To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Gaolbreak
    • Sep 13th 2019

https://www.webisjer...

Love Fly. A great fun, dumb, rockin party album.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Sep 13th 2019

That's an interesting article with some good comments. Angus' tremolo picking (16ths as described there), the huge room they recorded in, which perhaps explains some of the natural reverbs on the drums and things, which they decided to mix in.

I have no problems enjoying the sound of that album, though the bass being so inaudible is daft. Even the crazy vocal sound, with that reverb, it's part of the album's charm.
    I would like to solve the riddle as to what Brian says at the beginning of the song Fly On The Wall, what sounds like "tired", but it can't be. Any suggestions?
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Sep 13th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakI would like to solve the riddle as to what Brian says at the beginning of the song Fly On The Wall, what sounds like "tired", but it can't be. Any suggestions?

I always thought it is something like "Fly-a" :-D
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Sep 13th 2019

I've found that the best way to listen to FLY is while wasted (drunk or stoned), at VERY HIGH VOLUME.
    It has a rogueish charm. Sink the Pink is a particular highlight.

However, when I first put the album on I thought there was a problem with the speakers - I'm like it sounds all muddy.
    • Sep 13th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakI would like to solve the riddle as to what Brian says at the beginning of the song Fly On The Wall, what sounds like "tired", but it can't be. Any suggestions?

Dyyyyin'
    the case against: it sounds horrible
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 13th 2019

Posted By: 900

Dyyyyin'
    Trapped
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Sep 13th 2019

It's sounds like "Flying" on the studio version to me but live (in Dallas 1985 at least) it sounds like "Tie you down"
    I’m pretty sure he just says “FLYYYYYYYYYYEHEIQOAXKJFJEOWPXME”

The production has aged pretty well - it was shit then, and it’s shit now. However, I can’t imagine the album without it. It’s oozing with character and a sort of dirtiness that is not quite the same as DDDDC but is to the same extent.
    •  
    • Sep 13th 2019

Posted By: ruffstuff88the case against: it sounds horrible

You're DOING IT WRONG.

Consume 8 cans of Scrumpy, each one followed by a whisky or rum chaser. Then try again.
    • AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Sep 13th 2019

I know the crowd of "the worst AC/DC is better than anything else" drives folks nuts, but I don't believe they have one album that is not at least a "good" rock album based on it's own merits, including Fly. When you consider they have some of the best albums in all of rock history, and start comparing their catalog within itself.....then some such as Fly tumble fast. I like the songs, but it's hard to understand how the band did their own producing on Flick, then came to the sound of Fly 2 years later.
    Fly is not my go to album in the car driving or in my home. However, for some reason I absolutely love it cranked as loud as it will go when working out in the gym. Dumb fun is a great description. I guess everything has it's place.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Sep 13th 2019

my mate had a row with his neighbour...

anyway, the neighbour got to know FLY pretty well during the hours me mate was at work as he kept the cd LOUD and on repeat
    Posted By: Grim177It's sounds like "Flying" on the studio version to me but live (in Dallas 1985 at least) it sounds like "Tie you down"

Live he does the "tired" I studio it sounds like "Fly" both elongated in the way he pronounces them, making it more difficult to understand.

Good article also,love seeing Fly being discussed. Still play the shit out of this record, all 10 tracks are great.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Sep 14th 2019 edited

FOTW is great fun. Hard. Heavy. Filth.

Music for fighting and fucking.

RTFO.
    •  
    • Sep 14th 2019 edited

Posted By: nitroangus23Live he does the "tired" I studio it sounds like "Fly" both elongated in the way he pronounces them, making it more difficult to understand.

I know it sounds like "Tired" but I've long thought that it must be something else and that's my take. Why would he sing the word "Tired" completely on it's own, with no context at the very start of a song.

This sounds like "Tie you down" to me. Unless it's "Tired ow!" which makes no sense.

• AC/DC rock music: 44
    • Sep 14th 2019

I'd say Fly is the single most underrated thing on the AC/DC discography. I like how the background vocals are louder in the mix than probably any other record they've done. Really makes it stand out from the rest
    The problem is the songs aren't top notch. There are some stone cold classics (SYF, title track, Sink the pink) but the production is harsh. Add the fact that there are some lousy generic songs like stand up and danger and this places it just above dirty deeds for my least favorite acdc record. still not the worst choice for a pub jukebox soundtrack, just take an advil before tuning in
    • Sep 14th 2019

Posted By: ruffstuff88The problem is the songs aren't top notch.

