To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

•  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Sep 7th 2019

He dared to suggest there might be good stuff after BIB...Blasphemy, I say!;)
    The OP’s top 5 albums are:

1. Powerage
    2. Back In Black
    3. Flick
    4. Dirty Deeds
    5. FTATR

So, I guess I’m slightly Brian slanted but it doesn’t mean I don’t fucking love the Bon stuff. I just don’t need to validate that by dissing the Brian era.
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostThe OP’s top 5 albums are:

1. Powerage
    2. Back In Black
    3. Flick
    4. Dirty Deeds
    5. FTATR

So, I guess I’m slightly Brian slanted but it doesn’t mean I don’t fucking love the Bon stuff. I just don’t need to validate that by dissing the Brian era.
    ^^^^^

There are very few sole Brianists and very few sole Bonists (or whatever you wanna call them) on here, just ACDCists
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostThe OP’s top 5 albums are:

1. Powerage
    2. Back In Black
    3. Flick
    4. Dirty Deeds
    5. FTATR

^^^^^

There are very few sole Brianists and very few sole Bonists (or whatever you wanna call them) on here, just ACDCists

What about AXLholes?

Kidding
    Let There Be Rock/Powerage was their peak, label me what the fuck ever you want to, even Brian said in an interview with Eddie Trunk that Powerage probably was their best.
    Posted By: Badlands66Let There Be Rock/Powerage was their peak, label me what the fuck ever you want to, even Brian said in an interview with Eddie Trunk that Powerage probably was their best.

Well, Powerage IS my fave and the band has had a few peaks in my book.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Sep 7th 2019

Posted By: Badlands66even Brian said in an interview with Eddie Trunk that Powerage probably was their best

He said it was Bon's best, not AC/DC's best (which is Back In Black by just about any metric) but probably like a bunch of us, he was thinking of his favorite Bon album.

"Also, in 'The Throwown' segment, Johnson was asked which of the Bon Scott-era AC/DC albums is the best, with Johnson choosing 'Powerage,' since "it was raw AC/DC."

https://loudwire.com...
    I find it incredibly amusing the bending over backwards some will do to insist they are not "hipsters" while fitting the supposed definition when it comes to AC/DC, simply because they are so terrified of the label "hipster", which is almost entirely invented from whole cloth and entirely meaningless in reality. It literally only exists as a punching bag anymore and apparently some ppl still don't realize how insecure you look by punching it.
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Sep 8th 2019

With bib they had something to prove to themselves and the world that they could rise from the ashes. But everyone has opinions as to what direction they were going before and after it. Granted if we didn't have differing opinons we wouldn't have much to discuss except for the new album. ;) I hear great stuff on either side of bib. I can rock out to every album they made. If I a of their albums doesn't move you then there's a problem.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Sep 8th 2019

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotI find it incredibly amusing the bending over backwards some will do to insist they are not "hipsters" while fitting the supposed definition when it comes to AC/DC,

What is the supposed definition of hipster when it comes to AC/DC in your mind then? Just asking so I know how far I need to bend.
    •  
    • Sep 8th 2019 edited

I'm just as terrified of being called a hipster as I am of being called a Finkster XD
    What horrible labels they are!;)

BTW how could anybody "perfectly" fit" a "definition" which is "entirely meaningless" ...isn't that a bit of a paradox LOL
    Being called a Bon groupie, despite being a male, on the other hand, is a good thing?
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Sep 8th 2019

Posted By: DrBelfordI'm just as terrified of being called a hipster as I am of being called a Finkster XD

BTW how could anybody "perfectly" fit" a "definition" which is "entirely meaningless" ...isn't that a bit of a paradox LOL

:-D
    What do two hipsters say to each other when they walk in in a bar?

“Fuck this place! It’s full of hipsters”
    How did this hipster shit come about, and how does it relate to ACDC?

How does it even relate to Jesse Fink?
    • AC/DC rock music: Nachos73
    • Sep 8th 2019

Now I think this thread is sliding down a cliff.
    Running right off the track
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Sep 8th 2019 edited

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinHow did this hipster shit come about, and how does it relate to ACDC?

Don't take this to seriously. It's just a bit of a joke. What it all has to do Fink? He is the leader of the Bon groupies: those who think Bon has written all the lyrics up to atleast 1983, those who think Brian can't sing, those who dismiss almost anything Brian has done, ecc.
    My brother likes Bon albums, but cannot get into Brian albums because of the voice.

