To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

•  
      AC/DC rock music: bonlives
    • Sep 8th 2019 edited

Any watch collectors/aficionados on the forum?
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Sep 8th 2019

WIS checking in.
    • AC/DC rock music: nimeta
    • Sep 8th 2019

I have a small (but valuable collection). 3 Rolex, I Patek and a limited edition Tag.

What do you have?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Sep 8th 2019

I'm a bit of a Casio fan....

•  
    • Sep 8th 2019

Very nice, nimeta. Wasn’t expecting a Patek within 2 posts of my question :)

I’ve always had a love of watches - as a kid I’d save up to buy watches off the back of TV guides/catalogues.

I’ve got a couple of semi-collectible (as I’ve recently discovered) Seiko divers that belonged to my grandfather, and picked up my first Tag recently. I made the terrible mistake a couple of years ago of reading a watch magazine in an airport lounge (dangerous places!) and have been resisting the urge to collect watches ever since. Was reading up on the reissue of the Heuer Autavia in the magazine and got totally hooked. Since then I’ve been binge reading on Swiss watches and really enjoying learning about it all.
    •  
    • Sep 8th 2019

Nice one Dusty. I’ve still got my original casios from the 80s - love ‘em. I didn’t realise this until fairly recently, but those classic casios are back in fashion with the cool kids. I was complimenting people on their watches thinking they’d acquired a retro 80s casio without realising they were likely brand new.
    •  
    • Sep 8th 2019

(One of your watches is behind an hour. It’s annoying me. Fix it please, or you’ll be banned :))
    •  
    • Sep 8th 2019

Posted By: FLACDCWIS checking in.
    Watch idiot savant?
    I started to get interested in watches. Haven't got to the expensive Swiss ones, but I have been as yet looking at the old Russian watches of the Poljot brand as they are an interesting part of history.

https://www.poljot-w...
    Some really nice ones here:
    https://www.poljot24...
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Sep 8th 2019

I love watches but I don't buy anything really expensive. I have a couple of quite ancient manual (wind-up) Omegas, lovely old things, one needs restoration but both still work. I've got a Bulova Accutron II with a UHF movement which is fun, as it has a retro look harking back to the old ones, green and sort of 60s sci-fi looking. I like my big fuck-off TW Steel as well.

If I were seriously loaded, I'd buy a ton of watches at much higher levels.
    Great thread - I love watches. I’d spend more on a watch than I would on a Car !

I’ve got 2 Omega’s - a Seamaster GMT and a Dark Side of the Moon. Also got a Hublot Big Bang (silver) but looking to swap for Nimeta’s Patek :)
    Do the old pocket watches count? I don't collect, but I've wanted to collect them. I have a deep appreciation for the craftsmanship that went into those old pocket watches. Some are beautiful pieces of art. I also love well-made grandfather clocks.
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Sep 8th 2019

Posted By: bonlives
    Posted By: FLACDCWIS checking in.
    Watch idiot savant?

LOL, yes. I’m a Panerista, aka Panerai nerd, but I love mechanical watches in general.
    • Sep 9th 2019

This is my favourite watch from my collection...

[Link to eBay item]

This was a present a few years back from my boss. I had joined a very small company which was struggling in Jan 2012. By the end of the year we had won 2 massive (very long term) contracts and the companies fortunes transformed forever. It was a tough as hell year...12 hour days, zero downtime at weekends, holidays a joke, paid late some months....so this has the very best of memories for me.

My other watches sit in a safe, except for one sports Rolex which my dad wears. My Patek is almost unworn for 12 years, but seems to have gone up in value, so I am OK with it sat there.

Problem now with these watches is that they have gone up in value in some areas it makes you a real target for muggings. And insurance is something else...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 9th 2019

The last time i wore a watch was back in 1988. That Casio was just as ugly as the cover of BUYV that i'd just bought. Good times!
    Not a collector (I do have 3 £200 watches) but i do love a watch, started buying one every year with my work bonus. Been looking at Ferrari watches this year and they're all surprisingly affordable, nice looking and reasonably reserved! I see them as just a great fashion accessory
    •  
    • Sep 9th 2019

Genuinely amazed at the replies in this thread. Pateks, Rolexs, Panerais, WIS's, Tags, Omegas, Hublots, Casios, Bulovas, Ferraris and pocket watches.... and random Russian watches for good measure. What a classy lot you are!
    •  
    • Sep 9th 2019 edited

Posted By: MeanstreakSome really nice ones here:
    https://www.poljot24...
    Really like some of those meanie. The chronos are pretty keenly priced.