For me the balance is nearly all great songs, and 2 or 3 good ones. Nothing on there I don't like, I'm even fond of Danger!

Posted By: 44I like how the background vocals are louder in the mix than probably any other record they've done. Really makes it stand out from the rest

I like that as well, though on BIB and STP they perhaps took it a bit far as you can barely make out Brian on the choruses.
    Crap lyrics aside, I've always enjoyed the songs. It's the 100% pure shit production that takes away from the album as a whole. The remastering helped but the thing needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. We got a taste of that with Shake Your Foundations redone for Who Made Who. Not the best mix but an improvement.

Danger is in my Top Five AC/DC songs. It's generally despised but I loved it from the first time I heard it.

The videos? Yeah, a fly. You know Malcolm was sinking into alcoholism if he thought a fly was a great concept for an album. But, hey we got videos for half the album. That doesn't happen anymore.
    • Sep 14th 2019

Posted By: reillylivesCrap lyrics aside, I've always enjoyed the songs. It's the 100% pure shit production that takes away from the album as a whole. The remastering helped but the thing needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. We got a taste of that with Shake Your Foundations redone for Who Made Who. Not the best mix but an improvement.

Danger is in my Top Five AC/DC songs. It's generally despised but I loved it from the first time I heard it.

Quite a few cans of worms opened there, reaillylives!

What's wrong with the lyrics?

Production, has some glaring weirdisms, but 100% bad seems a bit unfair? Great guitar sounds, a decent attempt to go against the typical mid-80s drum sounds, but yeah the lack of bass was absurd and the vocal reverb simply weird and amateurish, even though I kind of wouldn't want it changed now as that's part of the famed sound of the record.

Shake Your Foundations remix - I thought that was a bit of a confused fuck-up, and not an improvement. A weird, distant echo on the vocal, and generally just not that great in terms of redoing it.

Nice to see some praise for Danger though!
    Posted By: reillylivesDanger is in my Top Five AC/DC songs.

All righty then! Cue the men in the white coats!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Sep 14th 2019

The fact is that there is no case for Fly on the Wall. It's really more of a rusty-hinged drawer in the shed that remains locked until you're cider drunk.
    Brian is just saying “fly” in his own inimitable way, no?
    Posted By: 900 Even the crazy vocal sound, with that reverb, it's part of the album's charm.

Agreed, while the WMW mix of Shake your Foundations is great to hear Brian's vocals loud and clear, without the reverb, he sounds much less powerful (especially the screams leading into the chorus "YOU KNOW ... WHAT FOR!"). All it really needs is a little trim of the reverb and a big increase in volume. Reverb is definitely part of the album's character. The remix doesn't even sound like the same album and loses much of the character.

Posted By: ThankassTrapped

This is the most logical answer. Why the hell would he say "tired"?

The other question is what does he say after that? Sounds like maybe "You got trapped" and maybe "Gone down a peg, said yes"?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Sep 14th 2019 edited

Posted By: tomscotlandBrian is just saying “fly” in his own inimitable way, no?

Did you listen to the live version posted above? Definitely saying more than one word. It does sound like "tie you down", but I'll admit that I'm probably hearing that because someone suggested it. On the album I always thought he was just screaming, not actually saying something.
    I'm pretty sure it's just

FLY OOOOOOOOH YOOOOW

in the live version.
    • AC/DC rock music: Ruddie
    • Sep 15th 2019

I love Fly On The Wall.

It has a lot of exciting never-heard-before moments which is great.

The sound is an essential part of the album for me. While it's not up there with the great sounding albums, it still sounds *great* in its own raw, sloppy, unique way. It's by far the greatest album without Ruddie.

Lately, I've enjoyed Fly far more than FOTS, largely because it rarely feels to me that Phil is on that album. At least we know for sure who plays on FLY.

And lastly, I wouldn't want one of my all time fave tracks - Playing With Girls - to sound any different than it does here. What a fucking nutkicker!
    •  
    • Sep 15th 2019

Posted By: reillylivesThe remastering helped but the thing needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. We got a taste of that with Shake Your Foundations redone for Who Made Who. Not the best mix but an improvement.

