[ Sign In | Register ]

• AC/DC rock music: Cannon
    • Aug 3rd 2019

Any particular songs you flat out prefer in studio form over live versions, and vice versa?

Bad Boy Boogie - Live. Think live from the IYWB album....I'll pick that one over the studio every time. As great as the LTBR album is, that live version esp is killer and superior I think.

Hells Bells - Studio. One of my absolute favs, that strangely I've never heard a live version I personally prefer to the studio. That sounds crazy since DC is a live band I know, but anyway...
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Badlands66
    • Aug 4th 2019 edited

High Voltage - Live, especially the one from Donnington ‘91. Tons of energy.

Guns For Hire - studio, what I’ve heard from the Flick tour just lacks power.

Back In Black - virtually everything is better studio, Brian never recaptured his wailing live and the production is sonically perfect too, unbeatable.

Sin City - Live, especially the version on the double LP Live, it has more power when played faster with the particular sound they had on the TRE tour, even though it really belongs to Bon.

HAABPTB - Studio, just edges it over the Donnington ‘91 version which has massive power.

The Jack - Live, especially the extended “Gonorreah”versions with Bon.

Rocker - Live, should be obvious...it really falls flat in studio, kills live.

Gone Shootin’ - studio, just perfect there, impossible to do justice live.

Riff Raff - Live, kills on If You Want Blood, so much more power.

Thunderstruck - Waaaaaay better studio, never liked it much live.

Heatseeker - Live, especially the version on double LP Live, tons more power and love the opening riff by Mal.

Let There Be Rock - studio, hard to do it justice live, not to mention I really dislike the guitar wankery Angus insists on tackin’ on.

Highway To Hell - studio, just perfect there, hard to improve upon live.

Jailbreak - studio, even though the Donnington ‘91 version was massive. It really belongs to Bon.

Problemchild - Live, the one on If You Want Blood blows the studio version out of the water.
    I like mostly everything more in studio, cause I’m not a bootleg collector, but a few come to my mind that are better live-

Ballbreaker. No Bull kicks the shit out of the studio version

Rocker - IYWB version literally demolishes studio version

Guns For Hire - Detroit 83 just gets me more pumped than the studio version. Maybe it’s just seeing high quality footage of Brian in his prime. Also, the build up is better, and then Angus jumps off the amps. Explosive intro.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 4th 2019 edited

Prefer the studio versions of all the Mutt albums because of the sonic perfection and the bv's. FTATR in Largo '81 is an execption.

Better live versions:
    - DDDDC
    - Jailbreak
    - T.N.T.
    - HV
    - BBB
    - Sin City
    - FOTW. Even more power than on record
    - STP. See above
    - BB. Obvious
    - SUL
    - Satelite Blues
    - Safe in NYC. So much more balls live. One of the highlights in the setlist.
    - Train. A bit more pace live makes it more meaty.
    - BBF
    PTFOY - Live, the rare exception where a live version (Largo) is better than a Mutt studio track, better with more natural sounding drums, yet still punchy and
    Angus guitar has more crunch as well.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 4th 2019

Posted By: Badlands66PTFOY - Live, the rare exception where a live version (Largo) is better than a Mutt studio track, better with more natural sounding drums, yet still punchy and
    Angus guitar has more crunch as well.
    Agree
    Shot Down Flames is incredibly powerful when played live, especially the version on the LTBR movie and the SB Back in Black and FTATR bootlegs, Studio version doesn't do it justice, Hells Bells when played live sends chills down my back, you can probably understand why I like the BIB and FTATR Bootlegs
    Moneytalks. The live version on the live album shits on the studio version in my opinion. The studio version sounds too dry to me and I don’t remember the last time I’ve listened to the studio version
    She’s Got Balls from Bondi 77, far, far better than the studio cut. Angus plays some really amazing blues in the breakdown.
    • AC/DC rock music: Mysterio
    • Aug 5th 2019

TNT from High Voltage is better Studio than live. LTBRock is better than live than Studio. Same with Bad Boy Boggie. I think that AC/DC 's live is always better. Except as I have said TNT.
    First song that comes to mind is Are You Ready. Absolutely love the live version, never listen to the studio version.
    Sin City is way better live imo. Angus's added licks during the breakdown...classic.
    Live Wire live from 78 /79 over studio
    Gone shootin live - the solo is immense and song has so much more energy live
    Highway to hell - prefer album version - Bon never really nailed it for me live and Angus sounds weaker. Chords at start of album is legendary.
    Back in black - sooo much better live - any live version
    Gffh - a draw
    Heatseeker - played too fast live loses its groove - love album version
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Aug 6th 2019

Can’t think of a single song that isn’t even better live.
    TNT - live every time for me!

Agree with those saying Sin City as well.

Posted By: Badlands66Back In Black - virtually everything is better studio, Brian never recaptured his wailing live and the production is sonically perfect too, unbeatable.

I totally agree.

However, hearing Brian busting a gut on HB, STT or blasting out BIB - I don't care he doesn't quite capture what is on record.

Badlands66 is spot on about Gone Shootin' - has to be studio for me. Not saying I wouldn't kill to hear it live though...

For me Shot Down in Flames = live
    • AC/DC rock music: Sellen
    • Aug 7th 2019

The one that sticks out for me that i don't care for on studio album is - Fire your guns, That one Is really cool on Donington.
    Highway to Hell and Hells Bells are best for me in studio versions
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Aug 7th 2019

Bad Boy Boogie - Live Version is usually massive