To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

Now that you bastards have turned my innocent year old Evil Walks thread into a BUYV thread [ ;) ], I noticed something - there are maybe one or two songs on it that almost everyone likes on it, but the rest is highly controversial on here. I figured that doing a simple ranking would be a good way to argue which track is better and to see some of the ludicrous lists you guys make. If you don't wanna rank them, then just talk about the tracks - good and bad.

I know I'm about to piss off some people, but oh well.

1. Meanstreak - Yes, it's a bit different, but it's a fucking fantastic song. I don't find Mal's part very "funky", but, whatever it is, it's great. Brian's also got a very unique tone in the verses on this song - something present only on this album.

2. Two's Up - Also a great track. Somewhat heavy and somewhat dark feeling, but not in a Razors Edge or Furor kind of way. Just a great riff, great vocal performance, and Angus's solo might be the best part of the album.

3. Heatseeker - A pretty good, energetic opener, and it contrasts with Fly on the Wall in such a noticeable way. Still, it sets the somewhat energetic and grit-lacking tone of the album (which can either be a positive or a negative). I'm glad they played it at Donington

4. TTWIWRAR - Got a nice feeling to it, and a good riff. Not much else to say - it's one of the better tracks on this album.

5. Nick of Time - Pretty good. Once again, some more unique vocals from Brian and a decent riff. Nothing too great, but good. It goes downhill after this.

I want to stress the immediate drop in quality IMO that happens after the top 5.

6. Kissin Dynamite - Some nice guitar work in the verses, and I like Simon's entrance, but that's it.

7. SSFN - Not bad, but it does very little for me. The chorus is pretty good, and the lyrics are good, but that's it for me.

8. Go Zone - Once again, some good guitar work in the verses, but that's it. The chorus is kinda stupid imo.

9. Ruff Stuff - I'll quote Jem here - "this is a long way from the ACDC I love". I could at least agree if I actually like the song. Yes, it's got a melodic guitar line that's actually quite good, but that is the only good thing about the song whatsoever.

10. This Means War - The disappointing bastard child of Riff Raff. The feeling is all wrong, and it drags.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Aug 21st 2019

I can’t really rank them, but I can summarise…

Heatseaker – great song, nice chord changes, love the way the solo comes in. OK, so looking back it’s a bit mild after Fly On The Wall, but it’s a bit more rock n roll. Brian’s voice had changed a lot, still great, but older and the previous Brian had left the building.

TTWIWRnR – a clever song with its 50s roots. Superb vocals, brilliant solo. It’s a great track, would be great with a better production.

Meanstreak – good song, it’s cool and has a nice vibe to it. It’s different yet doesn’t sound forced. Neat lyrics.

Go Zone – I really like it. Those grinding guitars, those sounds were brilliant, just not maximised with that production. OK, not a BIB style anthem, but raw and in yer face.

Kissin’ Dynamite – not bad, but sounds a little forced and you get to the end of side A with a severe lack of big singalong choruses, for the first time since HTH.

Nick of Time – very cool song, one that might work with a more polished, Mutt style sound. I’d prefer a straight beat without Simon snapping along to the riff how he does there.

Some Sin For Nothing – it’s great, just gets a bit muddy due to the production. Brian’s excellent on there.

Ruff Stuff – never knew it was mocked before I joined forums! It’s a bit AC/DC-lite but it’s still a good song.

Two’s Up – musically great but I don’t like the ‘doomy shagging’ idea, doesn’t work for me, though it didn’t bother me originally. Fantastic vocals on the verses.

This Means War – the silly riff is quite fun, and sounds great over Mal’s chiming powerchords later, some fantastic guitar moments. But that chorus, wow what a disappointment. They’d lost that edge, that judgement.

Overall, tons of interesting ideas, but you really got the feeling they’d lost a bit of spark, not in creativity, but in their previous naturally easy way of banging out those big anthems. That was what seemed missing then, and still does now. Borderline was brilliant, Borrowed Time fucking awesome. Snake Eye not bad either. I’d have found room for all three of those, definitely.
    I love the material, production oh well...

And they dropped Borrowed Time and On the Borderline. Insane. Those songs are fantastic!
    1. Two's Up - Brilliant song, dark and epic. Would be fitting for a movie about fascism or something with that haunting reverb and steadily marching beat.
    2. Nick of Time - Another top notch track. Some of Brian's best lyrics and an addictively melodic pre-chorus and chorus.
    3. TTWIWRNR - Excellent riff.
    4. Heatseeker - fun tune all around. Really brought to life in '91, though, with Slade.
    5. This Means War - Another great riff, and some cool lyrics
    6. Ruff Stuff - melodic and catchy as fuck riff. I love it.

