To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

When the inevitable happens and someone in a conversation or on a message board says something to the effect of “AC/DC went straight downhill after Back In Black?”

I usually just ignore such statements these days, but it does get frustrating as it seems like you can’t even mention AC/DC without someone instantly parroting the above statement. Extra frustrating because in general such people don’t seem to know anything at all about post BIB AC/DC. I’ll mention Flick and they’ll say it’s a terrible album yet can’t name a single song off it, etc etc.

Only consolation is that this seems to represent a very small segment of rock fans, but still ...

Safest place on earth to talk about this is here, so what do you guys all say to either open up a discussion or just avoid the issue?
    If I were to discuss it with someone, I'd just want to know what it is they don't like about albums like FTATR and Flick. Perhaps it could be that the person hasn't given the music a good chance or a flat out disregard of the stuff they've heard from critics "isn't as good".

It could also have something to do with Brian haters that will still recognize the brilliant songwriting on BIB, but not the singing, and then they dislike everything afterwards. Who fucking knows.

I'm not saying that a person isn't allowed to dislike the post BIB stuff, but a statement such as the "downhill" one you mentioned just seems ignorant to me.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinIf I were to discuss it with someone, I'd just want to know what it is they don't like about albums like FTATR and Flick. Perhaps it could be that the person hasn't given the music a good chance or a flat out disregard of the stuff they've heard from critics "isn't as good".

It could also have something to do with Brian haters that will still recognize the brilliant songwriting on BIB, but not the singing, and then they dislike everything afterwards. Who fucking knows.

I'm not saying that a person isn't allowed to dislike the post BIB stuff, but a statement such as the "downhill" one you mentioned just seems ignorant to me.

Exactly. When it seems like an educated opinion, it’s easy to respect, but too often if comes off as a knee-jerk insta response that hasn’t been thought out or arrived at. There are also fans who will always swear allegiance to the early stuff or the original lineup etc etc or else they might not be seen as “real” fans or whatever.

Granted, some of these folks don’t really seem to know the Bon stuff all that well either .... Doesn’t Jesse Fink like, ONLY, like Powerage? Lol
    I just ignore them. It's their loss. They're the ones who are missing out on a few decades of good music, not me. There seems to be comments like this made about most bands who reach a peak. People are quick to dismiss everything after it as shit, and it seems like they are not even familiar with the music a lot of the time.
    There are people like this with every band. They only care about the hits and/or the "classic era" as someone else has defined for them. They either don't care to develop their own opinions or don't appreciate the band enough to see the redeeming value in later material. All that tells me is that I shouldn't give their opinions any weight.
    Lets look at some facts and my opinion....
    The last concert the band played they played 25 songs i believe 5 of the songs came from 1981 onwards the other 20 songs came from 1975-1980
    In my opinion every album AC/DC released up to BIB is superior to every album after BIB.
    Lets take age into it to see if that helps....
    I was 17 years of age when AC/DC released FOTW and did i dig that album at the time. In hindsight now im in my 50s it has a few fillers on the album like every album with the exception oF FOTS and possibly FTATR Since 1981.
    In my opinion musically AC/DC Have gone downhill when you take into account the albums that were released between 1975-1980.
    Crash helmet on!
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostI’ll mention Flick and they’ll say it’s a terrible album yet can’t name a single song off it, etc etc.

This sort of sums it up.

Anyway music is subjective, we all have different opinions and interests. I respect what Davidceltic say's and have friends who think the same but I happen to enjoy later material albeit less consistent as their heyday.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 6th 2019

They went downhill after BIB, for sure. But not straight.
    More following a natural life cycle with all the reasons that come with it.
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Sep 6th 2019

I used to get defensive but now I don’t.
    I was a big Metallica fan but can’t stand the Black Album. I accept that people love it but nothing after Master Of Puppets really grabs me and so if people don’t “get” anything post-BIB then who am I to argue? As long as I get pleasure then it’s their loss.
    Just seek them out and go for their throat.
    I don't really care - its hardly a big deal tbh
    They’re correct. Everything after BIB is a slow downward curve until 85, where the curve dives off a cliff.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Sep 6th 2019

There is a big difference between saying there was a drop off after BIB and saying everything after BIB is shit. The former I subscribe to, the latter I do not.
    Posted By: ThankassThey went downhill after BIB, for sure. But not straight.
    More following a natural life cycle with all the reasons that come with it.

This is pretty much spot on! ^^^
    I don’t agree, but at least you all know what you’re talking about.
    Posted By: ThankassThey went downhill after BIB, for sure. But not straight.

