than all their albums before. Not much a fan of BUYV guitars but they were still pretty good, TRE had big guitars too. Afterwards I think the band consciously tried to regain their 70s feeling since they got Phil back and BB was released, but it seems to me that they never managed to achieve their 70s guitar sound again and I can't understand why.

The band always worked a lot on dynamics while playing but you could tell when they were going from a softer part to full-on guitar mayhem, while on all albums since BB it seems like the sound went constantly flatter. Even on ROB, which sounded a bit more powerful than BI, when they play riffs like the one on BBF it doesn't sound like, let's say, "Riff Raff" at all. I think it's something that goes beyond the quality of songs/riffs.

What's your opinion?
    Vanda and Young captured the perfect tone on Powerage. Mutt, to some extent redefined it on BIB. It’s at this point that it became hit and miss. For example, many people hate the dry tone on Ballbreaker, but listen to the outtakes and you’ll see that it was captured pretty much as it went down with no fuckery whatsoever. SUL was the last record to have that intimate feeling.
    I don’t know what factors are at play, analogue desks maybe.
    The best sound the boys ever had was HTH. BIB is a close second. LTBR is third.
    Best tone is from HV or T'N'T DDDDC , it sounds like there tone comes right from the wood on the fret board also Angus used less trouble . In later years Angus's guitar soloing has change witch has made a difference. But his solo on RNRT sounds awesome

Good post.

What gets me is that the guitar tone found changes even WITHIN Black Ice. Angus' solo in RART has a great tone, but I absolutely hate his tone in Wheels. It's better in the solo, but it sounds so artificial and strange in the verses/chorus.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinGood post.

What gets me is that the guitar tone found changes even WITHIN Black Ice. Angus' solo in RART has a great tone, but I absolutely hate his tone in Wheels. It's better in the solo, but it sounds so artificial and strange in the verses/chorus.

I thought a little reminiscent of LTBR in places.
    Posted By: tomscotlandVanda and Young captured the perfect tone on Powerage. Mutt, to some extent redefined it on BIB. It’s at this point that it became hit and miss. For example, many people hate the dry tone on Ballbreaker, but listen to the outtakes and you’ll see that it was captured pretty much as it went down with no fuckery whatsoever. SUL was the last record to have that intimate feeling.
    I don’t know what factors are at play, analogue desks maybe.

Pretty accurate, still I think the tone was still very powerful on the albums following BIb up to BB. In regards to BB outtakes, it actually came to mind the VH1 live in studio session where they played a lot of vintage material; the beginning of "Down Payment Blues" doesn't sound like on the original album but the overall feeling sounds more powerful and dirty than on BB, especially considering that usually TV-soundboard audio sounds pretty flat in itself. Therefore I think if they captured the live feeling of this show on the BB or SUL album the guitars would have sounded bigger and virtually more in line with their 70s/PA-style material. This leads to think that maybe both Rubin and George Young (and Brendan O' Brien too later on) didn't manage to recapture the real live sound of the band, cause it sounds toned down compared to the VH1 performance or even the shows on those BB and SUL tours.

That's probably a mixing decision; they boosted the main solos and left the other Angus' arrangements with a softer sound so they don't stick out too much from the overall mix. The main solos were probably recorded as a overdub in a separate session while some other lead guitars were done as an additional arrangement to the rhythm guitar, therefore they didn't use the same sound as the main solos.
    Posted By: Venom Injector

That's probably a mixing decision; they boosted the main solos and left the other Angus' arrangements with a softer sound so they don't stick out too much from the overall mix. The main solos were probably recorded as a overdub in a separate session while some other lead guitars were done as an additional arrangement to the rhythm guitar, therefore they didn't use the same sound as the main solos.
    True, so it's just a problem with the lead part outside of the solos. Could it also just be the high neck chords Angus plays in in Wheels that bring out the negatives of the production? There's just something about them that's so incredibly annoying.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: FreoBoy
    • Oct 14th 2019

I know the comment has been done to death and i apologize ,but how good could have FLY sounded.....
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

True, so it's just a problem with the lead part outside of the solos. Could it also just be the high neck chords Angus plays in in Wheels that bring out the negatives of the production? There's just something about them that's so incredibly annoying.