The rest have some good parts but needed more development.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Aug 22nd 2019

Really hard to rank as always.

1. Twos Up: The last great guitar work out. Love everything about it particularly the 'doomy shagging.' Should try it sometime 900 :)
    2. SSFN: Just fantastic. The part before the solo is magnificent, the solo even better. Lyrically clever from Brian. Brilliant, brilliant song.
    3. TTWIWRnR: Cracking rock and roll tune. Great live
    4. Heatseeker: Same as above.
    5. Ruff Stuff: Massively grown on me over the years. At the time there was a review from Mark Putterford in the tour programme I think which mentioned that this could have been an MTV hit. I have come to completely agree with this. You put decent mix/production on this and it would have been another hit single.
    6. Nick Of Time: Ripper live.
    7. Go Zone: Initially I preferred this to Heatseeker on the single. Still really enjoy it. Filth.
    8. Kissing Dynamite: This is the song which suffers the most from the sonic issues. Imagine this sounding like LMPMLIY and it could have been a fucking monster.
    9. Meanstreak: Lyrically awesome. Love most of it musically. Sometimes it doesn't quite work.
    10. This Means War: Always better than I remember. Brian described it as a real 'neckbreaker' ahead of release and the press were talking about it being Thrash influenced, I think both of those things raised expectations and caused unnecessary disappointment.
    • Aug 22nd 2019

Posted By: Jem'doomy shagging.' Should try it sometime 900 :)

You should meet some of my ex-girlfriends ((insert various emojis here covering all angles))

Good memory about Mark Putterford. I remember it was him, or maybe the guy who reviewed it (5/5) in Kerrang, Chris Welch, saying "just a couple of mini classics this time" and referred to Ruff Stuff.

TTWIWRnR would be interesting with a more powerful production and mix. I've heard a few people say the bit where it launches into the pre-chorus sounds abrupt and disconnected to the previous bits. I think a better sound would make it more fluid. Would like to hear it live again - Brian could do it.

Nice to hear some praise for SSFN.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 22nd 2019 edited

4 excellent 9/10 songs: TU, HS, TTWIWRnR and NOT
    3 good 8/10 songs: KD, SSFN, TMW,
    2 ok 7/10 songs: MS and GZ

Every song has some very strong moments.
    It's arguably their most melodic and best arranged album.

Production: bad vocal sound, bad Bass sound, very bad drumsound, Mal's tone is bad, Angus tone is ok.

Talk Talk made a song about this album.
    Posted By: 900TTWIWRnR would be interesting with a more powerful production and mix. I've heard a few people say the bit where it launches into the pre-chorus sounds abrupt and disconnected to the previous bits. I think a better sound would make it more fluid. Would like to hear it live again - Brian could do it.

If there ever was a song from the Simon era for Rudd to play live, it'd be that one. Would be excellent for Brian I think these days.

Kissin' Dynamite,Nick Of Time,Two's Up,Sum Sin For Nuthin', That's The Way are my favorites.

I like them all,but Heatseeker is surprisingly in the bottom part of the barrel for me. I prefer TTWIWRNR to it honestly.
    Gotta say, I’m surprised at the general praise some of these songs get. It’s a mixture of good/great songs and songs with a few good ideas that were either undeveloped or executed poorly to me. There’s nothing on it that I particularly hate, but also nothing on it that would find itself in my top 40.

The thought of critics thinking ACDC could have been influenced by thrash metal is hilarious.
    Being honest, in a dream "Brian only" setlist scenario consisting of 18 to 21 songs I can easily fit 3 or 4 from this record on it.
    The Good:
    Heatseeker
    That's the Way I Wanna Rock 'n' Roll
    Nick of Time
    Some Sin for Nuthin
    Two's Up

The OK:
    Meanstreak (Like Jem said, great lyrics)
    Kissin' Dynamite

& The Ugly:
    Go Zone
    Ruff Stuff (sounds like filler for a hair metal band)
    This Means War

Here's a classic TV spot for their Blow Up Your Video tour:

The Boys are on their way... lol
    The excellent:
    Heatseeker
    TTWIWRNR
    Two’s Up
    Nick Of Time

The great:
    Meanstreak
    Kissin’ Dynamite
    SSFN
    Go Zone

The ok:
    Ruff Stuff (seriously underrated and it’s seriously grown on me over the years)
    This Means War (would be better on TRE with Slade drumming)

Most of these songs have seriously grown on me and I like them all but KD and Ruff Stuff are the 2 that I’ve really come to love. Great lyrics from Brian throughout the album. It’s a shame that Borrowed Time, Down son The Boderline, Snake Eye, Let It Loose, and Alright Tonight weren’t put on the album the album would’ve been even better with those songs
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Aug 22nd 2019

I don't understand the low ratings for Go Zone. I think it sounds like a Fly On The Wall song, and that album has a bunch of good stuff.

