To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

• AC/DC rock music: shatti
    • Oct 7th 2019

this my personal opinion on the album and i want to here yours

i think what holded this album to be one of the AC/DC great albums are these few points:

-i think when Angus said he wanted the album to be like the 50s songs, (short songs), it was a bad decision
    basically he banned any lengthy guitar work like in, for those about to rock, let there be rock, hells bells, shoot to thrill (so only short solos and outro's).
    -the album has slow beat, baptism by fire was a great "rock n roll", while the others still a great songs, i feel more fast based songs were needed for an epic album.
    -the playing is very tight, and it's very dry & 5 note based. (Malcolm absent was missing in here)--- Stevie is great for sure but u know, Malcolm would throw his ideas even for the drums ( he would look to the whole song and to every instrument )

so at the end, it's a (good) acdc album, but not one of the best due to lack of content (my humble opinions guys)
    sorry if it is harsh, but we are a family, we can share secrets in here !, right ?
    Good review, man.

My only real problem with it is the lack of inspiration. It’s a good album through and through with not a weak track on it IMO, but not any very strong tracks, either. It’s one I go to very rarely, if ever, because it can feel unfortunately generic at times. I totally agree that lack of longer songs/solos hurt the record immensely, but even then there’s just something missing. FOTS was short and sweet, but there was so much energy and badassery that it made up for it (also Flick just has better songs).

Is it better than the occasional plod of SUL? I’m not sure...
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Oct 8th 2019

I really like it . It's much better than what I was expecting . The songs are too short but still has a great feel to the album . Some great vocal melodies which deserve better lyrics . All in all I prefer it to BI
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinGood review, man.

My only real problem with it is the lack of inspiration. It’s a good album through and through with not a weak track on it IMO, but not any very strong tracks, either. It’s one I go to very rarely, if ever, because it can feel unfortunately generic at times. I totally agree that lack of longer songs/solos hurt the record immensely, but even then there’s just something missing. FOTS was short and sweet, but there was so much energy and badassery that it made up for it (also Flick just has better songs).

FOTS is, imo, their last great and consistent album
    I really liked ROB, in my book it's a solid 7/7+ out of 10. I think for a number of reasons (aging, Mal's not on the album, etc.) it's a bit unfair to compare it to the older stuff in the band's discography. Still I prefer it to BI (which had at least 5 fillers and sounded a bit more tame and slightly commercial); it's short and sweet, energetic, vocals and solos are very good and it's a good mix of several AC/DC's eras. Not much filler (I mainly don't think much of RTBA and HT but they're not necessarily bad), some unexpected gems (RTH is a blast, MA a very well-thought song, ROB and PB solid AC/DC singles, EC one of the most intriguing slower songs since the BB album) and a bunch of very nice tunes (DOW, GSR&RT, BBF, SC). Lyrics as in the Y&Y tradition are not great but a bit more coherent than on BI, production is punchier than BI (even if they overdid it a bit with the backing-vocals on songs like MA and GSR&RT), Stevie doesn't really sound much different than Mal. I wouldn't put it near their classic albums, but I prefer it to others in their discography and I listen to it pretty often since it came out. On a side note, the vinyl edition sounds awesome.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • 7 days ago

Love it. It has a great feel to it. I think it sits about 4th in my most regularly listened Brian era album run down overall.
    Posted By: JemLove it. It has a great feel to it. I think it sits about 4th in my most regularly listened Brian era album run down overall.

What are the other 3? :-)
    • AC/DC rock music: Strat54
    • 7 days ago

∆∆ no need for me to write anything, I would only be repeating what Venom Injector wrote. Except I love Hard Times, I think it's a real groover, and Miss Adventure is my least by far favourite. If the songs were longer and more thought went into the arrangements it would have been right up there with Back and Flick for me.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • 7 days ago

Really good album that still gets listened to often. Considering how long the boys have been around this was for me an 8/10.
    Posted By: ianbigmac
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinGood review, man.