The "remastering" particularly in the case of this album purely constituted of compressing much of the dynamics out of it. The bog standard Atlantic CD from the 80's is better, you just have to turn it up. In comparison to the original, the remix of SYF is a significant step backwards and sounds more like a demo to me.

Posted By: RuddieLately, I've enjoyed Fly far more than FOTS, largely because it rarely feels to me that Phil is on that album. At least we know for sure who plays on FLY.

What makes you feel that it's not Phil playing on that album?
    • Sep 15th 2019

Nice comments from Ruddie, I was aligned with all of that aside from the FOTS / Rudd thing. The rumours will never go away but it sounds full-fat Rudd to my ears..
    • Sep 15th 2019

Posted By: RuddieLately, I've enjoyed Fly far more than FOTS, largely because it rarely feels to me that Phil is on that album. At least we know for sure who plays on FLY.

What makes you feel that it's not Phil playing on that album?

Hope I did this quote thing right.

Grim177, at times it simply doesn't feel like his style.

Plus, he was driven from the studio to the airport by their tour manager after being fired and another drummer was hired to finish the job.

I am sure this is nothing new as most people know this but why hire someone else if everything was finished?

Anyway, people can discuss this endlessly without a solid answer. It doesn't sound like Phil to me but what the hell do I know - I'm just a drummer;)
    • Sep 15th 2019

Posted By: 900Nice comments from Ruddie, I was aligned with all of that aside from the FOTS / Rudd thing. The rumours will never go away but it sounds full-fat Rudd to my ears..

Cheers, 900. It is such a great album for what it is, innit?

Fair enough. We will never know eh:)
    •  
    • Sep 15th 2019

Posted By: RuddieGrim177, at times it simply doesn't feel like his style.

Plus, he was driven from the studio to the airport by their tour manager after being fired and another drummer was hired to finish the job.

I am sure this is nothing new as most people know this but why hire someone else if everything was finished?

Anyway, people can discuss this endlessly without a solid answer. It doesn't sound like Phil to me but what the hell do I know - I'm just a drummer;)

What parts don't feel like his style to you? I've usually seen people site RP as an example but I suspect they do that purely because they've never heard Phil play that same part before. As a drummer you'd appreciate that I'm sure.

You're talking about B.J Wilson. This is the story as Ian Jeffrey tells it. Wilson turned up off his flight pissed, Ian collected him, he went straight into the control room with Malcolm and got steadily more pissed drinking brandy with him whilst listening to the album and playing along with his hands on his knees. They got on well apparently. He never got anywhere near a drum kit and was on a plane home the next morning on Malcolm's orders.

Solid enough answer for me :)
    • Sep 15th 2019

Posted By: RuddieCheers, 900. It is such a great album for what it is, innit?

Exactly that, Ruddie! You don't sit there listening to it while comparing it with Back In Black or whatever, you just enjoy it for its own special, bombastic, full-on fun and uniqueness!

Posted By: Grim177Wilson turned up off his flight pissed, Ian collected him, he went straight into the control room with Malcolm and got steadily more pissed drinking brandy with him whilst listening to the album and playing along with his hands on his knees. They got on well apparently. He never got anywhere near a drum kit and was on a plane home the next morning on Malcolm's orders.

Such a cool story. And likely true, I think Ian Jeffrey was pretty solid and honest. He had some interesting tales about Rudd, saying it got to the point where he'd be kind of hallucinating, thinking someone else was in his room and things..
    •  
    • Sep 15th 2019

Posted By: 900I think Ian Jeffrey was pretty solid and honest. He had some interesting tales about Rudd, saying it got to the point where he'd be kind of hallucinating, thinking someone else was in his room and things..

Of the usual suspects interviewed for biographies, Ian Jeffrey always strikes me as one of the most honest and open. Given how he was treated towards the end he could be a vindictive and bitter but he never strikes me as such. It would be good to see a book written by him.
    • Sep 15th 2019

Posted By: Grim177
    Posted By: RuddieGrim177, at times it simply doesn't feel like his style.

What parts don't feel like his style to you? I've usually seen people site RP as an example but I suspect they do that purely because they've never heard Phil play that same part before. As a drummer you'd appreciate that I'm sure.

