To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

Had never seen this before. It's from SMAY design, who did the design for all the 2003 reissues booklets.

AC/DC does Alka Seltzer!
    • AC/DC rock music: FLACDC
    • Aug 31st 2019

Interesting. With a bit of refinement it’d have been better than the tattoo we got.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Aug 31st 2019

If this is genuine, it's way better than the cover they went with. In that it shows a modicum of imagination.
    Posted By: TreehornIf this is genuine, it's way better than the cover they went with. In that it shows a modicum of imagination.
    I appreciate the art for what it is on the official release, but this is much better.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Aug 31st 2019

They haven't had a decent album cover since FOTS
    I’m probably one of the few people that likes the BI cover. It’s not amazing but it’s honestly not horrible. The white one is my favorite out of the 4

Coll. But the final cover is one of their bests
    Oh so much better than what they used
    Final cover was garbage. Just a bunch of graphic clutter.

This has actual artistic value to it.
    The rejected cover art at least has the "classier" AC/DC logo, on which the lightning bolt doesn´t go below the C. I prefer it that way.

But overall I like the actual BI red cover better.
    • AC/DC rock music: ianbigmac
    • Sep 1st 2019 edited

No AC/DC cover can touch this imo. Their best. Had a mate paint this onto the back of my denim jacket (sadly gave to a friend who got it nicked)

•  
    • Sep 1st 2019

All the covers have been SHITE since FOTW.
    Posted By: DustDevilAll the covers have been SHITE since FOTW.

Yep. If this is their final hurrah I hope they go back to the classic colour and logo.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Sep 1st 2019

Really cool find!
    And yes, the rejected version feels way more "ACDC".
    To me the one(or should I say one's) we got just look so artificial. It looks like something a computer would generate rather than something hand drawn or painted. All the lines are too sharp and perfectly semetric. Just looks bland really, like a preset in a photo editing program and I also thought it was way too busy.

Would much prefer something more original.If that rejected art is legit at least it has some classic elements to it even if simple.
    What's worse about the Black Ice artwork is the God awful merch it has inspired.

I hate seeing those fugly shirts with that style on it.
    •  
    • Sep 1st 2019 edited

With just some minor tweaks this cover art would have been epic.

Some small cracks for example, that indicates that it's an ice block & they could faintly resemble rl lightening shapes.
    In any case, much cooler than what we ended up with. That was just way to generic IMO

It is also much closer to what I had in my mind when I heard the title, much more fitting.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Sep 1st 2019

High voltage (european), LTBR, HTH are great looking covers imo. Would rank the cover on FTATR as the last classic one, where as the covers on BUYV and TRE are in the bottom (musical parallells unintentional) xD
    • AC/DC rock music: Rajd07
    • Sep 1st 2019

Posted By: Pedro HodeckerColl. But the final cover is one of their bests
    The one with the white letters looks good. Better than the rejected ice version, which reminds of the cover on ROB, just Ice instead of rocks.
    Posted By: nitroangus23What's worse about the Black Ice artwork is the God awful merch it has inspired.

Amen bro. And don't get me started on Angus in album promo shots

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Sep 1st 2019

Frozen BIB.
    Posted By: ianbigmac
    Posted By: nitroangus23What's worse about the Black Ice artwork is the God awful merch it has inspired.

Amen bro. And don't get me started on Angus in album promo shots

His hair is too short for you?
    •  
    • Sep 1st 2019

I fucking hate pretty much ALL posed band promo shots. They should stick to natural studio/live shots.
    I like that one better than the others that were used.
    Posted By: ianbigmacNo AC/DC cover can touch this imo. Their best. Had a mate paint this onto the back of my denim jacket (sadly gave to a friend who got it nicked)

Agreed, though HTH is a close 2nd.
    Posted By: BallToucherThe rejected cover art at least has the "classier" AC/DC logo, on which the lightning bolt doesn´t go below the C. I prefer it that way.

But overall I like the actual BI red cover better.

I don’t think would’ve ever noticed that unless you said something.

Hell of an eye you got miss BT. Lol.
    Posted By: DustDevilThey haven't had a decent album cover since FOTS

Since back in black for me.
    Posted By: SpellboundI don’t think would’ve ever noticed that unless you said something.

Hell of an eye you got miss BT. Lol.

I know, right? :P
    •  
    • Sep 1st 2019 edited

^It's true. They should return to the original logo.
    Spacing & Kerning is all off on the newer one.