Posted By: 900I have a couple of quite ancient manual (wind-up) Omegas, lovely old things, one needs restoration but both still work.
    Nice! I bought a replica Omega as a teenager in Singapore - which I could find it, was a great looking watch.

Posted By: putthefingeronyouI’ve got 2 Omega’s - a Seamaster GMT and a Dark Side of the Moon. Also got a Hublot Big Bang (silver) but looking to swap for Nimeta’s Patek :)
    Awesome. I'm eyeing up a Tudor GMT because I love the utility of them - they look the business, and would be a great travelling watch.

Posted By: Jack B. NimbleDo the old pocket watches count? I also love well-made grandfather clocks.
    Sure do count in my opinion. It was my late grandfather's pocket watch that kicked off my binge reading. I've also inherited my great grandmother's mantle clock which is a beautiful piece.

Posted By: FLACDCI’m a Panerista, aka Panerai nerd, but I love mechanical watches in general.
    Very nice. I really like the distinctive crown covers on some of their models.

Posted By: nimetaThis is my favourite watch from my collection...
    Brilliant! After I read the article on the Autavias, I got hooked on the look of panda dial chronographs. I had no idea how utterly stupid prices were for Paul Newman Daytonas.

Posted By: ThankassThat Casio was just as ugly as the cover of BUYV that i'd just bought. Good times!
    I'm dusting off my Casios this week and giving them an outing. If the cool kids can wear them, so can I!

Posted By: smithyAC/DCNot a collector (I do have 3 £200 watches) but i do love a watch. Been looking at Ferrari watches this year and they're all surprisingly affordable, nice looking and reasonably reserved!
    Cool man. It's all about just having a nice timepiece on your wrist, right?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Sep 9th 2019 edited

I'm not collector. I've own exactly two not very expensive watches . A Baume & Mercier for dress up, and a Movado for every day (which I happen to get lots of compliments on). https://www.movado.c...

I do have a watch story though. My father in law wanted to have a watch that he just purchased sent to my house first, and then I would send it to him. He wanted to do this for the tax advantage because we are in different states. So I'm thinking, okay, no big deal. I'm glad to help him out and I'm guessing it's saving him a couple hundred bucks. I receive the watch and then I ask him how he wants me to ship it. He says Federal Express, "and put $40,000 as the insured value". Say what?! $40,000 dollars?! Geez louise, no wonder this was going to be saving him money. A lot more than couple hundred. Man, the only time I can think of watches I saw like that, I was in Harrods in London where I was gawking at the prices and figured it must be oil sheiks who were in there buying those things. : )
    Also, been observing classic Chinese watches:

I like the designs, there are some drawbacks to them, as not being water resistant.
    https://www.watchuni...

Also like this brand I found out recently.
    https://www.egardwat...

Neither is very taxing on your finances.
    •  
    • Sep 16th 2019

Shitters.
    • Sep 16th 2019 edited

I like those two brands Meanstreak's mentioned there. Very appealing looking timepieces.

I have a satisfyingly chunky TW Steel Canteen, and have my eye on their Volante:

• Sep 16th 2019

My TW Steel Canteen:

My favourite current watch, the Bulova Accutron II:

• Sep 16th 2019

Another inexpensive but pleasing brand is Skagen, from Denmark, I have this one in my collection:

•  
    • Sep 16th 2019

This is probably about the only time “China” and “watches” in the same sentence is actually a good thing. Those military watches look really good.

Not sure about the Egard watches though Meanstreak. Only a couple of designs there that appeal.

That Bulova is sweet, 900. Really like the devil staff second hand.
    •  
    • Sep 16th 2019 edited

@Inferno - those watches you mentioned ain’t exactly cheap either.
    What was your father in law rocking that cost $40,000?

Still blown away that those who have responded have some good taste in timepieces.

Did anyone buy one of those Raymond Weil AC/DC watches?
    • Sep 16th 2019

Posted By: bonlivesThat Bulova is sweet, 900.