I'm with Goulash. I also was a huge Metallica fan that did not like the Black album at all. Well, Enter Sandman was cool when it came out, but after that, I was hugely disappointed. Enter Sandman, like Thunderstruck was seriously overplayed.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: 42_39_56
    • Sep 8th 2019

Posted By: Rocco
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinHow did this hipster shit come about, and how does it relate to ACDC?

Don't take this to seriously. It's just a bit of a joke. What it all has to do Fink? He is the leader of the Bon groupies: those who think Bon has written all the lyrics up to atleast 1983, those who think Brian can't sing, those who dismiss almost anything Brian has done, ecc.

The blog he has on his website is about the worst stuff I’ve ever read. Super disappointing that he makes $$ doing that crap and slagging off half the band while he’s at it. The contempt he has for Ang (for not giving Bon the credit he deserved) and Brian (for not being Bon) is slightly disturbing.
    Posted By: 42_39_56

The blog he has on his website is about the worst stuff I’ve ever read. Super disappointing that he makes $$ doing that crap and slagging off half the band while he’s at it. The contempt he has for Ang (for not giving Bon the credit he deserved) and Brian (for not being Bon) is slightly disturbing.
    Got a link, or the name of his blog? I genuinely want to read this crap...
    I don’t get this pissed off attitude as if the band fired Bon and then never uttered his name ever again. They’ve been playing his songs and introducing new fans to Bon pretty relentlessly for 4 decades now. Would Fink and his ilk he happier if the band crashed and burned after Bon passed away and were living in abject poverty? Would they be happier stumbling across AC/DC all on their own in thrift store record bins? Probably.
    Posted By: Jet1984
    Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotI find it incredibly amusing the bending over backwards some will do to insist they are not "hipsters" while fitting the supposed definition when it comes to AC/DC,

What is the supposed definition of hipster when it comes to AC/DC in your mind then? Just asking so I know how far I need to bend.

Insisting that you are the "true fan" because XYZ (in this case, appreciating material post-BIB).

Posted By: DrBelfordI'm just as terrified of being called a hipster as I am of being called a Finkster XD

You failed to quote the qualifier "supposed" before the word "definition". Why do you feel the need to be deceitful and build a strawman?

While the word may have originated with a vague meaning, it's been overused to refer to anyone the user doesn't like to the point of becoming meaningless. It was also never a term anyone actually defined their self with. It was only ever used as a pejorative to generalize a vaguely defined type of young, urban and generally liberal men who supposedly insist they are the first to discover something and the only true fans. All it says these days is that the person using it is insecure about their self and needs an easy punching bag to feel better. And not only that, punching it will attract other people who agree with them to deride the "hipsters".
    •  
    • Sep 9th 2019 edited

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotYou failed to quote the qualifier "supposed" before the word "definition". Why do you feel the need to be deceitful and build a strawman?

I see why you feel this way, but still I disagree:
    Because in the context that you wrote the qualifier, the qualifier becomes meaningless itself, that's why.
    A "supposed definition" can still not be entirely meaningless, because then it simply wouldn't be a definition of any kind. It might be a "wrong" definition, yes, but it can't be void of any meaning (by definition;)

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    While the word may have originated with a vague meaning, it's been overused to refer to anyone the user doesn't like to the point of becoming meaningless. It was also never a term anyone actually defined their self with. It was only ever used as a pejorative to generalize a vaguely defined type of young, urban and generally liberal men who supposedly insist they are the first to discover something and the only true fans. All it says these days is that the person using it is insecure about their self and needs an easy punching bag to feel better. And not only that, punching it will attract other people who agree with them to deride the "hipsters".

The joke here is, I actually agree with you on that. I don't know where the confusion comes from, but I didn't introduce the word "hipster"
    as a derogatory term in this discussion.
    People, like me, who think Powerage might be the best album were derided as "hipster" in this thread (used as punching bag, as you say;). That's all.

Also, while you're right about the common use of the term "hipster" today, you're wrong about its origins though. Hipster culture was a real thing
    until it entered "mainstream" culture to such a degree that it became void of any meaning. And that's where it stands today.
    Much like "counter culture" turns into a paradox, when it pervades all culture. Hence the second part of your statement is quite accurate.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 9th 2019

MLP made a one dimensional hipster joke just for some harmless fun. No need for analysing the shit out of it
    •  
    • Sep 9th 2019 edited

Posted By: ThankassMLP made a one dimensional hipster joke just for some harmless fun. No need for analysing the shit out of it

Well, you're right of course. I'm just "analysing back" (just for harmless fun)XD
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 9th 2019

Posted By: DrBelford
    Posted By: ThankassMLP made a one dimensional hipster joke just for some harmless fun. No need for analysing the shit out of it

Well, you're right of course. I'm just "analysing back", you see XD
    You mean, you are bending over backwards ;)
    •  
    • Sep 9th 2019 edited

If backwards meaning "right direction", then yes, of course XD

Also, I'm really bored:) When is there finally some real news?! *sigh
    •  
    • Sep 9th 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Posted By: 42_39_56

Got a link, or the name of his blog? I genuinely want to read this crap...

