To comment in the AC/DC forum [ Sign In | Register ]

Custom Search

ACDCfans.net

This forum is for fans of rock music, rock bands and rock concerts - and in particular AC/DC's brand of high-voltage rock 'n' roll music. ACDCfans.net brings you the latest AC/DC news and gives rock music fans and musicians a chance to meet others like them around the world.

To comment in the forum, you need to register for an account. Sign in to your account below or apply for membership.

•  
      AC/DC rock music: azel
    • Aug 1st 2019

So, back in the days of MTV the odd Tool song would come on, the only one I remember being "Prison Sex", and I'd be mesmorised by the video and quite like the music. But in my true fashion, I never pushed it to find out or listen more.
    Wind on to June this year, and they are headlining Download. So, Sunday night, sun going down and their symbol is raised above the drum kit and the band mooch onto the stage and launch into Aenima and for the next couple of hours I'm transfixed and completely blown away by a proper HEAVY rock band.
    Since then, I've grabbed everything I can get and have listened to little else (some Perfect Circle, Smashing Pumpkins and of course DC), and am now stoked with the news of a new album at the end of this month.

Any other Tool fans on here?
    Anyone else found a band well into their career and wondered, "What the hell have i missed and why?"
    • AC/DC rock music: Rammy
    • Aug 1st 2019

Tool are amazing.

Went to see them twice in their last tour which was in 2006/7 which makes AC/DC sound like a regular band who realease loads ha ha

One of my favourite bands do loads of Tool covers and to see it recorded is mind blowing. Let us know what you think...

And these 3 Indian dudes on a roof top is class (love the dog barking in the background)

•  
    • Aug 1st 2019

Will check out later.

I’ll be doing multiple dates on the next tour, might even travel abroad.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Jem
    • Aug 1st 2019

Only one thing this year will make me happier than this. TOOL are extraordinary.
    Tool is great. Excited to see em on it again.
    •  
    • Aug 2nd 2019 edited

Rammy,

"And these 3 Indian dudes on a roof top is class"

Mate......I just got totally lost in that! Brilliant.

Just gave the other three a couple of minutes each........will be all over them later, just superb. Thanks for sharing fella!
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Ian Sane
    • Aug 2nd 2019

Can't wait for the new TOOL album!!!
    I keep hearing stuff about Tool. I thought it was a bit of a meme at first but is there any reason they have exploded so recently in popularity?
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Inferno
    • Aug 2nd 2019 edited

Posted By: NoisePollutionI keep hearing stuff about Tool. I thought it was a bit of a meme at first but is there any reason they have exploded so recently in popularity?

Because they haven't put out new music in 13 years. They have always been very popular.

------

Tool singer Maynard James Keenan says he is relieved to have finally announced the title and release date to Tool's long-awaited new album, Fear Inoculum.

Keenan told Joe Rogan on the latest episode of Rogan's podcast that putting the info out there after so many years of anticipation, rumors and incessant questions from fans felt like a "weight" lifted off his chest..

Keenan confirmed the August 30 release day, announced the album title and added the news that Tool's music is finally going to be available on streaming services at the beginning of the podcast with Rogan. Later in the conversation he took a moment to post the news on the band's social media.

"It took ... that's a lot of work," Keenan said after a heavy sigh. "We are, the four of us [in Tool], are a lot of f---ing work, just to get anywhere, oh my God. ...Everything's a f---ing committee meeting and it always gets shut down."

When Rogan followed up, asking what the hurtles are for a band like Tool, Keenan replied, "Success." He emphasized that he's as much a part of the problem as any of his band mates.

"When you get successful, you think you're right about everything. And you're pretty sure that as that individual, 'I am right and you are wrong because I'm successful and we're successful because of me, not because of you.' It's not that band with us...There's a dynamic of like, 'I want this, and I've always gotten my way and that's why we're successful; because I don't compromise on this or that.' And I'm the same way."
    • AC/DC rock music: DC
    • Aug 2nd 2019

Tool is an amazing band and to me are similar to our favorite band in that they remain secretive and are true artists. Also Maynard has refrenced his like for Acdc before assuming they have had some influence. He has also covered dog eat dog with his other band apc. I am with Jem only announcements from Acdc could make me more excited than I am for the upcoming Tool release and tour
    •  
    • Aug 2nd 2019 edited

Tool album guide: where to start with one of heavy music’s weirdest bands

http://www.brooklynv...