•  
    • Aug 22nd 2019 edited

Deleted.
    I dig Go Zone also, but not in my top 5 from the record.
    It has a nice groove.
    Honestly my favourite album, it all just works for me, except Go Zone. The whole album just feels varied and fresh, i even like the production

Heatseeker - AWESOME
    TTWIWRNR - AWESOME
    Nick of Time - AWESOME
    Some Sin for Nuthin - AWESOME
    Two's Up - MINDBLOWING
    Meanstreak - GREAT
    Kissin' Dynamite - GREAT
    Go Zone - POO
    Ruff Stuff - GOOD
    This Means War - GOOD
    1. Heatseeker -
    2. TTWIWRNR -
    3. Some Sin for Nuthin
    4. Two's Up
    5. Go Zone
    6. Nick of Time
    7. Ruff Stuff
    8. Meanstreak
    9. Kissin' Dynamite
    10. This Means War

Too much of album sounds like demo tracks and filler
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Aug 23rd 2019

1. Two's up
    2. TTWIWRNR
    3. Some sin for nuthin
    4. Heatseeker
    5. Nick of Time & Ruff Stuff :)
    • Aug 23rd 2019

If they did remix it, they could perhaps replace the drums, even if just by triggering samples in place of the current ones.

I'd like to start a fans' petition get this remixed. There are so many people who like the songs but not the production. It needn't be a major overhaul, I think it would sound pretty good with most of the reverbs removed / reduced, and some careful EQ to get more separation.

Band / record company would make money, they could release it digital only to minimise costs.

I know it wouldn't ever happen, but it's really annoying.
    Posted By: 900If they did remix it, they could perhaps replace the drums, even if just by triggering samples in place of the current ones.

I'd like to start a fans' petition get this remixed. There are so many people who like the songs but not the production. It needn't be a major overhaul, I think it would sound pretty good with most of the reverbs removed / reduced, and some careful EQ to get more separation.

Band / record company would make money, they could release it digital only to minimise costs.

I know it wouldn't ever happen, but it's really annoying.
    Let’s remix Fly first ;)
    • AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Aug 23rd 2019 edited

I've always liked this album as a whole. It's well off the bottom of the list in my ranking of Brian albums.
    I'll get blasted for this, but with Rudd and just moderately tweaked production, this one could have been the Brian era Powerage.
    Posted By: CannonI've always liked this album as a whole. It's well off the bottom of the list in my ranking of Brian albums.
    I'll get blasted for this, but with Rudd and just moderately tweaked production, this one could have been the Brian era Powerage.

I’d say a complete overhaul of the production but yeah. Easily would’ve been his Powerage if it didn’t sound like shit. Best thought out songwriting since BIB imo.
    •  
    • Aug 23rd 2019

I think it could have been Brian's Highway To Hell
    Posted By: ThankassI think it could have been Brian's Highway To Hell
    How so? In terms of how good the songwriting is, or popularity?

Are we truly considering that BUYV would be on the levels of their late 70s material if it had not been for production, or am I misunderstanding what is being said?
    Just played BUYV front to back with good headphones and honestly can’t see what the fuss is regarding the production/sound. The album is strong and punchy and everyone sounds great. Sure, it’s not the 1980 Brian but at least he knows how to use his voice to it’s maximum potential in its then current state. Simon is starting to stray a bit too far from the Rudd template but at least it gives the songs an additional texture and makes it all seem more adventurously arranged for a change. All in all, its pretty much exactly what AC/DC was destined to sound like in 1988, which is a sensible bridge between Fly and TRE.
    •  
    • Aug 23rd 2019 edited

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostJust played BUYV front to back with good headphones and honestly can’t see what the fuss is regarding the production/sound. The album is strong and punchy

You need new headphones. Or maybe I need your headphones.
    •  
    • Aug 24th 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