FOTS is, imo, their last great and consistent album
    Fly’s the last great for me, though Flick is still a bit better. Flick does lack the variety of pretty much every single album prior, but the songwriting is still great and the general feeling is fantastic.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • 7 days ago edited

I still really enjoy it. BI is more 'solid' with more overall quality and 'complete' songs, but also suffers from bloating and a slightly synthetic sound. I just think with ROB it's a pity about the lyrics and that the producer didn't correct more of the very obvious faults and criticisms. Good production for the sound of the thing, but quite shabby in other areas.

All in all, a great album considering I thought they'd finished after BI. Far more fun and lively than I'd have expected even if i'd known it were coming. I sensed Angus was unleashed to follow his direction a little more, for better or worse. Lost of low note, single-note riffs and more than a couple of Led Zep influences.
    Fascinating how the last song they ever did (so far at least) is about keeping proper form when flatulence is concerned. Emission Control indeed.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • 7 days ago

Posted By: Badlands66Fascinating how the last song they ever did (so far at least) is about keeping proper form when flatulence is concerned. Emission Control indeed.

You are joking?
    Posted By: Badlands66Fascinating how the last song they ever did (so far at least) is about keeping proper form when flatulence is concerned. Emission Control indeed.

Well, if that is what you really think it is about you probably have been shielded from the real world for a very long time.
    Posted By: Meanstreak

Well, if that is what you really think it is about you probably have been shielded from the real world for a very long time.

Not the brightest bulb when jokes are concerned are you Meanie?
    Posted By: Grim177

You are joking?

Indeed, the lyrics are so dim though that it very well could be.
    Posted By: Badlands66
    Posted By: Meanstreak

Not the brightest bulb when jokes are concerned are you Meanie?

Oh the irony haha
    Posted By: ianbigmacFOTS is, imo, their last great and consistent album

THIS x a fuckin' trillion!!!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • 7 days ago

Posted By: Badlands66
    Posted By: Grim177

You are joking?

Indeed, the lyrics are so dim though that it very well could be.

If you say so.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • 7 days ago

Posted By: Venom Injector
    Posted By: JemLove it. It has a great feel to it. I think it sits about 4th in my most regularly listened Brian era album run down overall.

What are the other 3? :-)

FOTS, SUL, and BIB.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • 7 days ago

BIB, FTATR, FOTS, even FOTW for whatever it is, is the last genuine DC. Everything else is just a curiosity with a few moments. We all know this. Can't admit it to ourselves. Because reasons.
    I rarely listen to the album anymore. It's near the end of my rotation. So many better albums.
    Posted By: marcinhaBIB, FTATR, FOTS, even FOTW for whatever it is, is the last genuine DC. Everything else is just a curiosity with a few moments. We all know this. Can't admit it to ourselves. Because reasons.

They're certainly the albums where they meant business. Afterwards they still managed to put out some brilliant things, but with less consistency I think and some highs and lows. "Ballbreaker" is probably my favourite of the post-FOTW albums, though I listen to them all pretty often. TRE is probably the one I listened less, it's too arena-sounding for my taste.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • 7 days ago

Posted By: marcinhaBIB, FTATR, FOTS, even FOTW for whatever it is, is the last genuine DC. Everything else is just a curiosity with a few moments.

I enjoy all their albums since, but indeed there's a weird, slightly unsettling truth to the above line.
    Don’t get me started. Without Mal I can barely listen to it.
    Posted By: tomscotlandDon’t get me started. Without Mal I can barely listen to it.

I'm pretty confident if they told us it was the last Mal' studio-recording and didn't feature Stevie in the booklet, nobody would have noticed the difference.
    Posted By: Venom Injector
    Posted By: tomscotlandDon’t get me started. Without Mal I can barely listen to it.

I'm pretty confident if they told us it was the last Mal' studio-recording and didn't feature Stevie in the booklet, nobody would have noticed the difference.

Probably correct, because unfortunately, at that point Mal wasn't playing with the fire he was always known for, due to his condition.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • 5 days ago

Naturally ^