To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

Hi,
    My favorite artist, just after AC/DC, is Buddy GUY !

My first gig ever was AC/DC in 1996, I was 14. I loved AC/DC since few years, but after the LIVE show, I was definitely a fan ! And I saw the band more than 50 times since.

But in 1998 I saw Buddy GUY, I was 16. In 1997 BB King. But for me there was a real link between Buddy and AC/DC, same spirit, same joy to play raw music. And Buddy was the roots of my favorite band ;)

And in 2001 in Germany, Malcolm and Angus contacted Buddy GUY to play before them ( it was not an idea from the promoter, but from the Young !!! )
    I was so exited to see my favorites musicians on the same day, on the same stage !!! Sadly Buddy was not accepted from the crowd, they threw beers on him, insults etc etc, so Buddy played just 3 songs, and said " fuck off " to a mic of his guitarist, and leave the stage...

Well, Buddy plays still today, non stop with 3 or 4 shows by week, and I see him every-time when he comes in Europe. He plays without set list, it's really old school, he loves to play Live, it's always fabulous ;)

Here's some pictures of the last shows I've been :
    ( What is really good with him, at the end of the show on stage, he took time to sign for some fans, give some picks etc etc )

You ROCK Buddy !
    Posted By: vincent1982Hi,
    My favorite artist, just after AC/DC, is Buddy GUY !

My first gig ever was AC/DC in 1996, I was 14. I loved AC/DC since few years, but after the LIVE show, I was definitely a fan ! And I saw the band more than 50 times since.

But in 1998 I saw Buddy GUY, I was 16. In 1997 BB King. But for me there was a real link between Buddy and AC/DC, same spirit, same joy to play raw music. And Buddy was the roots of my favorite band ;)

And in 2001 in Germany, Malcolm and Angus contacted Buddy GUY to play before them ( it was not an idea from the promoter, but from the Young !!! )
    I was so exited to see my favorites musicians on the same day, on the same stage !!! Sadly Buddy was not accepted from the crowd, they threw beers on him, insults etc etc, so Buddy played just 3 songs, and said " fuck off " to a mic of his guitarist, and leave the stage...

Well, Buddy plays still today, non stop with 3 or 4 shows by week, and I see him every-time when he comes in Europe. He plays without set list, it's really old school, he loves to play Live, it's always fabulous ;)

Here's some pictures of the last shows I've been :
    ( What is really good with him, at the end of the show on stage, he took time to sign for some fans, give some picks etc etc )

You ROCK Buddy !
    If so called AC/DC fans humiliated Buddy Guy, it's a fucking shame.
    • AC/DC rock music: acdc1988
    • Sep 5th 2019

Posted By: MeanstreakIf so called AC/DC fans humiliated Buddy Guy, it's a fucking shame.

That's indeed a shame. Same thing happened to King's X in 1991 (obviously especially in Germany), which was a shame, too.
    I witnessed that in Nuremberg, and i was so impressed, that i bought their new album. Probably i was the only one...
    Posted By: MeanstreakIf so called AC/DC fans humiliated Buddy Guy, it's a fucking shame.

Maybe Megadeth's fans, or Die Toten Hosen's fans. Because the Event Line up was like that :

AC/DC
    Buddy Guy
    Die Toten Hosen
    Megadeth

So Buddy GUY was just before AC/DC, the 2 others bands before Buddy... maybe they didn't accept that ? Don't know... but maybe jealous...

And there is also another thing... NO bands was allowed to use the catwalk, really NO bands ! Even in others shows. But Buddy GUY yes, he was the exception.
    All AC/DC fans knows they love Blues, and love Buddy GUY, especially Malcolm and Angus.

Here some pictures from the show ( Hockenheim 2001 )

( Look the glass of beer in the air.... so stupid... )

And when you have seen how Vintage Trouble was very well accepted during the last AC/DC Tour, I don't think it was some AC/DC fans ;)
    I would loved to have seen Buddy Guy on that catwalk. He is a damn good singer also.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Sep 5th 2019

That is a damn weird lineup, but I would have loved to see Buddy Guy play!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Sep 5th 2019

Posted By: vincent1982( Look the glass of beer in the air.... so stupid... )

Sickening.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Sep 5th 2019

Posted By: Grim177

Sickening.

