To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Sep 25th 2019 edited

What's your vote? (For me it's Anything Goes by a mile)

• AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Sep 25th 2019

AG all the way. Great song, just awful lyrics.
    Anything Goes (despite the song not having a proper chorus). Also, it's absolutely daft that the song was not titled "There She Goes".
    I bet that AG would have gone down a lot better live it feature a big sing along chorus like It's A Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock N Roll) for example.

As for GSRNRT, all I'm going to say is that Axl was a very good sport for singing it.
    •  
    • Sep 25th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permit's absolutely daft that the song was not titled "There She Goes".

Rock N Roll Train says hello.
    Anything Goes has more dynamic to it. So gets my vote.

Although if recommending an ACDC song for line dancing then GSRNRT everyday ;)
    Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permit's absolutely daft that the song was not titled "There She Goes".

Rock N Roll Train says hello.

BOB should have had Brian redo his parts during the chorus (simply change Runaway Train to Rock N Roll Train). I guess he was too busy playing video games.
    "Anything Goes" it's probably the only AC/DC song I always skip in all their catalogue.

I don't get the hate for GSRNRT, it's a funky tune that harks back to some of their 70s material like "Gimme a Bullet". Maybe they overdid it a bit with the backing vocals but it's a nice song.

I think the challenge should have been with "Rock The Blues Away", which sounds A LOT like "Anything Goes" (still it's slightly better than AG).
    They are very different, but I like bluesy rock tunes and GSRNRT has much more of that.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Sep 25th 2019

• Sep 25th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permBOB should have had Brian redo his parts during the chorus (simply change Runaway Train to Rock N Roll Train). I guess he was too busy playing video games.

Or just change the title? Who cares if other bands have one of same name, it doesn't matter.

Posted By: mutt_langes_permAnything Goes (despite the song not having a proper chorus). Also, it's absolutely daft that the song was not titled "There She Goes".
    I bet that AG would have gone down a lot better live it feature a big sing along chorus like It's A Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock N Roll) for example.

I think along loosely similar lines. To me the chorus melody is fine, but it needs some punchy lyrics (and obviously same as the song title) with some back-ups underneath as it's a bit lightweight. Opportunity missed, but I still enjoy the track.
    AG is a lifeless song. Thunder at least has some groove to it. Thunder by a mile.
    Posted By: Grim177

She says GSRNRT, apparently.
    Posted By: Venom Injector"Anything Goes" it's probably the only AC/DC song I always skip in all their catalogue.

I don't get the hate for GSRNRT, it's a funky tune that harks back to some of their 70s material like "Gimme a Bullet". Maybe they overdid it a bit with the backing vocals but it's a nice song.

I think the challenge should have been with "Rock The Blues Away", which sounds A LOT like "Anything Goes" (still it's slightly better than AG).
    What he said!!

GSRNRT has a great feeling to it. AG is bordering on garbage. Even RTBA did that melody better.
    Anything Goes is a real try-hard song at a commercial sound and makes me cringe every time I hear it. Rock 'n' Roll Thunder is a plodder, but I really like the riff in the verse, especially the guitar tone - they really nailed it there. So I can live with this song more easily.
    •  
    • Sep 25th 2019

Posted By: Meanstreak

Evidently your lip reading skills leave something to be desired. Also your familiarity with 1980's film franchises.

Evidently your lip reading skills leave something to be desired. Also your familiarity with 1980's film franchises.
    2nd best Indy film.

I thought she said "neither" ;)
    •  
    • Sep 25th 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin2nd best Indy film.

As long as Raiders is first, agreed.
    Posted By: InfernoWhat's your vote? (For me it's Anything Goes by a mile)

AG by a mile. And it sounds like Born in the USA
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Sep 25th 2019

AG, even though it's a bit SHITE.

GSRNRT is a MASSIVE STEAMING PILE OF DOG VOMIT.

Ah come on, she clearly says RNRT. But, it's more like "thundir". Anyway, as for your other statement, yes, I am not familiar with that movie.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin2nd best Indy film.

As long as Raiders is first, agreed.
    Can't get more classic than Raiders, but Last Crusade is my 1st. Can't beat Sean Connery.
    Posted By: MeanstreakAh come on, she clearly says RNRT. But, it's more like "thundir". Anyway, as for your other statement, yes, I am not familiar with that movie.
    In the film, she's singing a completely different song that also happens to be called Anything Goes.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: MeanstreakAh come on, she clearly says RNRT. But, it's more like "thundir". Anyway, as for your other statement, yes, I am not familiar with that movie.
    In the film, she's singing a completely different song that also happens to be called Anything Goes.

Alright!
    •  
    • Sep 25th 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinCan't get more classic than Raiders, but Last Crusade is my 1st. Can't beat Sean Connery.

AG.
    oddly enough I love both of these and consider them album highlights
    AG is an amazing song. Great riffs, solos, breakdown and not a Rock N´Roll Generic Thing title.
    Thunder thunders over AG. Far superior song if you look at all elements. Thunder starts the Rock N Roll party tonight, AG just drops the mood. Thunder is of course still a bad song and should not have been in the set.

