To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

• AC/DC rock music: shatti
    • Sep 8th 2019 edited

hi, this is my first discussion in the forums
    Angus is my num 1 guitarist of all time, i will not be bias and will share my full subjective thought about him

1- the people who say he is average:
    personally i fully understand these people, he is not romantic when he's playing, not warm and seductive, doesn't use wah pedal :p
    the rhythm it self it's not suited to create that tone & environment, it suited for hard crispy meat :P
    these people are not clueless, they just love this style and care about sensual emotions when soloing

2- the people who call him god (me): why?
    TECHNIQUE
    TENSION
    MEAT
    great bends and heavy usage of bluesy chords mid soloing
    double stop double stop double stop unison unison unison
    it's just create a hell of "eyebrows twitching" tension that hit's the nerves

MEAT ?

it's the feeling of Angus,
    sometimes he's having a party:
    highway to hell and shook me solos
    sometimes it's meat, rust and dust
    back in black
    sometimes it's BIG & Huge
    C.O.D
    sometimes rusty & bluesy
    stiff upper lip
    sometimes it's just rock n roll
    rocker

sorry, i'm totally bias

ur thoughts ladies and gentlemen?
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Sep 8th 2019

One of the greats, for me. Note selection, tone, vibrato.. Some people can't 'feel' it and hence can't differentiate from other blues-based players. But there are plenty of other guitar greats who've paid similar respects to Angus as a player.

It's not all 'MEAT' though, there's a hell of a lot of subtlety to his playing as well.
    • AC/DC rock music: shatti
    • Sep 8th 2019

Posted By: 900One of the greats, for me. Note selection, tone, vibrato.. Some people can't 'feel' it and hence can't differentiate from other blues-based players. But there are plenty of other guitar greats who've paid similar respects to Angus as a player.

It's not all 'MEAT' though, there's a hell of a lot of subtlety to his playing as well.

i totally forgot about vibrato
    what a crime, sorry
    To deal with playing and running about like a lunatic he is a fucking God. What 900 said pretty much sums Angus up perfectly. He is a legend without doubt. Not the greatest by a long shot tho. He is my musical hero by a mile. No one will ever come close to what he did live. Fucking legend
    I love Angus, i wouldn't classify him as a GOD. But he's definitely a VERY solid and precise player. His feel, his vibrato, his energy... Angus is a beast, and for me, the best guitar showman of Rock. He has such a charisma in the stage...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Sep 8th 2019 edited

Angus Young has a rare gift among guitar players in that he only has to play a few notes and he's identified himself. 95 percent of gigging guitar players, to give a generous estimate, are like water - they have no flavour and are unremarkable. They are merely adequate. Merely fit for purpose. One cup of water is the same as the next, unless you're from Flint, Michigan.

In fact, you'll never get a true idea of how good Angus Young is just by watching him, but rather by watching those who try to copy him. Watch the recent videos of GnR doing Riff Raff for a great example of this. Proof that you can practice all you want, but that practice doesn't make for good taste.

Probably the reason why Angus has always been characterised as quiet is because he prefers to listen. This is the best lesson in all of music.
    God.

It takes an incredible amount of skill to play as accurately as he did while also running like a fucking madman. His lead stuff is way out of my grasp as a guitarist, and that’s just trying to sit down and play it. Technique junkies can call him an average player until the sun goes down, but as far as I’m concerned he’s got the perfect mix of lead technique and rhythm feel.
    He means a lot to me, and will always be my number one. Seeing this madman running around on stage while sweating bullets and playing amazingly was really what got 12 year old me into ACDC (also, Bon...). Who cares if he can't run up and down scales at 50000 notes per nanosecond - he has a perfect mixture of bluesy feeling and adrenaline-laced fingers that create more intensity with speed.

As of late (the past two years or so), I've been really focused on Mal, Rudd, and Brian as musicians. When I listen to an ACDC track, I tend to float towards the rhythm more than the lead, and maybe that's because I was the exact opposite for the first two or so years that I listened to them. It's about time I go back to Angus and really pay attention to what he's doing.

Great post, OP!

