To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

Such an interesting pic, isn’t it? There’s so few of Mal playing his backup Tele, this gold. Marquee 76 I believe.
    One of three gigs i’ve Seen photos of him using it.

Wuckin awesome.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 11th 2019

Great picture! But i wonder how much it would have changed his sound on that specific moment. A Telecaster has a very unique sound that differs from a Gretsch.

Or maybe the set up was the same as his nr1 Gretch? Same strings, pickups etc?
    Didn’t he and Angus use to share the Tele as a backup axe in those days?
    Stands to reason that maybe super heavy strings were not used, if Mal even used those gauges back then.

I wonder if they had so little cash between ‘em that they couldn’t afford to get an extra Sg or a Firebird each as backup though.
    Posted By: tomscotlandSuch an interesting pic, isn’t it? There’s so few of Mal playing his backup Tele, this gold. Marquee 76 I believe.

Spot on. Someone said there may be a live recording of this somewhere?
    Posted By: Badlands66Didn’t he and Angus use to share the Tele as a backup axe in those days?
    Stands to reason that maybe super heavy strings were not used, if Mal even used those gauges back then.

I wonder if they had so little cash between ‘em that they couldn’t afford to get an extra Sg or a Firebird each as backup though.

Pretty sure they shared it. Didn't it have a Filtertron in the bridge for Mal and a humbucker in the neck for Angus? Thought I read somewhere it did and whoever was using it just flipped to the pickup they needed.
    •  
    • Sep 12th 2019

The photo of Mal using a spare SG from Angus is also epic. Around '79 or so.
    I cannot find that anymore.
    Didn't Mal or Ang use a tele at one of the lat '70s California gigs? I'm thinking Fresno.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Sep 12th 2019

Posted By: ThankassThe photo of Mal using a spare SG from Angus is also epic. Around '79 or so.

That one is actually from January 27, 1980. Last gig they played with Bon. It's also a pic Robert Ellis took.
    •  
    • Sep 12th 2019

Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: ThankassThe photo of Mal using a spare SG from Angus is also epic. Around '79 or so.

That one is actually from January 27, 1980. Last gig they played with Bon. It's also a pic Robert Ellis took.
    Ah ok. The Southampton one. Nice. Seems to be vanished online..
    I bought two t-shirts like that to honor the best right hand in rock n' roll.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: dt
    • Sep 12th 2019

Posted By: Thankass

Ah ok. The Southampton one. Nice. Seems to be vanished online..

This one?

I think I have even another, slightly different, picture somewhere in the depths of my old laptop.
    •  
    • Sep 12th 2019

^Yep! And indeed i also remember one where malcolm is more visible upfront.
    Malcolm used the Tele in 77 in San Francisco at the Old Waldorf. recordings and photos exist.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: dt
    • Sep 12th 2019

Posted By: Thankass^Yep! And indeed i also remember one where malcolm is more visible upfront.

Started thorough archeological work deep in my old laptop just to find the same one (maybe in slightly better resolution). Anyway, I still believe I saw some other similar.

Maybe Mr. Ellis himself can help to solve this mystery?
    • AC/DC rock music: ianbigmac
    • Sep 12th 2019 edited

It seems that both this and another thread have turned into Robert Ellis talk. I know of his work, but am not familiar with really any of it nor his books.

After some research, was he the photographer of the band only during the Mutt era? Also, isn't he a member of this forum?
    Ah - I found Jem's old interview with Ellis, but the videos don't seem to work :(
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Sep 12th 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinIt seems that both this and another thread have turned into Robert Ellis talk. I know of his work, but am not familiar with really any of it nor his books.

After some research, was he the photographer of the band only during the Mutt era? Also, isn't he a member of this forum?

You know more of his work than you realise.Robert’s photos are used on the Back In Black inner sleeve and the live shot on the inside of the FTABTR album. Then there’s the Touch Too Much single etc and the iconic black and white photo of Angus that was used as a poster in the 3 album boxed sets that were issued in France and Germany
    • Sep 12th 2019 edited

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinIt seems that both this and another thread have turned into Robert Ellis talk. I know of his work, but am not familiar with really any of it nor his books.

Yeah, he photographed 'em between 1979 and 1982. The first gig was at Wembley Stadium on the HTH tour where they opened for The Who. After the end of the Cannon & Bell tour they stopped working with him. He says he was never given a reason. But as we know, at the time the band was getting rid of a lot of people they had worked with: Peter Mensch, Ian Jeffery, Mutt Lang, Leber & Krebs.

Yeah, he also posts from time to time here. He photographed almost anybody who was big in the 70s and 80s. From AC/DC to Queen to Led Zeppelin to the Scorpions to Genesis ecc. He also took pics of Geordie in the early 70s. His books may not be cheap but they are worth every penny IMO. He's also very active on FB and posts lots of pics. And he seems to be a very nice approachable and bloke. His pics are iconic.
    The Telecaster used by Mal was Georges.
    Posted By: whiteFalcon2.0The Telecaster used by Mal was Georges.

