To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

Yes, I know. Casuals love it. It's overplayed. It's everywhere. There's no Phil. It's overproduced.

I´m not gonna go into old tired territory (it brought the band back, it's the last true classic, ask your average Joe to name one song, etc) because we all know that already and it's been talked about to death.

All of it it's true, anyway.

What I'm getting to is, the song is just fantastic and the video. What sets the video apart? Brian is "on character". What do I mean? It's pretty much like the BIB videos. He's not constantly smiling and fooling around, he's being his badass self for most of it. He means business on this video. He's taking no prisoners. Laughs are not to be found here. (There's a Little bit with Malcolm towards the end, though).

2:15sh, that's a rock legend in character and putting on some drama and effort.

Anyway, it's a sunny summer sunday, let's all praise this single, because it rocks, eat it, Fandango:

Also: Anti Christ/Desmond Child (Jem copyright)
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Aug 4th 2019

Unapologetically epic. Makes the blood boil in the best sense. Indispensable when it comes to an ACDC marathon.

That's why I rarely listen to it :) When I do, I usually end up nearly wrecking my room.
    Must be used with caution! XD
    My all-time favourite AC/DC track, ever. Incredible build that follows with a massive payoff at the end. One of the greatest rock anthems ever written. If this song doesn't get you toes tapping, you have no feet.
    • AC/DC rock music: Big Rab
    • Aug 4th 2019

Superb
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Aug 4th 2019

Gave me so much joy when it came out. Redemption and a big fuck You simultaneously.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Aug 4th 2019

Posted By: JemRedemption and a big fuck You simultaneously.

Yeah, it really cemented the "We're here to stay" message beyond any doubt.
    The soundtrack to my youth. I’ll say this much lookin’ back at it today,
    it has maybe the coolest music video ever shot. Never been bettered.
    An anthem indeed.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jet1984
    • Aug 4th 2019

Have to say I don't like the album version that much. Live is a different thing though. Always a highlight during shows.
    Still fucking love it. Every single time, can't help but get into it and turn it up.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 4th 2019

I ate it all because they were back in the limelight big time with this song. The song and especially the intro was something so fresh and revealing. I was fucking proud that my band was back.
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Aug 4th 2019

An absolute classic and a great song with some great songwriting in it. It's true that it is overplayed and I usually skip it nowadays but it doesn't make it less brilliant. I still remember putting on the cassette and hearing it for the first time. I first thought the "ahahahas" in the beginning were the sound of an engine and not backing vocals. Great memories.
    • AC/DC rock music: savsav
    • Aug 5th 2019

It's great live when you are there . Not sure the last time I listened to the audio all the way through . When it was released it was played every 3rd song on the video duke box in my local pub . good times
    There's no way you can take an AC/DC fan seriously if he doesn't like Thunderstruck.
    I love it. THE version for me is the Live albums version. Slades drumming sounds great there and the energy is great.

Things to love about TS:
    - Brians return to 100% power, dang I love his vocals on this one
    - The main lick is of course momentous, but dang oh dang Mals parts on this song and how he executes them are legendary as well; Stevie did a great job, but this song he could not master. Uh that Palm.
    - The backin vocals
    - The powah
    - It made ACDCs 90ties, seriously they could have been on Aerosmiths path without this
    - It echos thru the eons and still brings new folks into AC/DC see:

•  
      AC/DC rock music: Rikha
    • Aug 5th 2019

The supreme Rock track ever created. Loved it to death back then and still love it now.

When I want to convert someone into AC/DC that's the first song I put and it's never failed me.
    I love the music video. Great memories. I listen to the No Bull version quite often, that's my favorite take on the song
    Hahahaha, that video CliffFINmark2 posted, @4:14sh I guess because Brian is wearing his now classic "Wife Beater"?
    The thing about the Thunderstruck video thought, it's very well cut. Mallet might had directed it, but whoever his editor was, EDITED THE HELL OUT OF IT! Every Little detail is picked up at the right moment and that's why the video Works so well.

I'm starting to think maybe D/Child had a hand on that, too...
    Posted By: BallToucherHahahaha, that video CliffFINmark2 posted, @4:14sh I guess because Brian is wearing his now classic "Wife Beater"?