You're talking about B.J Wilson. This is the story as Ian Jeffrey tells it. Wilson turned up off his flight pissed, Ian collected him, he went straight into the control room with Malcolm and got steadily more pissed drinking brandy with him whilst listening to the album and playing along with his hands on his knees. They got on well apparently. He never got anywhere near a drum kit and was on a plane home the next morning on Malcolm's orders.

Solid enough answer for me :)

Well, I might be completely wrong about this. I feel that the drumming lack the punch and drive that I am used to from Phil but this might be due to the sound on the album. While I can appreciate the rawness, the whole thing overall lacks punch.

Another thing is that the drumming seems just a touch more towards the middle of the beat rather than at the back, where Phil is used to being.

I'll be shit-sprayed for this by the know-it-alls here but the title track, BL, BS and THIOF sound like this to me.

But again,...even though I love most of the songs, I am easily irritated by the overall sound and that might be the reason, not the actual drumming.

And Grim177, I agree with you on RP.

Having said all this shite....I love FOTW more than Flick.

And yes, let the shit-spraying begin! :D
    • Sep 15th 2019

Posted By: 900
    Posted By: RuddieCheers, 900. It is such a great album for what it is, innit?

Exactly that, Ruddie! You don't sit there listening to it while comparing it with Back In Black or whatever, you just enjoy it for its own special, bombastic, full-on fun and uniqueness!

Solid statement, mate. We wouldn't know the highs so well if it wasn't for the lows, twists and turns.

It's all about contrast and dynamics.
    •  
    • Sep 15th 2019 edited

Vive la difference!

I can't imagine what a fucking miserable bore it must be to relentlessly compare everything to BIB.
    •  
    • Sep 15th 2019 edited

Posted By: RuddieWell, I might be completely wrong about this. I feel that the drumming lack the punch and drive that I am used to from Phil but this might be due to the sound on the album. While I can appreciate the rawness, the whole thing overall lacks punch.

Another thing is that the drumming seems just a touch more towards the middle of the beat rather than at the back, where Phil is used to being.

I'll be shit-sprayed for this by the know-it-alls here but the title track, BL, BS and THIOF sound like this to me.

But again,...even though I love most of the songs, I am easily irritated by the overall sound and that might be the reason, not the actual drumming.

I think know what you mean - but I still think it's all Rudd :)

When you factor in the comparatively rushed nature of the recording, the likelihood he was up to his eyeballs on various Class A's, that he reportedly finished his parts quickly (aka was given the arse before he had the chance to redo anything?) and that it's not the greatest drum sound he was ever gifted with, that's the result.
    I also think the question begs as to why the band looked for another drummer to come to Compass Point Studios if the drums already had been recorded by Rudd. What was the reason for this?
    • Sep 15th 2019

Posted By: Grim177
    Posted By: RuddieWell, I might be completely wrong about this. I feel that the drumming lack the punch and drive that I am used to from Phil but this might be due to the sound on the album. While I can appreciate the rawness, the whole thing overall lacks punch.

I think know what you mean - but I still think it's all Rudd :)

When you factor in the comparatively rushed nature of the recording, the likelihood he was up to his eyeballs on various Class A's, that he reportedly finished his parts quickly (aka was given the arse before he had the chance to redo anything?) and that it's not the greatest drum sound he was ever gifted with, that's the result.

Those are absolutely solid points.

And I'll gladly change my opinion around this subject.

Posted By: Grim177Vive la difference!

I can't imagine what a fucking miserable bore it must be to relentlessly compare everything to BIB.

Aye. Fkn A. Although I have a very strong idea about how AC/DC should sound like, I very much appreciate the shite stuff that they've done too.

And it doesn't make sense to me to always compare what bands do to their so called 'peaks'. For me, AC/DC has been such an interesting journey and since I got into them (in 1983) I've grown even more appreciative for all their twists and turns. You can't expect anybody to have a flawless career. It can't be done.

So for me to have this beast of an album in Fly On The Wall, with its powerful yet imperfect sound, the unique riffs, the side Jonna shows on here, Simon's style of drumming. ..it is such a gift that I appreciate it just as much as BIB in its own way.

Blabbering and ranting.

But good fucking shit eh!
    • Sep 15th 2019

Oh, and last but not least - judging from all the great boots - the tracks they performed off of the album sounded absolutely amazing live.
    Posted By: MeanstreakI also think the question begs as to why the band looked for another drummer to come to Compass Point Studios if the drums already had been recorded by Rudd. What was the reason for this?