10 Essential Tool tracks to stream right now!

https://www.louderso...
    •  
    • Aug 3rd 2019

That is a really fucking bizarre 10
    Pretty good top 10 for me - what would you have in place? Stinkfist is one glaring omission
    •  
    • Aug 3rd 2019

Still finding my way around the catalogue, but absence of Stinkfist and Right in two stand out. So difficult to do a top ten though. Not many fillers on their albums. Because their songs chop and change so much, every song has strong points. So many tracks elevate at some point.
    •  
    • Aug 3rd 2019

Lateralus and 46&2 were the first two that jumped out as omissions. Almost always the same with these lists. Hard to please.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: Thankass
    • Aug 3rd 2019

Is Tool the Dream Theater of heavy rock?
    Christ, these guys have blown up. First, my friend that likes rap started getting into them and said I should, too, since I like metal. Then, a youtuber that I follow on spotify started listening to them. Then I remembered this thread, so I'm like "fuck it, I'll check 'em out".

Seriously, I checked out Aenima (not bothering to copy paste the correct character), which came out in 96. That's not that old compared to ACDC, but why have they only now just blown up on the internet? Maybe they were popular in the past, but I'm only just now hearing of them and that seems to be the case with a lot of people.

Needless to say, I was surprised at how different it is. It's not very straightforward, there are no real "riffs", but they have an incredibly distinct style. It's angry, heavy, and somewhat dark, but it's not annoyingly-so for any of the three.

As I said, I checked out Aenima and didn't care for Stinkfist. Then, Eulogy started and I just couldn't stop listening to it. Then the "don't you fucking lie to me" part started and it was just like a revelation - this is pretty damn good. The music videos give off a very disturbing sort of "American Horror Story" vibe, but the band doesn't feel like your typical dark metal bullshit.

What the fuck.
    •  
    • Aug 6th 2019

No riffs, yet loads of hooks, no guitar solos as such, but pure guitar brilliance. A band of excellent musicians all coming together and free to do their own thing ala early Muse, Rush, Pink Floyd.

Great stuff. And like those other bands, the more I listen the more it grows.

Can't wait for the new album and tour.
    Posted By: ThankassIs Tool the Dream Theater of heavy rock?

The heavy rock Radiohead is the comparison you hear most often. Maynard is a massive Radiohead fan and said he took that as a compliment.

I also like Tool's refreshing lack of boring, wanky guitar solos.
    •  
    • Aug 6th 2019

Posted By: Alex Lebanon

The heavy rock Radiohead is the comparison you hear most often. Maynard is a massive Radiohead fan and said he took that as a compliment.

Hmm, i'm not so fond of Radiohead so i will listen to Tool with prejudice.. btw; aren't guitar solo's long dead and burried since 1992?
    Posted By: Thankass

Hmm, i'm not so fond of Radiohead so i will listen to Tool with prejudice.. btw; aren't guitar solo's long dead and burried since 1992?

What, not even the Bends? Everyone loves the Bends, surely? :)

I don't think it's a literal comparison more that - like Radiohead - Tool are a band apart who do their own thing away from the herd (musically and every other way) and somehow attract a massive following despite not being in an any way mainstream.
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DrBelford
    • Aug 6th 2019

Posted By: Thankassso i will listen to Tool with prejudice..

Don't. They're pretty good:)
    •  
    • Aug 6th 2019

Posted By: Thankass

What, not even the Bends? Everyone loves the Bends, surely? :)

I don't think it's a literal comparison more that - like Radiohead - Tool are a band apart who do their own thing away from the herd (musically and every other way) and somehow attract a massive following despite not being in an any way mainstream.

And like I said earlier about those other bands, Radiohead produce music that just grows. They are like the musical equivalent of Guinness, Olives and Indian food..........they are an acquired taste that just gets better and better the more you experience it!
    •  
    • Aug 6th 2019 edited

Posted By: Alex LebanonWhat, not even the Bends? Everyone loves the Bends, surely? :)
    I'm a casual when it comes to Radiohead (Creep, Street Spirit, Karma Police). I tried listening to OK Computer but i couldn't manage. It's not that i don't like complex compositions, but they have to be more on the rock side of the musical spectrum and without coming across as too pretentious

Posted By: DrBelfordDon't. They're pretty good:)
    I will.
    I don't enjoy Tool as much as I used to 6-7 years ago, but I still put on the odd song here or there on occasion. I'm still bewildered by the fact that we're getting a new album after 13+ years.
    •  
    • Aug 6th 2019

This new one should be easy for people to enjoy. ; )

The LP, TOOL's fifth full-length album, will sport seven tracks but will run an astounding 80 minutes, with virtually none of the songs adhering to the standard format for a radio single. As for the concept of the disc, Jones said it came to revolve around the number seven.

Jones explained: "I took a picture pointing to the number seven while we were recording, and a lot of the riffs Justin [Chancellor, bassist] and I brought in were in seven. You don't really go, 'I'm going to write a riff in seven!'" He added, "Without being too descriptive about the concept, the main thing is that the seven beat just kept coming up, and riffs in seven kept coming up. It was really weird!"
    •  
    • Aug 6th 2019

I'm not quite getting the Radiohead comparison. I can't stand Radiohead, but Tool is dark and interesting and heavy as hell.