Are we truly considering that BUYV would be on the levels of their late 70s material if it had not been for production, or am I misunderstanding what is being said?
    The type of songs, the drive, Brian's lyrics. It reminds me a bit like HTH. Not so much Powerage. And yes, i think in '88 the band still had the potential to sound like their heydays, if produced and mixed properly.
    •  
    • Aug 24th 2019

Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostJust played BUYV front to back with good headphones and honestly can’t see what the fuss is regarding the production/sound. The album is strong and punchy

You need new headphones. Or maybe I need your headphones.
    ForThos probably has the real end product as it was supposed to be released. The rest of the world got the raw demo mix that was released by error. Still one of ac/dc's best kept secrets.
    Posted By: Thankass
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin

The type of songs, the drive, Brian's lyrics. It reminds me a bit like HTH. Not so much Powerage. And yes, i think in '88 the band still had the potential to sound like their heydays, if produced and mixed properly.
    I agree that they could have sounded like the did in 1980 at the time with proper mixing, but I'm talking about songwriting quality, which, to me, is very lacking on BUYV when compared to monster tracks like IFWB, WAOY, TTM, etc...
    But proper mixing still wouldn’t have erased 1988 from the final product.

And you’re rattling off HTH tracks. Different singer, different producer, different decade, and 9 years later. Hence: different!
    •  
    • Aug 24th 2019

It's more a statement in line with " SUL is Brian's PA" and "FOTS is Brian's LTBR". I think BUYV is Brian's HTH. Of course they cannot literally be seen as twins but it's more the vibe and song types.

I think the songs on BUYV are just as good arranged as on HTH, arguably even better.
    Posted By: ThankassIt's more a statement in line with " SUL is Brian's PA" and "FOTS is Brian's LTBR". I think BUYV is Brian's HTH. Of course they cannot literally be seen as twins but it's more the vibe and song types.

I think the songs on BUYV are just as good arranged as on HTH, arguably even better.
    You do you, though I'm surprised anyone could view the songwriting of BUYV as equal to that of HTH.

To me, BUYV has a very upbeat and strange feel that is nearly the polar opposite of HTH. Almost every album in their catalog has a different vibe, though, so that's not saying much.
    HTH is more like the Bon era’s FTATR to me. Coming off as a bit too slick and forced and a tad self conscious about doing what seemed to come so effortlessly on PA. I chalk it up to Mutt though.
    •  
    • Aug 24th 2019

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostHTH is more like the Bon era’s FTATR to me. Coming off as a bit too slick and forced and a tad self conscious about doing what seemed to come so effortlessly on PA. I chalk it up to Mutt though.
    Yeah Mutt of course had a big hand in that slick sound and arrangements. But still HTH is RnR in its core whereas FTATR is mostly pompous arena hardrock.

I think V&Y had a big hand in arrangements on BUYV and they tried another formula than on FOTS and FOTW. In that sense it was also a parallel to PA> HTH
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostHTH is more like the Bon era’s FTATR to me. Coming off as a bit too slick and forced and a tad self conscious about doing what seemed to come so effortlessly on PA. I chalk it up to Mutt though.
    Yeah Mutt of course had a big hand in that slick sound and arrangements. But still HTH is RnR in its core whereas FTATR is mostly pompous arena hardrock.

I think V&Y had a big hand in arrangements on BUYV and they tried another formula than on FOTS and FOTW. In that sense it was also a parallel to PA> HTH

Well, I can say what I will about HTH but I still love it. Feels like some of this with a lot of folks comes down to just preferring one era over the other. Seems that folks with love both eras equally or even equall-ish are much more forgiving of the crimes of FTATR and BUYV. And this is why these arguments are usually futile.
    •  
    • Aug 24th 2019

Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPost

Well, I can say what I will about HTH but I still love it. Feels like some of this with a lot of folks comes down to just preferring one era over the other. Seems that folks with love both eras equally or even equall-ish are much more forgiving of the crimes of FTATR and BUYV. And this is why these arguments are usually futile.
    I very much love the '77 to '88 era, with a focus on the '77-'81 golden era. BUYV was the last time that the songs had real potential. The production on BUYV is much more a crime than on FTATR.

I very much love the '77 to '88 era, with a focus on the '77-'81 golden era. BUYV was the last time that the songs had real potential. The production on BUYV is much more a crime than on FTATR.