Well, as Grim said, it's not Rudd's best work, but at the same time we know he's good enough to lay down 10 solid tracks in a week. They probably were unsure if they would need to patch up parts of his work or not when it all came together in the end. But of course, with the raw nature of the album, they probably said "yeah, they're rough tracks but they'll work". Lord knows they'd had enough re-recording of parts with Mutt on FTATR, that was their biggest complaint, particularly around drums as I recall.

Also, with Phil fresh out of the band, I'd imagine Mal would have taken pleasure in crediting a different drummer as a little dig if they really did use somebody else's work, even partially.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Sep 16th 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    Posted By: MeanstreakI also think the question begs as to why the band looked for another drummer to come to Compass Point Studios if the drums already had been recorded by Rudd. What was the reason for this?

Well, as Grim said, it's not Rudd's best work, but at the same time we know he's good enough to lay down 10 solid tracks in a week. They probably were unsure if they would need to patch up parts of his work or not when it all came together in the end. But of course, with the raw nature of the album, they probably said "yeah, they're rough tracks but they'll work". Lord knows they'd had enough re-recording of parts with Mutt on FTATR, that was their biggest complaint, particularly around drums as I recall.

Also, with Phil fresh out of the band, I'd imagine Mal would have taken pleasure in crediting a different drummer as a little dig if they really did use somebody else's work, even partially.

I'd have doubts that playing to another drummer fresh off the plane was going to work in any way. So used would they have been to Phil's feel that another drummer would just have felt annoying at such short notice.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 16th 2019

Good article.
    FOTW has the nastiest guitar tone bar LTBR. For that alone it's a joy listening to it.
    • AC/DC rock music: Mike206
    • Sep 16th 2019 edited

The Case *AGAINST* Fly

No Phil probably doomed this effort anyhow, but replacing him with Simon LOL ... Worst. Drummer. Ever.
    Production ... a fucking mess.
    Brian ... voice starting to go ... later producers would figure out how to work with him, but this record does him no favors. I guess it could be argued it doesn't matter since most of the lyrics are nearly unintelligible thanks the the production.
    Missed opportunity ... STP and SYF could have been stone cold classics in the right hands, instead they're butchered in this shit show of an album.
    Collapse ... ACDC was coming off a run of historical hard rock albums, as good as anything the Stones had ever done, and then utterly collapsed with Fly ... Fly's failure is all the more emphatic and obvious in comparison with HTH, BiB, FTATR, et al.

A small contingent of fans will continue on whistling in the dark about Fly ... that doesn't change the reality that it's ACDC's second worst album (Hi there, Video), and marked a clear and disappointing end to their run of historically great albums.
    •  
    • Sep 16th 2019

Posted By: Mike206The Case *AGAINST* Fly

No Phil probably doomed this effort anyhow, but replacing him with Simon LOL ... Worst. Drummer. Ever.

And that's where I stopped reading. Simon is no Phil (but then WHO IS? lol), but worst drummer ever? Not by a FUCKING LONG SHOT, mate! Although he did sometimes lack in groove (especially in '88 by which time he was clearly bored), he twatted the fuck out of them, and there's some great live footage on YouTube with him behind the kit (Rio 85 says HI).
    Posted By: DustDevil

And that's where I stopped reading. Simon is no Phil (but then WHO IS? lol), but worst drummer ever? Not by a FUCKING LONG SHOT, mate! Although he did sometimes lack in groove (especially in '88 by which time he was clearly bored), he twatted the fuck out of them, and there's some great live footage on YouTube with him behind the kit (Rio 85 says HI).

Yeah that dude is nuts, but '85 seems like the only year Simon ever put in actual effort. The shows from the Flick tour were always dragged down by him and of course nothing needs to be said about 1988. Even by 1986, he gets the opportunity to open a song with drums for WMW and what does he give us but as much swing as a belt buckle in a washing machine...

ACDC was coming off a run of historical hard rock albums, as good as anything the Stones had ever done, and then utterly collapsed with Fly ... Fly's failure is all the more emphatic and obvious in comparison with HTH, BiB, FTATR, et al.

Funny because IIRC, Fly sold better than Flick upon release and was regarded as something of a comeback at the time.