Gerard Huerta knew what he was doing :)
    That cover is way better than the final version.
    • AC/DC rock music: mkberg
    • Sep 1st 2019

If a new album/EP comes, I hope they either do a minimalist approach with the classic red logo or a proper Angus cover. Would love a drawn Ang with HV (Int) as inspiration, to complete the circle.
    I like that a lot, but I think it would be better if they removed the blurring on the AC/DC logo. If they did that it would be better than the final version.
    I liked the rock n roll train single album work
    Would’ve made a good album cover
    Posted By: ShootToThrillI like that a lot, but I think it would be better if they removed the blurring on the AC/DC logo. If they did that it would be better than the final version.

Agree with you there.

Posted By: mkbergIf a new album/EP comes, I hope they either do a minimalist approach with the classic red logo or a proper Angus cover. Would love a drawn Ang with HV (Int) as inspiration, to complete the circle.

Would love that also, I really dug Ballbreaker being hand drawn although it is much more elaborate than the earlier works, still enjoy it although I see a lot of hate for it.
    I like the rejected BI cover. It looks like some sort of exotic drink. I never cared for the LTBR cover from above. The way the lighting is makes Angus look like an ugly girl with a perm. I like the simplicity of the guitar neck on the Oz version. It represents the stripped down feel of the album, much like the artwork for FOTS does for that album. My favorite cover has to be DDDDC (Oz).

Nitro mentions the BB artwork. I remember when I first bought the album (when it came out) that I was impressed by the comic artwork in it. I didn't think that aspect of the album was bad.
    ^Black Ice gin cocktail, surprised haven't seen that yet pretty much every other angle covered.

Artwork is OK at best but granted it is better than actual final version
    It is probably fair to say the band didn’t care much what graced their covers these past years, a “that will do” approach as with the music.
    Posted By: TreehornIf this is genuine, it's way better than the cover they went with. In that it shows a modicum of imagination.

Really?? Honestly?? I get the idea but its a bit bland isn't it? I feel that BI gets such a bad rap on here that if somebody had posted a puddle of urine with AC/DC shaped turds in it people would prefer it to the actual BI cover. At least the cover they went with had a big fuck off red AC/DC logo on it.

I really feel they lost the plot with RoB with its weetabix/dried shit logo (they really did go for the turdulike idea on that one - brown as well, nice)
    Posted By: SpellboundI appreciate the art for what it is on the official release, but this is much better.

its not

that is a fair point
    •  
    • Sep 3rd 2019

^Aw, I wanted to see that image:(
    Posted By: carlos fandango

Really?? Honestly?? I get the idea but its a bit bland isn't it? I feel that BI gets such a bad rap on here that if somebody had posted a puddle of urine with AC/DC shaped turds in it people would prefer it to the actual BI cover. At least the cover they went with had a big fuck off red AC/DC logo on it.

I really feel they lost the plot with RoB with its weetabix/dried shit logo (they really did go for the turdulike idea on that one - brown as well, nice)

If they would’ve used the Blue logo from the final release over what is in the OP I imagine it would be as good as it would ever get.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Sep 3rd 2019

Posted By: carlos fandangoif somebody had posted a puddle of urine with AC/DC shaped turds in it people would prefer it to the actual BI cover.

AC/DC shaped turds

Like the ROB cover?!
    Posted By: Angus12345

AC/DC shaped turds

Like the ROB cover?!

Exactly!!! I think someone from here described it as dried diarrhea at the time!!
    • AC/DC rock music: Kev1980
    • Sep 3rd 2019

Posted By: Angus12345

AC/DC shaped turds

Like the ROB cover?!

Exactly!!! I think someone from here described it as dried diarrhea at the time!!

I think the best description of the ROB cover I heard was Exploding Mouldy Weetabix Versus the font from Harry Potter.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Treehorn
    • Sep 3rd 2019

I like it because it reflects the album name, doing what it says on the tin, has an air of danger about it- feels like step on that ice and you'll get a nasty shock! Also kind of harks back to BIB cover.

Winner as far as I'm concerned- but to each their own. I felt the cover that was released was gimmicky, graphic nonsense and a cheap way of getting the hardcore to buy four copies- not to mention the tinned edition! I appreciate the logo is a little too blurry, that could perhaps have been fixed.

Treehorn is available should the lads need any poncey appraisal of covers for a future release ;)