Cheers bonlives. I'd love to grab one of the original Accutrons:

•  
    • Sep 16th 2019

Spaceview at the top? Under $1000 by the looks of things.
    •  
    • Sep 16th 2019

How about those Mb&f things - totally insane.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: JW147
    • Sep 16th 2019 edited

Tissot visodate
    •  
    • Sep 16th 2019

Posted By: 900I have a satisfyingly chunky TW Steel Canteen

I'd totally forgotten about my TW! I've only worn it once in a year since I bought it. I found it very uncomfortable, what with that big canteen thing sticking in the back of my had!

•  
    • Sep 16th 2019

Posted By: JW147Tissot visodate
    Another nice looking watch!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: JW147
    • Sep 16th 2019

Posted By: JW147Tissot visodate
    Another nice looking watch!

Agree, especially the automatic one.
    •  
    • Sep 16th 2019 edited

Bonlives, in 1988, did you wear your casio digital watch underneath your sweater or over your sleeve?
    • Sep 16th 2019

Posted By: bonlivesSpaceview at the top? Under $1000 by the looks of things.

Yes I think so, though I'm no expert on these. I think I have a very old one somewhere, but it's fucked and would be a luxury refurb (financially speaking) for the nostalgic idea of fixing an ancient one.

Posted By: DustDevilI'd totally forgotten about my TW! I've only worn it once in a year since I bought it. I found it very uncomfortable, what with that big canteen thing sticking in the back of my had!

Which bit digs in? The crown? That doesn't surprise me if you wear it close to the hand (if that's the case) but I never do. It looks lovely, the colours, the match with the tan strap!
    •  
    • Sep 16th 2019

Yeah mate, that chunky crown pokes right in the back of my hand a lot.

The strap is superb though, I'm thinking of putting it on a Rotary I own that needs re-strapping...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Sep 16th 2019

Posted By: bonlives@Inferno - those watches you mentioned ain’t exactly cheap either.
    What was your father in law rocking that cost $40,000?

Rolex Sky-Dweller. Whatever that means. : )
    Posted By: bonlivesThis is probably about the only time “China” and “watches” in the same sentence is actually a good thing. Those military watches look really good.

Not sure about the Egard watches though Meanstreak. Only a couple of designs there that appeal.

That Bulova is sweet, 900. Really like the devil staff second hand.

The Egard watch that first caught my eye was the one that is inspired by design made in the 1950s. Probably not for everyone though:

https://www.egardwat...
    Tag personally (as budget permits they are solid, 'timeless' and quality).

Quick Q - this may be sacrilege to timepiece aficionados but thoughts on the iwatch?
    •  
    • Sep 16th 2019

BURN IT WITH FIRE
    ^righto, gotcha
    •  
    • Sep 16th 2019

Happy to help.
    •  
    • Sep 17th 2019

Posted By: ThankassBonlives, in 1988, did you wear your casio digital watch underneath your sweater or over your sleeve?
    A gentleman never reveals such information. But since you asked, it depended on what I put on first :)
    •  
    • Sep 17th 2019

iWatches, regardless of who makes them, will never be anything more than disposable tech to me. I’m sure some folk here own them, but I simply cannot bring myself to drop hundreds of bucks on something that will be obsolete and unsupported in a couple of years and will simply join old mobile phones in drawers. Plus I don’t want to be constantly reading txts and emails - I just want to know the time periodically.

Mechanical watches are engineering marvels. I think it’s the analog aspect and the nostalgic vintage/era of some of these watches (digital Casios for example), and the obvious connection to timing and rythym, that is the reason behind why so many here are owners of such impressive timepieces. There’s clearly parallels with AC/DC and much of the iconography associated with the band.
    •  
    • Sep 17th 2019

Posted By: ThankassBonlives, in 1988, did you wear your casio digital watch underneath your sweater or over your sleeve?
    A gentleman never reveals such information. But since you asked, it depended on what I put on first :)
    No more questions, Your Honour ;)
    • Sep 17th 2019

Anyone got one of these little beauties?...(limited to 3000)

[Link to eBay item]

https://www.raymond-...
    •  
    • Sep 18th 2019

Posted By: nimetaAnyone got one of these little beauties?...(limited to 3000)

[Link to eBay item]

https://www.raymond-...
    I can’t do it nimeta. Can’t bring myself to buy one because I know I’d never wear it.

It’s an expensive version of this: [Link to eBay item]
    •  
    • Sep 18th 2019

... the fuck is this?!

[Link to eBay item]