Is that something that you notice just on that song or on other songs off the album?
    Posted By: FreoBoyI know the comment has been done to death and i apologize ,but how good could have FLY sounded.....

I still think the guitars sounded great on FOTW, despite the delays/reverbs. Though on the 1985 tour soundboard recordings you can certainly hear them clearer. The SYF version on the "Flies On The Soundboard" bootleg sounds amazing, almost comes off as a new SDIF for the 80s.

Is that something that you notice just on that song or on other songs off the album?
    I’ve been listening to Wheels a lot lately, so I’ll give BI a full spin tonight to really pay attention to Angus’ tone.

Wheels was recorded with a solid state amp. your ears are not playing tricks
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Oct 17th 2019

Posted By: uaintgottheguts

What about the opening chords of RART? It really sounds awful.
    Some kind of steril and digital, lead tone on the other hand is ok.
    Posted By: 7seven

I think it was the Backtracks amp.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Oct 20th 2019

Posted By: tomscotland
    Posted By: 7seven

I think it was the Backtracks amp.

Haha, yes that would explain it. Whatever, guitar tone on RoB is way better than on BI for my personal taste
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Oct 20th 2019

The story is that certain guitar parts on Black Ice were recorded using Amplitube, which is audio software that emulates classic amp tones. I guess that if Malcolm OK'd it, it must have sounded pretty good to his ears.

I would wager that the basic AC/DC tone hasn't really changed a whole lot over the years. Beyond JCM, JMP or JTM, plus dalliances with Mesa Boogie and Wizard, Angus always said that they play with a tone that is surprisingly clean to anyone who tries to play through their gear. I don't think people really factor in how much of a bearing mics can have on how a recording sounds. They're the filter that colours everything, and should be the first thing to discuss in relation to a recorded guitar tone. And beyond that, there's the room, and even how the player was feeling on the day, how hard they pick etc.
    Posted By: BrianyThe story is that certain guitar parts on Black Ice were recorded using Amplitube, which is audio software that emulates classic amp tones. I guess that if Malcolm OK'd it, it must have sounded pretty good to his ears.
    This is definitely a rookie question, but why not just use the same techniques they did 30 years ago? Everyone's trying to go back to that "classic sound", so is it that hard to just get some older amps (or even newer ones with the same technology), or is it all about the audio mixers not being the same?
    •  
    • Oct 20th 2019 edited

Posted By: BrianyThe story is that certain guitar parts on Black Ice were recorded using Amplitube, which is audio software that emulates classic amp tones. I guess that if Malcolm OK'd it, it must have sounded pretty good to his ears.
    This is definitely a rookie question, but why not just use the same techniques they did 30 years ago? Everyone's trying to go back to that "classic sound", so is it that hard to just get some older amps (or even newer ones with the same technology), or is it all about the audio mixers not being the same?

I remember Angus once saying he wished he could have taken the walls in Albert Studios with him. I suppose what he was saying is that the room you're playing in has a major influence on the sound. To extrapolate on that, I think there is a huge situational component to the recorded sound - the place, the time, the age of the performers. All that kind of stuff. If sounding like Led Zeppelin IV were as simple as having the right gear, well, they'd still be making all that gear.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Oct 20th 2019 edited

Angus had a powerful but natural gain on HTH, Mal had a clean sound but with tons of attack and sustain. On BIB you can hear on some tracks that indeed even Ang isn't very distorted. FTATR, Angus had quite a bit of power there, you can hear some of the chords sustaining, while Mal still had a natural Mal sound, quite clean but still powerful. FOTS they both sounded meaty, same with FOTW, where Angus had some great overdriven tones.