Agreed. Absolutely pathetic.
    Posted By: DrBelford
    Posted By: Grim177

Sickening.

Agreed. Absolutely pathetic.
    “I like ACDC and throw beers at Buddy Guy”

No, you like Back in Black and Thunderstruck and have the money to casually see a band you know nothing about.

Regardless, it’s a shitty thing to throw anything at a performer with bad intentions.
    Well I would be fine in listening to these and only these for the rest of my life;

- ACDC
    - KISS
    - The Ramones
    - W.A.S.P.
    - Guns N Roses
    - Faith No More
    - Judas Priest

Thats like 84,1% of the music I have listened in the last 20yrs and I could not be happier.
    I like all the 60s and 70s band of worth: AC/DC (obviously), Cream, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, and a few others.

"Newer" bands I am a fanatic disciple of are Tesla and Thunder. This should be known by some on the forum by now.
    Posted By: ThankassSorry, i don't get that logic. GnR and AC/DC are 2 dinosaurs in rock music with very distinct guitarwork, drumwork and great vocals. But, like you said, they differ a lot from each other in being unique in their sound and having unique players that create a unique synergy and magic. Axl alone isn't GnR. So why would an addition of Axl to AC/DC be a dream come true for you? And especially an AC/DC that was missing 2 of its most important ingredients.

When did I say Axl was GNR? I would be just as pumped to hear Brian and Slash collaborate or any other mixture because it would be cool to hear the results. Why wouldn't the addition of Axl to AC/DC be a dream come true? Who better to fill a spot in a legendary rock band than another legendary rock artist? Certainly not the pathetic excuses for "singers" in cover bands being pushed by many fans. Brian didn't come into the band trying to imitate Bon. He had a markedly different sound from Bon and it worked in a totally different but also brilliant way. The same was true for Axl. It takes a big personality and unique voice to match the personality and uniqueness of Angus' playing.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALot
    Posted By: ThankassSorry, i don't get that logic. GnR and AC/DC are 2 dinosaurs in rock music with very distinct guitarwork, drumwork and great vocals. But, like you said, they differ a lot from each other in being unique in their sound and having unique players that create a unique synergy and magic. Axl alone isn't GnR. So why would an addition of Axl to AC/DC be a dream come true for you? And especially an AC/DC that was missing 2 of its most important ingredients.

When did I say Axl was GNR? I would be just as pumped to hear Brian and Slash collaborate or any other mixture because it would be cool to hear the results. Whywouldn'tthe addition of Axl to AC/DC be a dream come true? Who better to fill a spot in a legendary rock band than another legendary rock artist? Certainly not the pathetic excuses for "singers" in cover bands being pushed by many fans. Brian didn't come into the band trying to imitate Bon. He had a markedly different sound from Bon and it worked in a totally different but also brilliant way. The same was true for Axl. It takes a big personality and unique voice to match the personality and uniqueness of Angus' playing.
    Because you said you love GnR (for all the good reasons) and then say that Axl added to ac/dc was therefor a dream come true. That implicates that you put GnR and Axl on equal. That's why i said Axl isn't GnR. If you would have said a double headline bill with ac/dc and GnR was a dream come true than i would have understand it. But that's only my sense of reasoning of course ;)

For myself the merge didn't work. Axl is to distinct and triggers a GnR Pavlov reaction with most people.

Brian had also a unique voice but in 1980 his voice wasn't so specifically labeled to another major act. So that's why a part of the acceptance was maybe easier.
    • AC/DC rock music: Acdcdude
    • Sep 6th 2019

I love listening to Metallica, Rammstein and Queen.
    But AC/DC will forever be my number 1 favourite band.
    Koji Kondo, original composer of the Super Mario series and Legend of Zelda series, as well as the theme to Star Fox 64:

AC/DC are the greatest in my eyes but other than them I like...

Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, The Angels, The Doors, Queen, Metallica, Rolling Stones, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, Foo Fighters, BB King, Eric Clapton, Miles Davis, The Eagles, Elvis Presley.
    Posted By: ThankassBecause you said you love GnR (for all the good reasons) and then say that Axl added to ac/dc was therefor a dream come true. That implicates that you put GnR and Axl on equal.

... yeah. Which in no way implies Axl is GNR. Having the singer from my favorite band play with my other favorite band is a dream come true. Why are you projecting anything else onto this? What, it can't be a dream come true unless I consider Axl to be GNR and Angus to be AC/DC? That doesn't even make sense. If Axl and Slash joined AC/DC there would be no spot for Angus or Brian and it would be pointless. There is no denying that the lead singer and guitarist are the major figures in each band. Mix and match either of them and it would be immensely cool to hear the result.

Sure, a double headline would be cool, but not like hearing the music that would result from them working together, something that is almost impossible to conceive without hearing it.

Posted By: Thankass
    For myself the merge didn't work. Axl is to distinct and triggers a GnR Pavlov reaction with most people.

Brian had also a unique voice but in 1980 his voice wasn't so specifically labeled to another major act. So that's why a part of the acceptance was maybe easier.

IDK, listening to AXL/DC sure didn't make me think Guns N Roses at all. Precisely because, as you said, Axl is not GNR. Without Slash's bluesy, slithering leads or Steven Adler's groove, it did not sound at all like GNR.

Fair point about Brian, though.
    • AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Sep 6th 2019

1. AC/DC

The rest ...

ZZ Top, CCR, DLR era VH, GnR
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Sep 7th 2019 edited

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotHaving the singer from my favorite band play with my other favorite band is a dream come true.
    Ok, fair enough.

Posted By: DoinNothingMeansALotThere is no denying that the lead singer and guitarist are the major figures in each band. Mix and match either of them and it would be immensely cool to hear
    For me that just doesn't work in 99% of the cases. I like my bands because they are unique as a whole. Jagger singing for ac/dc, Eddie Vedder in R.E.M., Slash and Brian doing AC/DC songs, nah. Nice to hear one song for fun but not a favourable combo. But each to their own of course.

I had one exeption where such combination worked out perfectly well Jimmy Page and The Black Crowes playing Led Zeppelin songs. But that was because the Crowes sounded almost 100% as Zeppelin then.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Sep 7th 2019

•  
      AC/DC rock music: marcinha
    • Sep 7th 2019

Posted By: ThankassFor me that just doesn't work in 99% of the cases. I like my bands because they are unique as a whole. Jagger singing for ac/dc, Eddie Vedder in R.E.M., Slash and Brian doing AC/DC songs, nah. Nice to hear one song for fun but not a favourable combo. But each to their own of course.

I had one exeption where such combination worked out perfectly well Jimmy Page and The Black Crowes playing Led Zeppelin songs. But that was because the Crowes sounded almost 100% as Zeppelin then.

It won't work with every band, maybe even most. But Axl has a raspy sandpaper voice just like Brian, has been a huge fan his whole life, so he has a great respect and understanding of the music, and is in a relatively similar band. GNR are more like AC/DC than the Stones, certainly in terms of vocals. Slash and Brian would be interesting. Slash has done AC/DC songs many times before. In fact, his cover band Slash's Blues Ball did a cover of Night Prowler, of all songs!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Sep 8th 2019

DEVO. I wanted to get the Booji Boy mask, but at $125 dollars, it's pretty steep for a fairly simple mask. But what I like about DEVO is that they were just a complete bunch of misfits, and if you only know the band by their big hit, Whip It, I would definitely say to go back and check out some of their other work like Freedom of Choice and Beautiful World. A pretty important message they had, wrapped up in a twisted sense of humour. The world's still catching up with them.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Sep 8th 2019

^Love Devo.
    • AC/DC rock music: Mysterio
    • Sep 17th 2019

For Old school bands. It’s Led Zeppelin. New bands two come to mind. Rival Sons and Earthless.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Sep 17th 2019 edited

Posted By: MysterioRival Sons and Earthless.

Ooh, I keep forgetting about Earthless. Those guys are good!