To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

• AC/DC rock music: ryank97
    • Sep 29th 2019

Maybe an unpopular opinion here lads, but I believe Brian has been the best thing to happen to AC/DC. Bon was legendary but Brian somehow was able to build on the early days of AC/DC . Would Bon have stuck with the Youngs through the 80s and 90s? Somehow I doubt it. Whatever you think of Brian he fits perfectly with the AC/DC image . Some of his vocal performances are incredible. He gave it everything every night. Without Brian I feel AC/DC would have faded into obscurity. I'm still confident we will see him fronting the band next year. Anyone else wouldn't stand a chance but this is Brian Fucking Johnson were talking about. I just feel sometimes he goes unappreciated.
    I've been watching many "cars that rock" clips on youtube lately. I don't give a singular fuck about car collecting, but then there's Brian - the most jolly, friendly, and humorous man in existence that can both kick your ass with his vocals and his fist.

I can't stress enough how much of a gift he was to ACDC - he fit perfectly with their "working men" attitude (and their rock and roll attitude), but also brought with him a new level of power and badass-ery. Then there's the actual vocals....

Aside from all that, he's the most open and approachable ACDC member by far and has a personality like no other.

Yes, he and his voice have been slight victims of age, but nothing aside from death will stop the man from being who he is.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ruddie
    • Sep 29th 2019

Excellent thread.

If Complete Vocal Technique would've existed in the 80's, his whole career would be a completely different story.

I love what he's done for the band and in so many different ways. BIB could be the best vocal performance in Rock'n Roll history. His incredible stage presence and charisma. The way he grew as a frontman and entertainer in the later years of his career. And needless to mention, his wonderful personality in interviews.

While studying in Newcastle, I got to know some lads that played with him on a few occasions. He would just go for a pint at the pub and then just have a go at the mic with the band.

Good ol' fkn Brian Jonna Johnson. The most colorful personality of our beloved AC/DC.
    • Sep 29th 2019

Oh, and while touring myself a while back, I got to meet a lot of musicians as well as people that worked behind the scenes and such. They all shared the same view:

"Brian Johnson? Best frontman in the world."
    I hear you. I got into the band during the TRE era. I am a Brian-a-lite. Its the era for me. But that is nothing Away from Bon or his era, without it we would not have jack-shit and I of course love the material from the Bon years too.
    ryank97 - well said.

We all know Bon is a legend. But for some, Brian will never be accepted. Which is a real shame, as he had to stand in huge shoes and to do
    what he has done, with such dignity and class, is testament to the man.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Sep 30th 2019

according to the (ex) top gear boys, BJ is now sadly departed....

^RIP, he didn't hear them coming...
    I'm from the Bon party but Brian certainly did an amazing job, also considering the amount of expectations and stress he probably had to endure in its early tenure with the band. He shaped his on-stage persona well over the years and by mid-80s he definitely became an iconic frontman. His particular vocal style is unique and even if its power didn't last too long he managed to adapt it to the aging and made the best out of it. He also seems a very likeable character and down to earth.
    I prefer Bon for many reasons besides his vocals (better lyricist, more charismatic), but it's safe to say that he might have left the band in the 80s; from several sources it has been said that he was exhausted by the grinding touring schedules and that he was thinking about doing a solo album with musicians from the US southern-rock scene (there were talks with Leon Wilkeson from Lynyrd Skynyrd if I remember well). The Youngs were also concerned with his increasing drinking habits so who knows if that line-up would have lasted after all. Also, he always looked older than his age so it's hard to say how he would have looked and sounded over the 80s/90s if he was still alive.
    Nah.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Sep 30th 2019

Posted By: RuddieExcellent thread.

If Complete Vocal Technique would've existed in the 80's, his whole career would be a completely different story.

He wouldn't have had a career if he'd read this. In Rock singing, the roughness comes from the upper-respiratory tract. This is not a way most vocal coaches would ever actually teach a student to sing, though, as it causes a lot of wear and tear. However, it also gives a lot of interesting tonal variations that aren't really achievable for a classically-trained singer. Brian singing in a schooled manner would never have sounded right for AC/DC.
    Brian has one of the most recognizable voices in rock. I can play pretty much any song with him to anyone and they would know it’s AC/DC. Well most of the time at least, at least every time I’ve tried. His personality is perfect for the band and overall hes just one of the nicest guys you could ever talk to
    • Sep 30th 2019

Posted By: Briany
    Posted By: RuddieExcellent thread.

He wouldn't have had a career if he'd read this. In Rock singing, the roughness comes from the upper-respiratory tract. This is not a way most vocal coaches would ever actually teach a student to sing, though, as it causes a lot of wear and tear. However, it also gives a lot of interesting tonal variations that aren't really achievable for a classically-trained singer. Brian singing in a schooled manner would never have sounded right for AC/DC.

Once you've developed your own style, you can add the necessary points from this technique without losing your voice nor your style.
    Brian Johnson, simply the best
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Oct 3rd 2019

Posted By: Geordie_boot_boy^RIP, he didn't hear them coming...

Hahahahahaha
    Who has seen the interview... is there something special about it or is it just the usual stuff we already know?
    Usual stuff. Nothing new.
    Okay.
    Posted By: moosefball77Usual stuff. Nothing new.

Well no surprise here, but still...sigh.