On TRE, Ang's veered away from his classic sound, and on BB they both sounded like classic AC/DC except really clean. It seemed a very specific choice, perhaps to sound more like a vintage rock n roll band and less a hard rock band, maybe they felt it would sit better with Brian. Worked great on Burning Alive with all the strumming and chiming, maybe less so on the single note riffs like Pants Down, though it's kind of cool hearing that purity in tone.

SUL was also pretty clean in parts but not as much as on BB. You can hear on the intro to SINYC, even when it all gets going, it's all pretty clean, but it kind of works, it's such a natural sound.

Black Ice was where it gets a bit weird. It's not like those are bad sounds, but weirdly 'not quite right', a bit abrasive somehow, and not quite natural. Using amp sims explains to some degree, but not sure how many songs they used those on?

ROB has pretty good guitar sounds, maybe a bit too much reverb on them at times, but definitely better than BI. More like the old days when even an album like BUYV had a really nice, natural AC/DC set of guitar sounds, albeit lost somewhat in the mix.
    Posted By: Briany

I remember Angus once saying he wished he could have taken the walls in Albert Studios with him. I suppose what he was saying is that the room you're playing in has a major influence on the sound. To extrapolate on that, I think there is a huge situational component to the recorded sound - the place, the time, the age of the performers. All that kind of stuff. If sounding like Led Zeppelin IV were as simple as having the right gear, well, they'd still be making all that gear.
    Never thought of it that way, though you have to admit that modern production is different in the digital age. The actual producer is a key factor, too. Take Mutt for example - he wasn’t trying to get ACDC back to a previous sound (such as Rubin or BoB), but was instead just doing his own thing without having to base it on something else.

True, but I think they could afford to use completely analog studio equipment and pretty much rebuild the whole Albert Studios if they wanted to. I'm actually surprised a band of their stature never built their own studio. Considering they still own all their vintage guitars and amps too I guess, virtually it's not impossible to have the same sound of their 70s albums if they use a studio with equally vintage equipment.
    Posted By: 900on BB they both sounded like classic AC/DC except really clean. It seemed a very specific choice, perhaps to sound more like a vintage rock n roll band and less a hard rock band, maybe they felt it would sit better with Brian. Worked great on Burning Alive with all the strumming and chiming, maybe less so on the single note riffs like Pants Down, though it's kind of cool hearing that purity in tone.

SUL was also pretty clean in parts but not as much as on BB. You can hear on the intro to SINYC, even when it all gets going, it's all pretty clean, but it kind of works, it's such a natural sound.

I really like both BB and SUL but the cleaniness in the guitar tone always bothered me a bit. They still sound pretty powerful on full chords but on single note riffs or when they play on some verses guitars sound sort of unplugged. I always found it funny that they sound softer than in the 70s, especially considering in the mid 80s to early 90s the guitars were pretty overdriven for their standards (FOTW is a prime example, but also on the "Live" album distortion and sustain were way more evident than on their latter era). Still, it seems like their live tone was heavier even in the BB/SUL era compared to the studio albums.
    I don’t really understand the lack of love for the Ballbreaker sound. I think it’s a very intimate record, I love the closeness of it.
    SUL has a similar vibe.
    Posted By: tomscotlandI don’t really understand the lack of love for the Ballbreaker sound. I think it’s a very intimate record, I love the closeness of it.
    SUL has a similar vibe.

I like the overall production of both, especially the rhyhtm section, but I just think with a dirtier, slightly more overdriven guitar tone similar to their 70s the albums would have been more energetic and powerful, especially considering they were supposed to be some sort of "back to the roots" thing.
    • Oct 21st 2019

Posted By: tomscotlandI don’t really understand the lack of love for the Ballbreaker sound. I think it’s a very intimate record, I love the closeness of it.
    SUL has a similar vibe.

I agree.. Angus or Mal said they wanted exactly that for BB, to hear the strings and fretboard in a pure way (or something) and they did that. I know some people find the drums and things flat, but I honestly think the main tweak which would have given the sound a tad more energy is for the vocals to be less dry.