Well, it used to be bonthelasthighway.com but it looks like he’s let the domain expire. Hahahaha.

One of the particularly stupid blog posts he had was basically a couple of negative reviews from music reviewers of Flick of the Switch followed by his own reasons why it’s so bad (because of Brian)
    It’s not exactly a secret that Flick wasn’t praised upon release, in fact a lot of people did hate it, but the particular reviews he posted focused on Brian only. It’s good for a laugh anyway! LMAO!!!

“By the 1990s, the gloves were off for Johnson. Bon had never seemed better. Mike Floyd in the St Louis Post-Dispatch had clearly had enough: ‘How much longer can the world endure the gnarl of vocalist Brian Johnson, who’s never matched up to the late Bon Scott (the guy he replaced in 1980) and who for about 10 erosive years has sounded more and more like an angry squirrel with nut shells stuck in his throat?’
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Sep 9th 2019

Oh dear.
    •  
    • Sep 9th 2019

I think “angry squirrel with nut shells stuck in his throat” is the ONLY way I’m ever describing Brian’s voice from now on.
    •  
    • Sep 9th 2019

Yes it is very good. Something I see in a positive way tbh.

However, even with his positiveness in mind, I shall continue to describe Jesse Fink as a CUNT.
    •  
    • Sep 9th 2019 edited

Garcon! More squirrel please!

No one is beyond criticism if we choose to do it.

Bon sounded like the air being let out of a tire at times and Axl sounds like someone backing their car over a rooster.

The squirrel comparison is fair enough.

Squirrelballed
    • AC/DC rock music: MGP
    • Sep 9th 2019

Not quite sure why Jesse Finks books cop a hammering on this forum. I think they are both excellent. Intelligent speculation and clever guesswork based on the timelines is a legitimate tool in writing history.
    Posted By: MGPNot quite sure why Jesse Finks books cop a hammering on this forum. I think they are both excellent. Intelligent speculation and clever guesswork based on the timelines is a legitimate tool in writing history.

Blatantly accusing people of lying goes beyond clever guesswork. And it also goes beyond guesswork when one will not accept any possible alternative other than their own personal hypothesis. There are countless books on Jack The Ripper and the JFK assassination that Fink can be lumped in with.
    House is on fire is brilliant live. When the so called filler was still top notch. They gotta release that gig in full as they were still top of their game. The FOTS tour def changed Brian’s voice though. He still sounded really powerful there...
    Posted By: MGPNot quite sure why Jesse Finks books cop a hammering on this forum. I think they are both excellent. Intelligent speculation and clever guesswork based on the timelines is a legitimate tool in writing history.
    He's a blowhard with an axe to grind as the Young's did not entertain him and the lack of objectivity shines through his work.
    •  
    • Sep 10th 2019

He's a CUNT, who has twice tried to cash-in on the death of Bon.
    Posted By: DrBelfordPosted By: DoinNothingMeansALot

You don't happen to write opinion pieces in the Guardian by any chance?
    Posted By: MGP speculation and guesswork

The answer to why he gets hammered is in the 2 words above
    I didn't know hipsters were so sensitive. :)
    •  
    • Sep 10th 2019 edited

First instance here at 3:18 mark:

The term hipster is pretty meaningless these days. At least here in LA. I’d love to have some actual hipsters nearby but no actual ones can afford the insane rents. They’ve been priced out of all the cool areas that are marketed towards them, so now it’s just monied normo-sters who have co-opted their style.
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPost

Bon sounded like the air being let out of a tire at times

Posted By: mutt_langes_permI didn't know hipsters were so sensitive. :)

Way to prove my point about it being a meaningless insult...
    Speaking as a non-hipster, I think HTH is way too commercial sounding.
    V&Y all the way.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Spellbound
    • 7 days ago edited

Looking past the train wreck above and replying to the OP, I’ll go out for a smoke and go on about my day. Assuming I talk to anyone who actually cares enough about the band to have that opinion. Most people I talk either don’t like them, or like Brian’s stuff as much as bon’s.