Some reporter was at the BI pre-release listening parry and wrote that here comes hit potential ala YSMANL...got my hopes up. Bought BI and cranked this on; boy o boy it was a huge letdown.

I love the live version of AG here. The solo part around 2:05 is friggen awesome.
    •  
    • Sep 25th 2019

Posted By: ruffstuff88oddly enough I love both of these and consider them album highlights

Yah, that is odd as hell.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Angus3155
    • Sep 26th 2019

From time to time I used to love AG or skip it, but it really grew on me and I'd go for Anything Goes any day.

Before Rock or Bust came out, when I saw the title of GSRNRT, I used to believe it would be kind of a powerful song...I mean, with Thunderstruck we were already used to this "thunder" thing, and I actually expected to be taken through a crazy AC/DC song, one which gets your head bangin' (at least this)...but then, it became the only true skipper in the album.

I'd be as happy as I am with RoB (the album) if it didn't include GSRNRT.

GSRNRT might be funky, funny, easy-dancing, however you wanna call it...but that's what I don't really like about it...it's kind of different, but not really bluesy nor hard-rocking as what has always defined AC/DC IMO. I just don't know where exactly to place this song in that matter.

Anything Goes has a similar story if I talk about placing it as hard-rock or blues...but definitely, the sped up tempo get's you moving way easily. Actually the live version mentioned sounds killer.
    • Sep 26th 2019

GSRNRT is the only song I skip on RoB, though I don't absolutely detest it and don't always skip it.

The thing with Anything Goes is it has a groove, a great feel to it. Musically, it's a gem. It's a good example of one of the many tracks since 1990 which is genuinely, considerably reduced by piss-poor lyrics.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Sep 26th 2019

AG by a mile.
    Anything Goes by a mile also.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Sep 26th 2019

Abstaining.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: dt
    • Sep 26th 2019

Many people, many tastes. My vote for GSRNRT.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Sep 26th 2019

AG for me
    I'll take Anything Goes as the best song out of the 2, it kinda sucked live but not as much as GSRNRT, which got raped by the band.

And The Last Crusade is my favorite Indy movie
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: toddo
    • Sep 26th 2019

I'm kind of shocked that GSRNRT hasn't been remade as a country song. Got some honky tonk thunder or something. Would ACDC have to give their permission for that?
    Anything Goes is one of my all-time most despised AC/DC songs. Totally lacking rock and balls.

And I've listented to GSRNRT so few times I've had to listen to the youtube vid: Don't care at all for the lacklustre blues verse riff — which they fuckin' reprise on the chorus! If ever there was a lazy arrangement this is it. The open chords are nice. But a lame song.

Of all the "battles' this is what is being discussed? Two of the lower-tier AC/DC songs if I ever heard any.

If you guys were talking Evil Walks vs Nervous Shakedown, that would be interesting. Yes, I can fuck off.
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto
    If you guys were talking Evil Walks vs Nervous Shakedown, that would be interesting.
    That's a tough match-up if I've ever seen one. Honestly, general song v. song thread like these would be interesting and would keep the forum more active.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Angus3155
    • Sep 26th 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: Bedlam_in_Toronto
    If you guys were talking Evil Walks vs Nervous Shakedown, that would be interesting.
    That's a tough match-up if I've ever seen one. Honestly, general song v. song thread like these would be interesting and would keep the forum more active.
    Agreed.
    •  
    • Sep 27th 2019

Posted By: Bedlam_in_TorontoOf all the "battles' this is what is being discussed? Two of the lower-tier AC/DC songs if I ever heard any.

Only became a battle because people were talking about turds in another thread.
    • Sep 27th 2019

Posted By: toddoI'm kind of shocked that GSRNRT hasn't been remade as a country song. Got some honky tonk thunder or something. Would ACDC have to give their permission for that?

LoL

I don't like the way BoB influenced that bassline. Yes, it fits, but it just makes the track all the more 'country'. I don't think it's a bad track, it just doesn't belong on an AC/DC record.
    • AC/DC rock music: soda
    • Sep 27th 2019

Rock & Roll Thunder, by a mile. The best track on RoB.
    It's got a groove and a swing, I like that.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Badlands66
    • Sep 27th 2019 edited

Posted By: 900
    I think AG is a horrendous track, it clearly doesn't belong on an AC/DC record.
    Spot on ;)
    • Sep 27th 2019

Posted By: Badlands66I eat way too much fried chicken - and that somehow makes me judge AG unfairly!

Ah! That explains things :-D
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Badlands66
    • Sep 27th 2019 edited

BoL^
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 27th 2019 edited

AG is better than Thunder. Howerer, AG wants too much to be a catchy commercial hitsong but it fails to fully satisfy this anticipation. It has all kinds of nice bits and pieces glued together but it fails in being a well constructed song. The main loss is that it doesn't work towards a great catchy chorus like for instance You Shook Me does. Part of the vocal melody is good but a part is also dad rock to the fullest extend.

Thunder has a few nice ringing chords but that's it. If you watch Axl sing it live you can see him thinking "What the fuck am i doing here"
    Both are absolute shitters although I would take Thunder any day of the week and twice on Tuesdays over AG.