It was. That's what I was told too

Can also see George similarly dressed to Angus while playing it.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: youngjohn
    • Sep 13th 2019

Was there not an interview sometime where Malcolm and/or Angus were joking about that telecaster ending up being used as an ashtray?

I'm sure I remember that but I'm getting old and it may just be the hallucinations again..........
    • AC/DC rock music: Neilsy
    • Sep 14th 2019

I found that photo of Malcolm at the Marquee. It was such a buzz when the owner of it sent it to me. He didn’t take many at this gig. The wonders of Facebook!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Sep 14th 2019

I can't imagine a telecaster having the right sound for AC/DC. Obviously I'm wrong since they saw fit to use one as a backup, but it's still hard to envision.
    Posted By: BrianyI can't imagine a telecaster having the right sound for AC/DC. Obviously I'm wrong since they saw fit to use one as a backup, but it's still hard to envision.

Many people would be hard pressed imagining Gretsch being the sound of AC/DC as well.

Mal could play a squire strat through a Line 6 solid state and would still sound like AC/DC.
    It's about the player, right hand, left hand, not the guitar, the most.
    •  
    • Sep 14th 2019

Posted By: Spellbound
    Posted By: BrianyI can't imagine a telecaster having the right sound for AC/DC. Obviously I'm wrong since they saw fit to use one as a backup, but it's still hard to envision.

Many people would be hard pressed imagining Gretsch being the sound of AC/DC as well.

Mal could play a squire strat through a Line 6 solid state and would still sound like AC/DC.

There are limits to this. I heard Angus play through that little Backtracks amp, and it sounded sheeite.
    You can get a reasonable growl out of even a stock tele of this era, the sound didn’t really brighten right up and start “quacking” until you had vol at 8, 9 or 10.
    • Sep 15th 2019

If you consider how clean Mal's sound was and the twangy sound of Gretsch guitars a Telecaster is pretty much the perfect choice for it if you haven't got a Gretsch handy, IMO.
    Posted By: ThankassGreat picture! But i wonder how much it would have changed his sound on that specific moment. A Telecaster has a very unique sound that differs from a Gretsch.

Or maybe the set up was the same as his nr1 Gretch? Same strings, pickups etc?

It's not that different actually. An original vintage 60's FilterTron also has that twang as a telecaster, only less.
    See it this way: It has the twang of a tele with the balls of an humbucker.
    I clearly remember Mal playing an SG in Åbo during HB during the SUL tour.
    Posted By: soulstripper666I clearly remember Mal playing an SG in Åbo during HB during the SUL tour.

You sure it was an SG? Malcolm was playing a white Falcon junior that was repainted black mid tour. Much closer to an SG in size.
    For anyone curious - the font on Malcolm’s shirt is called Broadway, if anyone wants to make reproductions for fans.net.
    Posted By: soulstripper666I clearly remember Mal playing an SG in Åbo during HB during the SUL tour.

I have always kicked myself for not going to that one and now a bit even more so
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Sep 15th 2019

I thought this "No wuckin' furries" thing was a bit naff at first....a few days later and I can't stop saying it! :-D
    • Sep 20th 2019

Rufus told me you can now buy the T-shirt without having to buy the book now.
    •  
    • Sep 20th 2019

If you consider how clean Mal's sound was and the twangy sound of Gretsch guitars a Telecaster is pretty much the perfect choice for it if you haven't got a Gretsch handy, IMO.

As an aside, I've always kind of fancied getting a tele, but never pulled the trigger. Was always a Les Paul guy.
    Posted By: BrianyAs an aside, I've always kind of fancied getting a tele, but never pulled the trigger. Was always a Les Paul guy.

Tele's are cool, but some of them can be a bit stubborn to adjust to. They definitely are fun to put through a Marshall.
    Posted By: NeilsyRufus told me you can now buy the T-shirt without having to buy the book now.

BRB e-mailing them now
    • Sep 20th 2019

I had a lovely Tele years ago, but I sold the bloody thing.. arghh
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Sep 22nd 2019

Rule No.1...... NEVER sell a guitar!
    • Sep 22nd 2019

Posted By: NeilsyRufus told me you can now buy the T-shirt without having to buy the book now.

BRB e-mailing them now
    Any luck with a T-shirt?
    • Sep 22nd 2019

Posted By: SpellboundFor anyone curious - the font on Malcolm’s shirt is called Broadway, if anyone wants to make reproductions for fans.net.
    I’ve been thinking of doing some AC/DC T-shirts for a while now. I’ve got some nice images, I just don’t want to infringe on copyrights
    • Sep 22nd 2019

Posted By: BrianyAs an aside, I've always kind of fancied getting a tele, but never pulled the trigger. Was always a Les Paul guy.

Tele's are cool, but some of them can be a bit stubborn to adjust to. They definitely are fun to put through a Marshall.
    I love them, I must have been strapped for cash at the time. Their beauty is in their simplicity.