I hear you. And yeah, after BUYV (well, I’d say TRE) it became AC/DC by the numbers.
    Some Sin
    Nick of Time
    Heatseeker
    Go Zone
    That's The Way
    Two's Up (would be at the top or near if not for the lyrics; can't stand how they don't match the mood of the music)
    This Means War
    Kissin' Dynamite
    Meanstreak (don't care for the playful funkiness)
    Ruff Stuff (this mood does not work for AC/DC, save it for Winger)

All in all, I think there are a couple potentially great songs, a few good ones and a couple that never should have made the album.

Prior to this, AC/DC was a dirty and tough neighbourhood with fist fights, hard working and harder drinking factory men, fast and loose women who traded action for booze, dope and cash, and even a couple gangsters. With Blow Up Your Video it's a gentrifying neighbourhood with families moving in and a couple fancy coffee shops. Not yet wholly affluent and complacent but the beginning of the end.
    Dude, we don’t stay young forever. Lots of street fighting badasses are now old grandpas in wheelchairs. This is the problem with not accepting things on their own merits and pining for the past. I wonder how many of us would still be talking shit about Bon had he lived and been wearing Members Only jackets and had hair metal hair in the 80’s? Of course, he’d never have done either? Or would he have?

Money, fame, and time does wonders for hard knuckle types. Not that AC/DC were ever really content as such. They were very ambitious lads who wanted success. Even Brian wasn’t happy being a broke, salt of the earth regular guy playing pubs for the local drunks. BUYV is a logical evolution of these guy’s lives.
    Posted By: ForThoseAboutToPostBUYV is a logical evolution of these guy’s lives.
    I don’t give a shit what they evolve into, as long as it’s quality, BUYV ain’t quality, period.
    Posted By: Badlands66
    I don’t give a shit what they evolve into, as long as it’s quality, BUYV ain’t quality, period.

“With Blow Up Your Video it's a gentrifying neighbourhood with families moving in and a couple fancy coffee shops. Not yet wholly affluent and complacent.”

But this doesn’t at all reflect the lyrical content of BUYV. What is it you’re drawing the parallel from then? Some 1988 reverb?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: SHOO23L
    • Aug 25th 2019

I could almost live with the gobs of reverb on BUYV if only they hadn't been out to lunch when choosing their EQ settings for Brian and for Simon's snare. Seriously, that's one awful-sounding drum. And Brian sounds way to harsh; contrast that with his much more balanced tone on FOTS.

One thing that DID get right on BUYV was the mix of the bottom end, though it's overpowered by the harshness of the guitars and Brian. Cliff's tone is warm and punchy, the kick drum is full and weighty, and the blend of the two compliment each other; they don't get in each other's way. This is exactly where FOTS suffers sonically, and looses a lot of the balls in its mix: Flick's bass tone is quite muddy, and clashes with the body of the kick drum sound. Depending on what Cliff is playing, the kick drum disappears except for sound of the beater on the head.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: BallToucher
    • Aug 25th 2019 edited

Posted By: SHOO23LI could almost live with the gobs of reverb on BUYV if only they hadn't been out to lunch when choosing their EQ settings for Brian and for Simon's snare.

You don't make your singer sound so badly and hidden behind all kinds of effects and reverb unless you do it on purpose. As in FLY, it was a deliberate choice as the Youngs didn´t know what to do with Brian's voice. You want to "hide" your singer? Then the rest of the instruments and mix have to sound similar.

Bruce Fairbairn understood this very clearly: look, this is how your singer sounds, and it's UNIQUE, let's put him up front, and he did put him up front allright. He's been up front ever since.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Janonen
    • Aug 25th 2019

I don't mind the guitars at all. The vocal tracks are the first thing I'd remix.

“With Blow Up Your Video it's a gentrifying neighbourhood with families moving in and a couple fancy coffee shops. Not yet wholly affluent and complacent.”

But this doesn’t at all reflect the lyrical content of BUYV. What is it you’re drawing the parallel from then? Some 1988 reverb?

Nope, some tracks capable of standing up to what came before, none do.
    They started to be a overblown, by the numbers rock band at this point, almost a parody of themselves. The grit and the bite was gone.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Grim177
    • Aug 25th 2019

They started to be a overblown, by the numbers rock band at this point, almost a parody of themselves. The grit and the bite was gone.

Some would say that began with FTATR.
    ACDC really went downhill when Peter Clack left

Hey man! Suit yourself.
    Posted By: Grim177

Some would say that began with FTATR.

The overall quality was still present at that point, after Flick/Fly it was a sharp drop off, lamentable.

Hey man! Suit yourself.

You don’t agree past albums were decidedly better?