Haha true and actually Brian was in the middle of a divorce when recording TRE, that was one reason they gave for pulling him out from doing lyrics as he had his plate full. And I cab hear him belt out some anger on Thunder, a majestic vocal.
    Being perfectly honest, I like Slade on Thunderstruck more than Rudd. Thunderstruck is not a song that needs a good groove, but a song that needs power and speed. That's just me, and, for the majority of ACDC's catalog, a groove is needed.

Live at Donington kills it
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinBeing perfectly honest, I like Slade on Thunderstruck more than Rudd. Thunderstruck is not a song that needs a good groove, but a song that needs power and speed. That's just me, and, for the majority of ACDC's catalog, a groove is needed.

It is not just you. Rudd is tha man, but TS from LIVE is the pinnacle on how that song should be played on the drums.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinBeing perfectly honest, I like Slade on Thunderstruck more than Rudd. Thunderstruck is not a song that needs a good groove, but a song that needs power and speed. That's just me, and, for the majority of ACDC's catalog, a groove is needed.

That's because the Slade's style fits better. The robotic way of hitting the hi-hat kinda imitates the Angus licks and riffs. Even though, Rudd's version in No Bull with some groove on the snare is the best version of the song for me
    • AC/DC rock music: Goulash
    • Aug 5th 2019

Posted By: BallToucherThe thing about the Thunderstruck video thought, it's very well cut. Mallet might had directed it, but whoever his editor was, EDITED THE HELL OUT OF IT! Every Little detail is picked up at the right moment and that's why the video Works so well.

I'm starting to think maybe D/Child had a hand on that, too...

It was edited by Dave Gardiner over two days... 18th and 19th August 1990.
    • AC/DC rock music: 900
    • Aug 5th 2019

I agree with all the positive comments, this is a fantastic track which totally invigorated the whole AC/DC machine.

What amazes me, is that on paper it was a hell of a risk in some ways. A lot of it is not the epitome of the band. First, the arrangement is non-standard and has obviously had a lot of work (which can suck the life out of a song but does the opposite here). Then you have the big reverbs on the drums at those key moments - fantastic once you've absorbed it all and accepted they're going for a bit of production to bring out some dynamic moments...

There's that gate reverb on Brian's vocal, and the subtle reverb on Ang's main guitar lick...

I guess that because they really loved Bruce as a person as well as a producer, they trusted him and let him run with his ideas for production and mix? The producer takes massive credit for the song.

One issue with it, is it sounds a little light unless you really turn it up. I used to think the mastering was off on that one song, but I guess it's just quite subtle (at first) compared to the bombastic Fire Your Guns.

I also love the slippery solo. I learned it once but I wished I hadn't in a way because for a while listening to it lost its mystery a bit (I didn't get the twisty bit in the middle quite right, it was always a question mark exactly what he played, even slowing it down).

The Donington version is a step up though, that is an EPIC live performance - you'd think the vocals were touched up with some cheating, but no, he really sang it like that. Awesome.

Ah - and one other thing...... "ThunderstruUck....WHAAAO BABY, BABY!" - classic Brian!
    I still remember when it debuted on the radio. I hurried up and called my friend and told him to turn on the radio to listen to it. I cranked the volume as high as it could go. Hard to believe it's been about three decades since it came out. Time certainly flies. The Razor's Edge tour was the first time I saw the band. I will never forget it. July 3, 1991 at the Richfield Coliseum. Me and three of my friends went and it was fucking phenomenal. 18 years old at the time. Would love to go back to those days.
    In all seriousness re Desmond Child - a few tracks off TRE, TS included definitely have a different template in terms of writing - for me in particular the song intros. Is there truth in outside writing influence?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Aug 6th 2019

Never been a favourite of mine.
    Taking all the aspects of it one by one, it is a monster, and Mal in particular excels, but it just doesn't do it for me.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: angus1878
    • Aug 6th 2019 edited

as with all of AC/DC, first cuts off new albums,,eagerly anticipated..then "FUCKING HELL" factor on hearing it !!..

it is a shame all the corporates got hold of it and bled it dry, but hey !!