SUL definitely seems a bit less clean, and a little more powerful, to my ears. Still continuing the same these as BB's sound in some ways, but not quite so extreme-clean.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinTake Mutt for example - he wasn’t trying to get ACDC back to a previous sound (such as Rubin or BoB)

If AC/DC ever sounded like elevator mom-friendly music then yes, BoB did a pretty good job.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Oct 21st 2019

Posted By: tomscotlandI don’t really understand the lack of love for the Ballbreaker sound.

It's dry, there's too much space, and the songs aren't very good.
    Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: tomscotlandI don’t really understand the lack of love for the Ballbreaker sound.

The only problem I have with the BB production is the vocals, which are by far the weakest on any record. The clean loud clang of the guitars is great.

Posted By: BallToucher
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinTake Mutt for example - he wasn’t trying to get ACDC back to a previous sound (such as Rubin or BoB)

If AC/DC ever sounded like elevator mom-friendly music then yes, BoB did a pretty good job.
    I never said that BoB succeeded in returning to the old sound, but I definitely think that he was trying to return them to huge commercial success by making their sound more accessible in the same way that Mutt did.
    • Oct 21st 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinI never said that BoB succeeded in returning to the old sound, but I definitely think that he was trying to return them to huge commercial success by making their sound more accessible in the same way that Mutt did.

He overcomplicated things though. Mutt's style was still true to the band in terms of being quite uncluttered, it's not like he tried to make them do tons of layers or anything. Just getting the sounds right at source then ensuring the mixing delivered exactly what he had in mind.

Some of BoB's production ideas, I don't get it. Was he trying to make a name for himself, re-inventing AC/DC? A bit annoying. But he did make a good-sounding record with BI and a great-sounding one with RoB.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Oct 21st 2019

Poor Brendan. Mutt had much better songs to work with.
    • AC/DC rock music: shatti
    • Oct 21st 2019

i'll i can say is up to highway to hell the tone is trebley and thinner
    back in black and for those about to rock are less trebley and creamear
    sorry for bad expression
    but listen to hells bells solo or C.O.D solo, it's very thick & huge
    i think it's a mastering thing, not an amp or tone changing
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinI never said that BoB succeeded in returning to the old sound, but I definitely think that he was trying to return them to huge commercial success by making their sound more accessible in the same way that Mutt did.

He overcomplicated things though. Mutt's style was still true to the band in terms of being quite uncluttered, it's not like he tried to make them do tons of layers or anything. Just getting the sounds right at source then ensuring the mixing delivered exactly what he had in mind.

Some of BoB's production ideas, I don't get it. Was he trying to make a name for himself, re-inventing AC/DC? A bit annoying. But he did make a good-sounding record with BI and a great-sounding one with RoB.
    Very true. Things are somewhat overpowering each other strangely on some BI tracks, though I prefer that to whatever the hell was happening on tracks like Miss Adventure. ROB does have a nice little studio feel to it, but it can definitely be too much at times.

Posted By: InfernoPoor Brendan. Mutt had much better songs to work with.
    And musicians in their prime. BoB still did good, especially in the Brian department.
    • Oct 21st 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinwhatever the hell was happening on tracks like Miss Adventure.

One of life's great mysteries! I don't mind those silly 'na na naa na' vocals, but to layer them up like that....just, why??

And the high-pitch comedy falsetto backing vocals on Sweet Candy....it literally sounds like a joke thing they forgot to remove!
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinwhatever the hell was happening on tracks like Miss Adventure.

One of life's great mysteries! I don't mind those silly 'na na naa na' vocals, but to layer them up like that....just, why??

