To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

• AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Sep 6th 2019

I’ve been following the news about the devastation caused by Hurricane Dorian and my thoughts go out to all affected by it.
    I couldn’t help thinking about Compass Point Studios, which gave us two superb AC/DC albums. I see that Compass Point is no longer trading as a going concern but does anyone know if it’s still there? Any photos of the studio where AC/DC recorded knocking bout?
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Sep 6th 2019

CP is on Nassau, yes? Well south of the eye...should be fine.
    Said in this video a few years ago that the studio is shut. Doesn't look good. In a dilapidated condition.
    • AC/DC rock music: BrennaB
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

There is a cafe and a resort on the property now. The studio closed quite a few years ago. I can’t believe all that equipment is still there. Talk about a gold mine for collectors.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 7th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakSaid in this video a few years ago that the studio is shut. Doesn't look good. In a dilapidated condition.
    Great footage though!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grocks
    • Sep 7th 2019 edited

Just had a brief conversation with Terry Manning two weeks ago and he stated "Over forever in Nassau, never to return, and unfortunately there's nothing to see." That is really sad and yes, that the desk and the multitrack recording machine is still there looks like they actually flew from it in a hurry and let everything go...Jesus get that pult out of there, refurbish it and get ready to rock!
    That's brilliant. History right there
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Sep 7th 2019 edited

Posted By: GrocksJesus get that pult out of there, refurbish it and get ready to rock!

Exactly my thoughts! Dave Grohl got his hands on the Neve console (with which they recorded Nevermind) when the Sound city studios closed.

One of the highest selling albums of all time was recorded on this MCI console and now it's dusted to death!? C'mon!
    This article has probably been posted before, but it's very good:

https://www.soundons...
    • Sep 8th 2019

Hey folks, thanks for the video and Tony Platt links. It’s tragic that Compass Point is gathering dust. How about the House Band organising a live gig from there on 25th July next year and performing the whole of Back In Black?
    • AC/DC rock music: Strat54
    • Sep 8th 2019

Great Tony Platt article and piece on compass point. I have imagined what that place looked like for the last thirty years. Was great to see.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: drillbag
    • Sep 8th 2019

i wonder if the people who are renting the place would let you set up the studio again, they seemed ok with people rehearsing there
    Posted By: GoulashHow about the House Band organising a live gig from there on 25th July next year and performing the whole of Back In Black?

Are you assuming we have a budget for the kind of stuff? Are you assuming we have a budget... at all? lmao! That'd be crazy though!
    • AC/DC rock music: shocker
    • Sep 9th 2019

The studio was shut down many years ago.
    • Sep 9th 2019

Posted By: matirocker
    Posted By: GoulashHow about the House Band organising a live gig from there on 25th July next year and performing the whole of Back In Black?

Are you assuming we have a budget for the kind of stuff? Are you assuming we have a budget... at all? lmao! That'd be crazy though!

Get a crowdfunding page set up and I’ll donate haha!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • Sep 9th 2019

That's awesome. Pretty cool to see that most of the equipment is still there, too. Someone with deep pockets needs to refurbish it.
    terrible vid, but some quick glimpses of the exterior here

Any photos of the band there in 1980?
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Sep 12th 2019

Posted By: magpies1990_77Any photos of the band there in 1980?

The only one I've ever seen is this one:

•  
    • Sep 12th 2019 edited

Where were those black and white pictures taken with Brian in his '22 shirt? E-Zee Hire Studios?

• Sep 12th 2019

Posted By: ThankassWhere were those black and white pictures taken with Brian in his '22 shirt? E-Zee Hire Studios?

Yes, I've got to pull out Robert Ellis' book tonight because he even mentions the exact date he made these pics.
    •  
    • Sep 12th 2019

Nice to know the date, so if you would ;)
    • Sep 12th 2019

Posted By: ThankassNice to know the date, so if you would ;)

April 3, 1980 :-)
    •  
    • Sep 12th 2019

Brian looks at that paper like he cannot read the handwriting.. !
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Sep 12th 2019

Posted By: ThankassBrian looks at that paper like he cannot read the handwriting.. !

This will probably be posted on Jesse Fink's FB page in due course. They're convinced he's reading from "Bon's notebook" in that photo...
    Posted By: ThankassBrian looks at that paper like he cannot read the handwriting.. !

I always thought Bon's handwriting was legible...

[JOKE]
    •  
    • Sep 12th 2019

I wonder what song they are doing. Could it be something from LTBR or HTH so Brian could learn the words?
    On the other hand; they were rehearsing BIB songs at Ezee studio's.
    But i wonder on 3 april (2 days after Brian was hired) what kind of lyrics were on that sheet of paper.
    • Sep 12th 2019 edited

Posted By: ThankassI wonder what song they are doing. Could it be something from LTBR or HTH so Brian could learn the words?
    On the other hand; they were rehearsing BIB songs at Ezee studio's.
    But i wonder on 3 april (2 days after Brian was hired) what kind of lyrics were on that sheet of paper.

There's atleast one other pic from that day that shows Brian sitting on the drum riser and writing down stuff on that piece of paper (or another one), so I guess they were rehearsing and writing new songs already. And Brian wasn't hired two days before but officially announced. So I guess they already had quite a few days writing and rehearsing together under their belt at that stage. They were due to go into the studio in a matter of a few weeks so it would be strange if their focus was on rehearsing old stuff instead of writing and getting prepared for the recording of BIB. I would think it is pretty safe to say that on that piece of paper were lyrics Brian had written.
    •  
    • Sep 12th 2019

Yeah, i think Brian was hired on Grand National day; 29 march.
    They stayed only for one week in Ezee for i've read in stead of three weeks.

Could also have been scribbles by Malcolm and Angus that he tried to arrange a melody for
    Interesting discussion. Maybe R. Ellis knows what they rehearsed that day.
    Interesting stuff. 1980 is by far the one year in ACDC’s life that I’d want a day by day chronology of

And is Mal playing drums in that photo? It’s hard to tell, but it definitely doesn’t look like Rudd to me
    For certain, it's the best right hand in rock n' roll who plays the drums.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 7seven
    • Sep 12th 2019 edited

Yes it's Mal on drums, cause Phil was late (i guess some things never change, haha)

And according to what they've rehearsed, Robert writes in his book that he don't know what it was, but no Bon stuff, something new...

Go get the book, it's fantastic, so is "Highway".
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Sep 12th 2019

Posted By: 7sevenYes it's Mal on drums, cause Phil was late (i guess some things never change, haha)

And according to what they've rehearsed, Robert writes in his book that he don't know what it was, but no Bon stuff, something new...

Go get the book, it's fantastic, so is "Highway".

As I recall in the interview he did with Jem he said that when he first heard BIB he didn't recognise anything from what he'd heard during rehearsals.
    • AC/DC rock music: BrennaB
    • Sep 14th 2019

Posted By: Grim177

This will probably be posted on Jesse Fink's FB page in due course. They're convinced he's reading from "Bon's notebook" in that photo...

Next article topic for Alt Nation / Brett Buttmunch