To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

For me its happened a fair few times but one gig stands out a mile.
    It was a rainy Wednesday night, I was knackered and our well-meaning Danish friends insisted we join them at Hammersmith Odeon to see Sigur Ros a band i knew little about. I could not have been dreading it more but my wife said she'd divorce me if I bailed. Well, stone me, they were absolutely fucking INCREDIBLE - just a massive, immersive, senses-conquering experience and utterly, utterly unique - never been to a gig like it before or since. I expected beauty and grace, I didn't expect POWER and SCALE. Every song you'd think "it can't get anymore epic than this"and then they'd immediately go and out-epic it, visiting the musical equivalent of a lightening storm in the Arctic tundra on an unsuspecting Hammersmith. The last four minutes of this song in particular blew the roof off and just left me open-mouthed with simple awe:

Whores. Maybe more than 500%.

Bought a ticket to see Red Fang several years back, Whores played 2nd on a triple bill. They hit the stage, and essentially made ‘Fang and the other band titty-fuck each other. It wasn’t even a contest.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Angus3155
    • Oct 3rd 2019

Gonna seem funny to mention this, but HA-ASH for me. Last year I went to see these girls and it was a top performance from a musical/sound point of view.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: ryan2422
    • Oct 3rd 2019 edited

Rival Sons. First time I saw them was in a sweaty club in Dallas, sold out with 500 people, and it was almost like a religious experience. Some of the most powerful music I’ve ever seen, blasting 1 foot from my face! Jay Buchanan is the most captivating front man I’ve ever seen, Scott Holiday’s riffs just blow you back, and the Drummer Mike Miley is an absolute animal, probably the closest I’ll ever get to seeing Bonham.
    (In the video I’m the guy in the red hat)
    Slayer. I wasn’t always that crazy on them (I never hated them I enjoyed their songs when I would listen to them) but seeing them for the first time last year at Mohegan Sun Arena has given me a newfound respect for them. This was the first and so far only show where I was in the mosh pit and it was fuckin crazy, definitely a show I won’t forget anytime soon. Slayer is now one of my favorite bands, I understand that they’re music isn’t for everyone and that you might have to be in the right mood for them but they absolutely blew me away live. I’m hoping they pull a “kiss” and this isn’t really their last tour. How could they do a fairwell tour without Dave Lombardo? I’m seeing them again at Madison Square Garden next month and if this is really the last time I will see them live I’m just grateful that I got to see them.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Oct 4th 2019

Most recently Tool at Download, and now I'm obsessed with them.
    You mean as well as ACDC ha.

For me, Motorhead - first gig down the front and Lemmy just was rock n roll personified.

Primal Scream also put on a hell of a gig.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Oct 4th 2019

Goldfrapp at Brixton Academy 2008. My bird at the time wanted to go so I went along, I liked them / her (Alison Goldfrapp) but wasn't expecting too much. Wow, amazing. The stage sets, the theatre, the costumes.. Her vocals live were like on record, and the atmosphere was somehow magical and mystical, especially in such a fantastic venue.

Adding to the fun was where we were positioned, standing up towards the back with a bar behind us (wasn't too expensive, that's unheard of for a London gig in a proper venue) and a mix console in front of us where I think they were controlling all the lights, which was cool to watch.

Got mashed, had a brilliant evening. Amazing performer with a band backing her up with precision.
    Posted By: 900Goldfrapp at Brixton Academy 2008. My bird at the time wanted to go so I went along, I liked them / her (Alison Goldfrapp) but wasn't expecting too much. Wow, amazing. The stage sets, the theatre, the costumes.. Her vocals live were like on record, and the atmosphere was somehow magical and mystical, especially in such a fantastic venue.

Adding to the fun was where we were positioned, standing up towards the back with a bar behind us (wasn't too expensive, that's unheard of for a London gig in a proper venue) and a mix console in front of us where I think they were controlling all the lights, which was cool to watch.

Got mashed, had a brilliant evening. Amazing performer with a band backing her up with precision.

I was at that gig! I remember it was a Sunday night and I decided to go sober which was probably a mistake. :) she was great though.
    • Oct 4th 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonI was at that gig! I remember it was a Sunday night and I decided to go sober which was probably a mistake. :) she was great though.

ha ha wow that's so cool, I had a feeling you might be into her as well! Do you live in town?
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2019

Been thinking about this, and over the years there have been many, but a lot of them I kinda expected to be blown away. The real surprises that took my breath away:

Slipknot @ Download 2009 - Literally made my jaw drop! Still wouldn't buy an album, but just stunning that day!

Muse @ Wembley Arena - Black Holes tour - I was already into them, but nothing prepared me for just how good they were live. Went back the next night and paid £80 for a tout ticket.

Tool @ Download 2019 - Hadn't listened to the band since early '90s (no idea why), and just went open minded. Again, stunning. in fact, as far as listening to music goes, life changing!

Lawnmower Deth - Download ? year - Was expecting growly deth metal nonsense, and got 30 minutes of absolute hilarity! I love these guys so much now, just down to earth good blokes living their dream! Best fun night out at a gig you can have!
    Neil Young and Booker T. and the MGs at Roskilde Festival, 1993. Southern Man was incredible.

https://www.setlist....
    Posted By: 900
    Posted By: Alex LebanonI was at that gig! I remember it was a Sunday night and I decided to go sober which was probably a mistake. :) she was great though.

ha ha wow that's so cool, I had a feeling you might be into her as well! Do you live in town?

Sadly I am a country bumpkin these days, but I used to live up near you in Kilburn!
    Posted By: MeanstreakNeil Young and Booker T. and the MGs at Roskilde Festival, 1993. Southern Man was incredible.