EDIT: not sure if time stamps work on this site, but the good shit's at 4:24
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Sep 8th 2019

No other guitarist makes me feel the way Ang does. That makes him a great.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Sep 8th 2019

The greatest live entertainer of all time and without doubt a guitar god.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Sep 8th 2019 edited

He's an Embodiment of pure Rock'N'Roll Energy & therefore alone a guitar god.

Whenever the expression "guitar god" comes up, he's certainly among the first few people I'd think of TBH:)
    Angus Young is a phenomenal rock guitar player. The best out there. Vibrato, phrasing, timing and his dynamics are out of this world.
    • AC/DC rock music: BrennaB
    • Sep 8th 2019

Posted By: JemNo other guitarist makes me feel the way Ang does. That makes him a great.

My thoughts as well! I can’t get technical like some of you can but Jems post here is perfect.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 9th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakAngus Young is a phenomenal rock guitar player. The best out there. Vibrato, phrasing, timing and his dynamics are out of this world.
    For me Angus is legendary I've never seen a guitarist do as much as Angus in one show and especially play that well while running around and nothing to hide behind proves that he is one of the greatest if not best guitarist out there
    •  
    • Sep 9th 2019

Posted By: Shadow1985For me Angus is legendary I've never seen a guitarist do as much as Angus in one show and especially play that well while running around and nothing to hide behind proves that he is one of the greatest if not best guitarist out there

A lot of people can play the Guns for Hire riff, I guess, but how many can nail it while diving off a Marshall stack straight into a duck walk?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Sep 9th 2019

Malcolm was better tho !
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Sep 9th 2019

AIG
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Sep 9th 2019

Straight from the horse's mouth
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Sep 10th 2019

A lot of people can play the Guns for Hire riff, I guess, but how many can nail it while diving off a Marshall stack straight into a duck walk?

He has done some pretty high leaps over the years crashing down on to the stage . When you think he used to do it night after night on tour he has done well not to have injured himself . Great guitarist , both in studio and Live . Live for me is where he excels . He is the inspiration for so many guitarist around the world
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Sep 10th 2019

Angus was born to play guitar.
    •  
    • 7 days ago

Posted By: savsav

He has done some pretty high leaps over the years crashing down on to the stage . When you think he used to do it night after night on tour he has done well not to have injured himself .

Well, he was younger then, and he's only ever looked like he weighed about 7 stone, so his knees probably didn't take too much of a bruising.
    • AC/DC rock music: Kman34
    • 7 days ago

Angus is an alien from the planet Rock an Roll... Mals casket was empty cause they came back for him.. They will come for Angus eventually but there is still Rocking to do.. He was sent here to Kick ass and Rock the earth with that nasty alien rhythm and blues sound..
    We are just lucky they sent Malcolm and him instead of sucking our brains out our ears..
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • 7 days ago

•  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • 7 days ago edited

Posted By: Kman34Angus is an alien from the planet Rock an Roll...

Angus’s vibrato is second only to Kossoff IMO. I see Angus essentially as a blues player, and based on that I rate him pretty high.
    He rarely strays away from pentatonic/blues scale, yet makes every solo sound unique.
    Yes he is above average
    For me, it's very simple. In his prime, when he was a force of nature on stage, NO ONE could play as well as he did while doing what he did. NO ONE. Ever. And, for those who missed out on seeing the band when they were in their prime, you could feel the energy he put out. That doesn't come across watching old videos.

In my opinion, the best rock guitarist to date. A true original who took what came before and made it his own.
    Posted By: tomscotlandAngus’s vibrato is second only to Kossoff IMO. I see Angus essentially as a blues player, and based on that I rate him pretty high.
    He rarely strays away from pentatonic/blues scale, yet makes every solo sound unique.

Spot on tomscotland
    Posted By: reillylivesFor me, it's very simple. In his prime, when he was a force of nature on stage, NO ONE could play as well as he did while doing what he did. NO ONE. Ever. And, for those who missed out on seeing the band when they were in their prime, you could feel the energy he put out. That doesn't come across watching old videos.

In my opinion, the best rock guitarist to date. A true original who took what came before and made it his own.

That’s an excellent point about how good his playing was whilst he was going absolutely batshit mental on stage. His pitch was always locked, even when his entire body was travelling in seven different directions at once.