This. Back In Black was their overall creative peak. While there was a ton of good stuff which came after, no album from '81 onward ever came close to surpassing it, or even matching it. So yes, techically speaking, AC/DC starting slowly sliding down the hill after BIB.
    But where do you go after your absolute peak? Unless you start experimenting madly. There are tons of people who think U2 dropped off the cliff after Joshua Tree because Actung Baby was so radically different, but then they got a lot of new fans with that whole second era. Metallica dropped off after Black Album (which some hardcore fans consider the start of the drop off), some folks think Led Zeppelin dried up after the fourth album. I could go on and in.

For the casuals/general public: AC/DC have two albums and a single. HTH, BIB, and Thunderstruck. I guess the rest is gravy.
    •  
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

It's quite simple. I don't care what those people think and I would encourage you to adopt the same attitude. Life will be a lot easier once you do.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

One of my very best friends says that. He's got good taste in music and I know he's right, so it's hard to argue. He loves early AC/DC, but just not a diehard.

It's really the same for anyone who isn't a diehard fan of a band. I recognize how good the Rolling Stones are, but don't think much of anything past Tattoo You. I love Rush, but things definitely started downhill at Signals. Etc, etc, etc.
    For hipsters, AC/DC's peak was Powerage because HTH was too commercial sounding.
    ^Inferno

Not familiar with Rush but if you’ve never tried late period Stones Voodoo Lounge and an edited down 10 track Bigger Bang (sort of like what you need to do with BI) are definitely worth your time and far superior to Steel Wheels and Bridges.
    •  
    • Sep 6th 2019

Posted By: InfernoOne of my very best friends says that. He's got good taste in music and I know he's right, so it's hard to argue. He loves early AC/DC, but just not a diehard.

It's really the same for anyone who isn't a diehard fan of a band. I recognize how good the Rolling Stones are, but don't think much of anything past Tattoo You. I love Rush, but things definitely started downhill at Signals. Etc, etc, etc.

The Stones are up there with AC/DC for me but I have little interest in them pre 1968 beyond the singles and patchy interest post 1982. I love Aerosmith but strictly 1973-1985 Aerosmith, before John Kalodner got to them. The Faces only made four albums, two of which I love and the other two I'm fairly indifferent to.

I don't believe you have to blindly worship everything a band does in order to be a diehard fan. If that is the criteria, then I am not a diehard fan of any band.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 6th 2019

Posted By: mutt_langes_permFor hipsters, AC/DC's peak was Powerage because HTH was too commercial sounding.
    For hipsters, AC/DC's peak was Coachella 2015.
    Posted By: Grim177
    Posted By: InfernoOne of my very best friends says that. He's got good taste in music and I know he's right, so it's hard to argue. He loves early AC/DC, but just not a diehard.

The Stones are up there with AC/DC for me but I have little interest in them pre 1968 beyond the singles and patchy interest post 1982. I love Aerosmith but strictly 1973-1985 Aerosmith, before John Kalodner got to them. The Faces only made four albums, two of which I love and the other two I'm fairly indifferent to.

I don't believe you have to blindly worship everything a band does in order to be a diehard fan. If that is the criteria, then I am not a diehard fan of any band.

Aftermath is a blinding album - both of them :)
    Posted By: mutt_langes_permFor hipsters, AC/DC's peak was Powerage because HTH was too commercial sounding.

Powerage, the hipster’s AC/DC album....I recoiled when I read those words mlp but if the cap fits...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: Thankass
    For hipsters, AC/DC's peak was Coachella 2015.

^Yep. Coachella might be the peak of ACDC for hipsters, Powerage is the peak of AC/DC for *music lovers*:)

There's no problem with HTH or BIB being a little more commercial. They're masterpieces. But Powerage simply takes the crown, it's the true "lightning in a bottle":)

Hipsters jumping bandwagons shouldn't be granted to ruin it for the rest;)
    •  
    • Sep 6th 2019

Hipsters wouldn't know what the fuck Powerage is and AC/DC hipsters, well that's a bit of an oxymoron isn't it ;)
    •  
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: Grim177AC/DC hipsters, well that's a bit of an oxymoron isn't it ;)

Exactly. :)

Also I doubt that anyone would call Keith Richards a "hipster" ;)
    • AC/DC rock music: Sal7_one
    • Sep 6th 2019