1993 - was that the era he played and toured a lot with Pearl Jam? I remember NY was definitely anointed by the grunge big hitters as a sort of spiritual godfather.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Oct 4th 2019 edited

Rammstein...like no other band in the world live...saw them twice and was blown away. Booked my tickets for them next year also

• AC/DC rock music: acdc1988
    • Oct 4th 2019

My first Bob Dylan concert back in 1995 (in Fürth, Germany). I knew some of his music and i liked it, but i wasn't a die hard
    fan, and i didn't understand the excitement of all those Dylanologists about his concerts, especially after i had watched his 30 th anniversary concert celebration on TV, with him singing in that Helium voice. But i thought, that he is someome you should have seen at least. So i went to that concert and it was absolutely mind blowing. I was literally converted that evening, and he was even dressed like a priest...
    • Oct 4th 2019

Posted By: Alex LebanonSadly I am a country bumpkin these days, but I used to live up near you in Kilburn!

Ahh- did we discuss already? My memory is fucking terrible.
    • AC/DC rock music: Damo
    • Oct 4th 2019

Tom Jones, went for a laugh and he was incredible.
    • Oct 4th 2019

The Bangles - somewhere in London (Hammersmith Odeon, I think) in the 90s.

People hear their songs with a fun pop vibe and don't realise how talented the were. They wrote stacks of great songs, but even so, I was immensely surprised and impressed by them live.

Their vocal harmonies were incredibly tight, and the musicianship also. Susanna Hoffs plays less of a central role than one might think, but sings a few lead vocal songs while banging away on her Rickenbacker (what a cool, iconic image that is) - all the band seemed equal.

The whole thing just sounded very professional and slick, they played great, the crowd loved it.
    •  
    • Oct 4th 2019

I will add AC/DC to this. That first time was the most incredible experience, and in exactly 40 years of gigging, hasn't been surpassed. Strange also that so many memorable moments, and yet a vast percentage of the gigs I've been to, I can hardly remember a single thing (not all alcohol related!).
    Went to see Thunder in Newcastle 1991'ish. Wasn't expecting much but they completely blew me away! Brilliant live band, why they never made it huge I'll never know.
    Conversely, the Band I was expecting a lot from and really disappointed me was Metallica on the Black album tour - very poor.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Oct 4th 2019

Portishead at Brixton on the Dummy tour. I had bought a seat, for the only time in my life, because it was Portishead. It was a remarkable experience and far more physically involving than I thought. A very immersive experience and probably the most surprising gig I have been to.
    • Oct 4th 2019

Posted By: JemPortishead at Brixton on the Dummy tour. I had bought a seat, for the only time in my life, because it was Portishead. It was a remarkable experience and far more physically involving than I thought. A very immersive experience and probably the most surprising gig I have been to.

That somehow might have been a similar experience to Goldfrapp? I got into the latter due to her more trip-hoppy songs (though I like other styles as well).

That Portishead record with all their classic songs was really cool, quite unsettling. Wandering Star and all that. Wow, the memories...
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon
    Posted By: MeanstreakNeil Young and Booker T. and the MGs at Roskilde Festival, 1993. Southern Man was incredible.

1993 - was that the era he played and toured a lot with Pearl Jam? I remember NY was definitely anointed by the grunge big hitters as a sort of spiritual godfather.

I think that was later.
    Nice to see a couple of fellow DC heads enjoying Goldfrapp, not something I thought I’d ever see on here. I’ve seen them several times and they always put on a great live show. Alison is super sweet too.

I had the pleasure of seeing King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard this week at Nottingham rock city and after not having any expections whatsoever I was totally blown away by their shear power and musicianship. The place was like one giant mosh pit with no one staring through their phones. Just living and enjoying the moment like it was before luminous rectangles seemed to take over everyone’s lives at gigs.
    Maybe not 500%, but i saw Jackson Browne at the Liverpool Philharmonic (place with amazing acoustics) and it was musical eargasm. His music is so pleasant; steel guitar, backing vocals, piano, guitars, bass, drums you name it, just incredibly pleasing.
    • Oct 4th 2019

Posted By: WhereeezangooseNice to see a couple of fellow DC heads enjoying Goldfrapp, not something I thought I’d ever see on here. I’ve seen them several times and they always put on a great live show. Alison is super sweet too.

My favourite era was her crazy ringlets of blonde hair! Classy lady, very talented.
    • AC/DC rock music: CWT1965
    • Oct 4th 2019

The Struts

Seen them a few times now great live band with a frontman who has the showmanship of Bon/Freddie and a bloody good voice too
    The Hives

Watched them open for AC/DC in Sydney in 2015. I'd only heard a few songs of theirs on the radio beforehand but they were so tight live. Very interactive with the crowd too - Howlin' Pelle Almqvist had an awesome stage presence.
    Rush in 2002 knew a lot of songs but was never a fan but it blew me away , saw them 9 more times after that
    Then getting talked into seeing phish in 2003 and was absolutely stunned
    This fall and winter will be my 23rd,24th and 25th time seeing them
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Oct 4th 2019

Posted By: sfadden30Rush in 2002 knew a lot of songs but was never a fan but it blew me away , saw them 9 more times after that
    Then getting talked into seeing phish in 2003 and was absolutely stunned
    This fall and winter will be my 23rd,24th and 25th time seeing them

Warrant was way better than Poison when that tour came through. I thought Warrant was really good live vs. their album material which was okay.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Oct 5th 2019

Posted By: CWT1965The Struts

Seen them a few times now great live band with a frontman who has the showmanship of Bon/Freddie and a bloody good voice too

Was going to see them on the second album tour after enjoying their debut but I didn't bother after the shift towards pop production.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Oct 5th 2019

Portishead (apart from DC).