To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

First song and video released from their new album: "Rock and Roll Deserves to Die"

A very classic Darkness style song in that it takes a few left turns that seem strange at first, but work the more you listen to it. Still, this one seems like more of a fun throwaway than the best the album will have to offer. They have a habit of releasing the worst songs as the opening singles. Considering that, I think this may be a truly great album.

I have generally been impressed by the sustained quality of their later career output (despite lousy single selection and leaving great songs as bonus tracks). If you aren't impressed by the new track, then check out some of these ones I consider modern classics:

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Briany
    • Aug 9th 2019

The Darkness are still quality. Always thought it a pity they weren't able to strike harder when the iron was hot.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Aug 9th 2019

Saw them a few weeks ago, brilliant night out!! Justin is one hell of a frontman.

Not sure about the new stuff though, but was first listen and sandwiched amongst their hits.
    The beginning of With A Woman reminds me of Bad Boy Boogie.
    I've really come to enjoy this band's music. One Way Ticket is still my favorite album of theirs.

I find it an odd coincidence that I see AC/DC blowing out candles with their amp around the same time this video comes out.
    Permission To Land and the early B sides are all the Darkness you need. And their cover of Street Spirit.
    Posted By: tomscotlandPermission To Land and the early B sides are all the Darkness you need. And their cover of Street Spirit.

It is their best stuff, I'd agree. But there is plenty of amazing stuff from their other albums. One Way Ticket is an amazing album imo, and all of their other albums have amazing tracks aswell. "Barbarian", "She Just A Girl", "Bucaneers of Hispanola". All the bonus tracks from "Last of our Kind" are amazing and better than half the tracks in the actual album.
    Posted By: matirocker
    Posted By: tomscotlandPermission To Land and the early B sides are all the Darkness you need. And their cover of Street Spirit.

It is their best stuff, I'd agree. But there is plenty of amazing stuff from their other albums. One Way Ticket is an amazing album imo, and all of their other albums have amazing tracks aswell. "Barbarian", "She Just A Girl", "Bucaneers of Hispanola". All the bonus tracks from "Last of our Kind" are amazing and better than half the tracks in the actual album.

AGREED! I don't know why they throw away some of their best tracks. Same with Hot Cakes, the live versions of Cannonball and Can't Believe It's Not Love were amazing, but they were ruined in the studio and left as B-sides.
    I wish I could get into this band, musically it's rockin' but the vocals seem to kill it for me. Still haven't looked at everything they've done though, willing to dig again and see if it'll click.
    Posted By: nitroangus23I wish I could get into this band, musically it's rockin' but the vocals seem to kill it for me. Still haven't looked at everything they've done though, willing to dig again and see if it'll click.

Based on that, I would recommend Open Fire (very different vocal style on that one, doesn't even sound like the same guy), Love on the Rocks, Givin Up or Stuck in a Rut.
    They also did the best Christmas song ever.
    The end of that song is pretty heavy with 'Let There Be Rock' references. They even pull out out a bit of Angus' riffing around the 4:17 mark and from the 4:35 mark.
    I like this one:

Dan Hawkins (the rhythm guitarist) also did some good stuff with the Stone Gods while the Darkness were on hiatus. This song is very commercial but still rocks quite hard. It's a bit like the Solid Gold track. Some good rhythm guitar in the second verse (reminds me of the layered guitars in Night Prowler). There's a video on YouTube but the sound quality is too low.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • 10 hours ago

I do enjoy a bit of Darkness.

I bumped into Justin Hawkins in a bar in Portugal years ago, 2006 I think, after Rock in Rio. he said, "You're English", and walked off.

He was wrong, I'm actually WELSH.
    There was a controversial poster on the now and since long time defunct Rising Power site with the moniker Zoid who also was from Wales. At least I joked with him about that.