I agree with most people here, ignore them lol. everyone is allowed to dislike whatever album they want but they're the ones missing out on some legendary tones.
    • AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Sep 6th 2019

The music doesn't get better after BiB, but FTATR and Flick certainly hold up. No, they never topped BiB, but like I've said, that album isn't just their greatest, but arguably THE greatest rock album released by ANY artist. Period. So where do you go from there, and WTH do folks expect?
    •  
    • Sep 6th 2019

^Yes. People should rather appreciate the bonus or "encore" they got... I mean, there aren't too many bands that stayed around for 40+ years and still put out something worth listening to.
    AC/DC are one of the best live acts in the universe and have been long since BIB was released. There is some more to a great rock band than releasing excellent albums.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: Grim177I don't believe you have to blindly worship everything a band does in order to be a diehard fan. If that is the criteria, then I am not a diehard fan of any band.

If you are on a band's internet fan forum daily, and discussing the possibility of new music from them for the last year, then you are a diehard. How are things going on the Aerosmith forum? : )
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostWhen the inevitable happens and someone in a conversation or on a message board says something to the effect of “AC/DC went straight downhill after Back In Black?”

TBH I wish I could have those kinda conversations once in a while. People around here listen to radio stations that play the top 10 up and down all the time. They'd probably think Back in Black is a documentary about Kanye West. Shoot me now...
    •  
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: Jet1984They'd probably think Back in Black is a documentary about Kanye West.

Wow. No wonder you joined an AC/DC forum then XD

BTW Who's Kanye West? ;)
    Not knowing a particular band’s “later” material and not caring enough about it to check it out is perfectly fine.

Denouncing it without even hearing it is where the problems begin.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rammy
    • Sep 6th 2019

Name me an album by ACDC that is Better than back in black after back in black?
    Posted By: RammyName me an album by ACDC that is Better than back in black after back in black?

Digging the post BIB stuff but admitting it’s not as good as BIB is not the problem. It’s the “Everything after BIB is terrible and BIB is only good because Bon wrote it” stuff that gets irritating to no end.

That said, sometimes I get tired of BIB and the bombastic evilness of FTATR or the ass kicking scrappiness of Flick just hit the spot. It’s not always down to what’s objectively “better” but rather what rocks you at the moment.
    • AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: RammyName me an album by ACDC that is Better than back in black after back in black?

To reiterate my earlier post a bit, name me an album by any band ever that's better than BiB. They simply outdid themselves and everyone else with it. Enough can't be said. What hasnt been said?
    If not for it's greatness alone, I think post BiB material, not having to be compared to BiB, would all be considered much stronger by the casuals.
    Yeah, it's one of the top albums of all time. Of course everything after it wouldn't match up to an outsider. Fans know that even on low points there are still one or two good tunes to tease out. Saying "garbage" though or any variation thereof is obviously ignorant.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Sep 7th 2019

Name me an album by AC/DC that is better than Back In Black before Back In Black.
    • Sep 7th 2019 edited

It's usually Bon groupies that think Powerage was their peak. They're also called Finksters for obvious reasons.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Sep 7th 2019

It's technically true that AC/DC went downhill after Back in Black. However, people too often leave out that BiB was Everest, and there was a Lhotse or two in there afterward.
    Posted By: Rocco

It's usually Bon groupies that think Powerage was their peak. They're also called Finksters for obvious reasons.

By Bon groupies it sounds like you are meaning, also male Bon fans. Is my interpretation accurate?
    • Sep 7th 2019

Posted By: Meanstreak
    Posted By: Rocco

By Bon groupies it sounds like you are meaning, also male Bon fans. Is my interpretation accurate?

It's actually mainly males.
    •  
    • Sep 7th 2019

Posted By: BrianyBiB was Everest

I like that metaphor ;)
    •  
    • Sep 7th 2019 edited

Posted By: RoccoIt's usually Bon groupies that think Powerage was their peak. They're also called Finksters for obvious reasons.

I'm certainly not a Finkster. Sorry. No Finkster, no Hipster, no whatever else:) Maybe Bonster ... and also Brianster XD
    A Bon Vivant and a Brianista!
    Yet it’s defensive Brian fans who tend to start these pointless threads so they can then slag off AC/DC fans who prefer pre BIB albums to post. And then don’t realise how hypocritical they are!
    Posted By: WarMachine73Yet it’s defensive Brian fans who tend to start these pointless threads so they can then slag off AC/DC fans who prefer pre BIB albums to post. And then don’t realise how hypocritical they are!
    When did OP slag on the Bon albums?