I will admit that I was not a fan of their first album, and still don't like it that much, but the later albums brought a little more "fun" to their sound if that's the right word.
    Posted By: InfernoI'm not quite getting the Radiohead comparison. I can't stand Radiohead, but Tool is dark and interesting and heavy as hell.
    Agreed. Radiohead is just annoyingly depressed fuckery to me, but tool gives off a great atmosphere with some of the most angry and non-standard songs I've ever heard.
    Posted By: InfernoI'm not quite getting the Radiohead comparison. I can't stand Radiohead, but Tool is dark and interesting and heavy as hell.

I will admit that I was not a fan of their first album, and still don't like it that much, but the later albums brought a little more "fun" to their sound if that's the right word.

Well, Tool were enormously flattered by the comparison which does not surprise me in the least. Radiohead command massive respect from their peers even if they can be a little slow at returning the praise.

Each to their own, I guess, but at the end of the day Radiohead will go down in history as one of the most important and innovative rock bands of all time - the heirs to Pink Floyd. I like Tool a lot, but they will not. It's the difference between a major band and a minor band.
    Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Agreed. Radiohead is just annoyingly depressed fuckery to me.

You urgently need to sit down with the Bends and OK Computer, both titanic records - don't start with their 21 century stuff - it's not "annoyingly depressed fuckery" but i can see how you might describe their more recent stuff as such. :)
    •  
    • Aug 6th 2019

•  
    • Aug 6th 2019 edited

^ Four excellent tracks indeed. I would add:

•  
    • Aug 6th 2019

Posted By: Alex Lebanon^ Four excellent tracks indeed.

It was more of a comparison. The Radiohead tracks put me to sleep. The Tool tracks give me nightmares. : )
    Posted By: Inferno
    Posted By: Alex Lebanon^ Four excellent tracks indeed.

It was more of a comparison. The Radiohead tracks put me to sleep. The Tool tracks give me nightmares. : )

You scare easy :)
    I hear quite a bit of King Crimson in Tool - not directly but sort of their spirit.

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguin
    Agreed. Radiohead is just annoyingly depressed fuckery to me.

You urgently need to sit down with the Bends and OK Computer, both titanic records - don't start with their 21 century stuff - it's not "annoyingly depressed fuckery" but i can see how you might describe their more recent stuff as such. :)
    I'm not in a good position to shit on them, but I just find their sound... well, I just try to avoid some of that depressing alt-rock stuff. There's just something I really hate about it. Can't explain it very well, although I can respect the unique musicianship. Tool is different in that it's trying to be angry and unsettling. Even then, I don't love Tool, but there's something about their atmosphere and their anger that makes it good.
    •  
    • Aug 6th 2019

Posted By: MyCubiclePenguinI'm not in a good position to shit on them

I am. Radiohead sucks. Zzzzzzzzz.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2019

Title track released and pre-orders for new album from today apparently.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2019

•  
    • Aug 7th 2019 edited

^Sounds very promising. Might actually have to preorder:)

Thanks for posting this, Inferno!
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2019

I was wondering why the CD version was showing as $44 on Amazon.

"Tri-fold Softpack Video Brochure featuring: CD (79 minutes of music), 4” HD rechargeable screen with exclusive video footage, charging cable, 2 watt speaker, 36 page book + MP3 code (89 minutes of music)."
    •  
      AC/DC rock music: DustDevil
    • Aug 7th 2019

STOOL.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2019

Posted By: InfernoI was wondering why the CD version was showing as $44 on Amazon.

Me too, 99 € seemed a bit heavy :)
    • AC/DC rock music: Rocco
    • Aug 7th 2019

This is one of those bands I know the name of but couldn't name nor recognize one single song. A friend of mine whose a great fan of them has been singing high praises of them to me last weekend. Guess I need to check 'em out.
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2019

My goodness it’s not bad is it?
    •  
    • Aug 7th 2019

Posted By: JemMy goodness it’s not bad is it?

It's pretty fucking good.
    It takes a while to get going - initially I thought it sounded more Perfect Circle than Tool - but it hits its stride around the 7 minute mark. No classic but a decent appetiser.
    •  
    • Aug 8th 2019

First listen, wasn't sure. Second time it got me.
    I think the Perfect Circle sound comes from the fact Maynard's voice is pushed more forward as opposed to being slightly buried with the older Tool stuff.
    Posted By: azelFirst listen, wasn't sure. Second time it got me.
    I think the Perfect Circle sound comes from the fact Maynard's voice is pushed more forward as opposed to being slightly buried with the older Tool stuff.

Yes, that’s exactly it.