And the high-pitch comedy falsetto backing vocals on Sweet Candy....it literally sounds like a joke thing they forgot to remove!
    "Clap and knEEEEEEEEEEEEEl"

Lots of out of place background vocals on ROB. "Soldier of... Soldier of... Soldier of"
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: tomscotland
    • Oct 21st 2019 edited

Aye, in your opinion, as legit as it may well be. For me it’s a strange combination of a tight band playing songs loosely that seals it.
    There was definitely more gain from LTBR to TRE. I would say BB and SUL have a tone more like HV and Dirty Deeds. The opening chords to Down Payment are quite distorted but also have some kind of other effect on them and I can't put my finger on it. Almost like a light phase or something...

Pretty accurate, still I think the tone was still very powerful on the albums following BIb up to BB. In regards to BB outtakes, it actually came to mind the VH1 live in studio session where they played a lot of vintage material; the beginning of "Down Payment Blues" doesn't sound like on the original album but the overall feeling sounds more powerful and dirty than on BB, especially considering that usually TV-soundboard audio sounds pretty flat in itself. Therefore I think if they captured the live feeling of this show on the BB or SUL album the guitars would have sounded bigger and virtually more in line with their 70s/PA-style material. This leads to think that maybe both Rubin and George Young (and Brendan O' Brien too later on) didn't manage to recapture the real live sound of the band, cause it sounds toned down compared to the VH1 performance or even the shows on those BB and SUL tours.

No, they have a different setup for live touring than on the albums in many cases. And even with the same setup, they have to dial it in for different venues and frankly, there's always been a lot of variation in their tone even within a single tour. Compare VH1 to No Bull and then compare that to the Down Payment bonus track from a Florida show on No Bull. All totally different tones.

Aye, in your opinion, as legit as it may well be. For me it’s a strange combination of a tight band playing songs loosely that seals it.

BB fucking rules. Vintage tones galore and what a triumphant return for Phil, he sounds immaculate, in production and playing.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Oct 23rd 2019

Personality I love BB especially after a few bevvies. But I can see why people can't deal with the dryness.
    •  
    • Oct 23rd 2019

AC/DC have always had odd backing vocals here and there. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap has a strange backing vocal, as does Love at First Feel where it sounds like the Four Tops.
    • Oct 23rd 2019

AC/DC have always had odd backing vocals here and there.

Not as strange as those two on RoB! They stick out like a sore thumb, just weird.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Oct 23rd 2019

Not as strange as those two on RoB! They stick out like a sore thumb, just weird.
    I'll bet they aren't even Stevie's and Cliff's in a few songs. Multiple B'oB layers if you'd ask me. Plus the occasional Angus (DoW).
    •  
    • Oct 23rd 2019

AC/DC have always had odd backing vocals here and there. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap has a strange backing vocal, as does Love at First Feel where it sounds like the Four Tops.
    LAFF is Mal and Phil i believe.
    Malcolm was a pioneer in nasty sounding backing vocals.
    Posted By: Thankass

I'll bet they aren't even Stevie's and Cliff's in a few songs. Multiple B'oB layers if you'd ask me. Plus the occasional Angus (DoW).

Brendan O'Brien definitely did most of the backing vocals for RoB

The gang vocals in songs such as DDDDC and even CAGI are a great aspect of ACDC, but they were done horribly in Miss Adventure.
    •  
    • Oct 23rd 2019

The gang vocals in songs such as DDDDC and even CAGI are a great aspect of ACDC, but they were done horribly in Miss Adventure.
    Goat BV's like in CAGI suck donkey balls. FOTW had the best gang BV's
    Posted By: ThankassGoat BV's like in CAGI suck donkey balls. FOTW had the best gang BV's

BAAACK IIIN BUSINESS AGAIN!!!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Oct 24th 2019

Posted By: Thankass

Goat BV's like in CAGI suck donkey balls. FOTW had the best gang BV's

I'm planning on consumption of apple based booze-drink and loud blasting of FOTW this very evening. It's a great one to join in on the gang BV's for sure!
    Rawk O’ Bus!

Seriously, the live version of Jailbreak on Backtracks has the ultimate BV.